Notifications
Clear all

*****spironolactone/retin A Micro Log***** I Am Clear!

MemberMember
(@tryingforonehotmail-com)

Posted : 09/01/2010 2:59 pm

I've decided to start a log of my soon-to-be success story.

About four months ago my skin became acneic for the first time in my life. I did have the typical teenage flare-ups when I was younger, but nothing that required medical intervention. I'm now in my 30's. After about two weeks of trying OTC products I sought help from a dermatologist, who prescribed the lowest dose of Retin A Micro. He warned me about experiencing an initial break out from the purge effect, but I was NOT prepared for it.

By 2 weeks into my Retin A treatment my face was a MESS - a red, dry, pimply MESS. I persevered with the treatment, attributing the MESS to the IB. Well, 10 weeks later my skin was just not clearing, so I sought help from an endocrinologist, who ordered hormone tests. My lab results were normal, but due to my PCOS and thyroid history, and obvious acne problems, he suggested Spironolactone - and here we are on Day #1 of Spiro. I'm taking 25mg each morning and night for the first month. The endo will evaluate dosage, effectiveness and K levels after 30 days.

So I took my second pill 2.5 hours ago and so far I'm feeling the same, which is what I expect at this point. I'm optimistic, basically because alternatives are dwindling. I'm going to update the status of my skin each week.

WEEK 0

Right now my skin is a mess. I have about 2 active pimples, but several, several, several clogged pores which are just waiting to sprout. Most of them are flesh-colored, but a few are red. I tried to count the clogged pores, but I get too depressed once I reach 10.

I also have 1 under the skin pimple on my chin, which is very unusual for me. I don't normally get any there, not even with the Retin A initial break out. Since my break outs began 4 months ago, I have only gotten pimples on my lower cheeks and jawline, none on my forehead, temples or chin. I also have red marks from my Retin A IB, which are very, very slowly healing.

RIGHT SIDE: 2 red pimples, 1 active, 1 healing, several clogged pores

LEFT SIDE: 3 red pimples, 0 active, 3 healing, SEVERAL clogged pores, 3 will become active soon and they are clustered together

Red marks: SEVERAL, too many to count without becoming depressed.

Having any red spots on my chin is atypical for me, so I'm not sure what that's about. It's too early for it to be from the Spiro, and too late to be from the Retin A micro IB.

All of my acne occurs on my lower cheeks and jawline.

MemberMember

Posted : 09/02/2010 11:00 am

DAY 2

I'm typically NOT a picker, but three days I got so unbelieveably frustrated with all those clogged pores that I attacked them, and I'm paying for it, now. I just don't know what to do with them. Most all of them NEVER come to a head, and the healing time on them is so incredibly slow (we're talking 4 weeks). Retin A is supposed to increase cell turnover, so that would be the correct line of defense, but, alas, my pimples hate me.

The clogged pores are really what made me seek treatment in the first place. Once I started Retin A, I started getting "normal" pimples, which I attributed to the IB. Now I'm getting sporadic "regular" pimples as well as the clogged pores. They just won't fucking go away. I HATE my bumpy skin. I've never, never had this before. I hate feeling all of those fucking bumps when I wash my face. It disgusts me. I hate going outside, where they are in the spotlight. I rarely look in the mirror unless I have to put on make-up, which depresses me even more. My whole summer has been spent battling acne, and I haven't been able to go swimming because I don't want my concealer to wash away. It's not like you can't see them anyway, but still, I've become a hermit.

The first thing I do every morning is run to the bathroom and see how bad my face looks. I hate it. I can't believe that I'm now on 2 prescription medications for acne. I can't believe I went from none to a million in an instant. I can't believe that I'm battling acne in my 30's. I know it happens, and I know I'm not the only one, but doesn't it feel like it, anyway. Sure, everyone here is suffering from the same problem, but do you know anyone else, personally, that is fighting this war? I don't.

