Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

After decades of suffering with oily skin & cystic acne... I have found my cure. Spironolactone. But I can't take it. It give me a horrible racy heart beat, itchiness & anxiety. My skin after 3 weeks is so smooth & peachy... I just want to touch myself all the time. I even lost a few pounds in water weight (it's a diuretic). But I am dreading morning I wake to cysts & oil as they will surely appear in a day or two b/c I had to stop taking it a few days ago. In my saddness... my wonderful Dr. told me to try Saw Palmetto Extract she said that it may work as well for me. I was so hopeful to have a natural alternative So I tried it. 3x 120mg pills per day. To my surprise, the racy heart seemed to cease yesterday. But it just couldn't be..... here it is again. Oh the humanity! Why???

I just want to cry with the injustice of it all... of being so close... yet so far.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom when it comes to these two beauties? The Sprio or Saw P? Obviously I suffer from hormonal (Testosterone driven) acne & I'm afraid my options are limited.

I am tempted to try BC, although... my wonderful husband had a vasectomy earlier this year so that I wouldn't have to be on prescription meds.

What to do people?? What to do?

It seems to me that anything hormonal can be indirectly balanced by a higher level of general health (Good diet, exercise, stress relief). You could test out diets such as the Paleolithic diet, from what I hear it would be very unlikely if you couldn't be clear with 4 months of that. Unfortunately it's hard to stick to. I don't do it at the moment because of money restraints, but if you have enough money to go Paleo then you will probably get clear as well as have other health benefits. If that's too much for you, you can always try eating a lot of Green Smoothies.

Edited by helliotion

Have you taken antibiotics before? i have the worst cystic acne ive ever seen its all over my face, ive been eating healthy and using apple cider vinegar which seems to be helping, maybe give it a try its cheap.

Have you taken antibiotics before? i have the worst cystic acne ive ever seen its all over my face, ive been eating healthy and using apple cider vinegar which seems to be helping, maybe give it a try its cheap.

Thanks for your thoughts... I have tried anitbiotics. I even used Accutane (successfully but not worth the side effects again) years ago. This stuff (Spiro) had the fastest most beautiful results I have ever seen.

I'm so happy to hear that you are having some success w/ the ACV. Is your acne hormonal?

It seems to me that anything hormonal can be indirectly balanced by a higher level of general health (Good diet, exercise, stress relief). You could test out diets such as the Paleolithic diet, from what I hear it would be very unlikely if you couldn't be clear with 4 months of that. Unfortunately it's hard to stick to. I don't do it at the moment because of money restraints, but if you have enough money to go Paleo then you will probably get clear as well as have other health benefits. If that's too much for you, you can always try eating a lot of Green Smoothies.

Thanks for your insight. I'm sure that a tighter diet couldn't hurt... but honestly, my diet is pretty darn good. I am heavy into health... Yoga, Spinning, my diet is full of veggies & healthy fats, low in processed food & dairy. I know that my issue is off the charts Testosterone & I'm afraid it can't be controlled w/ just diet :-(

i've got the same problem with spiro

i always thought it's just me who experiences these side effects since everyone else seemed to hav nothing except great skin =)

even from 25 mg i get heart racing, from 50 mg i get terribe anxiety and a feeling as if my body is electrically charged!!

another thing is that i breathe very hard, probably bc of the heart racing, and then my face gets red...

it's really terrible

i will try to change my mineral water though, i just discovered it contains 8 mg potassium per liter, which is pretty much.

some other ppl are on flutamide which allegedly doesnt hav spiro-like-SEs.

but u must see an endocrinologist to get it.

Edited by holloway
i've got the same problem with spiro

i always thought it's just me who experiences these side effects since everyone else seemed to hav nothing except great skin =)

even from 25 mg i get heart racing, from 50 mg i get terribe anxiety and a feeling as if my body is electrically charged!!

another thing is that i breathe very hard, probably bc of the heart racing, and then my face gets red...

it's really terrible

i will try to change my mineral water though, i just discovered it contains 8 mg potassium per liter, which is pretty much.

some other ppl are on flutamide which allegedly doesnt hav spiro-like-SEs.

but u must see an endocrinologist to get it.

