Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nada_cambia

Something I Dont understand

I am confused recently as I have always heard that saturated fats perhaps induce or at least dont help acne, but then people be recommending certain foods liike brazil nuts which are abundant in saturated fat, and other foods like coconut, another food rich in saturated fat...

So what I'm asking is, are these foods safe to eat, and if so, why are they safe to eat?

Thankyou very much for the help.

In a nutshell, saturated fats are good for you. Some of them are antibacterial in nature and bottom line is you need fats in your diet. Trans-fatty acids and oils are so bad for you...think margarine and cakes etc. They are not natural at all.

These foods are safe to eat. In fact, they will probably make you healthier.

Errrrrrr huh? Saturated fats are most certainly not good for you. Some saturated fats are less bad for you than others, but they're not what i would call "good"

Good

Saturated Fats - natural butter (over margerines) and Unrefined Raw Coconut Oil (antibacterial, etc), Palm Oil,

Unsaturated Fats - Olive Oil, Smart Balance* "butter', Nuts, Seeds

Animal - Chicken, Seafood (fish oil)

Vegetables

Questionable:

*There's also Canola Oil, Corn Oil, Sunflower Oil, Safflower Oil, Cotton Seed Oil, and Soybean oil, but some of these are Omega 6s and may encourage inflammatory prostaglandins PGE2

Bad:

Animal Fats - Mainly from Beef & Pork I guess. But much healthier if coming from organic sources (in terms of hormone content).

Trans Fats - Partially Hydrogenated & Hydrogenated Oils. They can trick the body into thinking they are Saturated fats, but are more damaging than saturated fats are because they are unnatural to the body. When you fry fats they may become hydrogenated which is why you want to use the most stable forms (Olive, Palm). However I guess it's even worse when you are frying foods with Trans Fats olready on them (microwaved butter popcorn, french fries, margarine)

There's different rationales with some of these oils. Some groups focus on their Saturated Fat content for causing problems, while other groups focus on their Omega 6s content for problems. So do with the Questionable list as you will.

(edit due to misinterpretation)

Animal sources of saturated fat (which really is where nearly all of it is found) should be limited. It seems vegetable sources of saturated fat (which are few...I think they all have been named in this thread, actually) aren't as bad, but nothing has established them as being "good" either

You are, quite simply, wrong on this matter. As I mentioned earlier, there are a limited number of saturated fats (there are different types) that can be beneficial such as MCT's and vegetable sources of saturated fats. The vast majority of saturated fats are found in animal sources and have repeatedly been shown to increase triglicerides, blood pressure and degradation of health.

From what I know so far bad fats affect you in several ways:

Fats - Can turn into (LDL) Cholesterol

Trans Fats - Boosts Inflammation via PGE2 Prostaglandins, IGF-1, and can supposedly create defective Insulin.

Bad Saturated Fats - Boosts Inflammation via PGE 2 Prostaglandins & IGF-1

Reasons this is a problem

A: Insulin - responsible for sugar and fat metabolism. It is what aids sugar into entering the cells, but can be hindered by excess fats in the blood competing for those very cells or due to the cells not "recognizing" it. Usually if your body has trouble utilizing Insulin, this is known as Insulin Resistance. Markers of Insulin Resistance are sometimes a higher amount of IGF-1 & a reduced amont of IGFBP-3 (binds IGF-1), but more usually a reduced amount of Sex Hormone Binding Globulin (SHBG), which binds Free Testosterone. Therefore, for some people when they overproduce Insulin or have HyperInsulinemia they will become Hyperandrogenic.

B: IGF-1 - This is also known as Insulin-like Growth Factor-1 and is called upon to lower our bodies' Insulin levels. Problem is that it is more potent than Insulin and is apart of what makes our cells, skin, glands, etc grow (sometimes needs the right hormones to activate it). So if you get too much of this you can end up possibly with overproduction of sebum, enlarged glands, tumors, and even cancers...depending on the way your genes choose to express this "problem"

C: Prostaglandins - These are our bodies "hormone regulators" and are produced from healthy fats. PGE1 is the good one that reduces inflammation and comes from Omega 3s, while PGE2 is the "bad" one that encourages inflammationand comes from, at least some, Omega 6s. Normally we get enough Omega 6 & 9 in our diets, but no where near enough Omega 3s.

D: Sebum - Contains a variety of "junk", including bacteria (EVERYONE has p. acnes bacteria), Omega 6s, DHT (potent androgen), etc. People get acne (or don't get it) whether they overproduce sebum or underproduce so what you really want is to inhibit what is contained within your sebum.

