Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AI3forever

Does anybody with severe scarring feel really happy?

Scars have totally mind-f**ked me badly.

Anyways, does anyone here with severe scarring who genuinely feel happy everyday? Are there? I mean, can one look in the mirror with a face full of holes and smile at it? For me, I get a gut wrenching feeling in my stomach everytime I have to face the mirror. Even if I tried to smile, it feels like the kind of smile you try to muster when an enemy has totally defeated and humiliated you and is forcing you to smile for his pleasure.

That said, is there REALLY anyone out there with severe scarring who feels no different at all from having normal skin?

I get the feeling you experience every time I take my long bathroom mirror and walk to my apartment window during day light. Mirror +daylight makes my skin look gouged. I can count 14 deep and wide holes on my left cheek (index finger size), six deep and wide ones on my right cheek and the kind of scarring that is too severe to 'count out' on my temples and forehead.

Edited by ylem

Do red marks cound.i Mean mine aint severe they are moderate .but they are fading and soon they will be gone. But i get the same feeling as you guys when i look at my face sideways because thats where mostly all of the redmarks are :(

I have no severe scarring, but I am concerned at how emotionally distraught you are over your appearance. While the touchy-feely part of me wants to tell you that appearance doesn't mean anything, etc., the logical part of me understands why you're upset. Just know that there are as many treatment for acne scars as there are for acne itself. Chemical peels can completely erase shallow scars, lasers can remove larger ones, and if your scars are truly SEVERE, then certain injections can definitely improve them. The depth of your scars is really the only aspect that is somewhat challenging to treat; the discoloration is easily repaired with PDL or IPL laser treatments. Please remember that with enough determination (and money), you CAN remove your scars. I have seen miracle skin transformations via peels and lasers. Trust me, you are not an exception. Have hope!

I have no severe scarring, but I am concerned at how emotionally distraught you are over your appearance. While the touchy-feely part of me wants to tell you that appearance doesn't mean anything, etc., the logical part of me understands why you're upset. Just know that there are as many treatment for acne scars as there are for acne itself. Chemical peels can completely erase shallow scars, lasers can remove larger ones, and if your scars are truly SEVERE, then certain injections can definitely improve them. The depth of your scars is really the only aspect that is somewhat challenging to treat; the discoloration is easily repaired with PDL or IPL laser treatments. Please remember that with enough determination (and money), you CAN remove your scars. I have seen miracle skin transformations via peels and lasers. Trust me, you are not an exception. Have hope!

You dont know what you're talking about pal. Its not that easy as you think.

About looking in the mirror and feeling like shit --> yes, me too. Everyday

You dont know what you're talking about pal. Its not that easy as you think.

About looking in the mirror and feeling like shit --> yes, me too. Everyday

^ That's what I was thinking... I know he was trying to help, but if you don't have pitted scars you really don't know how hard it is to get rid of them or how they make you feel.

Sapphire, you sure do look good in your pictures! Back to business, Jvkea was really just advocating a stick to it attitude. The problem for a lot of people is the cost. I have dropped 8k over 2 years with Re:pair. I haven't had to deal with pitted scars, so I can't do anything but post this.

"Punch excision and grafting

For deep ice pick scars, the only effective treatment is complete removal of the scar. A small, round, cookie-cutter-like device (called a punch) is used to cut out the scar and the edges of the wound are then sewn together with a suture. In this case, a deep, large scar is traded for a tiny line scar that can later be treated to further blend into the rest of the skin. Larger scars can be removed and then filled with a skin graft, taken from skin (usually behind the ear). Grafts are later contoured with dermabrasion to blend them into the rest of the skin. "

I am constantly researching this when I am not on financial or political forums.

http://www.dermanetwork.org/information/acne_scars.asp

I haven't had to deal with pitted scars, so I can't do anything but post this.

Dudley...you've never had pitted scars??? Why did you have the dermabrasion, co2 laser, and fraxel x 3? Just curious....

