Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lima

Skin starting to clear!

Okay - in my quest for a healthier, low GI diet, and bodybuilding, I screwed my skin up.

I WAS eating/drinking:

Rice, Oats, Bread

All lean meats

Apples, Bananas, Strawberries, Blueberries, Honey, Sultanas

Canola Butter, Olive Oil, Almonds, Peanut Butter, Tuna

Whey, Creatine, L-Glutamine, Sustagen + Sustagen Sport

I cut out a fair chunk of this because I just got frustrated.

Cut out:

Oats

Bananas, Honey, Sultanas

Almonds, Peanut Butter, Canned Tuna

ALL supplements (besides fish oil and multi)

MY SKIN IS GETTING BETTER

Something I was having (or a combination) was screwing my skin up, and I have no idea what it was. At least I know I can eat all the rice in the world and my skin is improving dramatically - could never go without my carbs.

I'm thinking of slowly re-introducing foods back into my diet, but I really don't wanna break out again! Any help/suggestions?

Hey this is pretty much what im doing now, but its quite hard to get the calories in on my diet. One thing I have started eating is GF bread (its called Genius in the UK) for some more carbs and calories.

If your going to re introduce food back into your diet then I would do it after about a month of what ever diet you have now. This will give your body some time to heal up. When you do come to reintroducing, do it one at a time for a week or two, then review the situation. If your skin looks good and your not having any digestion issues, keep it in, if you are having trouble then you know to keep it out - then move onto the next food to re introduce.

What I plan to do is just what I mentioned above, and chose each of the usual intolerant foods (egg, nuts, dairy and MAYBE gluten) and test for a week. Once i've done all 3/4 and have a good diet that gives me the calories I need, I will stick to it for about 3 months, then re introduce the foods that were causing me trouble when I was testing.

Exciting stuff Lima!!

May I make one suggestion? I'd say ditch the canola butter. That seems to be the only major disconnect in your diet; everything else is whole food.

Also, I recommend at least once in the near future you try to scrap the bread, and give gluten-free a full try. Just test it out, see what happens.

I think you are approaching this all the right ways. Take your time, add in things slowly one at a time and monitor how you look/feel. I'd definitely give almonds another shot- I used to think they caused me problems but I have now realized a million times over that they make my skin look GREAT, and make me feel great. Such a great source of vitamin E, calcium, magnesium + other minerals.

Of all those things listed, I would be most suspect of the supplements as well... I'd say hone in on the diet, then try re-introducing supps. Keep up the good work!!

Exciting stuff Lima!!

May I make one suggestion? I'd say ditch the canola butter. That seems to be the only major disconnect in your diet; everything else is whole food.

Also, I recommend at least once in the near future you try to scrap the bread, and give gluten-free a full try. Just test it out, see what happens.

I think you are approaching this all the right ways. Take your time, add in things slowly one at a time and monitor how you look/feel. I'd definitely give almonds another shot- I used to think they caused me problems but I have now realized a million times over that they make my skin look GREAT, and make me feel great. Such a great source of vitamin E, calcium, magnesium + other minerals.

Of all those things listed, I would be most suspect of the supplements as well... I'd say hone in on the diet, then try re-introducing supps. Keep up the good work!!

How do you eat the almonds? soak them overnight?

you should be okay with canned tuna, leave it out if you think it has an effect though. Here in the Uk you can buy tuna in spring water, but I've been getting on fine with Sardines, Mackerel, Kippers etc in tins/cans. Only slight problem I have is they all come with added salt, but as I said, isn't doing me any harm.

Hey do you really think the oats played a big part in your acne?

Ive recently started eating oats alot (I like em dry with a spoonful of sweetener and cinnamon powder) and Im pretty much addicted to the stuff, but I thought they arent too bad for the skin as they have a large amount of fibre in them and are pretty low GI in general.

Also what type of rice do you eat, I can eat brown rice and basmalti occasionally but other types of white rice can break me out pretty quickly. Same with bread, any type of bread actually.

I'm a little confused as to why you got rid of the oats instead of the bread. Oats, generally, have a significantly lower GI than bread.

