Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
a529612

Disinfectant: Hydrogen Peroxide vs Alcohol

Why is 3% hydrogen peroxide preferred over rubbing alcohol (70% or 90% concentration) for disinfecting the area after squeezing?

Something to think about:

hydrogen peroxide. There is a great deal of current research showing that hydrogen peroxide is problematic as a topical disinfectant because it can greatly reduce the production of healthy new skin cells (Source: Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, September 2001, pages 675–687). Hydrogen peroxide is also a significant oxidizing agent, meaning that it generates free-radical damage. While it can function as a disinfectant, the cumulative problems that can stem from impacting the skin with a substance that is known to generate free-radical damage, impair the skin's healing process, cause cellular destruction, and reduce optimal cell functioning are serious enough so that it is better to avoid its use (Sources: Carcinogenesis, March 2002, pages 469–475; and Anticancer Research, July-August 2001, pages 2719–2724). See free-radical damage.

alcohol. A group of organic compounds that have a vast range of forms and uses in cosmetics. In some benign forms they are glycols used as humectants that help deliver ingredients into skin. When fats and oils (See fatty acid) are chemically reduced, they become a group of less-dense alcohols called fatty alcohols that can have emollient properties or can become detergent cleansing agents. When alcohols have low molecular weights they can be drying and irritating. The alcohols to be concerned about in skin-care products are ethanol, denatured alcohol, ethyl alcohol, methanol, benzyl alcohol, isopropyl, and SD alcohol, which can be extremely drying and irritating to skin (Sources: "Skin Careâ€â€From the Inside Out and Outside In," Tufts Daily, April 1, 2002; eMedicine Journal, May 8, 2002, volume 3, number 5, www.emedicine.com; Cutis, February 2001, pages 25–27; and Contact Dermatitis, January 1996, pages 12–16).

Source: www.cosmeticscop.com

i find that dabbing hydrogen peroxide on popped pimples heals them a lot faster, and with no scarring.

I find that i can never squeeze out all the pus from a pimple, so i use peroxide to kill the germs that are supposedly causing the pimples to grow.