This horrible exerience has allowed me develop a newfound respect for fellow acne-sufferers. Prior to my blow out, I use to think, "You know, there are so many treatments available...if I were them...you don't have to have acne...". I'm ashamed to admit that I truly felt acne was something that could easily be cured. I felt empathetic for acne sufferers, but I didn't realize that there wasn't a cure for acne.

I can't believe one year ago I was basking in the sun, with my no-make-up face, sipping on iced tea and splashing around the pool. OMG - somrthing to ordinary, yet, now, I'm fearful, embarrassed and ashamed to show my face anywhere.

MemberMember

Posted : 09/03/2010 1:15 pm

DAY 3

Okay, this has GOT to be a fluke, but since yesterday, my face has been staying almost completely dry. I tried to use a blotting sheet and I did not fill up the entire sheet after applying it to my entire face. I can't believe it. Spiro is the ONLY thing that I've been doing different, so I don't know what to think. It's way too early to talk about my pimples, obviously I haven't had any new ones form, but that doesn't mean anything. Although, now that I'm thinking about it, I've had these three clogged pores on the left side of my face that have been there for at least 2 months. I've tried manual exfoliation and spot treatment Retin A (on top of my nightly Retin A application) to no avail. Well this morning, all three of them (they are clustered together) are turning red and getting closer to the surface. They're not getting hugely inflammed "red", more like, coming to the surface. Weird, I know. I'm not attributing it to the Spiro, but it's definitely wierd. At this rate, they should surface in the next few days and I can get that gunk out of them.

Side effects: I naturally drink a lot of water, so I haven't noticed an increase in thirst. Frequent urination, yes, but not more than usual, since, again, I'm used to drinking loads of water. Dizziness, yes, but very mild, and probably wouldn't know it if I wasn't looking for it. Nausea - yes, if I don't take it with food. So far that's it.

MemberMember

Posted : 09/04/2010 1:20 pm

DAY 4

OMG - I'm so nauseated. Urgh. I know why. This pill takes away my entire appetite, and I don't have enough in my belly when I take this pill. OMG - so sick. Losing weight is NOT something I need or want to do, unfortunately.

I'm so sick of these red marks. What's the point in having no acne if you are left with red marks? I have more clogged pores today, but no inflammed pimples, which is typical. I usually don't sprout inflammed acne, but eventually some of the clogged pores become inflammed. I know this is hormonal. My gosh, the problem is located on both sides of my lower cheeks. I am perfectly clear everywhere else. I had an atypical pimple come up on the chin the other day, and within 24 hours is was flat and barely red. That is the effect of being on Retin A for 10+ weeks. But the Retin A has NO effect on my lower cheeks - NONE. It's so stubborn.

Goodness gracious am I ever so nauseated. Barf. I can't bring myself to eat anything, either. I'm trying to force down saltine crackers, but it's so hard.

MemberMember

Posted : 09/05/2010 5:17 pm

DAY 5

Hmm..well...no new inflammed pimples, but still loads of clogged pores. My skin definitely seems drier throughout the day. I'm not expecting to see significant improvement for at least a month, so I guess I'm just passing time typing here. I think I need a stronger level of Retin A. My three month mark on Retin A is coming up, and I really hoped and prayed that I would see perfect skin by that point, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen. In fact, it's about the same as it was when I started. Like I said before, as the old clogged pores heal, new ones sprout, nearly daily. I know that I don't have huge inflammed pimples all over my face, but I have so many clogged pores that with make-up on, there would be little difference in appearance between clogged pores and inflammed pimples, there still raised bumps on the skin, so what makes that difference?

Unfortunately, I caught myself in a daylight mirror today and I wanted to crawl in a hole and die. My skin is SO bumpy and gross...so depressing.