And, I agree with the others -- these scars have completely shattered my self-esteem and confidence. I am completely mind f***ed.

well for me, i wake up every morning happy because i have been blessed to live another day and I am for the most part healthy and have no disabilities.. if you look at other people and some of the problems someone else goes through, you would feel different about your scars.. i for one have not let my scarring stop me from living my life, i havent stopped going out or trying to meet girls and i sure wont let it stop me from living life.. i refuse to let years pass by depressed and locked up in my room because i let something that i cant change rite now get the best of me.. i just have a different outlook on life i guess and thats why for me things havent really changed now then they were pre-scars.. i look forward to my weekends, i look forward to what every day has in store for me, i look forward to enjoying every minute of my life as much as i can because u never know when all of that will be taken away from you

would u trade acne scarring to be wheelchair bound for the rest of your life? would u choose it over having to be blind or deaf? having acne scars or cancer? think about real problems people go through instead of something we can do something about.. f*ck acne scars, live your life

well for me, i wake up every morning happy because i have been blessed to live another day and I am for the most part healthy and have no disabilities.. if you look at other people and some of the problems someone else goes through, you would feel different about your scars.. i for one have not let my scarring stop me from living my life, i havent stopped going out or trying to meet girls and i sure wont let it stop me from living life.. i refuse to let years pass by depressed and locked up in my room because i let something that i cant change rite now get the best of me.. i just have a different outlook on life i guess and thats why for me things havent really changed now then they were pre-scars.. i look forward to my weekends, i look forward to what every day has in store for me, i look forward to enjoying every minute of my life as much as i can because u never know when all of that will be taken away from you

would u trade acne scarring to be wheelchair bound for the rest of your life? would u choose it over having to be blind or deaf? having acne scars or cancer? think about real problems people go through instead of something we can do something about.. f*ck acne scars, live your life

I understand your outlook, and I recognize that others are in bad situations, many times even worse, yet the scars still affect my self-esteem and confidence and as a result I've become extremely depressed. If I only had minor scars, I would still consider myself very attractive, but these scars have ruined me. I know that appears shallow, and typically I would consider myself far from shallow, but I just can't stop feeling this way. I'll get better for a while, but I always end up sad again. Plus, this is a real problem when trying to attract a partner...like it or not, relationships usually start with physical attraction...it limits possible partners. Also, I've had a lot of difficult situations (real problems) occur throught out my childhood to present, and nothing has been as difficult for me to cope with as these scars.

Guest Timehealsall

I would not say i have severe acne scarring (far from it actually) But i have these 3 icepick scars (or maybe they are scarred pores?) on the side of my nose and one on the bridge of my nose, and these fuckers are extremely prominent.

The ones one the side of my nose ive had for 7 years and they still have a little "redness" where the icepick scars/scarred prores are. Its weird because i never had acne there but i think i had blackheads and i never fucking remember picking at them. Does anyone know if you can atleast get rid of the redness of the area where these icepick scars/scarred pores are?

I also have some mild scarring on my cheeks and it gives me a rough appearance. Granted it is no where close to what anyone would consider as "Severe" but it really affects me emotionally. Now i am not a vain person or superficial, but unfortunately for me, naturally i am probably a 4/10 on the looks scale. Add in the pimples + scarring.... FML

I haven't had to deal with pitted scars, so I can't do anything but post this.

Dudley...you've never had pitted scars??? Why did you have the dermabrasion, co2 laser, and fraxel x 3? Just curious....

And, I agree with the others -- these scars have completely shattered my self-esteem and confidence. I am completely mind f***ed.

An agressive repetitive treatment is the only thing that I have found to work for rolling scars. I have seen what I call icepick scars in some of the pictures, and I did not have those, but I had about everything else.. I will have my 4th Re:pair(I prefer not to use the "Fraxel" name because of all the confusion with Re:Store) in about a month and may do yearly tune ups thereafter. It can really f**k with your mind so you must be constantly on the attack. It does no good to give up on yourself so why bother.

Scars have totally mind-f**ked me badly.

Anyways, does anyone here with severe scarring who genuinely feel happy everyday? Are there? I mean, can one look in the mirror with a face full of holes and smile at it? For me, I get a gut wrenching feeling in my stomach everytime I have to face the mirror. Even if I tried to smile, it feels like the kind of smile you try to muster when an enemy has totally defeated and humiliated you and is forcing you to smile for his pleasure.

That said, is there REALLY anyone out there with severe scarring who feels no different at all from having normal skin?

In a word: no.

You get used to it, and you get to the stage where you are past caring, but it's important not to confuse that with being 'happy'.

