Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
imfromnj

My Acne Regimin Log

Hi everybody.... Welcome to my log. thanks for reading. After browsing around this site forever and all the while telling myself "haaaa I don't need to join, my acne is going to clear up" I signed up... I have probably tried everything but the kitchen sink for my acne Since I was 19 and now the derm has suggested accutane as a last resort. I dont think im at my last resort, I dont want to deal with side effects to cure SYMPTOMS.

I also want to try to make this fun or entertaining, since acne is so damn depressing, and geez, blogging about it? even worse. lol.

Proactive - Worked an absloute miracle on my skin for a year then suddenly stopped. Following each step meticulously only led to more little pimples all over my forehead & cheeks. By the way I have never had cheek pimples in my life prior to proactive. Im almost sure it ruined my skin. Thanks.

Duac - Irritated my skin. I have had a hard time handling BP since Proactive

erythomycin - the most ridiculous as I had to carry it in ice when travelling lol

Minocycline - worked, but not w/o side effects. on the upside I lost a lot of weight due to low appetite, but got yeast infections, If i had to choose between a yeast infection and acne would choose acne hands down.

Differen - ehhhh, I dunno, but I used for a few months and didn't really notice a DIFFERENce lol

Aczone - Can't figure out if this works. I think this is best reserved as a spot treatment for inflamed pimples the gross ones that are kind of oozing. Look it up, the active ingredient is used for leprosy (that disease even still exists? I thought only bible characters had it)

Max Clarity - NO. Unless ur skin is made out of leather. Double no if you have been on retin-a within the past month.

Retin-a Micro: combined with the minocycline, this cleared my skin of all cheek pimples and most scares in a few months. Be warned it gets much worse before it gets better. but that is the purging I believe, where you are actually "curing" your acne by removing the plugs deep within. Also be warned, do not mix with other acne products or rough cleansers, try to keep everything else on your face as gentle as possible.

Acanya - I kind of love/hate this. I wanna love it bc it has all the bacteria fighting ingredients and it does bring down the inflamation. But my skin isn't so good with BP - luckily its only 2.5% which Is what I love. Oh and also it leaves a little dry layer of white film on your face so if ur going out moisturizer helps, but it is certainly not as drying/irritating as duac.

I have tried a million washes, I have to say purpose is a favorite. Cleans without irritation. I just started with CETAPHIL and though I was weary about washing my face with something the consistency of semen, my skin feels so good after I wash and not greasy and not dry and crackly. Just balanced.

SO.... I have decided to get back on my tried and true retin-a micro and really stick to it even though I have a flaky little skin beard over the active pimples on my chin & cheeks. I have to stick with this.

I have decided to use acanya in the daytime since my neice has seen tremendous results from benzclin (same formula, more strgnth) and I need to keep all the bacteria growing on my hot oily face all day in check. - I will be using the olay complete gentle w/ spf 15 per this sites recomendation (and they're right did not feel greasy like aveeno or ambi)

I have decided to go with cetaphil since the retin-a & BP in Acanya make my skin so angry sometimes. I really think I have a good setup here and now Im ready to just commit myself too it w/o messing with out products and screwing everything up. (thats usually why good acne products fail, they take time, and we start to irritate our skin with other products)

On a side note, I have a clarisonic brush that I will occassionaly use to exfoliate as opposed to a scrub (supposed scrubs are bad) - and in my opinion gentle exfoliation is necessary on retin-a. I am also on this vitamedica clear skin formula which has a high amount of Vitamin A in two forms & other vitamins & minerals.... (this is my replacement for antibiotics or accutane)

Another thing - I bought some cheap hand towels at walmart which are big enough to cover my pillow, like 2 pack for $3. one - they keep the pillowcase from getting bleached. Two - easy to replace and wash every other day. three - absorbant, great for sweat or oil, or drool (yeh I know gross)

I know it looks like alot but I dont think Im making that many changes. just seeing what I think triggers/helps in any little way and changing. I will post pictures with the litle black bars over the eyes maybe later today lol. :dance:

Omg I mispelled regimen. so much for my college degree!! lol.

Anyway I have pictures... hooray. I just got done washing my face with the clarisonic, though and im happy to say the little village of pimples on my face is not all angry and irritated. thank you cetaphil. However i will like to post a picture taken after a day of work w/o washing, as that is the most true-to-form way you will see my acne.

As you can see, I have a lot of scarring & hyperpigmentation on my cheeks (from my proactive days) and am currently battling my monthly round of cystic acne around my mouth. This is the deep kind, maybe not as big or horrible as some I've seen here, but still the paintul kind that feels like someone is sticking a needle into your skin. ouch. and they never really go away.