MemberMember
(@twizzlers)

Posted : 09/06/2010 5:49 pm

Omg! Yor skin sounds exactly like mine. I was just diagnosed with PCOS last month. I went to the doctor and told him all of my symptons...so he ordered blood tests and an ultrasound...sure enough I had multiple cysts on my ovaries. At first I was relieved, thinking that finally I found the reason. I never broke out until a couple years ago and I'm 28 yrs old...I was like you have got to be kidding me! I know exactly how you feel..I have so many clogged pores that just seem to never go away! Sometimes they get inflamed and leave a pretty little red mark on my face. Right now I am using benzaclin and tazorac and I take the birth control tri-sprintec. I have been using the benzaclin for about three months now and just added the tazorac about a week ago..I am afraid of the IB :( My appointment with the endocrinoligist isn't for another 3 months...which sucks! but I do go to see my regular doctor in a week in a half and I was going to suggest he prescribes me spiro. Oh...I hope so, I don't want to wait another three months. I am so glad I found your log...please keep up with it, your skin sounds so much like mine I would love to see how your treatment goes.. Just remember, you have to keep smiling no matter what life throws at you...as hard as it can be we can't let this control our lives. I hope you start feeling better soon! :)

MemberMember

Posted : 09/06/2010 10:06 pm

Hi Twizzlers.

I'm sorry you're going through the same problems. It sucks. It sounds like you're on the right path, though! I did get an IB from the Retin A, and I'm not going to lie - it was bad. Still, though, it was localized on my lower cheeks and jawline - only, which is where my problem is. Also, I DID make it far worse than it needed to be. DON'T PICK!!! DON'T PICK!! It makes it soooo much worse, but I so feel the frustration on just wanting those fucking clogged pores to go away. Keep me updated on your treatment and success.

P.S. My hormones were normal, so don't let your dr. give you the run around with Spiro if your hormones are normal. Not all women with hormone induced acne will show atypical hormone results. It just means that they are too high for you.

DAY 6

I can't believe this - but my skin is looking soo great. So great. I still have no new pimples and my clogged pores are starting to vanish and I saw NO NEW CLOGGED PORES this morning!! Earlier I mentioned that I had a cluster of three clogged pores that looked to be surfacing, but they are going away! My skin is much less oily and my side effects are starting to dwindle. I can't wait to do a pimple count tomorrow. I have NO active pimples right now.

MemberMember

Posted : 09/07/2010 10:57 am

ONE WEEK

Right now my skin is okay. I have 2 active pimples and 15 flesh colored clogged pores, which is a lot less than one week ago.

RIGHT SIDE: ZERO red, active pimples, 1 (pink) healing, 5 clogged pores

LEFT SIDE: 2 red, active pimples, 2 (pink) healing, 10 clogged pores

CHIN: ZERO

Forehead: ZERO

Red marks: Counting the active pimples, I have 5-8, depending on how picky I am being.

The reason I have 2 active pimples is because I picked the cluster of clogged pores than I've been talking about. Ironically, the post follows my last post that said: NO FUCKING PICKING! They looked like they were ready, and of course, they were not. They were actually healing, but now I've creating inflammed pimples. So the 2 active pimples that I have are NOT from the Spiro or Retin A, but from myself. Way to go, you idiot!

MemberMember
(@cvd)

Posted : 09/07/2010 11:11 am

I'm following your log because I also use Spironolactone. I've been on it for years and recently my derm upped my dose to 50mg 2x/day (total 100mg/day). It's working pretty well. The total number of blemishes has gone down to a couple a week. It takes a very long time (a year or more) for Spiro to work out the deep plugs. You'll notice more plugs coming to the surface but without as much irritation. My derm also has me on Retin-A cream. This helps unplug the pores. I get greedy tho and depressed that my skin is not totally clear. Now that it only breaks out with one or two little ones a week I still wish for clear skin. It would be so nice to look in the mirror in the morning and not see one plugged pore! Even at age 59 I still wish for this!

