Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi there, I'm Zeru, nice to meet you. c:

I've had acne since I was about ten years old. From a very young age up (until about seventh grade), I wore my hair in the same way: very long, with bangs. I still remember my first pimple, weirdly enough--my skin was totally clear except for one pimple on my forehead. Being a ten year old girl, I was morbidly embarrassed. And the solution, of course, was to hide up this pimple with those lifelong bangs I always had.

Within a year or so, I had a veritable connect-the-dots pattern on my forehead. My acne there was incredibly severe. Fortunately, a dermatologist got me on medication that controlled my acne pretty well (and, eventually, I grew my little-girl bangs out). Then the medications prescribed to me stopped working, and nothing ever seemed to replace them, no matter how many differently colored pills I was given. I've tried at least four to five oral medications and several topical ones, including Differin (worked well for a while) and Epiduo.

Since I gave up on the last one, I've tried my own thing, especially ProActiv, which I started around the time I found this site. I did try making a log out of it, which concluded with a description of me lying on my floor in the fetal position because my face hurt so badly, and quickly petered out.

I gave it a break for a while--did nothing to my skin during finals, in part because of the recent suicide attempt of a family member, and then went on to work at a summer camp, teaching horseback riding lessons. I barely had time to throw on clothing in the morning and take a five minute shower at night, much less partake in skin care and makeup.

And now I'm here. I found myself suddenly possessed by the urge to fix my skin, and went out and bought products (a 10% benzoyl peroxide cleanser, a foaming facial wash that I didn't read the labels carefully enough on, a spot treatment). They succeeded in drying out my skin and making me break out more. At this point, I'm tired of buying products that just don't work. Benzoyl peroxide and all that aren't going to help.

I have moderate to severe acne, with some whiteheads, and many papules and pustules. No blackheads, and I'm not sure if any of my acne has been nodular? I can't remember what the derm said. Maybe I'll post a picture without makeup. ;A;

I've found two methods that are relatively cheap, and have different reasons for working than the products that keep failing me. These two methods are urine therapy (UT) and baking soda. To say the least, I'm going to give baking soda a try because, well, I doubt my boyfriend would appreciate my pee-face.

I've also decided to start taking vitamins. I purchased a bottle of Zinc and two regrettably large bottles of Omega 3. Upon taking out one of the pills this morning, I discovered that each individual pill is longer than the first digit on my finger. Staring with horror, I also noticed that the vitamins contain gelatin. Being that I am a vegetarian (fish excluded), I don't usually eat gelatin. The Omega 3 pills have a stay for now until I find out whether or not the gelatin is made from fish.

I am still using a little salicylic acid, I guess, even though I don't think it's effective--I have new Almay foundation and concealer containing salicylic acid, as well as the foaming facial wash that I'm still using to clean out my pores.

And my moisturizers are both ProActiv, because I liked them--one is green tea, the one I use in the morning and for makeup, and one is the other moisturizer (I'll get you the label name when I remember? Will edit.)

Here's my routine.

Morning - take Zinc with a large meal, moisturize, and do my makeup.

Evening - Remove makeup, facial wash, baking soda, and moisturize.

I'm still figuring out that baking soda thing.

I have sort of started it. Last night, I made a three tbsp to one tbsp mix. It had the consistency of damp sugar and after two minutes sitting on my face gave me some nice burns that seem to have largely disappeared thanks to moisturizer. However, it DID make a difference for the red marks by my hairline, which is why I"m trying again. This time, I'll dilute it more and see how it goes--I might use it more like a scrub or cleanser if leaving it on for a few minutes is going to get me a bad reaction like this. Again, I'll update when I find a good proportion.

soooo yeah. :D PREPARE ACCORDINGLY, ACNE.

Horse riding is fun... my husband is teaching me right now :-) Its very relaxing to be out in nature riding nature.

You can get omega 3 from chewing and eating flaxseed.

May I ask your age, and do you think that your acne is hormonal?

I love horseback riding. c: The weird thing is that I barely ride, but, yeah...teaching lessons, I guess? It was weird.

Ooh, I'm sixteen. Just realized I forgot to put that in. And I do think it's hormonal; I've had dietary changes, the climate here changes regularly, I've lived in different places, and nothing's really changed. It fits; I did start puberty relatively early, so breaking out at ten makes sense. My skin can also be a little sensitive ( :rolleyes: ), but I imagine it's largely hormonal.

And flaxseed...that actually sounds like a good idea. o-o

Edited by Zeru

I love horseback riding. c: The weird thing is that I barely ride, but, yeah...teaching lessons, I guess? It was weird.

Ooh, I'm sixteen. Just realized I forgot to put that in. And I do think it's hormonal; I've had dietary changes, the climate here changes regularly, I've lived in different places, and nothing's really changed. It fits; I did start puberty relatively early, so breaking out at ten makes sense. My skin can also be a little sensitive ( :rolleyes: ), but I imagine it's largely hormonal.