Just fyi - they were much worse last week, I have been steaming my face and/or using a warm compress daily to help them drain, as well as aleve as needed to help the pain/inflammation.

Also, forgive me if I seem to lose my train of thought as I post here and go onto various rants. I have the attention span of a 3 year old.

post-135205-1283400025_thumb.jpg

post-135205-1283400056_thumb.jpg

post-135205-1283400025_thumb.jpg

post-135205-1283400056_thumb.jpg

had a nice labor day weekend... not too much drinking, only one night, and only a few drinks. I am convinced drinking can contribute to acne, as ironically enough my acne REALLY started plagueing me after i first got my fake ID. hmmm.

Anyways. Face is not red and angry. acne still persists on cheeks and chin, but I believe is slowly dying down. The steam & warm compresses were really helping to bring pimples to the surface as I have done none of that over the weekend and I dont see as much improvement. Oh and I wore makeup friday night. suppose that didn't help.

I notice that although my skin is not red and inflamed I have a bumpy texture, cysts. not painful, not red, but they are there, feel like little peas under my skin. I'm gonna get right to work with the steam and warm compresses tomorrow.

Have switched it up a little bit... not using retin-a micro every night, sometimes using the acanya both during the day and at night. using the olay complete during the day and it feels fine, it feels kinda runny on your hand but when it goes onto your face it feels a little thick, maybe bc I have the acnya on already? I just get very worried about moistuizers breaking me out.

Its a little discouraging when I see improvement but get in the mirror real close and still see red bumps or feel cysts... but I need to remember this takes time. I really need to remind myself that.

oh, I also have developed a new habit recently of always washing my hands with dial antibacterial soap prior to washing my face or applying meds/moisturizer. I usually just wash with reg soap, but I thought it would be smart to sanitize my hands before rubbing them all over my face.

unfortunately it doesn;t help that I have a bad face-picking habit. My skin is peeling and it just gives me the urge to pick. aghhhh. Stoppppppp!!!.

gawsshhh no one's reading this? how lame! lol. I guess its not that intersting, will prob get a whole lot better when i can post some pictures of some nice smooth skin :)

so I have finally got it back in my head that in order for a regimen to be a regimen, it needs to be followed everyay exactly the same for quite some time. I have not been messing with other products and so i have not had bad flare ups as usual. the only thing i have been doing different is alternating some nights with acanya instead if retin-a. I do this as I see fit... for example right now i have some non-irritated cysts i feel under the skin, would like them to flatten out, so bam out some acanya on at night. also like doing it at night bc i can put a little extra on and not worry about becoming ghostface like during the daytime.

also - hooray for cetaphil. wow, I am a believer. Im not sure if its causing some of the under the skin breakouts, but i think those are just caused by lady-time if u know what i mean.

oh and still on my oral supplements daily.

have been on all for 30 days

omega 3

alpha lipoic acid

womens multi

clear skin formula by vitamedica

keep your fingers crossed with me. I don't wanna go on accutane. scared of side effects.

Try including zinc 100 mg within your supplement regimen. It regulates your sebacous gland production of oil. If after 5 days you dont notice any improvemnt just discontinue it. you can pick zinc at any stores and very cheap too....$5.00

Try including zinc 100 mg within your supplement regimen. It regulates your sebacous gland production of oil. If after 5 days you dont notice any improvemnt just discontinue it. you can pick zinc at any stores and very cheap too....$5.00

I have read in many many places that zinc can help acne, that it aids in skin healing. I have also read that acne can actually be caused by zinc deficiency.

I was taking stress-tabs before since they have zinc - but I know that the Vitamedica has zinc and my multivitamin has zinc too, So I went off stress tabs in case I was taking too much. I will have to look at the total milligrams I'm taking.

Thanks!

ok so today is septemeber 12th i guess I've been on this regimen officially almost two weeks. skin is not horrenously cystic as when first started (of course, could of been a timing issue, will see next month) but I find that i have a lot of blackhead looking things, which is not the kinc of acne I usually get. its pretty easy in some cases to just squeeze out the the plug (which it literally looks like a little plug, not like pus) but in some cases they cannot be squeezed, so i don't attempt.

