Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The only reason i'm so stressed about my acne is because i think i may be developing scars. It's so depressing. It's like...there's no hope because once(if ever) my acne clears there will be nothing to look forward to but a bunch of scars. I cry a lot. I feel sorry for my boyfriend. He wishes he could help me but there's nothing he can do. Everything sucks. Sorry to be so depressed. I can't help it. It seems like there will never be any progress for me as it has been six weeks on my meds and they have done nothing but make my condition worse. I have moderate acne by the way. Sorry to bug you all. Just wanted to get all of this out.

Another thing, why is that clear-skinned people always tell you that it's no big deal? I just want to hurt them. They basically tell you to just get over it and that's it. That's not the kind of cheering up that helps.

I'm sorry to hear that noggin - what medication are you on? Perhaps it's time to try something different. It's tough, and it takes a while, but it's that old cliched one-step-at-a-time deal. I always thought I was lucky because I didn't think I had many scars...so I waited for the day when acne would go away. I finally have acne under control, and I'm finding all these scars that I never knew I had! I was too obsessed on getting rid of pimples that I didn't realize there would be more to deal with later (scars).

The good news is that we have found this forum, and there are SO many people in the same boat that are trying out new things and reporting on them. So it's not as hopeless as it seems...there are many options to try minimizing them. I am currently trying a non-ablative laser for my rolling scars - so far there seems to be minimal effect - in a few months I think I'll be on the TCA band wagon.

Still...in my mind having acne was worse than the scars, so I am thankful that I'm closer to being clear. Don't lose hope...get your acne under control...be sure not to pick! Picking seems to lead to more scars!

I know! I thought it was just me! Sometimes I think my skin looks decent and I'm all happy...and someone has to ruin it by telling me that my skin is crap. When my skin's at its worst, it seems that people refrain from saying anything mean about it...maybe they feel sorry for me? So sad! sad.gif

that's the thing. i never pick at my face. i don't even touch it. i'm sure i can still get scars though.

i agree with you. acne is an awful disease, ailment, misfortune... what ever you wish to call it. but, the way i see it is that nothing can ruin your life unless you allow it to. people struggle mentally and physically every day. the key is that you can't let it get you down. you can't worry about what other people are going to say. you have to live each day and try to enjoy it as much as possible. we only live once, well, depending on what you believe, and i think you should make the best of what you DO have, not dwell on the things you don't have.

really, i have both acne AND muscular dystrophy. and there are many things worse than both. you just have to enjoy life. you just have to live.

i don't want to come off as patronizing or condescending... i hope i don't. mainly, i hope things get bettr for you. and try hard not to let this ruin the life you've been given. hope you're well.

People tell you it's not a big deal because they don't understand the effects of it.

However I am gradually starting to accept that my acne is a part of me and that it is not going to go away without a fight. When my acne was at it's worst (like 4-5 months ago), and I am talking cysts here, for some reason I never used to let it get me down. As a result I had a normal relationship with a very beautiful girl. I know it sounds kinda cliche, but she was nice enough to see past my acne and see the real me.

Recently though (actually after I started treating it) I have noticed that I am more and more depressed about it.

What I have found is that if you don't focus on it as much and act as YOU around other people it wont affect you nearly as badly as if you get depressed from it. In a way it makes people focus more on your personality, rather than your looks. I know this is a very optimistic outlook but in the end it comes down to two things:

1) You have acne

2) You have to deal with it.

You can deal with it by being depressed (as I have done in the recent past) OR you can deal with it by being optimistic and just being you. These are your options, take either one, but I can tell you now that being optimistic is FAR more constructive that being depressed. I have tried both and I know which I prefer.

What do you mean your bf cant help? ofcourse he can, beleive me I have worse shit going on in my life than any teenager should have to go through, and its hard as fuck for me, and sure, i do get depressed from time to time. But luckily I have a friend that will always be there for me im not gonna name name's because it will just draw more attention to us lol. But just let him know what you are going through and just have him be there for you to talk. Always remember god wouldnt be having you go through all this if it didnt serve a purpse. when life gives you lemons, make lemonade is what I say. Cheer up there are better days ahead.

noggin-turn that sad.gif upside down! smile.gif

Dear Noggin,

I am so sorry to hear about your sadness, I can sympathise with you as being spotty is bad enough but the scarring is equally depressing. To me when I look in the mirror, spots are the first thing I see and they look hideous and then I inspect the scarring as well which is a constant reminder of past horrors. But when I talk to other people saying I am now on medication for my spots, they usually say 'what spots, I've never seen you with any!' I don't think people on the whole notice. People are generally consumed in themselves too much to notice or worry about anyone else's spots.

Take care,

G.P.

But when I talk to other people saying I am now on medication for my spots, they usually say 'what spots, I've never seen you with any!' I don't think people on the whole notice.

A true Cynic you are! Valid point though. But I still maintain the vast majority of people are too tied up in how they look that they wouldn't pay much attention to somebody else's problems. Although I think if you had a big pimple on your nose that it would be hard to focus anywhere else really.

Noggin, be careful not to push your boyfriend away, grouchiness and depression may put him off more than the spots!

I say this when I do the exact same thing myself and can't break the habit.

Take care,

G.P.

Acne does ruin lives. I mean i have friends who got problems (one of them is 18, has a baby, bills up to his neck etc) but at least he can fucking face his problems.

He can get up and feel like hes actually in control of his fucked up situation.

In our cases we can just keep popping pills and piling on the cremes in hopes of finding some kind of cure but we are still stuck indoors like some kind of fucking recluses.