Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hgquest

Exoderm, anyone??

I am scheduled to have an Exoderm treatment the end of this month. I have some slight scarring, which can only be seen in certain light, but that bugs me so much that I have tried just about everything;C02 laser, N-lite, Thermage, fillers, glycolic, and various creams & potions. I've seen some improvement, but very minimal, and it looks like the Exoderm is my last hope.

Has anyone had this procedure done? I researched it extensively before scheduling but I couldn't find many people that have undergone the procedure (i think i found one post from a patient). If anyone has had or knows someone that has had this done, please let me know - I'm getting very nervous (and hopeful) the closer I get to treatment day. Thanks!

hpquest, So you have shallow scarring? Why hasn't fillers helped? Why not a permanent filler? Have you looked into dermabrasion?

Dude, just my opinion. Don't do it because I think that you will seriously regret it. It's shallow scarring vs totally white face for ever (plus sunscreen every single day in your life).

hgquest- i think exoderm is a very promising procedure, i wil probably have this done myself by dr rullan in ca. i have actually read a few (probably 5-6) personal stories about people who have had exoderm. ive emailed about 3 of them as well. of all the stuff ive read about exoderm, the worst things ive read that can happen (hypopigmentations, fairly rare, usually occurs in darker skinned patients, one women got a tiny scar under her eye from it, and a few people didnt get the results they were hoping for (the scars didnt improve quite as much as hoped) ) but i have not read one horror story about it at all.. and to robert, i couldnt get through the link you posted, but ive read both accounts of the few people on voy. com who had this done. the 2 im familiar with did NOT have severe scarring. in fact i have seen before and after pictures of one of the guys scarring. they were VERY MINOR. im mean almost unnoticeable shallow, rolling scars. and this was before the treatment, not after. and aparently after the results were beautiful. from the research ive done, exoderm is awesome from shallow, moderate scars on fair skinned people, who havent had good results with other treatments. and since they only chemobrade the scarred areas, it greatly reduces chances of extra scarring, that can happen with dermabrasion. good luck!!! caroline

and another thing, everyone is quick to say 'dont do it' but personally, i would rather go through one invasive procedure to help my scars, than NUMEROUS 'non invasive' treatments, i mean come on, there arent many non invasive procedures yielding awesome results (with the exception of tca cross and needling i think) :wink:

Hi,

I added some information on exoderm to the FAQ a couple of days ago. Some of the links are well worth reading - there are threads detailing several people's experiences, which may help you decide whether you wish to go through with the procedure.

smile.gif

and another thing, everyone is quick to say 'dont do it' but personally, i would rather go through one invasive procedure to help my scars, than NUMEROUS 'non invasive' treatments, i mean come on, there arent many non invasive procedures yielding awesome results (with the exception of tca cross and needling i think) :wink:

Thank you all for the great feedback!

Oursfan, thanks for the great link to the Exoderm patient - this is the same doctor (Dr Rullan) that I'm scheduled with in a few weeks. I hope to have as much luck as CitySlicker had with the treatment - reading his/her experience definately makes me feel a little less apprehensive!

To answer Falnhart's question; I tried collagen in two larger scars and saw improvement. But since the ones I have are very small and clustered, collagen really doesn't work for me - maybe a fat transfer would, but really haven't looked into it ...yet.

Also, I am darker skinned, I believe #3-4 is what the Dr said, and was told I'm still a good canidate (had laser surgery 5 yrs ago with temporary & very slight hyper-pigmentation, but regained my color). Some of the before/after photos that I was shown in Dr Rullan's office were of dark skinned people (some much darker than me) and all seemed to have regained their normal pigment (though I'm sure the office is not going to put after photos of any patients that wind up looking pasty in that book!).

Thanks again for the feedback - I'll keep you updated. smile.gif

So robert...i take it you are more comfortable with your scars than you are with phenol. Personally it makes much more sense for me to go with the procedure that works. You are COMPLETELY wasting your time with non-invasive procedures. Your gonna be looking for a solution for the rest of your life. I just had exoderm today and it is not bad. It is the best treatment out there for acne scarring. Its funny how everyone on this board thinks that exoderm is the same as a phenol peel. Yes exoderm has phenol, but its a buffered version of it, and you DO NOT turn ghostly white. You return to your original color. If you want to continue messing around with non invasive procedures than i feel kind of bad bc your never gonna do much for your scars. There is no easy way out of scarring. You have to suck it up and get exoderm done...i recommend it for everyone in here.