I guess that can be attributed to not using any sort of scrub or mask or even regular facial cleanser, since the cetaphil is super super gentle, watery lotion-like consistency. But I have read over and over "Scrubs... no bueno" so I will stay away. I have heard scrubs with synthetic uniform bears are ok... but I don't feel like wasting any more money right now :)

i haven't been doing retin-a every night, i have been using the acanya on some nights, and actually have been oversleeping quite a few times this week and not doing my morning regimen. need to get back on that.

the other issue i hate is that all day my skin gets extremely oily. And i mean in a way you can't compete with. so im gonna order some of those blotting sheets from ebay... very cheap there. also, if uve ever seen those brown napkins from chipotle or dunkin donuts, theuy're kind og textured.... not to rub (obvious irritation) but turn them inside out so the rougher texture is facing out and dab your face... those work extremely well at removing oil. even better than blotting sheets. and they are basically free. Im thinking of cutting them into the sheet size and carrying in my purse. lol. whatever works.

today im gonna steam my face and maybe do some warm compresses to continue to help the plugs surface.

on the two week mark ill post another set of pictures.

ugh. I overslept yet again today and didn't have time to put on Acanya or even really properly wash my face. ugh.

However, yesterday I was so good about steaming my face. And since my skin hasn't gotton at all irritated on this regimen (just a little peely) I have gotton back to using my clarisonic face brush daily, sometimes twice a day with cetaphil and the gentle brush attachment.

I have been getting some blackheads (or at least thats what I think they are...) but basically less giant cysts (just a few small non-inflamed ones) and tiny little plugged pores, that do not have pus or any oozing stuff. just hard little plugs. I'm pretty sure this is when u can tell the retin-a is working. but these little bumps are just begging to be picked. badddd. no picking!

the steam followed with the clarisonic really helped exfoliate my face. I have sworn off chemical and exfoliators (such as glycolic acid and salicylic acid) and scrubs. However I was thinking of reintroducting them once my sklin had fully adjusted and has no inflamed pimples.

I also noticed that when I applied the retin-a last night and rubbed it in, the skin actually absorbed it very well, wheres usually alot of it sort of sits on the surface. and my skin looked bteer this morning.

right now my face feels like an oil slick and I need to wipe it bad. I wish I had a sink at my desk to wash my face 3x's a day. lol.

Im going to do steam again tonight followed by clarisonic. I seriously must spend at least 2 hours a day on my face.

ok, i def have been feeling the need to give a little scrub to my face lately, but had refrained from doing so bc I was so worried about how it ruins ur skin, but I have been getting some closed comedones and i just had the constant urge to pick my face. so a scrub may be bad, but better than picking ur face.

I picked up the smooth skin scrub by olay since ive been using their moisturizr and i think its pretty good. I almost got aveeno, but all the ingredients in it turned me off, the olay seemed simple enough for me.

unfortunately i have not been following my regimen to a t. and I believe that is why my skin is taking a while to clear. last night i fell asleep w/o washing my face one last time and puttin on retin-a. tonight i will. may skip the staming since i already scrubbed today. dont wanna do too much.

her are my pictures at say, i think this is the 2 week mark. not very much changed one side improved the other side got a little worse.

post-135205-1284683124_thumb.jpg

post-135205-1284683161_thumb.jpg

post-135205-1284683124_thumb.jpg

post-135205-1284683161_thumb.jpg

ugh. so today i got on the topic of skin at work. I dunno why I always do that to myself. But i guess its like the elephant in the room. lol. Anyways we go to talking about all different treatments and pills and my coworker told me she went on something and her skin is good, apparently her monther had and still has bad acne, so in an effort to nip her daughters acne in the bud she took her to the derm alot when she was younger.

I do get a little discouraged when I start to discuss my acne with people, because I feel like yelling, "you don't understand, there is something wrong with my skin, and I can't figure it out or fix it" I'm not dirty, lack hygiene or only eat junk food. I actually spend hours and hundreds of dollars on my skin. especially when my mom gets on me about it.

anyways, I am still doing my regimin and I see some improvement. I am not expecting this to happen overnight. I think the hardest thing to deal with is the PIH, which never seems to leave and makes my face looks worse than it really is. this combined with oily skin and some active pimples... well thats where the discouragement comes from. I hope the PIH starts to fade.

Anyway, today I listened to Joel osteen and he talked about having the right perspective. And said something that really stuck with me. there was a story about a man who was upset he had no shoes, until he met a man who had no feet.

he also talked about how we take little things for granted, that the fact that we got up this morning, told our legs to move and they obeyed, that we opened our eyes and could see.... etc was a big deal... even tho we don't see it that way.

that was really encouraging to me, bc sometimes the problems with my skin are all i can think about, and wondering why it can't just function properly and what the f is wrong with me. but i cannot let it take away the rest of the good things in my life or the qualities people see in me beyond my face.

I just wanna proclaim here to everyone here that this too, shall pass.

ok, so it is sept 27, about a month in, my skin is still breaking out, some deep cysts, much less than I used to get, but texture is not so great. I also have a few whiteheads on my chine area and pimpes on my nose, front and center.

my mom did say she noticed my skin was less oily. I think so too.