MemberMember

Posted : 09/07/2010 2:56 pm

Hi cvd,

It's reassuring to know that Spiro is working for you, especially in the long run. I'm in love with Retin A, in terms of it's effect on the areas without problems. Retin A, alone, just can't fight the clogged pores (the ones on my lower cheeks), though. I'm not sure if that's a fair statement, though, since Retin A is supposed to take 3 full months to see complete results and it's only been 11 weeks. Either way, my skin is headed in the right direction (knock on wood).

Good luck to you!

MemberMember
(@twizzlers)

Posted : 09/07/2010 7:53 pm

I'm glad to hear that your face is doing a lot better. Are your clogged pores getting inflamed before they get better or do some of them just disappear? I'm hoping that all of mine don't get inflamed. :( I know what you mean by picking them makes it so much worse..I try so hard not to but sometimes I just can't help myself..I have gotten a lot better though.

MemberMember

Posted : 09/08/2010 10:03 am

DAY 8

My skin seems to be heading in the right direction, except for the pimples that I attacked - they are one million times worse, now. No new inflammed pimples, but still lots of flesh colored clogged pores.

Twizzlers,

I would say that 95% of my clogged pores don't become inflammed **if** I leave them alone. My problem was that as the old clogged pores would go away at a snail's pace, new ones would appear - on a daily basis, leaving me with more and more clogged pores each day. At the moment, though, the new appearance of clogged pores seems to be slowing down, but not stopping. They DO take forever to go away, which is when I get frustrated and go in attack mode. I don't know why I think the results are going to be different every timeI pick?!?!

MemberMember
(@twizzlers)

Posted : 09/08/2010 4:56 pm

That is how my clogged pores are..They usually don't get inflamed unless I pick them and then they turn cystic. I hate them so much it seems like alot of them have been there for months and months! Most of them you cant see unless I stretch my skin. I am hoping that the tazorac won't make all of my clogged pores become active pimples. That would be a disaster Well my appt. to see the doctor is on Tuesday...keeping my fingers crossed that he prescribes me spiro...oh and btw, have you heard of Spiro making you have an IB I don't understand that...Its not like a retnoid that you put on your and it purges everything out??

MemberMember

Posted : 09/09/2010 8:33 pm

DAY 9

Things are still looking good. No new inflammed pimples to report and my current inflammed pimples are healing nicely, after my attack. I didn't notice any new clogged pores today.

My Jojoba oil came in today, and I'm excited to try it out tonight.

Twizzlers,

Good luck at your doctor's appt. I can't vouch for Spiro, since it's too early, but I don't have anything negative to say about it, as I've only seen improvement so far. Also, (knock on wood) I don't think I'll get an initial breakout from the Spiro, since I've been on Retin A for 11 weeks. I've read that some people do experience an IB regardless of also using Retin A (or like topical), typically occurring between weeks 2-4.

MemberMember

Posted : 09/10/2010 8:45 am

DAY 10

Okay, I'm at day 10 and I have no new inflammed pimples to report. My attacked pimples are flat and red, so it'll take another week to 10 days before the red marks fade. I do have two new clogged pores this morning, again, flesh colored and small and I will.not.touch. I still have several clogged pores remaining.

I tried the Jojoba oil last night as a make up remover, it's okay. I've got to play around with it some more. I can't use it at night because I use Retin A, but I'm afraid it would be too oily for daytime use. I don't actually know why i bought it, I was hoping to mix it with my moisturizer for daytime use, I guess I'll try that tomorrow.

MemberMember
(@twizzlers)

Posted : 09/10/2010 7:58 pm

Thats great, it sounds like your skin is getting alot better. Those clogged pores are so freakin stubborn. What is the jojoba oil you mentioned? Well, I may be getting and IB I'm not sure though. I am breaking out again around my jawline and mouth but I am in the second week of my BC and that is usually when I start to break out. I'm just hoping that something eventually works for my skin....there has to be something out there! I guess patience is the key..