I'm definitely a happy person now, but it's taken years for my severe scarring to become more moderate. It HAS happened, though, with perseverance and home treatments. I still have a couple of rolling scars that are kinda severe, but the rest of my complexion looks MUCH better. I think that the improvement makes me happier with my complexion, even if I'm not satisfied.

I think if I accepted that I will always have this kind of scarring it would make me depressed. But I see for myself how much my scars have improved and I plan out future strategies to get even more improvement (rolling, subcision, excision, lasers, etc.) I won't give up, and you shouldn't, either. What doesn't work for me may work wonders for you.

My happiness is no longer tied in with my appearance. I may not be happy about where I'm at, but I won't give up on myself that easily! ;)

Haven't seen some in my family for a while. I wonder what their reaction would be to seeing how my skin looks now!

No, and yes.

I completely understand where you are coming from. I wake up every morning and know that today I have acne scars and it makes me want to sleep for the rest of my life.

These bouts of depression cannot be stopped but for you, me and everyone else experiencing this kind of pain, don't sacrifice your life to low self esteem; it will haunt you time to time but we must simply let go of those mental chains that constrict us.

Here is an exercise that I want you to do, that I do.

Gut up close to a mirror and look at your scars, know every one of them.

Take a step back and see only yourself, a person who will tolerate those scars and their potential consequences. This person will go out today like any other person and live their life because these scars will not keep him or her hidden. Smile, know your new mental reaction to people looking at you (play it cool, be yourself and not what the scars make you***** #1 phase 10,000 pts.), talk to yourself as if the you in the mirror were someone else, joke around, be loose.

Recognize that you can appreciate yourself and will appreciate yourself. Appreciate yourself enough to let go of someone who might look at you and think poor things about you, someone who might say something nasty, and someone who might stare. You are not your appearance, you are only what is inside, a person with a life to live : )

Tomorrow you may feel poorly about yourself, it is inevitable, but you will have time to live each day in peace with yourself. Reference this if necessary, in the event that your feeling awful but you forget this exercise. It has worked wonders for me.

You might also want to even imagine being any number of other people like movie stars, singers or someone with some other problem (I prefer singer because I know that if I got up on a stage and singed WW3 would happen). So, imagine you have people on you neck, all angry at you and making fun of you, are you going to let it upset you or dismiss it? Remembering where the source comes from always helps in that situation and the source is ignorance. People get trigger happy when they aren't the boot of a joke but as I can recall, they weren't that far themselves to be in those shoes. Being an ignorant bully is the worst character flaw. When you feel like you're being stared at and judged, let it go for the exact same reason and be yourself.

I think that just about sums it up, off topic but it is a tool and a reality check (yep, it is reality yo) that helps pass over low self esteem.

Hope you get the concept I was going for (I'm not only a terrible singer but also a terrible writer),

the best of luck to ya,

love you, love yourself,

have a nice one,

adios amigo! :dance:

I would say my left cheek is moderately scarred with three finger sized deeper scars and one smaller scar and two moderate scars on my right side. The rest of my complexion is pretty good, no acne which I am grateful for. It is hard to deal with when I see bad lighting, but I am looking to improve it this year again with some money. It is a challenge to not let the stress of it overwhelm me, but when I don't I can have as happy of a life as the next. I guess it is a choice.

i have bad scarring and im never happy..the only time im a lil happy is when im playing tennis or drunk out of my mind which i try not to do lol...

Edited by Steve man

I'm definitely a happy person now, but it's taken years for my severe scarring to become more moderate. It HAS happened, though, with perseverance and home treatments. I still have a couple of rolling scars that are kinda severe, but the rest of my complexion looks MUCH better. I think that the improvement makes me happier with my complexion, even if I'm not satisfied.

I think if I accepted that I will always have this kind of scarring it would make me depressed. But I see for myself how much my scars have improved and I plan out future strategies to get even more improvement (rolling, subcision, excision, lasers, etc.) I won't give up, and you shouldn't, either. What doesn't work for me may work wonders for you.

My happiness is no longer tied in with my appearance. I may not be happy about where I'm at, but I won't give up on myself that easily! ;)

Haven't seen some in my family for a while. I wonder what their reaction would be to seeing how my skin looks now!

What kind of home treatments have you done?

No, and yes.