I am also thinking of trying a new makeup, when I have some cash since this is a dept store brand. fyi -i only wear makeup on the weekend since i know its bad for my skin. I was recently using loreal true match & setting with neutrogena mineral powder. but my face still ends up looking shiny and like my makeup is melting off.

I read online prescriptives virtual matte is good and so im willing to try it since i can prob return it to the mall if it is no bueno.

ok, so i am super excited. my mom says my skin is improving. I sure don't see it but she does. She says my face does not look inflamed anymore. That i do have acne but it is superficial. True, i get very many little bumps with hard tiny plugs in them. I have found that if they are very close to surface are pretty easy to get out - of course they encourage picking though - no bueno. But steaming helps and then using a tool to remove them (available at ulta & dont forget to soak in alcohol to sanitize) then putting some neosporin on them.

Like i have commented before - i believe this is the way the retin-a works, by loosening these plugs - making it easier for your body to push them to the surface. (think about it - our body is made to push out what we don't need, just our badly-function pores hold onto it) Since these plugs are no longer deep beaneath and becoming in flamed - the cystic acne is greatly reduced. Mind you, this takes some time.

i have pictures from my bro's birtyhday aug 27th when my skin was prob the worst it had been in a long time. my left cheek was so full of inflamed cysitc acne, it was actually thobbing and in pain. (you could literally see it move in the mirror - gross).

Although i had some cysts this month exaclty when i expected them. they were no where near as bad and healed much quicker. One thing i found that helped this weekend was to steam my face and throw on some mint julep mask from queen helene. I dont think of it as a permanant solution - but more so for use maybe once a week or when there are cysts, to help shrink them. Using to many products at once with the retin will irritate ur skin.

makeup: I tried revlon colorstay this weekend due to all the great reviews i saw online - the oily/combo skin formula. Ummmm no. If u have ever painted a room, with say, water-based acrylic housepaint. it smells like that, which really turned me off - but i proceeded to spread it on my face - it was wayyy to thick and felt sticky to me. i am still more a fan of true match. I also bought maybelline oil control loose powder. and it was ok. i didn't see the ingredients on the pkg, so i dunno about safety, of course it SAYS non comedegenic, non-acnegenic (yeh right!) anyways - i think it did keep oilyness at bay.

and well, been doing some research regarding cosmetic ingredients and mineral makeup is not that great for you - unless u order a pure one without some bismuth something ingredient. Neutrogena has this - and it is apparently very bad for acne prone, or really any skin.

U can get better mineral makeup online, just read the ingredients. I also just found this powder by "bye bye blemish" called healthy minerals powder made with sulfur and kaolin clay and a few other ingredients (sulfur is really good for inflamed pimples and kills bactria, kaolin is good to soak up oil) only thing is its translucent. but at the very least i am thinking i can use it to set my foundation,. or mix it with a good mineral makeup and reap the benefits. I am waiting for it to come in the mail - so will update soon.

i can't wait to post pictures of clear, pimple free, scar free skin in a few months.

so, I just looked at the calender and I am on week 6. I was getting discouraged bc my skin is still pretty bad. It's not peeling or dry... it just looks a little red, and the texture is pretty crappy.

whiteheads! i see alot of complaints about these on the tretinoin board... so at least i know I'm not alone. I just remember the first time i went on retin-a how my skin miraculously cleared w/o any new breakouts and i even got compliements on the improvement from people - of course i was on minocycline at the time... ok. but i refuse to go back on.

they say give retin-a (or any treatment) 12 weeks for improvment. Do they know how long 12 weeks is for someone? that is 60 MORE days of work and/or school you will be staring at your feet instead of looking people in the eye, that is 12 more weekends you will coat your face in makeup or avoid going out. its a painful 12 weeks. No wonders people give up.

but i think about how in the past, i have stuck to the retin-a and how its been good to me. so i keep the faith. at least for 12 weeks.

November 24th. halfway there.

ok, so i am super excited. my mom says my skin is improving. I sure don't see it but she does. She says my face does not look inflamed anymore. That i do have acne but it is superficial. True, i get very many little bumps with hard tiny plugs in them. I have found that if they are very close to surface are pretty easy to get out - of course they encourage picking though - no bueno. But steaming helps and then using a tool to remove them (available at ulta & dont forget to soak in alcohol to sanitize) then putting some neosporin on them.

Like i have commented before - i believe this is the way the retin-a works, by loosening these plugs - making it easier for your body to push them to the surface. (think about it - our body is made to push out what we don't need, just our badly-function pores hold onto it) Since these plugs are no longer deep beaneath and becoming in flamed - the cystic acne is greatly reduced. Mind you, this takes some time.