And flaxseed...that actually sounds like a good idea. o-o

Hormones stink!

I have been very satisfied with using a wild yam oil for my hormonal acne. It's really weird, I really didn't think it would work, but I haven't had a hormonal breakout since I started using it a few months ago....

Hormones stink!

I have been very satisfied with using a wild yam oil for my hormonal acne. It's really weird, I really didn't think it would work, but I haven't had a hormonal breakout since I started using it a few months ago....

True facts, man. D:

Wild yam oil? That sounds weird, but kinda cool. Not the kind of thing you can pick up at the drug store, though. I don't have a Paypal, so I'm trying to stay away from obscure stuff. ;A; I'm hoping the things I *can* get work.

Hormones stink!

True facts, man. D:

Wild yam oil? That sounds weird, but kinda cool. Not the kind of thing you can pick up at the drug store, though. I don't have a Paypal, so I'm trying to stay away from obscure stuff. ;A; I'm hoping the things I *can* get work.

Ya, I actually made it myself (got the ingredients at the health food store). You can find a progesterone cream with wild yam at any health food store, but I just wanted to try the wild yam by it's self, plus it was tons cheaper!

Where do you live?

Hormones stink!

True facts, man. D:

Ya, I actually made it myself (got the ingredients at the health food store). You can find a progesterone cream with wild yam at any health food store, but I just wanted to try the wild yam by it's self, plus it was tons cheaper!

Where do you live?

Seriously? How'd you make it, that's cool. :D

I live in New England. :3

kayyyy, so I've decided to amend the baking soda to every other day. I didn't do it last night, but I will be tonight. I've been with my best friend since yesterday so I haven't paid as much attention to my skin as I should have.

I'll let you guys know how it goes. C:

My skin's been a little flaky, which is probably my fault for inconsistency with products...moisturizing like whoaaa. <3

I passed by a Bare Escentuals store in the mall with my BFF and two other girls and it looked neato. If I get tired of my current foundation, I might take a look.

It turns out Zinc makes me a little nauseous, but that's okay, I guess. Just making sure to have a full stomach and all that.

Hormones stink!

True facts, man. D:

Where do you live?

Wild yam root is an herb. I purchased 2 oz of dried wild yam root (it looked like little pebbles, I really thought it wouldn't do anything). Then I put it in a cobalt blue glass jar with 8 oz grapeseed oil, and agitated the mix once a day for two weeks...

I rub a half-dime sized amount of the oil on my chest twice a day... Crazy hugh?

Hormones stink!

True facts, man. D:

Where do you live?

Wild yam root is an herb. I purchased 2 oz of dried wild yam root (it looked like little pebbles, I really thought it wouldn't do anything). Then I put it in a cobalt blue glass jar with 8 oz grapeseed oil, and agitated the mix once a day for two weeks...

I rub a half-dime sized amount of the oil on my chest twice a day... Crazy hugh?

That's crazy! I've never even heard of it, in all my acne-related stuff. D: Where'd you get the root? JW.

So, updates! :D

I used the baking soda as a a scrub on my face and back and as spot treatment that I left on for a while (only on my face). A few of my zits hve shrunk a little, but, again, my largest results are on the red spots. I guess that kind of makes sense, because it IS about sloughing off a layer of skin cells, not actually getting into pores or anything. Two biggg lesions on my shoulder area have shrunk, too. It's done nothing for my one lone nodule. :rollseyes: I've decided to call it Frank in this blog, because, hell, I feel like it's never going to go away and we might as well be on first name basis. I've been moisturizing a lot and I think it helps.

ummm, that's all I have to say. :D I think maybe I'll go back to using it daily and just moisturizing a lot. Seems to be working for me.

Hormones stink!

True facts, man. D:

Where do you live?

That's crazy! I've never even heard of it, in all my acne-related stuff. D: Where'd you get the root? JW.

I could only find it at one local health food store nearby me.

@Deevoo: I'll keep it in mind if I can't find anything else that will work, ever.

@log entry: I just got out of the shower and I have several very small breakouts on my forehead, and Frank the nodule has developed ten very small white heads. :/ Haven't even done my baking soda for the night, fml.

Woop, new entry. :3

I've been playing with my regimen to find what I think is effective.

So I've started taking the omega-3, and on someone's recommendation, I decided to use some lemon juice in conjunction with the baking soda (originally to maintain PH, although I realize now that there's natural AHA+ in lemon juice.) I've tried lemon juice, but not at the same time as baking soda beofre...

My acne visibly looks reduced today, and my skin isn't as dry and irritated as it has been on the past few days. I'm pretty happy! I still have quite a few blemishes, but I think I can cover them up for my first day of school tomorrow.

I don't think the stress from saving all my AP homework until today is helping, but you know. :P