Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LoveGreenSmoothies

Scar tissue and hair growth question

I've heard people say that hair doesn't grow out of scar tissue but how come my scars can grow hair? Is that good or does it mean nothing? Does it mean my scars are shallow?

By the way,I was looking at my skin in natural light up close and I have the biggest pores shock.gif I guess I knew but I didn't realize how my whole face is big pored. Lovely.

Yes, some of my scars grow hair, and some don't. With some it grows in crooked and stuff. It's really weird. I think it does depend on the depth of the scar and whether the hair follicle was destroyed by the scarring process.

my pores are huge too, but i cant grow hair through my scar tissue :angry:

i grow a beard but there are still patches where i cant grow hair

Emmanuel,

Mines is perty much all the same. I don't have any icepickers, but all boxcars under my chin in a line on one side and then one solitary boxcar (that I sort of like) on the other side. It's so much fun! I love acne scars!! All of mine occured where my facial hair grows. Always where new facial hair was coming in (where there wasn't any before). It's almost as if the very fine new hair couldn't make it's way through the pore of my skin. It's strange. I had really fine skin before about 7 years ago when this happened. I didn't start really growing facial hair until I was 23 or 24. Anyway, that's what I have goin' on. I had really deep cystic acne that just destroyed the hair folicles, and I was also not taking very good care of myself at the time, going through a grieving process over something else and...well, it's a long story.

Hey Emma,

I have heard that the final stage of the healing of a scar is shown when hair starts to grow through again, often much finer than it was before.

In my experience, the oldest scars I have from severe cystic acne on my forearms 2 years ago (yeah I know - forearm acne - weird! My derm had never seen it before. :unsure: ) are now completely healed and faded, although it is clear that it is scar tissue and not normal skin. The hair that has grown through since has been extremely fine, light blonde hair, compared to the black hair on the rest of my arms.

It might be different on the face, as my facial hair growth has remained pretty much the same despite the fact that I have scarring across my jawline and cheeks. I agree that the severity of the scar probably determines how the hair grows - I can't imagine a hair growing through a deep icepick, for instance...

Interesting thread. :think:

Oh yeah - I forgot to add that I think Richard's DMAE gel would help a lot for your open pores - it has a great tightening effect. :wink:

I am going to have everyone sitting by a window with mirror in hand to see if their scars are sprouting hair tongue.gif Sorry guys!

I don't know if there was hair in them previously so I have no idea what is going on. They may have been like this forever or it's at the end of its healing phase like you said. :think:

I'm afraid I'll break-out from DMAE gel sad.gif

Hmm. Well Richard says the DMAE gel will not break us out because it is based in an aloe-vera solution. I have to admit that I have had my only breakout for 3 months since using it, but I don't know if that was down to the gel - I skipped my routine a few times lately and also had an alcohol binge at the end of term at uni. :shifty:

I do think it has improved the pore size around my cheeks, though, I have to say.

user posted image

Improvement of pore size is a good thing!

It is hard to know if it was the culprit if you changed other things. Maybe I'll try it one day. I'm doing other stuff right now, and I am so afraid of breaking-out because I have been so good for a long time!

I always wonder if pore size can really be changed, don't you?

I mean, is that really something that a product can effect?

I have your typical bigger pores on the nose, but the only thing I can do is use my face primer for a cosmetic fix (with or without makeup).

It works a little bit, but of course it is only temporary, like makeup.

Maybe some of those derm procedures can change pore size?

I think that the hair/scar issue does have to do with damage to the hair follicle.

I would think that the scars wouldn't be too deep if the hair is still growing.