Hey guys, thanks for all your replies!

I've decided to cut out bread aswell through everybody's suggestions, which I guess will see the end of my canola butter too!

So no dairy or wheat for a while. bummer. i love my vegemite toast.

And I'm getting an IgG food allergy blood test done on Thursday or possibly next week, and this covers a lot of foods! Hopefully this will be helpful to me and save me a bit of mucking around.

Foods covered:

Dairy: Casein, Cheese (Cheddar), Cheese (Cottage), Cheese (Mozzarella), Milk, Milk (Goat), Whey, Yoghurt

Fruits: Apple, Apricot, Banana, Blueberry, Coconut, Cranberry, Grape, Grapefruit, Lemon, Orange, Papaya, Peach, Pear, Pineapple, Plum, Raspberry, Strawberry

Grains/Legumes/Nuts: Almond, Amaranth, Barley, Beans (Kidney, Lima, Pinto), Buckwheat, Corn, Filbert (Hazelnut), Gliadin (Wheat), Gluten(Wheat), Lentil, Oats, Peas, Peanut, Pecan, Rice (White), Rye, Sesame, Soybean, Spelt, String Beans, Sunflower, Walnut, Wheat (Whole)

ben90 - I think I'll take your advice and just stick to this diet for a month - I really want to be 95% clear before I start re-introducing foods, just so I can have a baseline of my skin.

venam - I was taking creatine for quite a while, and even during the loading phase where I was having 20g or so per day I don't remember seeing any noticable increase in acne, and I'm still unsure whether it's making me break out so I'm just gonna leave it out just incase! It's a bummer because creatine makes you gain quite a lot.

Drizzler - definately will consider re-introducing almonds in the near future - I just cut them out because I noticed my acne increasing around the same time as I introduced them, but I never really thought it was related, just being safe.

captainsunshine - I think the iodine in the tuna was contributing to my acne somewhat, and I was having the spring water version too :/ not 100% sure though.

I'll give it another shot once my skin heals, because they have such good oils and are a great source of protein!

JoeBloggs - I know that oats are really good for you, and I was having these organic traditional rolled oats right out of the health food section. I too was addicted and still crave them, and I'm not sure if they contributed to my acne but I'm just weaning myself off them in preperation for summer (nobody wants steaming hot oats on 40+ degree days! haha)

I would say keep having the oats mate.

And I live in AUS where they sell ricegrowers doongara long-grain white rice. It's GI is in the 40's and I've been having a shitload of it and seems to be completely fine in terms of breakouts.

Mirrfiak - again it's mostly weaning off it for summer, but next winter I'll definately get back on the oats.

Thanks again everybody and I'd still love to hear any more suggestions/comments.

Happy skin days

Doongara rice tastes amazing! And you can't overcook it. I once left a pot of it on for about 40 minutes by accident, and it still tasted alright haha (still threw it out, but yeah).

Update:

So last night I was dying for some carbs, and wanting to change it up I had some wholegrain cereal which had wheat and oats and some other grains.

I had it with soymilk.

This morning I had a boost juice (smoothie) with yoghurt and berries.

All I know is that my skin has been oily today since about 2pm and I know it's one of these!

Either I'm having a delayed reaction to the wheat/oats/soy milk, or its a quick reaction to the yoghurt in the smoothie.

Either way at least I know it's one of these things contributing to my oily skin.

Must.. resist... wheat and dairy.

It's the carbs, they're all the same.

I agree to go as low carb as you can get without starving yourself but all carbs are NOT the same. Id consume 100 grams of carbs from yams/brown rice before I consumed 100 grams from white potatoes/pasta anyday. The blood sugar spike effects acne, I dont think you should COMPLETELY avoid carbs unless you suspect candida (which even that is overblown on here)

I'm not sure guys - the thing is I can have like 300g of carbs in the form of low-gi rice in a day and I don't get breakouts.

I don't think it's the excess carbs, I think it's the quality of the carbs, and in my case whether the carbs are comprised of wheat.

