Electric or Razor?

Notifications
Clear all

Electric or Razor?

MemberMember
(@santeria)

Posted : 08/18/2010 3:30 am

Sorry if this is a repost cuz im sure it is. I ve been using gilette razors with gilette cream for sensitive skin for a while now. it seems alright but ive been thinking about buying an electric shaver instead because i believe it could be less irritating and more convenient.

So my question is.. Are regular razors or electric razors less irritating on the skin?

If so, whats a good electric shaver for sensitive skin?

MemberMember
(@jefferzzzz)

Posted : 01/20/2011 2:27 am

In my opinion, it depends on the electric razor. If you want to compare a two blade razor with a $40.00 electric razor then stick with a two blade razor.

I bought a Norelco 1280CC SensoTouch 3D which cost me a little over $200 but it's given me a better shave than any razor. I get no irritation at all.

MemberMember
(@phill)

Posted : 08/09/2011 12:13 am

My experience with electric razors is yes they will shave you but the shave wont be near as close as with a regular razor. I reccomend you buy either a Trac II or Gillete Sensor excel, another non irritating blade so I have been told by alot of people but have yet to use but own lol is the schick hydro 3. I cant shave my neck at all with an electric because the hair is flat there. You may also want to invest in a Double edge razor like the Merkur HD 34c which uses a single, double edge blade. Although they have a high learning curve, can cut you bad but will give you a close shave with less razor burn, another thing about safety razor shaving is that your milage will vary with whatever blade you are using.

MemberMember
(@xmayhem)

Posted : 10/02/2011 2:02 am

I've been testing out a $120 electric razor that I got for $30

Before that I was using a four bladed Gillete hydro hand razor and my ProActiv cleanser as the shaving cream. That worked, but it was a little irritating.

This new electric razor is pretty cool, it seems irritating but it actually isnt. The only problem is that the shave is not as close, but that doesnt matter for me, I'm only 15 ;)

Anyway, I'd have to say electric razor because:

1. Takes less time

2. No shaving cream/gel

3. Feels awesome to use

MemberMember
(@tedgreat)

Posted : 11/01/2011 2:48 pm

This is all a question of skin type and irritation, amount of acne. One thing that is undeniable is that a manual razor provides the closest shave. I would also say sufficient preparation and post work, including moisturizing and using shave oil, would go a long way to giving one a close, excellent shave.

MemberMember
(@collegeboy84)

Posted : 01/08/2012 12:54 am

For sensitive or acne prone skin... I would definitely go with electric IF you have a very good electric razor. The best razor on the market is the foil Panasonic ES-LA93-k. This electric razor will cut very close but with little to no irritation. If you can't afford a electric razor of this caliber I would suggest a Merkur Double-Edged Razor. Whatever you do, do NOT use a disposable razor. They are absolutely terrible and will definitely cause major skin irritation.

MemberMember
(@murph89)

Posted : 04/29/2012 5:59 pm

For sensitive or acne prone skin... I would definitely go with electric IF you have a very good electric razor. The best razor on the market is the foil Panasonic ES-LA93-k. This electric razor will cut very close but with little to no irritation. If you can't afford a electric razor of this caliber I would suggest a Merkur Double-Edged Razor. Whatever you do, do NOT use a disposable razor. They are absolutely terrible and will definitely cause major skin irritation.

WHen my skin was 100% clear for over a year, I used a disposable razor with just regular edge shaving cream and I never had irritation. Granted I would always either rub emu oil or witch hazel on the parts of my face that had the most hair (neck and side burns) but I never had an issue. Everyone is different I guess. But I will say a good electric razor is better than a good manual razor. I find electric razors get ALL the hair and leave my skin smooth vs a manual razor that leaves stubble.

MemberMember
(@zraden)

Posted : 04/30/2012 2:31 pm

ANY TIME, regardless of cream, direction, aftershave, razor or skin regiment....

I get about a 1000 ingrown's using a manual razor

Regardless of direction, cream, aftershave, in or out of the shower...

I never get ingrown's using my wet/dry electric razor and I get a really good close shave

If ever I'm worried about the 5 o'clock shadow, I can take my electric any where.

Plus comparing the cost of blades for a manual VS the initial cost of my electric,

my electric has paid for it self 2 times over now.

MemberMember
(@murph89)

Posted : 06/20/2012 10:15 pm

I use a Norelco electric shaver. Been using it for years. I apply witch hazel or emu oil after I shave to prevent any irritation. Works like a charm. I find electric razors get a closer shave then a manual razor.

