Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thebluhope

Best Shampoo

What's the best shampoo to use? Especialy for those of us prone to acne/flaky skin/dandruff. I have used everything from that new Fructus stuff (caused itchy hair), baby shampoo (did nothing), to normal shampoo (still had flaky head).

What have you guys used and what successs have you had with it

for mild dandruff I use good old head'n shoulders, however for healthy shiny hair, nothing beats American Crew products

Dove made my head itchy, which is too bad because it was a great shampoo. Pantene caused breakouts on my back, so I don't recommend using Pantene either. I'm still in search of a good shampoo as well. I was thinking of buying Neutrogena shampoos, since I hear they work well.

When I had terrible dandruff, I used Head and Shoulders Intensive Treatment (I think that's the name), it came in a blue bottle, and it fixed the dandruff problem. For more seroius cases, there's Nizoral (sp?) in over-the-counter and also perscription strengths. The problem is, Dandruff shampoos thin your hair, so I use Head and Shoulders once a week if not less. The rest of the time I use Crew, because it's good for your hair, and makes it look great.

Hmmm ... don't know if it helps with dandruff, but I've been pretty happy with Paul Mitchell's Tea Tree shampoo and conditioner. They also have an intense scalp treatment that you leave in for a few minutes ... but I'm not sure if it helps with dandruff or what

They now connect a lot of dandruff with a scalp fungus. So shampoos containing ketoconazole (an anti fungal agent) are pretty effective. (Nizoral is one brand name) Manuka oil/products are highly effective against fungus so they probably work pretty well...Tea Tree Oil to a lesser extent. An old trick is washing your hair with Apple Cider Vinegar...the acidity helps rebalance your scalp ph. I have never done it...but I imagine it is effective but smelly.

Personally I find that my dry scalp goes away if I use a very moisturising shampoo...I use Kerastase atm (bloody expensive), I have used Treseme Hydrology in the past which also nailed the problem. Good luck.