Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
atf487

Getting Accutane

It's less of a "should I go" but more of how to obtain it.

My family does have insurance, so I think the cost would be covered, or atleast a co-pay that we could afford. Thing is, I'm not too sure on how I would get it. I told the doctor the last time I went that I just wanted any trace of it gone, and that I'd like to use the strongest thing. He just said that I didn't need it and gave me more of the same prescriptions (benzaclin and tetracycline)

I've gotten worse, though, and I just want to call the doctor up and ask him to prescribe it for me. I'm not too sure on the preparations needed for the drug, though (I've read someone that needed blood tests?!?!?). Could anyone tell me what they needed to get it?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go crazy if I don't get my face cleared up.

you do need blood work done before going on accutane and while you are on it to make sure your liver is functioning properly, your insurance will cover those. i had the same problem with obtaining accutane but found a doctor that prescribed it for me finally. i think i had even more trouble because i am female <_< my face is the worst it's ever been, and i already am going crazy. maybe if you tell your doc how bad it makes you feel they will prescribe it for you. i wish u luck

Heh, thanks. I'llhopefully schedule an appointment by the end of the summer. How long have you been on it?

actually, i'm waiting on my doctor to tell me if i am able to get the prescription for free. i'm going for my bloodwork saturday morning. i don't have insurance right now so wish me the best. thanks

Tell your Derm. that you are severely mentally stressed out about your acne. I had the same problem 14 years ago. I was 15 and my derm. didn't think my acne was bad enough, and he thought I was too young for accutane. He precribed everything else for me....nothing worked. After about 9 months (and lots of scarring) I bawled and balwed to him. Finally he let me on it. If he'd have listened to me sooner...I wouldn't have all the scarring I now have. So keep at it....crying helps:)

Monthly blood work isnt required anymore I dont think. I live in Kansas City, and I have only had to get blood work done once to make sure I could go on accutane. My derm said I wont need to have my blood taken again. woo.

All I had todo was ask to be put on it, my acne had gotten a lot worse this past year since winter.

Tell your Derm. that you are severely mentally stressed out about your acne.  I had the same problem 14 years ago.  I was 15 and my derm. didn't think my acne was bad enough, and he thought I was too young for accutane.  He precribed everything else for me....nothing worked.  After about 9 months (and lots of scarring) I bawled and balwed to him.  Finally he let me on it.  If he'd have listened to me sooner...I wouldn't have all the scarring I now have.  So keep at it....crying helps:)