Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DaveM

Minocycline + Differin Log

Ok people this is the last step I am taking before accutane. I hope I don't have to go on tane because I am really scared of the side effects (don't tell me they aren't that bad, I know what they are and the % likelyhood of getting them).

My new regimen is as follows:

100mg Minocycyline Morning and Night (200mg a day).

Topical Differin (adapalene) gel before bed.

Moisturise and wash face with loreal pure zone in morning.

Thats it. I'm following the K.I.S.S (keep it simple, stupid) philosophy here. My last regimen (it's on here somewhere) wasn't working, I have just had breakout after breakout and my skin is dying from the BP (dry and red). The BP also makes the red marks hang around longer which is crap. It also pissed me off because it was really intrusive and I had to go out of my way to do it.

So yeah, I am gonna do this for a bit over a month. If I don't see any results I will stop the bullcrap and take a risk with accutane. I am going to apply the differin for the first time tonight before bed. I'll do like a weekly progress report.

I kind of feel like shit (in a mental sense) polluting my body with all these drugs just to have clear skin, and they weren't even working.

Oh well, wish me luck people, I'm going to need it. :pray:

Hi, i'm thinking about doing the same stuff.

The bp doesnt work for me. I get some results with a diet+supplements, but i'm not clear at all. So, maybe i'll give differin (+antibiotics) a chance. Let me know how things go. What kind of acne do you have (mild/moderate?).

I have a lot of little whiteheads which pop up quickly, especially around my mouth.

Hey torbosk...

I've tried the diet/supplements route before (zinc + b5) and to be quite honest it did SFA for me.

I have been on doxycycline for about 9 weeks and it cleared me up a fair bit, especially on my back. I've found that for antibiotics to be effective you need to have a high dosage - I was on 100mg but after upping to 200mg I have noticed a difference.

I have moderate acne, with the occasional cyst here and there (I mostly get pustules). I have noticed a marked decrease in acne since going on doxy, but the Benzoyl peroxide was just making the red marks hang around forever.

What I have noticed is that my bacne is like completely gone which is damn good! The red marks from it are bloody chronic though! ahhh!!!

Yeah, and I also do get a lot of whiteheads on the chin area near the corners of my mouth (like 20 of them!) but its hard to see them unless I stick my tongue up against it hehe.

Anyway, hows that for a reply when I'm drunk (had a few too many heh).

OK, well so far I have noticed that my face is peeling like theres no tomorrow... It isn't irritated at all though so I think it's a good thing. I have noticed a slight increase in my active acne, but I guess thats just part of the initial breakout on differin. They are all really small pimples so yeah. Also none are inflamed...

hey i've just started a similair regime to you to! I'm on 250mg of oxytetracycline in the morning and 250mg at night as well. At night I apply differin gel. In the morning i'm putting on 2.5% BP. I've been doing it for a week and a half now and havent had any major outbreaks so far. I've just had two very small pustules and 2 or 3 tiny whiteheads. I've had a few small red bumps come up but hopefully they wont develop any further. I'm seeing a derm in a few months and if this hasnt been successful, hopefully i'll be able to give roaccutane a chance

Ok the peeling has mostly subsided today...

I think my face is starting to thank me for stopping BP hehe smile.gif

End of Week 1

Well I think differin is starting to bring the previously unseen acne to the surface. My face has quite a few bumps on it. So far no real improvement.

My bacne though, which was completely insane before antibiotics is now gone. There are a hella lott of red marks there though but what can you do hey? I just hope the antibiotics start to work on my face soon enough...

HEY good luck with taking Minocyclin!!! I took it about two years ago, and it was the best stuff i've EVER used. It cleared me up 100% for a whole year, and it didn't have the nasty side effects as tetracyclin did (nausea, dizzy). I absolutely loved this pill, I only wish my body didn't become immune to it. sad.gif

I have a really good feeling that Minocyclin is gonna work for you, Gettingthere!!! I used differin before too - and although it didn't clear me up (probbaly because i was using it with tetracyclin), it was gentle on my skin and didn't smell. Your on a very good regimine, if you ask me. smile.gif

GOOD LUCK!!!

Hey I have a silly question for whomever - what exactly are whiteheads? Are they little tiny pimples that have no color, or are they the zits that get filled with pus and they have a little white tip (that you can pop!) bb_eusa_shhh.gif

Number1nerd, to answer your question (I only found this out a little while ago too):

Whiteheads are the small little bumps you can hardly see. They are slightly raised and have a slightly lighter (really slighty) pigment than the skin. They dont have redness or swelling and it's hard to pop them.

The poppable ones, that are bigger and have redness around them are called pustules (yeah even the name is disgusting).

Week 2

Well today is actually pretty good....

I have like 4 active pustules on my face, but the rest is healing up pretty good. My skin is gradually getting it's smoothness back I think, so yeah it is not too bad actually.

Week 3

Cant believe that it is 3 weeks already :|

Anyways, I am making pretty good progress with my regimen, and have stuck with it steadfastly..

Today my acne is pretty good, its not very visible and I dont have too many large zits. So yeah all up good.

Hey torbosk,

at the moment im not doing too bad actually...

i have a few active zits but the rest of my face is looking pretty good - bar my forehead, i had a breakout there but it is almost gone at the moment.

I actually am not using BP, just mino, differin and salicylic acid.

You are on a great regieme i was on it a month ago and it cleared my up 95%.

I took 200mg of mino and washed 3 times a day. It did work well but i knew that when school started there was no way i could wash in the middle of the day as well i would eventually get imune to the mino. So i took the plunge and went on the accutane. So far its not killing me and i am pretty sure i will be ok, hopefully i am am and hopefully i am clear or mostly clear for the rest of my life.

Don't worry abt the accutance too much, its not that bad. (i think, keep an eye on my accutane log)

Hi gettingthere,

you said you're using L'oreol pure zone products.

I'm quite interested in this.

How are they working for you??????

I'm especially interested in the moisturizer,

how are your experiences with it???