Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BeadyB

Getting conflicting opinions on YOGURT

Ok.

I've been told that Yogurt is great for acne, because it contains probiotics and helps kill toxins inside your body.

But,

I've also been told that because yogurt is dairy (made from milk) that it can aggravate acne and worsen the condition.

So conflicted.

I eat Turtle Mountain Coconut Yoghurt. To me it tastes better than regular yoghurt, but it isn't dairy. Plus it has probiotics. You could try it out. You can get it at Whole Foods.

Try it and find out.

This is the answer to every "will this make me breakout?1!?!?!?" question. There are no universals that hold true for everyone.

The probiotics are good for health and digestion therefore for Acne. But dairy is bad for acne for a number of reasons. How bad depends on your level of intolerance and the source of the dairy. Yogurt is better than milk. Organic products from pastures animals are better. Goat is better than cow.

So basically, yogurt is low on the "dairy breakout" scale, but could still pose problems if I'm sensitive.

Thanks a bunch. :D

Guess its trial and error. Joy.

Just throwing this out there, yogurt has helped me a lot. I eat organic yogurt, plain. Can get it at Wally World with the cow on it.

Not only that, but i now use a yogurt mask, lol. so yogurt is huge for me now. I never used/ate yogurt before about a month ago, just RARELY ate yogurt before. But yeah, throw some berries in your yogurt, eat at night for a desert, I think its great for the skin to eat the last thing before bed.

The probiotics are good for health and digestion therefore for Acne. But dairy is bad for acne for a number of reasons. How bad depends on your level of intolerance and the source of the dairy. Yogurt is better than milk. Organic products from pastures animals are better. Goat is better than cow.

Yes.

It's all about moderation, people. If you are lactose sensitive, you can also make lactose free yogurt using lactose free milk. The digestive upset is what really gets me with this, so this helps. And as always, remember, everyone is different.

I started eating yogurt everyday about a month ago while being completely clear. I thought I could handle it so everyday for about 2 weeks I ate it and until I started getting big, deep pimples on my jawline. So if you are sensitive to any type of dairy product, I would watch out.

To be honest, I don't know what I'm sensitive to. My acne is so random that I have no idea whats causing this. I just started getting acne this year. Started out as a spot or two that would turn into a scab or a staph infection. I saw a derm about the staph and she immediatley said I have adult onset acne and prescribed my topicals and antibiotics and birth control. Now, after seeing her, I have more acne than I've ever had in my life. Got a cyst/boil on wednesday and now I have Impetigo again (staph infection).

Its childish to blame the derm, but I do. I really do. I had maybe a spot a month beforehand. Now its out of control. And I thought it was hormonal, but I get spots all the time now. UGH. At this point, its probably hormones and stress. I regret ever seeing a dermatologist.

Sorry for the unrelated rant...Thanks for the help.

Im fairly sure it causes me to breakout, but thats probably because when I buy a 450g pot of Yeo Valley strawberry organic (and orgasmic) I end up uncontrolably eating half the pot. 100g just doesnt seem like much though, so I duno.

I would say yogurt is good. I used a yogurt/oatmeal/honey mask today and everytime I do I love it. It helps take away the redness in my skin too :)

Ok.

I've been told that Yogurt is great for acne, because it contains probiotics and helps kill toxins inside your body.

But,

I've also been told that because yogurt is dairy (made from milk) that it can aggravate acne and worsen the condition.

So conflicted.

The realist post you will ever read.

Used to be a huge fan of yogurt. It is probiotic! It helps digestive system! It tastes great! It comes in awesome flavors. Was eating 1 cup a day for months.

Then....

Diarrhea like never before. Stuff was not even coming out solid at all. Just pure liquid. I stopped eating yogurt. Still it came out. After awhile after stopping eating yogurt, I got back to normal. Never will I eat yogurt unless it is a last resort or rarely.

I have zero doubt it messed with the good bacteria in the colon and digestive track making all food be digested horribly.

This is a true story from a person that went from loving it to hating it with passion.

To be honest, I don't know what I'm sensitive to. My acne is so random that I have no idea whats causing this. I just started getting acne this year. Started out as a spot or two that would turn into a scab or a staph infection. I saw a derm about the staph and she immediatley said I have adult onset acne and prescribed my topicals and antibiotics and birth control. Now, after seeing her, I have more acne than I've ever had in my life. Got a cyst/boil on wednesday and now I have Impetigo again (staph infection).

Its childish to blame the derm, but I do. I really do. I had maybe a spot a month beforehand. Now its out of control. And I thought it was hormonal, but I get spots all the time now. UGH. At this point, its probably hormones and stress. I regret ever seeing a dermatologist.

Sorry for the unrelated rant...Thanks for the help.

Topicals, antibiotics AND birth control? Could you possibly ask for a worse dermatologist?

1. Topical treatments do nothing more than treat the symptoms of a bigger, most likely internal, problem.

2. There's really little benefit to birth control. It can cause blood pressure issues, blood clots, and even acne. Usually within the first 3 months, you're more likely to break out from it before it helps clear you up and there's also the risk that if you ever stop, the acne will return. BCP can really screw up your hormones as when you're on it, your body stops making it's own.

3. Antibiotics will do absolutely nothing long term for your acne. It will kill the good bacteria in your body along with the bad, which creates the strong potential for even more acne.

Long story short - you may want to consider tossing the topicals and putting down the pills. Go a more natural route with your diet.

Tips that may help you:

- Cut out dairy. This has helped a lot of people here and this includes yogurt.

- Increase your intake of vegetables

- Drink plenty of water

- Avoid anything with processed sugars or high fructose corn syrup. entirely has helped a great deal.

- Exercise and get sunlight.

It should hopefully clear your skin back up. I would definitely stop listening to your derm