Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
johns

my daily ritual

Ok, in the morning I usually take a quick shower. It only lasts about 7 minutes, so it's not too drying. I wash once with ivory soap. Rinsing with cool water.

I take a doxycycline pill.

I wait about 20 minutes, and put on some enthromycin benxoyl peroxide stuff.

A few minutes later, when my face feels dry, I put concelear on. Just a little bit, because I don't really have bad acne.

Despite arguments which relates diet to acne and whether or not there is a direct correlation, I try and eat healthy throughout the day. No soda, rarely any sweets, etc. But on the other hand, I drink a cup of coffee almost every day...not so much anymore, but I used to.

Take another doxycycline pill

At night, a few hours before I sleep, I take a longer shower and wash my face once, then wash my hair, wait around in the shower for a little bit and wash it again. Rinsing with cool water. So I wash it twice, I think it might be a little drying.

Then I put on the enthromycin benxoyl peroxide and sleep.

I only did it once, but from now on, once a week I'm going to use St. Ives hydroxy masque.

And like once every two weeks, I substitute soap with a 10% benxoyl peroxide wash. I read that this is damaging to the skin, so I'm just going to stop it.

I'm also going to start taking a couple vitamins before I sleep as well. Such as a vitamin b super complex, E and C.

Now I'm a dude, and I shave every other day with an electric razor. I have a 5 o'clock shadow. Right now I only have like 4 active zits, and a couple red marks that are about 80% faded. Most of the red is on my forehead, because I always have hair in my face and I think the products are irritating my forehead.

I don't use a moisterizer either.

So if anybody could give me suggestions as to making my skin 100% perfect. I'm a perfectionist, I know. Sorry for the long post, and hopefully somebody will reply.

moisturizing is good for the skin... but then again, I'm female, and I always moisturize...

Well, it seems like what you've been doing has been working. Congrats! you just need to give it time; I know, everyone hates to hear that, but time is key to healing acne. Or if you want to be courageous, drop the oral meds, and go into Dan's regimen. I've never taken oral antibiotics, so I don't know how much faster they work in comparison to topical applications. But, Dan's regimen has helped me out so much, I think it could work for you too!

Good luck!

Yeah I was pretty clear even without the oral medication, I just got it just for the extra help...or something like that. Thanks though.

Get rid of that ivory soap and pick up a decent facewash.

If your willing to spend some cash i suggest you go to mensessentials.com

Is there something wrong with Ivory soap? It's been working fine for me so far. And it's not like I have money to throw around, college is expensive and I don't feel like bumming money off my parents. What are the benefits of a "decent" facewash as opposed to regular soap?

Any soap that's oil-free and mild should work fine. My doc suggested Dove or Cetaphil (both are fairly inexpensive). If you're taking other perscription meds like topicals, you want to avoid anything medicated (i.e. salicylic acid, BP, etc.)

I completely agree - I would swap the ivory soap for a face wash. Soap is overly drying and very harsh to the sensitive facial skin, which can cause irratation and, alas, pimples. If your worried about expense, there are PLENTY of very cheap drugstore products. If you want a product you can use on your whole body (like in your shower) I would go for a bar like Dove Sensitive skin, Cetaphil, or Neutrogena. These bars are just about the same prise as ivory, if not a couple dollars extra.

If you want to opt for something a little more effective (and in some cases, like Cetaphil liquid, more gentle), go for something like Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash... But be careful of the ingredients. The cleanser i just mentioned is what I use, but only because I have tough skin that can take just about anything I put to it. The neutrogena acne wash contains salyctic acid (sp?), which helps to unclog pores but can also dry up certain skin types if used with derm products. My derm told me to stay clear from anything with MENTHOL, which creates that tingling sensation after you wash (clean and clear deep clean, neutrogena deep clean), because it can irritate pimples even further.

If you really want to know the benefits of using a soap-free cleanser for your face, talk to a dermatologist. All of them will tell you the same thing.