It's interesting that you mention that, because I've noticed the same thing too. I'm not on antibiotics but have recently started Dan's Regimen and have noticed the same thing...lots of little bumps, filled with hard-ish plugs that are pretty easy to get out. I'm kind of happy about that, because since they're all at the surface now, I had a pretty easy time getting them out without causing any real damage to the surrounding area. :D

Good luck with your journey and keep us all updated!

oh awesome! someone's reading my log. Thats exciting you're skin seems to be getting better to. It does feel gross and annying, bc those plugs make ur skin this aweful texture, but at least they're leaving ur pores and not ditting there til your oil glands explode and make cysts.

Sooooo I just wanted to rave about SULFUR and how awesome it is. I dont think it makes for a great acne preventative. bc all it ever does is dry out my skin. But it is excellent for a spot treatment on raised pimples, inflamed pimples, cysts, especially any with pus, ones that are not ready to pop. I think the sulfur really helps in two ways, brings down the inflammation and 2, soaks up the oil.

there are alot of different treatments out there in drugstores - there is bye bye blemish, which is pretty good but the glass container is kind of annoying, it comes in alcohol and u have to scoop out sediment. there is a sulfur mask from proactive, also a knockoff from acnefree i believe.

My favorite for spot treating is adult acnomel. it comes in a decent sized tube for under 10 bucks (it had 33% free when i bought it yay) and it has 8% sulfur... u dont need to scoop out the sediment like the bye bye blemish. its also a pink color so u can possibly dot it on a pimple for daytime use, unlike the white mask from proactive.

The queen helene mint julep mask also has a bit of sulfur in it, though much smaller concentration I assume, bc it isn't listed as an "active" ingredient. so I think the acnomel is much better for spot treating. However the kaolin in the mint julep mask does a great job of soaking up oil. I guess the small amount of sulfur helps w/inflammation.

So - i am still on the same regimen of cetaphil, daytime acnya (usually skip the olay moisturizer bad girl lol) and retin-a micro (grey lower %) at night. But the sulfur has been soooo helpful in bringing down my hormonal breakouts this month.

so heres how I think my regimen is working: since i have several problems im battling at one: combo & sensitive skin, scarring while still getting active pimples....

cetaphil - gently cleanses skin only, does nothing to treat, and that is good because i am putting too much crap on my skin as it is.

acanya (Day) - to help prevent breakouts

retin-a - to help the texture, and marks. Also to help de-plug pores much deeper in the skin

sulfur - to help active pimples dry out faster, bring down inflammation.

as for the supplements im taking - i dunno they could be helping, i dont think they;re hurting except for the fact my hair still seems to be shedding, so maybe solodyn was not the cause. I am going to look into whether i'm taking to much of a particular vitamin.too much vitamin a causes hair loss. (just like accutane :shock: )

ok. I'm back, so I just wanted to come on here and talk about makeup a little bit, since it plays a huge role in acne.

I have recently gone thru many, many kinds of makeup. I was using neutrogena minerals for a long time, then switched to Avon minerals, then back when avon changed its formula to be very shimmery. I used to be able to get by on just a little concealer and mineral makeup - but the texture of my skin and lots of PIH combined with huge insecurity has forced me into the world of liquid foundation in the past two years. Luckily, only on nights out, as I refuse to wear makeup to my 9-5 cubicle job.

Makeup is tough for combo skin, one minute its peeling the next its an oil slick. I have gone thru all these brands:

Maybelline pure - i think is really great because its very high percent of water for combo skin, problem is, in the summer it sorta melts off in humidity. I have also found lately, it does not blend very smoothly on my texture of skin. they have a great little concealer stick w/salicylic acid - i can vouch for this being a great product - it is like an eyeliner pencil so u just use it where u need it. it is thick tho - so maybe ends up clogging pores more.

Rimmel matte w/skin pure complex - I really wanna like this foundation since its supposed to be matte and good for skin and even won some kind of award. But almost everytime i've tried to put it on, it looks extremely streaky, and as i try to blend it in, it just slides off my face. (im not wondering if it has expired and that could be why.... hmmm) But, when i have managed to get it on my skin, a little while later, it got very dry and peely looking.

Loreal true match - reviews of this online are great and with good reason. I read about a makeup artist saying how when this foundation came out everyone was very excited because it was supposed to have the same formulation to give it "glide" like very high end foundations. And he was right. It smooths on your skin so nicely, and feels nice on my dry skin, and doesn't melt off later in the night. But u do get a nice glow which i dont mind, but I can see it can see it not really mattifying skin (i used a mattifier underneath to help) - But.... this makeup does wonders to hide imperfections in texture and looks very natural in pictures. It is oil free. I don;t like that the bottle says nothing about be non-comodegenic.

