Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pinkstarlett

Things I've learned from Retin A

I've been on Retin-A (micro) for Almost two months....it's been a tough road a times but I think it will be worth it in the long run. I've seen many people on this board upset with it's effects or giving it negative reviews. I figured I'd compile a list of things I've discovered throughout my journey that may help someone considering starting retinoid treatment or considering giving up.

1. The most important thing is that your skin will get worse before it gets better, even if you have used other retinoids in the past. I figured i would not experience an initial breakout because I have used both tazorac and epiduo in the past. My dermotologist did not even explain the intial breakout to me, good thing I was somewhat prepared from browsing these boards.

2. 3 months/12 weeks is not a magic number, it may take you a lot longer to get desired results.

3. Using another topical (I am on Duac) that contains benzoyl peroxide or an antibiotic is helpful and perhaps a lifesaver throughout the intial breakout.

4. Moisturize! If your skin is peeling you are either still getting acclimated to retinoids, applying to much product or not moisturizing enough (or properly). If you still find you are peeling to much perhaps consider a lower strength.

5. DO not pick at your skin! I still struggle with this daily. Believe me the peeling off layers of skin and the red marks that occur look far worse than any pimple. They are also extremely difficult to cover with make-up.

6. Just when you think you are over the intial breakout, you may breakout again. Patience is key.

Hope this list helps! Feel free to add on!

I've been on retin-a micro for a little over two months, I've improved drastically but just broke out. I was sick over the weekend which might have something to do with it, but anyways is this normal?? I thought that everything was looking up, and I just dont have time in my life for acne right now

I think this is normal.....I've been on it for about 2 months also and i'm still breaking out a bit although small whiteheads and blackheads as opposed to larger pimples. When I was on tazorac I cleared up in about a month, unfortunatley it stopped working after a few years.....

Well I've stopped using all those acne face washes that I get suckered into buying everytime I go into target or walgreens..... on my derms advice, currently I'm washing and moisturizing with cetaphil. I think using cetaphil really has decreased dryness and flakes. I've also used purpose in the past and think it's a great cleanser.

Edited by pinkstarlett