MemberMember
(@the-darkest-cloud)

Posted : 06/23/2012 4:18 pm

I'm thinking of going back to electric....but hey guys what do ye use in terms of keeping the shaver clean. Brushing off the hair/skin/dust isn't enough for me...I'm really conscious neutral.gif I was thinking watered down Dettol/Antiseptic to clean the rotary blades and what not??? And also just shave dry or what? I'm only 18 so I can't say I've loads of experience with shaving so pardon me for the stupid questions haha..thanks

MemberMember
(@noregrets92)

Posted : 06/24/2012 7:33 am

closest and least irritating shave is with a double edge safety razor such as merkur or edwin jagger. Multiblades are irritating, electric doesn't give me that smooth finish and is still slightly irritating. Electric and multiblade razors pull the hair then cut it which leads to irritation. Safety razor just glides across your skin slicing off the hair without any tugging.

double edge blades are much much cheaper than these new multiblades marketing gimmicks.

MemberMember
(@enh333)

Posted : 11/05/2012 1:02 am

I always prefer electric. But if you are looking for a razor shave, get a kit from the Art of Shaving store. It's worth it. I'm particularly sensitive to shaving and always get acne when I razor shave, but this kit really helped. You can prolly buy it online.

MemberMember
(@cleanandnotclear)

Posted : 01/21/2013 5:30 am

Using an electric trimmer is the only way to eliminate irritation completely.

Even the G2 Plus recommended on here still causes skin to become very dry and sensitive. Shavers irritate the skin horribly if used in a circular motion as directed and still cause problems even if done carefully along the grain with the lightest pressure.

MemberMember
(@troublewacne)

Posted : 02/01/2013 4:09 am

I prefer the electric shaver. Its hard to use a razor around zits! plus the afterburn is terrible for me.

MemberMember
(@doodleme123)

Posted : 02/10/2013 5:13 pm

Using an electric trimmer is the only way to eliminate irritation completely.

Even the G2 Plus recommended on here still causes skin to become very dry and sensitive. Shavers irritate the skin horribly if used in a circular motion as directed and still cause problems even if done carefully along the grain with the lightest pressure.

Can you recommend a good trimmer?

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 02/16/2013 11:00 am

ANY TIME, regardless of cream, direction, aftershave, razor or skin regiment....

I get about a 1000 ingrown's using a manual razor

Regardless of direction, cream, aftershave, in or out of the shower...

I never get ingrown's using my wet/dry electric razor and I get a really good close shave

If ever I'm worried about the 5 o'clock shadow, I can take my electric any where.

Plus comparing the cost of blades for a manual VS the initial cost of my electric,

my electric has paid for it self 2 times over now.

This has been my experience as well. You really have to have skin of steel to use a razor and not get ingrown hairs or skin irritation. And if you have acne, how are you not irritating the lesion? I have tried, and was never successful doing so. Doesn't mean it can't be done i suppose

I have had negative experiences using the electric razors that have the three circles. They tended to tug hairs out quite often. The kind that swivel back and forth though, seem to work extremely well. Also a great after shave, even with electric, is a mixture of distilled water, sea salt, and marshmallow root powder. Really keeps any ingrown hairs at bay for me

MemberMember
(@morganhkenneth)

Posted : 03/12/2013 6:32 am

I prefer the electric shaver. Its hard to use a razor around zits! plus the afterburn is terrible for me.

That's why we should be extra careful when we use razor though we should be also careful when using electric shaver. It depends on how we use it.

MemberMember
(@streetwaver)

Posted : 03/16/2013 4:47 pm

I think DE is the best way to shave probably.

MemberMember
(@accutastic)

Posted : 03/21/2013 7:40 pm

My acne was at its worse about two years ago. I got dozens of tiny, painful zits whenever I shaved. I thought about growing a beard, which would look horried. I tried various razors, and finally made the switch to a foil one (NOT the spinny three head ones). One of the best decisions I have ever made. The shaving acne went away within a few days, and it was probably the biggest single thing that I've done to improve my complexion aside from just starting acc a month ago.

MemberMember
(@ben-lee)

Posted : 03/22/2013 6:23 pm

ELECTRIC

MemberMember
(@brizzle82)

Posted : 07/03/2013 8:24 am

My acne was at its worse about two years ago. I got dozens of tiny, painful zits whenever I shaved. I thought about growing a beard, which would look horried. I tried various razors, and finally made the switch to a foil one (NOT the spinny three head ones). One of the best decisions I have ever made. The shaving acne went away within a few days, and it was probably the biggest single thing that I've done to improve my complexion aside from just starting acc a month ago.

what razor are you using?

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 07/05/2013 8:52 am

Mach 3 Razor

MemberMember
(@mbbento)

Posted : 07/25/2013 6:58 pm

Electric for sure

MemberMember
(@kevindreed)

Posted : 08/02/2013 8:20 pm

I switched to electric from Conair I bought it at CVS for $40(estimate). And I havnt gotten a pimple shaving. Make sure not to use shaving cream or anything. I know its tuff and might hurt but do it. I get pimples if I use a razor.

MemberMember
(@zitmandamn)

Posted : 01/08/2014 7:18 am

I had stopped shaving completely 2 months back but then my beard started making me look weird with my thin body. Got myself a philips trimmer and its a dream come true. No irritation at all and I don't have to carry all that hair on my face. An electric trimmer any day over a razor... makes me cringe even thinking about regular shaving.