Today I bought this cereal that is 68% wholegrain barley and wheat free, and had a big bowl with soy milk - so if I have a reaction to this I think it might show me the soy milk is a problem. I really doubt it though, I'm just looking for more wheat-free things to eat.

And my skin is looking fairly good today, I'm definately gonna keep avoiding dairy and wheat for a while, and then re-introduce whey protein next monday or so and see how I cope with that.

I used to have it (and a lot of it) without any trouble, I just cut it out just to make sure.

So here's hoping. :boohoo:

Well I take back my post about the oats earlier, it turns out they were causing me to breakout, however it was my own fault as I was eating large large quantities of it

I was having a really big bowl of the stuff before excercise (it gives me a lot of energy I must admit), and then I was having another really big bowl as my last meal of the day (biggest mistake I think), and this would literally be like half an hour after eating my dinner. So I think my current breakout is from a carb overload basically.

From now on Im going to stick to just one small bowl of the stuff before excercising and thats it.

I'm not sure guys - the thing is I can have like 300g of carbs in the form of low-gi rice in a day and I don't get breakouts.

I don't think it's the excess carbs, I think it's the quality of the carbs, and in my case whether the carbs are comprised of wheat.

Today I bought this cereal that is 68% wholegrain barley and wheat free, and had a big bowl with soy milk - so if I have a reaction to this I think it might show me the soy milk is a problem. I really doubt it though, I'm just looking for more wheat-free things to eat.

And my skin is looking fairly good today, I'm definately gonna keep avoiding dairy and wheat for a while, and then re-introduce whey protein next monday or so and see how I cope with that.

I used to have it (and a lot of it) without any trouble, I just cut it out just to make sure.

So here's hoping. :boohoo:

make sure you take a whey isolate and not a concentrate. HUGE difference.

Bad luck Joe! Oats are SO GOOD.

BUT OH MY GOD. i think i've found out what has been causing my acne problems for the past few months.

You know that awesome cereal that I told you about in my last post, the one that is wheat free?

well turns out the cereal is AWESOME. so I ate 3 big bowls today in replacement of my usual rice/meat.

About 10pm I started farting like crazy (yes a bit gross), but like every 1-2 minutes I'd fart, not just a little bit frequently. I started to think of what I ate during the day, and obviously realised it was the cereal. Anywho the skin on my shoulders felt a bit sore skin-wise, and I took a look in the mirror and all my body acne was BRIGHT RED and inflamed and hurt alot. Also noticed about 4 new pimples (2 of them big bastards) formed during the course of the day.

AND I WOKE UP WITH the best skin ive had in months.

So it was obviously the cereal yeah? WRONG.

It's the soy milk. I'm 98% sure.

I thought about it for a bit, and realised that this has been the cause of my acne for this entire time.

About the time I started developing body acne was about 1 week after I changed to soy milk from regular milk (was trying to be healthier) - before then my acne was just solely on my face (I think from high-GI foods my face was getting oily).

Also, this would exlpain why I thought oats were the culprit, because every time I'd have them I would put soy milk in them ARGHHHHH.

This would also explain why sometimes my skin was a bit clearer - sometimes id have 1 bowl of oats a day and sometimes 2.

AND (yes this is alot) this would account for the recent week or so where my skin has been improving drastically with basically no inflammation - because I thought wheat and oats could've been causing it I stopped having them (and incidently I always have them with soy milk).

ALL THIS DAMN TIME.

I know this sounds like im jumping to conclusions but it makes so much sense for the entirety of the past few months, and there's definately a strong correlation.

Anyway, I'm obviously gonna stop having soy milk for a good month and see how my skin goes.

Wish me luck, sorry for the giant post i'm just *#($ing excited (thank god for the new cereal showing me the way).

Cheers

Soy breaks me out too, I found out when I started using soy protein powder as a replacement for whey protein, ended up getting a bunch of cystic acne after 2 days of using it. Definately can cause that inflamation you are talking about for people who are intolerant to it.

Glad you found that out, its always a good feeling and a bad feeling when you find something that breaks you out, a good feeling because you know to avoid it in the future and a bad feeling because you have to deal with the damn breakout it gave you.