Revlon colorstay - after a night out in a hot lounge - no, not a hip happening place - literally a HOT lounge - my friend said, omg ur really sweating a lot. And I knew i was, and dabbing my face with toilet paper in the bathroom, but I didn't think it was bad enough for her to notice. I read online colorstay was very very good for oily skin. so I bought a bottle at walmart for $10. which u cant test bc they're all sealed and since i live in ghetto-ville NJ, they have employees hovering over you. Color match in botle looked good.... on skin... HORRID. And it smelled like the paint department at home depot (I know I worked there for 2 years) I couldn't get past that smell even if i did find a good color. It also felt like acrylic paint. gross. I can't believe people love it.

Almay clear complexion- so after reading all about "good" cosmetics and nearly ordering a $35 bottle of prescriptives i decided to give drugstore makeup one last shot. As i read on another board - almay is "synonomous" with hypoallergenic, gentle etc.... but what to buy? I liked the idea of the nearly naked makeup (combo/normal skin) but didn't like spf (hello, onlywearing at night) and I thought, hey, maybe the clear complexion will help keep the oilies down. So i got the foundation, tried it out just for fun one night w/nowhere to go. Did not go on nearly as smooth as the loreal true match, but not as thick as colorstay. And the color match was very very good and natural. however - once i put on maybelline loose powder, didn't look so good. I attribute this to the loose powder and not the almay - bc once i went out the next day and got the corresponding r and pressed powder, my skin looked pretty nice. I needed to do a little more blending towrd my neckline as my hand was heavy on my chin. I even (accidentally) took a nap in this makeup and it looked great when i got up. now to be fair - i did use monistat chafing gel as a primer prior to applying this - but i dont think it wouldve made a huge difference, bc it sure didn't feel like much when i put it on. I will try again w/o primer & see how it goes.

also- this has salicylic acid - all the products in clear complexion line do. but low percentages. my skin was a little peely looking after i removed the makeup, but not a big deal, once washed. it was not irritated or inflamed which i was worried about. almay truely lived up to its hypoallergenic name!

I also tried covergirl clean - i dont think this makeup is too special. I don't really have anything good or bad to say about it. its just ok. I don't think it is good for a night out.

I hope that helps u guys. fyi, im staying away from mineral makeup since i have read some pretty bad stuff about it. And it does make sense that it destroys ur skin, essentially you're rubbing finely milled rocks on ur face. Its just so new and recent that this stuff isnt really discovered yet til peoples skin texture gets destroyed (like mine) - in fact i sometimes wonder if it was mineral makeup that gave me all these problems to begin with... ?

i only read your first post in its entirety and vaguely skimmed the rest.

just some words of encouragement. i cannot stress the importance of giving a product time. i don't use retin-a and don't know much about it, i use differin which i guess if a bit similar cause of the whole retinoid thing. im at three months and if i had followed the rule of results in 3 months i would have probably quit. my skin has improved so much but i've been still breaking out. results are happening but just happening really slowly. from all that i've read it seems that between 4-6 months people are really satisfied with the results. it seems that products in the retinoid category take longer than BAM clear by month three. so just hang in there and hope everything works out.

i only read your first post in its entirety and vaguely skimmed the rest.

just some words of encouragement. i cannot stress the importance of giving a product time. i don't use retin-a and don't know much about it, i use differin which i guess if a bit similar cause of the whole retinoid thing. im at three months and if i had followed the rule of results in 3 months i would have probably quit. my skin has improved so much but i've been still breaking out. results are happening but just happening really slowly. from all that i've read it seems that between 4-6 months people are really satisfied with the results. it seems that products in the retinoid category take longer than BAM clear by month three. so just hang in there and hope everything works out.

Hi, thanks for the encouragement. Yes I think retinoids are amazing and a lot of people hate them because of the time they take to work, and also the initial purging they induce. Its hard on someone whose trying to clear up their skin- using something that seems to make it worse. I was on differen maybe 2 yrs ago, but i have chosen retin-a over differen, since I felt it worked better for me.

I am now about 2 months into retin-a every night (i was sporadic throughout the summer, so I don't count that time) and i am seeing mild improvement in that i still have breakouts, much like you, but they are less severe than before.

I am tempted to move up to the stronger percent (which i have done in the past) but i have been attempting to be more gentle to my poor face than i have been in the past lol. and i think my face is thanking me in return :)

ok, so i *believe* my skin is clearing up. slowly. Which is fine with me, because i was pretty used to it never clearing up at all.

