Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
abdul

having a problem finding a job -

I'm having a problem finding a job - because of acne scarring...?

Has this happened to anyone? / or had the same problem? ... How would/did you deal with this.

I think if employers are discriminating against acne scarred people then it is really unfair... just like racial discrimination...

what do you all think / suggest? apart from keep trying...

I do think people with acne/acne scarring are not considered for some jobs because of their appearance. But proving this in a court of law would be a b****.

Also, some stores could get away with this by requiring that their employees be goodlooking people (recently saw an ad for Nike requesting a photo along with the resume). As long as they state up front that looks are a requirement of the job, I don't think that a person who didn't meet their standards would be able to sue for discrimination. A little like saying that a model has to be beautiful and 5'9" for a job.

Is this discrimination? Not quite sure because they are selling products and want to promote a healthy image.....unfortunately people with acne and scarring are not regarded as healthy since acne has been linked with diet for a very long time.

I don't like it any more than you do, but I tend to think that it has happened and it will continue to happen. sad.gif

I guess my suggestion would be to look for a job that is not retail, but more in the background. Explore fields that not so many people know about. I can't really say because I've let my acne/scarring drive me away from working which completely sucks! And I had a great job with great bosses too! :angry:sad.gif

Thats unfortunate, yeah, I suppose your right...just all takes the P_ _ s. One day soon when I win the lottery or something, Im gonna open up a laser surgery center that will be free for the less fortunate/ low/no incomes like me... but will be in UK first, then US asap...lol I wish.

Yeah, I'm an engineer, and there are lots of ugly people in engineering. I don't think it's illegal to discriminate in general, only on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, etc. Acne is just an aesthetic thing. You can hire somebody that has a certain quality you like, for instance because they are attractive or charismatic. I mean, where do you draw the line? What if somebody has depression and is just sad all the time? Should it be illegal to choose not to hire them because depression is a medical condition?

Deep thoughts.... wink.gif

My old boss used to hire goodlooking people whether they have acne scars or not. she just didn't like the 'average looking joes'

Acne scars can be disfiguring...so maybe they warrent disability... i.e. it may disable you from some oppotunites...if so shouldnt government help out in things like welfare benefits, work placement schemes etc...

I mean, is it the same as having a criminal conviction...some employers may see that and decide not to employ straight away...

I prefer not to see myself as a victim I guess. I once tried to get on disability for chemical dependency. Hey, I was nineteen and my parents sent me to drug and alcohol treatment as a teenager where I was diagnosed with this so-called mental illness. I was trying to scam the system because I was going to college and supporting myself and didn't want to work too much because it affected my grades. Well, I made an appointment with the guy from the disability board or whatever...Social Security I guess it was...and he showed up in a wheel chair. Turns out he can't use either of his legs. You can imagine how I felt trying to take money from a system that is designed to help people like him. If you really can't work because of it, then maybe it is justified, but I don't believe that for a second. Try construction or something. That's what I used to do before I got my college degree. They don't care what the condition of your skin is.

Maybe your right, I was a roof builders assistant for a week for work experience(set up by school for 15yr olds...) and i guess i am strong enough (well maybe I could be abit more), i suppose the shity pay puts me off a little, specially when other people i know get as much or more from just sitting in a shop floor... and not being arrogant or anything on purpose, but most of them are as thick as shit too...well maybe im not that clever myself since i still havent figured out this problem.

as for the system, after seeing farenheit 911... f_ _ k it, if the government can justify wars, tax the shit out of people and only show they care for the poor when in fact they part of keeping people poor...i just dont see the sense...the way i see it, centries ago religion governed the rich and the poor - i.e. royalty or religious leaders, now law governs it all with the government controling all the pieces...not to be too anti govenment - there are some good points in control and stability, but somewhere along those lines i think greed and power blur whats right from wrong... e.g. the revolution of electronic cars from oil driven ones is now possible and even affordable if expenses were allowed, but instead countries like Alaska, Saudi Arabia, and Russia are all being used up for oil profit...damaging the environment only to make money and live the good life for now...mofos.

just imagine if we never needed these countries for oil... i bet there would of been less wars...! but perhaps war would have another reason...