I completely understand where you are coming from. I wake up every morning and know that today I have acne scars and it makes me want to sleep for the rest of my life.

These bouts of depression cannot be stopped but for you, me and everyone else experiencing this kind of pain, don't sacrifice your life to low self esteem; it will haunt you time to time but we must simply let go of those mental chains that constrict us.

Here is an exercise that I want you to do, that I do.

Gut up close to a mirror and look at your scars, know every one of them.

Take a step back and see only yourself, a person who will tolerate those scars and their potential consequences. This person will go out today like any other person and live their life because these scars will not keep him or her hidden. Smile, know your new mental reaction to people looking at you (play it cool, be yourself and not what the scars make you***** #1 phase 10,000 pts.), talk to yourself as if the you in the mirror were someone else, joke around, be loose.

Recognize that you can appreciate yourself and will appreciate yourself. Appreciate yourself enough to let go of someone who might look at you and think poor things about you, someone who might say something nasty, and someone who might stare. You are not your appearance, you are only what is inside, a person with a life to live : )

Tomorrow you may feel poorly about yourself, it is inevitable, but you will have time to live each day in peace with yourself. Reference this if necessary, in the event that your feeling awful but you forget this exercise. It has worked wonders for me.

You might also want to even imagine being any number of other people like movie stars, singers or someone with some other problem (I prefer singer because I know that if I got up on a stage and singed WW3 would happen). So, imagine you have people on you neck, all angry at you and making fun of you, are you going to let it upset you or dismiss it? Remembering where the source comes from always helps in that situation and the source is ignorance. People get trigger happy when they aren't the boot of a joke but as I can recall, they weren't that far themselves to be in those shoes. Being an ignorant bully is the worst character flaw. When you feel like you're being stared at and judged, let it go for the exact same reason and be yourself.

I think that just about sums it up, off topic but it is a tool and a reality check (yep, it is reality yo) that helps pass over low self esteem.

Hope you get the concept I was going for (I'm not only a terrible singer but also a terrible writer),

the best of luck to ya,

love you, love yourself,

have a nice one,

adios amigo! :dance:

You expressed yourself well. We all know the singer Seal. Most people would consider him severely scarred and perhaps even facially disfigured. Yet, he puts himself out in the world and continues to express himself and his talent. Oh yes, apparently a supermodel thinks he's pretty attractive. So, take heart and keep expressing yourself to the world.

Reality is this and I apologize beforehand if it sounds rough, but:

I know that I have really bad skin and my scars are worse than 95% of the people I'll casually walk into, but things can be so much worse in relativity.

The amount of people with disfiguring scars due to automobile accidents, serious burns, battlefield injuries, etc., they have lost the majority of not only their skin, but facial integrity. It sucks, I wish life could be perfect, but reality is that it never will be.

Think about this as well, even for normal people, most will start to develop wrinkles into their 30s which will become deeper with time. Decades in the sun and limited awareness of proper skin care will cause most to have serious skin issues in the future. What made me oddly more accepting about my scars is that in about 20 years (I'm 25) my scarred skin will look relatively normal with everyone else's saggy skin. Actually it will probably be better than most because I constantly educate myself on improving my skin;

Time will help, advances in biotechnology with make scar management a thing of the past in 5-10 years in my opinion.

But don't get me wrong, every time I see myself in the mirror I think, 'ugh...' even moreso in harsher lighting. Does it make me sad? Hell yeah it does, but I'm not going to waste the next 10-20 years of my life focused on just my scars.

i totally agree with u aejira..sometimes i just get sooo fustrated and get really down but hopefully ur right and in 5 years there is at least a solid treatment for scars..meanwhile i guess ill focus on being a better person and not compare my skin with others

Edited by Steve man

Exactly Steve, the scientific/medical fields will push to develop more advancements to limit and eventually altogether eliminate scarring. Why? Because whoever can develop that medication will be the next richest person on the planet...

My plan is to do what I can that won't increase my current scarring, get a good job and secure some cash, and be one of the first to buy in when it becomes commercial.

even if someone finds a cure for scars if will take a very long time for it to be approved..the approval process in this country for drugs is ridiculously long look at isolagen and recell..I might just take a journey over to Dr. Kahn in london he has given someone with acne scars the biggest improvement ive ever seen in my lifetime!

Edited by Steve man