MemberMember

Posted : 09/11/2010 12:56 pm

DAY 11

Well, I have new clogged pores to report. The left side of my face is so much worse than the right. The healing pimples, that I picked, are now pink and scabby. I still don't have any new inflammed pimples, it's those darn clogged pores. They just won't stop sprouting. It seems like they're sprouting less often, but they aren't stopping, and the ones that are on my face take so long to go away.

Twizzlers,

I bought the Jojoba oil on this site and I'm combining 2 drops of it with my daily moisturizer. Check out the reviews on this site for it, most of them are favorable. It's supposedly really good for acne-prone skin. IBs stink, big time. I think the key to finding success, is sticking with a routine for a minimum of 3 months before one evaluates the effectiveness of it.

For me, I've almost completed 3 full months of Retin A use, and while I LOVE what it's done for the texture and tone of my skin, I think I need a stronger prescription to really get to those stubborn clogged pores to go away. I'm going to ask for a stronger rx at my next derm. appt. I'm also going to give Spiro 3 full months, and if I'm not seeing great improvement I'll ask to be bumped to a higher dose, wait another three months and then reevaluate.

MemberMember

Posted : 09/12/2010 11:48 am

DAY 12

One of my clogged pores is turning into a regular pimple, is there such a thing? What I mean is that it's not hugely inflammed, but it is a small, raised red bump with no head. It does not hurt. I don't see any new clogged pores today, but it's so hard to access this on a daily basis because there are so many.

Interestingly, I was feeling dizzy this morning so I checked my blood pressure and it was high (143/82), which is VERY, VERY odd for two reasons. First, I'm on Spironolactone, which is a blood pressure medication and second, I don't have high blood pressure. I recently had my yearly appts with my endo and gyn and my blood pressure was normal at both appointments, one of which was 12 days ago. After I sat down for a little bit, my blood pressure did drop but not to my usual range. It's very odd.

MemberMember

Posted : 09/13/2010 9:45 am

DAY 13

I'm NOT happy today. It seems like I have LOADS of new clogged pores today, PLUS I had to "take care" of that pimple from yesterday, as it was ready - and it was, but now it's red, but not angry or inflammed, but still. The clogged pores just won't stop. They just won't stop. I really thought they were slowing down, but, I'm just not sure. Also, I have four clogged pores lining my jawline on the right, and they seem to be coming to a head, as they are turning slightly red, so my right side now has three new red marks. Something IS causing this, I don't know if it's something I'm eating, something I'm using or what?

I've decided to stop using Bare Minerals, even though I've been using it for over 4 years. I've read some really negative reviews on BM usage and breaking out, maybe my skin just can't tolerate it anymore, or maybe they changed their formula. If I'm remembering correctly, I received a new shipment of foundation right around the same time I started breaking out. I'm going to have to check my invoice dates.

I've ordered a sample of mineral makeup from Silk Naturals. I hope it's better. Until then, I'm not going to wear any foundation, just pressed powder and pressed blush.

My eating habits aren't bad, so I don't know what I could eliminate there. I know peanuts, milk and chocolate are a few foods that can react negatively, but I don't eat peanuts or drink milk. I do have a sweet tooth, but that's existed for years. Again, though, maybe my body can't tolerate it, anymore. I'm going to search this board and look for other foods that are associated with acne.

Since I've started Spiro my daily water intake has soared, so no problems with that.

Acne is such a mystery because causation can be attribtued to so many things, and SOMETHING is causing my pores to clog on a daily basis. I mean, once I've been on Spiro for 3 months, I'll have been on Retin A for 6 months, and I can cross off "not enough cell turnover" and "hormones" off the list. Not that I'd stop using them, but it's either not strong enough, or it's not the problem. Right now, it's not controling shit.

FWIW: My acne would be considered mild, as I don't have loads of red pimples, although I do have them, right now I have 4. But the clogged pores make my skin texture so bumpy; I probably have 20+ clogged pores on my face right now. I'm not doing a count until tomorrow.