I was looking at pictures from my bros birthday the weekend of aug 27th and my face was in horrendous condition. I had to untag myself from all the pictures on facebook. this is also when i had a cluster of inflamed cystic acne on my right cheek that actually thobbed (you could see my cheek twitch) it sometimes felt like someone was sticking a needle into my cheek.

So for the few raised pimples i have on my cheeks right now and a few trialing down to my chin, I say "no sweat". lol. Also - my skin is not inflamed and red like before - thank you, cetaphil. It is not peeling like crazy, SO- IF U ARE USING A TOPICAL RETINOID and complaining of redness/peeling. I have been there, u need to use a very gentle cleanser & nothing else, if u like the foaming kind use purpose or clean and clear foaming for sensitive (im almost certain these are identical, but C&C is much cheaper in a not as pretty bottle) or, even better u can try cetaphil.... it gros on you to the pint that u will adore it. trust me.

so now that breakouts are slowly coming down for the time being, and becoming much less intense... i still have the oil problem.

I really dunno what there is u can do about oil. I thought about a mattifier, but what does it do? where does that oil end up?? i dont like the idea, so i just ordered some japanese blotting papers from ebay.

now that i can apply makeup without having a giant foundation covered mountain on my cheek (just rolling hills lol) i have started using almay... and i've just been looking at makeup techniques online and just ordered a whole ton of brushes/cosmetics from E.L.F.

instead of using just a sponge or foundation brush to apply makeup.... try smoothing on with foundation brush, then stippling with blush brush. or u can get a stippling brush from E.L.F. for $3 have not tried it yet - but willl let u know if its good.

I am also condsidering a primer for my makeup on the advice of a friend. i dont like the idea of more stuff on my face, but makeup is a 2x a week thing for me... i have also read on makeup alley, this one by claudia stevens is good and did not cause breakouts.

Im just getting very excited about my skin clearing up (even if im not there yet). and starting to feel more beautiful again, which i think really helps. (for the girls at least) but even the guys, stay positive about your appearance, and knwo that your condition is improving.

will post pictures tonight after washing face (it seems to look alot worse after not washing a few hours)

i'm pretty new to using make-up. i'm currently using just foundation (revlon colorstay). i'm using a stipling brush to put it on. i've tried with this and some other products to use a sponge, fingers, other brush, and nothing seems to come close to the stipling brush for me. everything else looks noticeable.

since u have an oily face, in terms of the primer you might want to check out milk of magnesia since it like $3 for a big bottle. some people here esp those with oily faces really like it.

also question...after 4 or 5 or whatever months if i were to switch immediately to retin-a. would i still experience a IB? since the skin cells are already regenerating at a faster rate since of the differin, and everything from under should have come up, etc? i don't plan on switching so far it's more of a question of curiosity.

i'm pretty new to using make-up. i'm currently using just foundation (revlon colorstay). i'm using a stipling brush to put it on. i've tried with this and some other products to use a sponge, fingers, other brush, and nothing seems to come close to the stipling brush for me. everything else looks noticeable.

since u have an oily face, in terms of the primer you might want to check out milk of magnesia since it like $3 for a big bottle. some people here esp those with oily faces really like it.

also question...after 4 or 5 or whatever months if i were to switch immediately to retin-a. would i still experience a IB? since the skin cells are already regenerating at a faster rate since of the differin, and everything from under should have come up, etc? i don't plan on switching so far it's more of a question of curiosity.

Hi!

I actually just ordered a stippling brush from Eyes lips face for $3 - sweet deal. Im so excited to try it. I actually got a whole set of brushes and a ton of other crap for $50. No foundation tho - not taking the risk. I'll stick with almay for now.

I also have a bottle of colorstay at home that looked terrible when applied with foundation brush or sponge. Maybe ill try again with the stippling brush to see if it makes a difference. bc i truly hated it, but ive read so many good things about it.

I also read about milk of magnesia here and all over the internet, but i think i did too much research and scared myself, bc i read somewhwere the ph does not match your skin and isn't good (too high i think?) So im cautious.

I bought the primer from sally beauty and it feels just like monistat. looks like it too, maybe a little less thick.

heres the thing about primer and i read online - if your makeup has silicone (my liquid foundation does) already in it, you're not supposed to use silicone based primer since it will pill up. Yes, i became a huge pill-up face....

