Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AnonymourProblems

My Accutane Log =]

Well first of all my name is Ben. :)

I'm 18 from Australia and have struggled a bit with acne since hitting puberty. After years of failed over the counter 'crap' I decided enough is enough. The dermatologist wasted no time starting me on (Ro)Accutane. I just bought my first box the other day. After Googling it I expected to pay $138AU for a box of 60 tablets. But thankyou Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme, I only paid $33.

I'm meant to take 2 tablets a day and on the box it says 20mg. So I'm on 40mg a day? :P

Current Acne Situation

My jawline has many pimples on and under the surface. Some feel deep. I am not looking forward to my initial breakout. My forehead and the hairline on the back of my neck has a few pimples on it.

My shoulders (especially my left?) leave much to be desired. Lots of pimples on my shoulders...:(

Past Experience

ProActive: Expensive venture...and didn't do much at all.

Benzac AC: No change.

Akamin: No change.

Epiduo: I thought this would do it. But no.

So I guess Accutane is the next step for me.

It's now day 3 (?) and I've had 4/60 tablets.

I usually steer away from discussing my acne so this is kinda hard to share my experience with you guys. But you all share your experiences so I guess this is the least I can do.

Stay tuned for some pictures...if I can muster the courage.

Edited by AnonymourProblems

why hey there new friend..

another Australian joins the Accutane ranks.

i was scared too when i first started talking about my skin.. but it definitely helps I'll tell you that much. my initial outbreak was the worst my skin has ever looked, I'm not going to lie and tell you otherwise, but it did stop and I'm getting better everyday (middle of week 6 now). the texture of your skin will visibly improve too! yay!

all in all this is a tough process, with the outcome that we all dream about. so goodluck and hang in there.

:)

j x

Hi! Welcome to the boards!

Don't worry about the IB, some people don't get one and their skin just gets better. If you look at jerichoa and faithinhim, their logs - they didn't have ib's! With mine, it was just the stuff that was under the skin already. The few bumps that's were there turned into spots. Some of them turned into cysts, some of the tiny white heads. They didn't all come at once, it happened over a three week period. At the time I thought it was the worst I'd looked, but looking back, it really wasn't! And the cysts were gone and just red marks within a week!

Best of luck to you!!

Hi, my son Daniel is 17.5 and about to start on roacatane after trying everything. He has severe acne vulgaris and his skin is very very painful. Any advice about this drug and side effects would be most grateful to hear and understand what is or will happen when he starts the treatment. A doc in Switzerland will be monitoring him and doing all the tests etc. .

Hi, my son Daniel is 17.5 and about to start on roacatane after trying everything. He has severe acne vulgaris and his skin is very very painful. Any advice about this drug and side effects would be most grateful to hear and understand what is or will happen when he starts the treatment. A doc in Switzerland will be monitoring him and doing all the tests etc. .

I will be updating this log as often as I can with progress; good and bad.

Keep checking back :).

Day Two.

Acne Changes:

Nothing changed. At all.

Side Effects:

I'm REALLY tired but I guess thats because I worked really hard this week.

EDIT: I just noticed my scalp is really itchy. Might not be the Accutane.

Could it be too early for side-effects?

Hey dude!

Wow no offence but crap time to start the drugs huh, heading straight into the Australian summer ! ! hope your not a surfer ! :cool:

Yeah actually I agree, Reading my thread does sound pretty depressing! but to be honest its prob not as bad as I always make it out to be . . . Try reading the "Positive accutane experiences" page thing, It makes you feel a bit better!It is hard though, But (hopefully) worth it.

My advise would be to keep updating your log thing, it kinda feels good to just let everything out and gives you a chance to reflect on changes ect (or maybe thats just a girl thing?).

Good luck dude, look forward to reading ya posts.

:cool:

@ longboardbarbie: Thanks for the reply. :). I checked out the positive experiences section and I felt heaps better...but my mouse drifted onto the negative experiences section...and that deflated me a little bit. But I'll be praying I have good luck with my first course...:pray:

Day 3 (Well more like 2.5)

I usually update this at the end of the day, but I thought I'd make a mention of a little change I noticed. Never in my entire life have I had pimples on my temple. But this morning I got some. REALLY weird.

I also woke up this morning nad my skin is really tight on my face.

I hope this is normal... :shifty:

Day 3 (Finished)

Noticed a bit of dryness around my nostrils.

My face feels really tight and a mild burning sensation... :redface:

Any suggestion for the tight skin? I thought maybe Vaseline Intensive Care might work...

Maybe not :(

'til next time,

:rolleyes:

I just started mine too and i've already got the dryish skin feeling... try Avene skin calming moisturiser... its good :)

good luck!!

X

Day 3 (Finished)

Noticed a bit of dryness around my nostrils.

My face feels really tight and a mild burning sensation... :redface:

Any suggestion for the tight skin? I thought maybe Vaseline Intensive Care might work...

Maybe not :(

'til next time,

:rolleyes:

Day 4

I don't plan on updating this EVERY day...but today I'm feeling quite happy. :angel:

I mean, I got a new pimple on my shoulder and on my chin...but this morning I noticed my face wasn't as red as usual...

Also during work I noticed my face felt like it was mildy sunburnt all day. I thought this was weird.