Yeah, it seems like it's part of human nature or something. It's messed up, and so are the government systems that we've set up and that we contribute to. Without government controlling power, though, I suppose power would go to those who had the most physical strength or something. At least our system somewhat balances things even though it isn't perfect by any means. Anyways, back to acne scars...I think it has affected almost every part of my life. I have pretty serious scarring. It looks bad no matter what light I look at it in. Still, I think often it is my loss of self-esteem that causes me to fail in other areas - such as interviewing for jobs. When I carry myself with confidence and dress well and take care of my self in other ways, people seem to notice my scars less. You can impose your personality on people and work with what you got. If the scars don't matter to you, they won't matter to other people either. My problem is when people look at the part of my face where I have scars, my self-esteem just drains out of me and I get depressed. Then I really got a problem.

as for the system, after seeing farenheit 911... f_ _ k it, if the government can justify wars, tax the shit out of people and only show they care for the poor when in fact they part of keeping people poor...i just dont see the sense...the way i see it, centries ago religion governed the rich and the poor - i.e. royalty or religious leaders, now law governs it all with the government controling all the pieces...not to be too anti govenment - there are some good points in control and stability, but somewhere along those lines i think greed and power blur whats right from wrong... e.g. the revolution of electronic cars from oil driven ones is now possible and even affordable if expenses were allowed, but instead countries like Alaska, Saudi Arabia, and Russia are all being used up for oil profit...damaging the environment only to make money and live the good life for now...mofos.

Off subject, but since this thread is turning slightly political I could not help putting in my two cents.

George Bush is an illiterate, lazy, empty headed moran who has singlehandedly disgraced our country throughout the world. He does not represent me or the flag of our country. He represents greedy corporate intetests and right wing religious nut cases. His daughters are empty headed druggies and his spouse should have tried out for a part in the film The Stepford Wives, she would have been cast.

Michael Moore is a patriot. John Kerry, though having the personality of a cantalope, is a far more intelligent, expereinced and thoughtful man.

James

greedy corprate interest? john kerry is worth more then him

and michael moore just wants attention

every one has there opinions but my sig explains why john kerry is so retarted

and would not help our country at all

Folks -- This could get increasingly ugly & I'd rather this not get personal. Let's try to keep this on the topic of scarring. Please feel free to discuss politics in The Lounge. smile.gif

I haven't had this problem, at least that I am aware of. Personally, I think that ones' attitude and level of self-esteem often has more to do with being able to land a job. I have worked several jobs since my acne scarred me, and the majority of them required me to be in the public eye. If YOU have a problem with your acne scarring and it affects your attitude toward landing the job, then yes this is a definite issue. If you strongly believe that someone has discriminated against you for this reason you might consider calling a lawyer and asking about it.

In the meantime, do your best to treat your scarring, and remember that it doesn't make you less of a human being. If you have the skills for a job and don't get the job, there might be more to the story than acne scarring. Just my thoughts.

I am still looking for a job now that I have graduated. However, the thought of the employers interviewing me and look at my red spots(not scars) made me don't even want to venture out to look for a job. I keep on giving excuses....

I know myself that I am confident. I don't shy away from people when talking but what if the employers take it as a sign of a lack of self-esteem and confidence? I hate to be misjudged like that...

~~ This is a good topic ~~

I can't find a way to accept my scars. I can't stand looking at them. I don't want people to see them.

I want to look normal, maybe cute. I want a guy to love me.

I'll never have anything, because I am scarred physically. The physical scars have caused me severe mental pain.

Sorry, just letting out my sorrow.

Someday :pray:

there is alot being said in the post, and i agree with most of it ... yes it is awkard when people stare on a bus or train etc or when relatives ask what happened to you...but at the same time its you that can direct attention away from that problem... as for the political side of rich and poor, as a final post (please no more ... go to lounge...) behind almost every rich is a robbery, and behind being poor is just being robbed. Sure you can get lucky and earn interest on property value or savings etc... and get a bit more rich, but people who are really rich will probably always be rich and the same goes for the poor.

As for US presidents, smear tactics, these people are just the rich representitives of the people that run the world....we all know Dr. Evil and Mini-me hold things down... :unsure:

as for looking for love and acceptance, I guess those of us who seek it should keep hope, since tomorrow is another day where anything can happen (sort of), and those of us who have it should embrace it and not take it for granted...

Things could be worse, but they arent so keep trying to make things better, on a long enough time line we will succeed.

Way to get the last word, Abdul!

I think I was dreaming about this topic last night. I woke up thinking about you not being able to find a job for some reason. I think maybe it has to do with the economy too. There are many unemployed people right now. Also, the political climate might have something to do with it...just a guess.

maybe, im just gonna keep tryin until uni starts again in september...have to have found something by then.