MemberMember
(@twizzlers)

Posted : 09/13/2010 8:27 pm

I know how frustrated you are. I hope that spiro is the answer for you. I went to the doctor today and he did prescribe me 25mg of spiro so I am soooo hoping it will help.

MemberMember

Posted : 09/14/2010 9:49 pm

TWO WEEKS

OKay, so maybe I was being a little hard on myself yesterday because when I did a pimple count, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Here goes:

RIGHT SIDE: ZERO red, active pimples, 2 (pink) healing, 7 clogged pores

LEFT SIDE: ZERO red, active pimples, 3 (pink) healing, 10 clogged pores

Red marks: Counting the active pimples, I have 5-8, depending on how picky I am being.

So...I have no active pimples, but I still have loads of clogged pores, actually 2 more than last week.

These clogged pore counts, btw, are very generous. If I was being uber picky, I could probably find/count 10 more. For this purpose, though, I'm only counting the ones that are raised, flesh colored bumps. The other ones are micoscopic, it's just a question of whether they'll sprout or dissipate.

MemberMember
(@twizzlers)

Posted : 09/15/2010 7:29 pm

Well, I'm happy to hear that today you are having a better day! I am curious...have you had any other symptoms from your PCOS besides acne? Lately my hair has been thinning out a lot. I heard that spiro was supposed to help with that...omg....I hope so. I swear, If it's not one thing it's another..

MemberMember

Posted : 09/16/2010 11:38 am

DAY 16

Actually, my face is looking good today. In fact, I have a cluster of clogged pores on my left cheek that sprouted up 2 days ago and they are diminishing. They usually take WAY longer to go away than 2 days.

Also, I am truly LOVING the Jojoba oil that I bought from this site! I typically don't want to review anything that I haven't been on for at least 3 months, but wow - I love it. I don't know that it's helping with the pimples, since I'm on the Retin A and Spiro, but it doesn't seem to be causing them, and I love how soft and even my skin tone is - LOVE IT SO FAR!

Twizzlers,

I DO have thin hair, but I also have naturally thin hair, so it's hard to say if it's PCOS related. My hair does fall out a lot, but not to the point where I notice thining hair/balding spots. I hope Spiro does thicken it up, nonetheless!! I hope you doing good with the Spiro. The side effect that I felt early on was fatigue, but it seems to be dwindling. I also do experience the occassional heart palpitation...BUT...I have a history of PACs, or premature atrial contractions, which is a benign condition, and these palps could be attributed to the Spiro or PACs, or both. I don't like it, but I am used to it (I've dealt with this for over 10 years) and had all the tests done on them, and they always come back benign. They just feel scary. If they worsen, though, I am going to call the dr. just to let him know what's going on. At this point I'm just trying to see if I'm getting more than I normally do.

MemberMember

Posted : 09/17/2010 11:51 am

DAY 17

Nothing new to report. My right side is really looking good in terms of not seeing any new clogged pores. My left side, particularly on the lower right seems to get the most clogged pores. No inflammed pimples, but it looks like 2 clogged pores want to surface, so that could be ugly.

MemberMember

Posted : 09/21/2010 11:41 am

THREE WEEKS

Things are looking good, AND I started my monthly friend on Sunday.

RIGHT SIDE: ZERO red, active pimples, ZERO (pink) healing, 1 clogged pore! Amazing!!

LEFT SIDE: ZERO red, active pimples, 2 (pink) healing, 10 clogged pores

Red marks: I have 3-5, depending on how picky I am being.

Soo...I am happy. I have no active pimples and 2 healing on my whole face! I am down to 3-5 red marks and 11 clogged pores. This is much improvement from 3 weeks ago and an AMAZING improvement from May 2010!

Also, I wanted to note that I've counted 10 clogged pores on my left side for the past 3 weeks - BUT - they are not the same ones. For some reason, as old ones heal, new ones still seem to be sprouting up, albeit, at a much slower pace, since I'm averaging 10 and I used to average well over 20. So, I'm going to be patient and continue on...