I applied the primer and then used a blush brush to stipple my makeup on. had to remove my makeup and reaapply to a fresh face haha. The other day i used the blush brush to stipple on foundation (w/o primer) and it came out fine. so i think it was the primer.

but, i think primer does work really well when using mineral foundation, since it gives you skin a "grip" to hold the powder. Otherwise i dont think its needed, or advisable. and this almay was pretty nice at keeping my skin matte for my 7 hour workday and beyond on friday and saturday.

ahhh, i just realized i started rambling on so much abot makeup i didn't answer ur question LOL.

I don't think you should get an IB when switching from differen to retin-a, as they are both retinoids. Differin is a synthetic, while retin-a is a natual retinoid. the only thing is, I feel ur skin may become more red/irritated since I find the differin to be gentler than retin-a.

I was on differin for about 2-3 months and didn't see it have the same peeling effect (and less redness/irritation overall) but at the same time, I didn't notice much of a difference in my skin. But i mean, my skin's pretty bad + scarring, I need the big guns lol.

if the differen is working for you, albeit slowly. I would stick with it at least for 3-4 months before switching.

also - if u ever do go off a retinoid for a while and go back on, you will get the same IB. it has to be consistenly used, daily, for months to see improvement.

I just started acanya & retin-a micro yesterday! my acne is so inflamed and irritated-ugh! i hate this-hope we both clear up...it worked for me in the past ;)

post-140121-1288399021_thumb.jpg

post-140121-1288399021_thumb.jpg

wow you are lucky, you have no scars... did u use something for that?

I hope the retin-a/acanya combo helps you get the cysts under control, it did help me...

I have found that I do not get crazy amounts of cysts, but still several... they don't group together and form clusters anymore which is good...

but my skin just isn't clearing up, and now teeny zits have migrated to my forehead ad sides of nose (under eyes) I feel like I can't do this anymore...

everyday at work I spend hours researching acne, diet, vitamins, hormones... while i should be working... every week i buy more and more sh*t to try and clear my face. i feel obsessed with it and depressed that it has come to this point where it takes over my life.

I have looked around on this site for years, and known about the regimen all that time.... but ever since proactive failed me, and destroyed my skin I have consistently veered away from BP.

The acanya is gentle... but it leaves behind a white film that only draws MORE attention to my face. Since I was done with my tub, rather than dshing out the $25 for a new one... I decided to give the regimen a try.

I never had faith in it, bc well, its so basic, with stuff I don;t like, like BP and moisturizer. But there were soooo many pictures of ppl with amazing before and after picutres and I want to be one of them sooo badly.

So I finally got my kit today and I was so excited. I think I finally have faith in something to treat my acne. Faith bc this is not some product on a shelf or in the derms office that has an obscene price tag or crazy marketing gimmick, but a product that was formulated by an acne sufferer himself. I have faith he really made something with the best intention to help treat acne, and bc of that I have a lot of faith this will work.

Faith is just one thing I have not had to treat my acne. Its is so hard to have faith when you are going on YEARS of having horrible skin, years without any solution, and enduring all the side affects because you will, in truth, do anything for normal skin.

and ironically enough, I think faith is what we need most to help cure ourselves.

I liked how he put on his "stuff I use" page "an open mind" - bc I knew exactly what he meant by that... and it makes sense. a lot of sense.

anyways... Im going to try really hard to stick to this regimen, bc this is one I have a lot of faith in. The bp goes on very smoothly and does not leave white residue. The wash was nice, I missed using a foaming wash since switching to cetaphil... it did not feel drying. and the moisturizer felt good too.. I didn't need two pumps, I think one would be enough.

so now... lets see what happens :)

for some weird reason i dont scar-thank god! i just get post inflammatory hyper-pigmentation; the acanya & retin-a micro seem to be working for me just very slowly! :(...i can relate to feeling obsessed with ur skin and all the shame/negative feelings that go along with having acne-its tough; dont want to date looking this way or hang out with anyone because i feel so embarrassed by this condition and makeup doesnt do much-i hate wearing it i just refuse to go out with red bumps; i just want to stop breaking out so my skin can heal and clear up; i feel i need the topical AB with BP in it because the BP by itself wasnt doing much for me; i hope that once it all stops/calms down i can go to just using BP with the retin-a at nite which i do already notice is really smoothing out my skin(peeling too) even though i still have pimples-i have faith that this stuff will work for me-only been 11 days on them and i used them in the past and i did get really clear it just takes time :( at least my family is really supportive and i have an appointment with a doc to get my hormones checked out because cystic acne at 30 isn't normal like my body is telling me something; i'm also doing my hardest to get off sugar because i feel that is really detrimental to my health/skin & eating more salads; i hope we both can get clear because it sucks having to have this kind of skin and try to live a normal, happy life; i am tired of isolating because of my skin!