Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
deus_ex

Substitute for 2.5% BP?

Hey guys, just recently discovered this site, and it feels good knowing that I'm not alone in having crappy skin. :P (Well, not wanting anyone else to have bad skin, but you know what I mean.)

Anyways, I have some questions for you. First of all, I'm currently using a 10% BP and a cleanser which contains salicylic acid. The thing is, at the moment I'm not having terrible breakouts (since I'm also on anti-biotics), but my skin is a bit reddish and I have areas of pimple-like blotches, almost exclusively on my cheeks. Not very much at all, but I wouldn't really describe myself as "clear" just yet.

The thing is, I've been thinking about switching the 10 BP for another one which doesn't dry out my skin as much, but living in Sweden, the lowest I can go here is 5%. Will this be adequate? Also, are there any benefits if I'd switch my cleanser to one which doesn't contain salicylic acid? I think I heard somewhere that you shouldn't combine it with BP.

Anyway, really thankful if someone could give me some tips, it would be greatly appreciated!

Hey, well I've had some of the pink blotches that you were talking about and I'm fairly sure they were caused by using too many irritating products, as many find using BP & SA together irritating this may be where you're getting the blotches from. I wouldn't make many changes all at once, maybe change the BP to the 5%, see how your skin reacts (hopefully It won't dry you out as much and still give you good results) then depending on the results you could look into a new cleanser, good luck :D

Thanks!

Well the thing is, last year I managed to get my skin completely clear, but then the cleanser I used to use was discontinued in the stores and I had to switch. I guess I always attributed the blotches to the winter that followed and the air getting colder/drier, but it might just have been that switch that caused it all along.

I'll look into it tomorrow and see what I can find at the store. I'll still stay tuned for any replies or tips though.