Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why ?

There's an interesting short video of one of Loren Cordain's acne lectures, may be on youtube, where he describes how the Eskimo population, in one generation, went from having no history of acne to severe breakouts. Coincidently, or not, this was around the time they were Westernised.

Edited by captainsunshine

I think it's a combination of more or less all factors you brought up but I think the major one is diet, because so many of us have cleared up after we started eating paleo/primal.

I know this has been talked about many times before but what if lack of exposure to parasites is the reason why we are now seeing so much acne in the "developed" world.

It could be a factor, but I doubt it's the reason, as there is no one reason. It's diet and lifestyle habits like physical activity, light exposure, sleep, stress, etc. And a bit of genetics in some cases, but obviously not all as shown by the increases in acne, diabetes and other conditions when diet and lifestyles change.

Diet and genetics and lifestlye- they don't do anything to aggravate acne, and they are not predisposed to it anyways, therefore they do not suffer from acne.

*quote removed at poster's request*

Metformin is an anti-androgen. It reduces testosterone. It also lowers blood glucose. Type 2 is not reversed, the blood sugars are merely controlled.

You just contradicted what you said above. ;)

Metformin FURTHER reduces testosterone.

And again, diabetes can never be reversed, only controlled.

You said that problems may be caused by low testosterone. Ok, sure, that's definitely possible. :)

But then you said that the low testosterone can be treated with glucophage. It cannot; glucophage FURTHER lowers testosterone.

It is simply a fact that diabetes cannot be reversed. It can only be controlled. The only way to reverse diabetes is to do a pancreas transplant for a type 1 diabetic only. Those persons do not produce enough insulin on their own. The new pancreas will do it for them.

A pancreas transplant would do very little if anything for a type 2 diabetic as they already produce insulin, their bodies simply don't use it appropriately.

What does all this diabetes talk have to do with sebum production? Well, I like to look at all cases where sebum is produced and pcos was one of them.

umm, all of us talk about diabetes, pcos and other issues involving hormones screwed up by diet and lifestyle. Have for years. It's not your discovery.

In fact, PCOS very clearly links acne and diabetes/insulin resistance together.

By the way, I think next to diet physical exercise is the biggest factor. I'm not saying you'll cure your acne by working out, but I think it can contribute to better skin as it contributes to overall health. The fact that girls in nomadic groups menstruate around something like 19 years of age while girls nowadays sometimes 11 really says a lot. And this major difference has been attributed to nomadic vs extremely sedentary lifestyle.

By the way, I think next to diet physical exercise is the biggest factor. I'm not saying you'll cure your acne by working out, but I think it can contribute to better skin as it contributes to overall health. The fact that girls in nomadic groups menstruate around something like 19 years of age while girls nowadays sometimes 11 really says a lot. And this major difference has been attributed to nomadic vs extremely sedentary lifestyle.

Good point. I think diet may play a role too. I've heard of vegans losing their menstrual cycle.

I've read all these posts, some intriguing things pointed out. I also learned some new things, like the difference between type 1 and 2 diabetes. Don't ask me why I didn't know that before. :eh:

I've been really pondering the physical activity factor a lot lately. Think about how much work it takes for those with little technology to prepare a single meal, whereas we just go to the fridge and stick it on the stove. Maybe a little chopping, stirring, whatever. But still.

And what about the average American? Drive up to the second window to get more calories than the average indigenous person eats in a day. Perform the whole task sitting down.

This is why exercise/physical activity is so important. The choice between the elevator and the stairs. It's not just that it helps get rid of toxins, or brings circulation to the skin. It's not just that it improves digestion and lymph flow.

Our bodies were made to burn calories. We are machines, made to work, to do, to walk, run, and hunt. We were made to dance and MOVE and yet we just don't. Not as much as we should. Not even close.

What happens when you overstuff a coal furnace? Fill it up so fast it can't burn its contents?

It

Goes

Out.

So yeah, this might be a factor.

I think pollution has a lot to do with it!

I did my gap year in South Africa, and for a lot of my time there I was out in game reserves, and basically just fresh air, over all this time my skin was almost perfectly clear.

When I got back I got pretty ill, my doctor said it was e number withdrawel (no joke, they have e numbers in everything!) but I also noticed that for the first month or so I found really hard to breathe in my city's centre. I just think the way we live now isn't natural, and our bodies aren't built to deal with it.

*Also just to add an edit in, the reason that some vegans don't have their periods is most likely to do with their weights, a lot of vegans eat no processed food, and forget that they also need to make sure they are getting the same amount of calories, once you fall below a certain weight, your body realises that you wont be able to cope with child birth and your periods stop :) A vegan diet shouldnt alter your menstrual period normally.

Edited by ruby_red

Thanks for sharing that story ruby, VERY INTERESTING stuff. One thing came to my mind though: What did you eat out there? Couldn't it have been diet related (too)?

Edited by dirtbomb

Yeah I think it could have been diet related as well, since I was eating a fair amount of fresh fruit and veg, that said though, I am Vegetarian and tend to eat that sort of stuff anyway. I don't think my diet significantly changed while I was out there, and like I said, all of that has to be outweighed by the fact that all their sweets etc are like 300 times worse for you! (And I ate more of them because they're tastier!)

I'll clarify what I was implying regarding the exercise.

Here it is, plain and simple:

Food=Fuel

Physical Activity=Burns Fuel

I'm suggesting the link between how many calories we take in and how many we burn. Indigenous peoples eat less, and do more. Many people on these boards have success with calorie restriction, and/or exercise.

Physical Activity does not necessarily mean exercise. It means any time you're not sitting on your ass or sleeping. When you're up moving around, cleaning your house, walking to work, gardening, etc. So many of us eat more than our bodies intend and don't burn off the calories, because our lifestyles are so much, well, easier! It's not necessary for us to go out and hunt our food, skin it, gut it, cook it...We just stick it on the stove or in the microwave.

I had a similar experience as Ruby, where I was on vacation in a mountainous area in Germany. We were constantly walking up and down slopes and never stopped moving it seemed. It was great. I didn't eat any less than normal there and certainly not as healthy (bread and cheese were staples) and yet I cleared up 90% in a matter of four days.

Sun+Activity=Clearer skin.

Plain and simple.