I got home and just as I got into the shower I noticed my top lip was starting to peel. Call me a weirdo but this made me a little teensy bit happy, because this means the medication is starting to work...I think :think:

'til next time, :)

Day 5

Skin:

Well my skin isn't too bad I suppose...I few new pimples but nowhere near as flared up.

But then at work I was in the sun for like 10 minutes and I felt my skin burning...being a ginger doesn't help AT ALL. So I spent the rest of the day with a towel on my head.

Emotions:

Usually my skin doesn't worry me alot but I think it's starting to. Nothing to do with the Accutane...I am just fed up with having shit skin. Whenever I talk to people I feel as if they aren't lookign at me...just my acne.

Usually it doesn't worry me but I feel as if the mask is slipping...I really want to see some sort of improvement...and FAST!

That sun is flippan harsh and its coming into summer! Argh!

Accutane sure does take its time dude, Results sure aint instant and yes it does become extreamly discouraging. But flick back to that Positive page (DONT go back onto the negative page!) and remember that its going its be worth it. And when you feel that people are staring at your skin, remember that one day your face will be more milky smooth than theirs and you'l be the one with the great skin theyl be jealous of!

;)

Day 6

I'll start off today's log with a short anecdote. When I was a child (of maybe 8 or 9) my mother used to tell me to stop scratching my sores (like scratches or cuts). I'd say I couldn't because they are really itchy. Her reply was always, 'Itchiness is a sign of a healing wound.'

I hope to God she was correct because my face is ITCHY AS!!!

Other than that not much has happened. Same old pimples. Only one new one below my nose but it isnt that noticeable...yet.

Still a little dry. Oralife seems to be helping with the lips.

I also bought some Rooibos tea from the supermarket because people (from this site) think it is wicked good. So I thought I might give it a try.

I also switched bought Nivea Intensive Moisturising Body Lotion for my face because Vaseline Intensive Care stung a tiny bit.

'til next time. :)

PS: I just got MSN on my iPhone so if anyone has any questions/tips/anything at all, feel free to add me; [email protected]

Hey if you are not working or earning alot, you can apply for a low income healthcare card. I think it's if you earn less then $450ish a week. With it a box of roaccutane is only like $7~. Goodluck on your course.

Day 8

Well I think I my face sucks. I thought I'd post some pics without moisturizer so people can see how dry you get on accutane. Don't judge me. :wall:

Face

Right Side

Left Shoulder

Left Side

Right Shoulder

Other than that, tight skin and dryness...nothing else has happened.

Could this be my Initial Breakout already?

Until next time,

Au revoir

Day 9

Well not alot has changed...the dryness is amazing. I have never been so dry in my life.

My lips are crazy dry. ><

Oh and my skin is SUPER sensitive...It felt like some overhead lights were burning me today :P

Well that's it.

Any future accutane users don't be afraid to ask me any questions :)

'Til next time,

Anonymour signing off. :dance:

wow your poor skin is very dry. ouch! have you found anything that won't irritate it? i have extremely sensitive skin too so i know how that is.. i found emu oil though and it works a dream for me considering.

i hate overhead lights too, the accutane is making me really sensitive to bright light it hurts my eyes. sunglasses everywhere, even in shopping centres under those fluro lights. its just stings!

you might have to wait till like week 8 to know whether your out of the IB woods...dems is some dark and scary woods... i'm half way through week 7 and its been up and down the whole way... but who knows some people strike it lucky!

keep smiling :)

j x

ahhh i definitely feel you with the dry skin!! i know it is frustrating, and trust me attempting to put makeup over those flakes was a serious mistake :( bad news is you have to be patient for a couple of months (as mentioned by jennyband), but the good news is it does get better!! patience is key. OH! and another form of good news... clogged pores/blackheads in places where you didn't even think you had clogged pores/blackheads will start coming out in the next couple of weeks - sooo exciting!! i found a thrill in seeing those suckers pop out :shifty:

i had a really hard time with sunlight/bright rooms during my first couple of weeks. my derm recommended that i wear sunglasses as much as possible - it seemed to help me.

cant wait to read more about your progress :)

take care

Edited by Angela1985

@ jennyband & Angela1985: thanks for the support guys. It's good to see some people following my log...I was considering stopping. :silenced:. But so long as someone is still following I will keep posting as I think it will benefit future Accutane patients. :). Edited by AnonymourProblems

Hi Anonym, (can I call you Anonym?)

Just started the treatment as well, we have a quite similar acne, although my skin is little less dry compared to you description. Maybe it is just 10 years that have made it thicker and reduced the redness, but after following some of the logs here, I gave a try to Emu oil yesterday afternoon and yesterday night, and I have to say it has reduced the redness in a spectacular manner. (might be completely unrelated though), it is quite easy to find if you have a vitamin shop around, and not exceedingly expensive)

The best of luck to you !

Just started the treatment as well, we have a quite similar acne, although my skin is little less dry compared to you description. Maybe it is just 10 years that have made it thicker and reduced the redness, but after following some of the logs here, I gave a try to Emu oil yesterday afternoon and yesterday night, and I have to say it has reduced the redness in a spectacular manner. (might be completely unrelated though), it is quite easy to find if you have a vitamin shop around, and not exceedingly expensive)

Lol...call me whatever you want! :):rolleyes:

I might look into Emu Oil...people keep saying it's good.

Lol...call me whatever you want! :):rolleyes:

I might look into Emu Oil...people keep saying it's good.

emu oil FTW! :D

changed everything for me.

good luck

j x