From what I remember reading about Exoderm is that it is a diluted or buffered form of phenol. The solution has more things in it than just straight phenol...something like oils and other things. Dr. R's site say's twelve ingredients.

These stop the penetration of the chemical to a safe level. I never had it done so I can't speak from experience. However I do believe Cityslickers account of his procedure.

I hope eveything goes well for you hgquest wink.gif

Amen whyme. There is no easy way out of scarring. Period. Trust me I know. I have tried most of the products claiming amazing results by simply rubbing something on twice a day (execpt those silicone pads which I have used to some success and a gel that I am using now- for raised scarring). It isn't going to happen. I think the only way to achieve results is to undergo invasive procedures which I have done twice. Phenol is nasty stuff for the most extreme cases... but think about it they wouldn't have phenol to begin with if any of these non-invasive procedures lived up to their claims. Why would my plastic surgeon keep recommending invasive procedures if I could achieve anywhere near the same result as non invasive procedures? And my scarring is very mild. Seems like people on this board are willing to try everything... I read a post earlier and this person wanted to use a vacuum cleaner to even out their scars...?! This is just my 2 cents and talking from personal experience... So their might be hope for you.

yay why me smile.gifsmile.gif im so excited for you!! i just scheduled my consult with dr rullan today.. will be seeing him on the 26th of this month.. yippeee!!

falnhart- dermabrasion is very good i think.. especially if you are going to dr. y. but it can make redness (hyperpigmentation) worse. and there are lots of risks involved, as with most any invasive treatment. but exoderm is alot like dermabrasion in that one part of it is a 'chemobrasion' where they basically lightly dermabrade only the scarred areas. so you are getting a strong chemical peel with a spot dermabrasion on each scar, and this treatment helps hyperpigmentation (thats my big issue, my scars have been purple for 7 years now). hope that helped smile.gif

Oursfan, thanks for the great link to the Exoderm patient - this is the same doctor (Dr Rullan) that I'm scheduled with in a few weeks. I hope to have as much luck as CitySlicker had with the treatment - reading his/her experience definately makes me feel a little less apprehensive!

Hey sadcaroline, goodluck with your appt with dr rullan - he and Valerie are really comforting and attentive. I'll be there the same week having the Exoderm procedure done, so look for an updated post regarding my results sometime in Sept.

In my opinion, Exoderm doesn't seem much more invasive than the C02 laser - i hated the waxy look (plus months of redness) that i had for awhile after laser. And not needing to pile that greasy goop on your face for two weeks like with laser is definately on the pro side for exoderm - it makes much more sense to have a protective & healing mask ( i think it is mainly made of bismuth) to keep your face and new skin in check while it heals. I remember after the laser treatment I had to be very careful not to scratch or hurt the skin while it healed. Atleast i won't have that to worry about :unsure:

Best wishes, sadcaroline - let us know how your consul goes smile.gif

i wld think TCA cross if your scars are icepick or pore like wld be the best and most affordable option...rather than exoderm which is costly and too invasive. Not to mention the possible negative side effects from phenol altho i havent tried it myself so i can only advise based on what i have read. Just my 2 cents.

Guest markychv

Exoderm or Dermabrasion ...hmmm wonder which is best???

M-

i wouldnt go by pics of people who had an exoderm only months from when the pic was takin.like a co2 laser the face swells and when it goes down the scars return.if someone has pics 3 years down the road then that would be better proof it does work.its a procedure like everything else like this...dermabrasion,ablative lasers,needling...depends on how god your skin is at producing collegen.the only thing i had luck with at least improving my skin was the stuff at skinbio and its cheep.it just makes the skin tighter to make the scars look better.sorry but there isnt a surefire way of getting rid of scar or we would all be going to get those treatments if it was avaible.

Guest markychv

Nikkigirl,

Which skin stuff at skinbio do you speak of? I am curious now.

M-

i wouldnt go by pics of people who had an exoderm only months from when the pic was takin.like a co2 laser the face swells and when it goes down the scars return.if someone has pics 3 years down the road then that would be better proof it does work.its a procedure like everything else like this...dermabrasion,ablative lasers,needling...depends on how god your skin is at producing collegen.the only thing i had luck with at least improving my skin was the stuff at skinbio and its cheep.it just makes the skin tighter to make the scars look better.sorry but there isnt a surefire way of getting rid of scar or we would all be going to get those treatments if it was avaible.