E: Cholesterol - While we need healthy cholesterol levels, our bodies also need cholesterol to produce Steriod Hormones (Progesterones, Androgens, & Estrogens). Insulin boosts Cholesterol Production, and for some other people it will as such also boost Androgen production (much more so than it will estrogen).

F: Bacteria - no doubt about it, if you have this you may be susceptible to getting a variety of skin inflammation disorders. This is how Antibiotics work, by reducing inflammation. Many theories here, but some bacteria love sugar, if you aren't able to metabolize this properly, this allows them a chance to grow (in skin, gut, etc). Also, if your skin cells overproliferate (over grow) and you hyperkeritinize (produces thicker skin) then this allows for bacteria to get trapped in your pores and also induce inflammation.

G: Sugar - We need a healthy amount of Sugar/Carbohydrates just as we do fats, but the problem comes in when you are unable to properly metabolize this sugaror when you are naturally consuming too muchof it. As such, the typeof sugars and the amountof sugar will induce various Insulin Response and when in excess can be converted into fat. This is why people wanting to lose weight or follow an "acne diet" (based on low carbing) should watch both their type & amount of, not just sugar, but the fats they consume for best results...of course your genes will express to you which type of diet, out of the many, your body prefers.

E: Androgens - Many sources say that this is the cause for sebum production. The potent androgen produced from Free Testosterone, DHT, calls upon IGF-1 when it's at the androgen receptors in your sebacous glands. What IGF-1 then does is encourage the sebaceous glands to growand the larger they grow, the more sebum they are able to produce. Hence, why it usually seems like some people with "invisible" pores have no acne, while people with larger pores have acne. They both are also responsible for ( inflammation,) skin cell proliferationand hyperkeritinization. This is why usually your most potent acne fighters that are prescriptions tend to be Anti-Androgens, either topically or orally.

HTH =)

...tangent incoming

Insulin is the most anabolic hormone in the body, moreso than anything else - I have known some guys that have injected insulin on a regular basis to gain muscle.

Scary stuff, but it works. I would never trust myself with that since the parameters that you have to work in are small - if one injects too much and not enough sugar/carbs are eaten afterwards, they could end up in a coma and die.

Yeah, the bad thing about insulin is that you will also gain fat. Testosterone and IGF-1 don't do that. Insulin is used a lot these days. Somehow it works very good with HGH especially, not sure what the mechanisms are behind that.

Hmmm...so what you are saying is thanks to the Negative Feedback Mechanism from when Insulin Rises, the pituitary will release GH. From there the Liver takes the GH and converts it into IGF-1 in order to lower serum insulin levels. So yeah...it makes sense that it would reduce fat accumulation, since Insulin can boost fat accumulation (but it's doesn't neccessarily reduce acne). Kool.

Thats not how it does it though. Exogenous Growth Hormone causes signifigant hyperglycemia...I don't recall the explanation on how it causes fat loss, but it interferes with lipase somehow and causes localized fat loss in the area injected, in addition to allowing ridiculously high caloric intakes with no fat gain.

I wouldn't mess with the stuff cuz its expensive, and I don't want to end up a type 2 or have a protruding jaw.. heh

You are, quite simply, wrong on this matter. As I mentioned earlier, there are a limited number of saturated fats (there are different types) that can be beneficial such as MCT's and vegetable sources of saturated fats. The vast majority of saturated fats are found in animal sources and have repeatedly been shown to increase triglicerides, blood pressure and degradation of health.

show us PROOF that SATURATED FAT increases trigs, blood pressure and degradation of health.

and then check out this

check out Dr. Eades research

Check out Jimmy moore.

Check out tom naughton's movie "FATHEAD"

Check out Mary Enig.

Check out Gary Taubes.

Check out Mark Sisson.

The belief that Saturated Fat is so "evil" is a myth. (yes, even animal fat)

I have heard that taking unsaturated fatty acids like extra virgin olive oil really helps in curing acne,but not sure about saturated,anyways I limits its amount as it is not really good and also makes us fat

I have heard that taking unsaturated fatty acids like extra virgin olive oil really helps in curing acne,but not sure about saturated,anyways I limits its amount as it is not really good and also makes us fat

no. it does not make us fat.

dietary fat has nothing to do with body fat.

Too many calories make us fat. (overeating)

Excess carbs make us fat.

Insulin resistance makes us fat.

Leptin suppressing foods make us fat.