Thanks Holloway!

I really appreciate your comment. You described my experience w/ Spiro perfectly. Although I was on 100mg... I'm off of it now, waiting for the symptoms to completely subside then I am going to try smaller doses. I am very hopeful, but also full of doubt :-(

Have you tried the Flutamide?

C

no, I've not tried Flutamide.

Anti - Em, who is also on this board, has.

I am on 25 mg now again for 3 days or so, and

I have some leg ache...

This is surely from some form of Hyperkalemia.

It's terrible that I react SO sensitive to spiro

shit

hows it going for u then?

I have some leg ache...

shit

And I am stopping. I regret ever going on antiandrogens. Starting with spiro, I started getting bad reflux that continued, and worsened, on flutamide. I have GERD. So, now I am on ANOTHER daily pill to offset the S/E from the spiro/flu. My hair is falling out like crazy. This also started on the spiro and continued on the flutamide. It's all over my walls, even. It has thinned out a lot, but no bald spots, just overall less volume. I don't even think my skin looks that good -- not for all the s/e's and for having to take it for the rest of my life....

Oh, I still get palpitations even on the flutamide. I also still get calf cramping, but not as bad as with spiro. I think it's a hormone thing. Either that or they deplete magnesium/calcium. I'm not popping more pills for that. :rolleyes:

Accutane was so much better, imo. I'd go back on it now if I wasn't about to get scar revision done. I had little to no s/e's from it.

Now I have to worry about breaking out horribly if I go off, because I know it will mess up my hormones when I stop.

I've been doing every other day all week. I don't even think I'll take it again today, even though I am supposed to, because I realllly want my stomach back. . I hope I can stop.

Oh, you need monthly labs for liver and other blood abnormalities that it can cause. I wouldn't care so much if my stomach didn't kill me and my skin was flawless.

Edited by Anti - Em

Oh boy what a hand we have been delt eh?

Well, I sure appreciate your feedback & stories... I am taking everything into consideration.

Right now I am off of everything & just waiting for the symptoms to start creeping back.

I'll let you know for sure if anything ever works for me!!!

I have some leg ache...

shit

And I am stopping. I regret ever going on antiandrogens. Starting with spiro, I started getting bad reflux that continued, and worsened, on flutamide. I have GERD. So, now I am on ANOTHER daily pill to offset the S/E from the spiro/flu. My hair is falling out like crazy. This also started on the spiro and continued on the flutamide. It's all over my walls, even. It has thinned out a lot, but no bald spots, just overall less volume. I don't even think my skin looks that good -- not for all the s/e's and for having to take it for the rest of my life....

Oh, I still get palpitations even on the flutamide. I also still get calf cramping, but not as bad as with spiro. I think it's a hormone thing. Either that or they deplete magnesium/calcium. I'm not popping more pills for that. :rolleyes:

Accutane was so much better, imo. I'd go back on it now if I wasn't about to get scar revision done. I had little to no s/e's from it.

Now I have to worry about breaking out horribly if I go off, because I know it will mess up my hormones when I stop.

I've been doing every other day all week. I don't even think I'll take it again today, even though I am supposed to, because I realllly want my stomach back. . I hope I can stop.

Oh, you need monthly labs for liver and other blood abnormalities that it can cause. I wouldn't care so much if my stomach didn't kill me and my skin was flawless.

Oh boy what a hand we have been delt eh?

Well, I sure appreciate your feedback & stories... I am taking everything into consideration.

Right now I am off of everything & just waiting for the symptoms to start creeping back.

I'll let you know for sure if anything ever works for me!!!

I have some leg ache...

shit

yeah, it really sucks. I'm waiting to breakout too. I'll probably take it tomorrow, which would be every 2 days. I want to see if my stomach gets better. I wouldn't be opposed to taking it a few times a week as long as my acid reflux goes away.

Let me know if you get rx'd flute.

Edited by Anti - Em