Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
smstrav

Never ending scar on cheek

What's up fellas -

First post here. Anyway, for the past 2 years I've had a nasty scar on my cheek. I think it started from a cyst (been so long I don't even remember how it got there). Since I got it...it has been an eternal process of scabbing, falling off, and scabbing again. Over time, the scar has gotten big and ugly. My derm put me on accutane for this reason and while my acne has gotten so much better, the scar has remained the same. I've researched the boards and found no description of anything similar. It's like a scab scar. In addition to accutane, I use proactiv to exfoliate the skin and the toner to smooth it out. Any clues as to what exactly this is would be greatly appreciated, as well as info on how to get rid of the thing. My derm told me I would probably have to get it cut out by a plastic surgeon, but I don't want a scar on my face if there is another way to remove it. I just began using Mederma, but remain skeptical.

By the way, another derm told me plastic surgery might not even help...the idiot wanted me to leave it on my face for the rest of my life. Some derms are clueless...people who read these boards could be more knowledgeable than them.

THanks for the help,

-SS

My advice is to get as many opinions from well-respected dermatological surgeons as possible.

I'm curious as to why it stays scabbed?? That is very odd :think: Maybe you shouldn't exfoliate and see what happens.

Just make sure you don't do any strong peels if you are on accutane. I've heard a couple horror stories. :-(

Is the scar pitted? Raised? Neither?

Sounds like a Hypertrophic, above the skin.

I have the exact same thing, and accutane didn't make it go away.. because its a scar. Its red and looks like a cyst.

Hmm. :think: I honestly have no idea what it is, but I can understand why you would be concerned about it. I'd probably get several opinions on what it is and what might be done about it.