Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
duchamp

Paleolithic diet with low blood sugar???

I started eating paleolithic several days ago, and noticed pretty quickly that I felt a lot less tired and had more energy - awesome. I hadn't realize how lethargic carbohydrates were making me.

Thing is, I had my blood sugar measured (at the end of the day) recently, and it came up borderline hypoglycemic. And I woke up in the morning feeling intensely weak and hungry. Sadness.

Would it be terrible to incorporate some legumes and complex carbs (in the morning/afternoon or before working out) - would that defeat the point? I've been exercising as well, which I never do, and I burn easily through calories. I thought I should add in a small amount of carbs to balance my blood sugar so I don't feel so faint in the mornings.

What do you guys think?

Your body takes time to adjust to shifting energy sources... I think you need to just ride it out. If you try to add in sugar you'll likely just prolong the transition, and quite possibly hamper it.

every nutrient the body needs is in the meat, fish and veg, and fruit if you can tolerate it. Can I suggest that, until your body weight remains at a stable constant, you don't go overboard with the exercise. You will lose weight on this diet anyway, and it should tone you up naturally. I went through a few weeks of not eating meat, and my stomach had never been flatter, the only exercise I did there was walk around the city shopping everyday.

Edited by captainsunshine

I'm giving this a try because of all the hype and for the first week and a half or so I was so weak I couldn't do anything. I was practically a zombie at work. After that I started feeling normal again though. No changes in my skin yet.

I'm giving this a try because of all the hype and for the first week and a half or so I was so weak I couldn't do anything. I was practically a zombie at work. After that I started feeling normal again though. No changes in my skin yet.

Were you eating enough veggies? A lot of people tend to go overboard with the meat aspect and forget the vegetables.

I started eating paleolithic several days ago, and noticed pretty quickly that I felt a lot less tired and had more energy - awesome. I hadn't realize how lethargic carbohydrates were making me.

Thing is, I had my blood sugar measured (at the end of the day) recently, and it came up borderline hypoglycemic. And I woke up in the morning feeling intensely weak and hungry. Sadness.

Would it be terrible to incorporate some legumes and complex carbs (in the morning/afternoon or before working out) - would that defeat the point? I've been exercising as well, which I never do, and I burn easily through calories. I thought I should add in a small amount of carbs to balance my blood sugar so I don't feel so faint in the mornings.

What do you guys think?

**If you are eating fruit disregard this message.

Paleo IS NOT low carb. Go ahead and have some fruits if you need them (do not add beans, etc). Paleolithic groups consumed somewhere between 15-30% of their calories from carbs. If with time you get "stuck" then you can experiment with lowering carbs further.

BTW, by any chance was this 3-4 days after going low-carb? That's normally how long it takes for your glycogen deposits to deplete. The truth is that with time your body will get used to burning fat instead of carbs, but it takes a while (not less than a month).

Venam - yup, the worst of it was about three days in.

Did you guys notice yourself feeling - well, dumb? Apparently glucose feeds the brain, so I've been feeling kind of spaced out. It's tolerable, though. Would I be hampering my progress significantly by having a couple whole wheat crackers a day?

I really want to keep exercising because it's great for stress management and really helps with my mood, though.

From what everyone has said, I'm not eating enough fruit - I was sort of avoiding them because of the fruit sugars. Would they be able to supplement the glucose I'm not getting from complex carbs? Thanks everyone for the replies, btw!

Venam - yup, the worst of it was about three days in.

Did you guys notice yourself feeling - well, dumb? Apparently glucose feeds the brain, so I've been feeling kind of spaced out. It's tolerable, though. Would I be hampering my progress significantly by having a couple whole wheat crackers a day?

I really want to keep exercising because it's great for stress management and really helps with my mood, though.

From what everyone has said, I'm not eating enough fruit - I was sort of avoiding them because of the fruit sugars. Would they be able to supplement the glucose I'm not getting from complex carbs? Thanks everyone for the replies, btw!

Yep, you've got your glycogen storage depleted for the first time in your entire life. It's rough when you are not used to it, your body simply cannot use fat well enough, no matter how much of it you feed your body you are going to feel kind-of-tired. If you bear through it you'll adapt, for most people it takes ~4 weeks, assuming you are eating some fruits. It may take longer to adapt to <50-100g of carbs per day. If you do want to keep going without fruits, what's happening is that your brain needs to get used to using ketones instead of glucose for energy (that's why you have a foggy brain).

Do not eat crackers or any other kind of non-paleo foods. You don't need them. Glycogen is stored in the liver and muscles. Liver glycogen can be filled with both fructose and glucose, muscle glycogen can only be filled with glucose. Fruits are normally around half fructose, half glucose, so they will do the job. You don't need "complex carbs", they will just be turned into glucose.

Venam - I upped my fruit intake and feel loads better, even without carbs. The brain fogginess has diminished *considerably* and I have more energy. Thanks for the advice!

Venam - I upped my fruit intake and feel loads better, even without carbs. The brain fogginess has diminished *considerably* and I have more energy. Thanks for the advice!

Well, if you upped your fruit intake, than you did up your carbs...

I agree that Paleo doesn't necessarily have to be low-carb... but the whole notion of the diet is predicated on historic food availability... so unless you are of an ethnicity such as pacific islander or other tropical region, don't overdo sugars + starches.

And I do feel it is better to endure a period of low-carb for a while (low-sugar especially) as your body heals the insulinogenic system and metabolic machinery. Once you are free of the lasting burdens of the Standard American Diet, then you can try adding some low sugar fruits, low GI/GL starchy vegetables such as yams, sweet potatoes, squash.

Just stuff to keep in mind.

You are welcome. Glad I could help. As a side note, fruits are mostly carbs (in the form of fructose and glucose).