having acne. If you are over the age of 16 and would like to take part in this

research then please go to http://www.psyc.leeds.ac.uk/q/acne/ and fill in the

on line questionnaire. It should you take you no more than 15 minutes to

complete.

Any help with this project is very gratefully received. :smile:

Kind Regards,

Maria Day

Will do,

Ive suffured with acne for just over 10 years & have now found some good products that help. Hope your study goes well.

Just finished the survey; please inform us of the results when your research is over. I'm very interesed in your conclusions.

Hi Maria,

At present i'm just completing my MSc dissertation on acne, in medical sociological terms. I have been considering taking this further to PHd, my lecturers think a sociological and psychological approach that i am suggesting will be of great interest, particularly as med soc has never looked at the illness.

I think we might be able to have a good discussion on some of the coping strategies which i have drawn up in my theorising.

Greg.

P.S.

I'm just completing your questionnaire, and i'm a bit concerned that you have chosen to use the Leeds Acne Scale of severity, you must note the problems with using this scale as i have pointed out to my dermatologist!!!

I'm again slightly confused by some of your questions,

you ask

my acne is a mystery to me

and then

i dont understand my acne

Are these the same? or are you talking about etiological understanding of the disorder rather than subject understanding????

Your gunna begin to hate me........

the difference between anxiety and fear??

I know from psychology and sociology that fear is (depending on which stance you take) is one of the base emotions, and anxiety is more constructed rather than determinisitic. But anxiety is normally formed around fear in childhood, so how do you effectively differentiate between those two forms?

I may have more questions for you maria! And many more prbably that i have decided not to mention.

Yea i can see quite few problems with that questionnaire myself, and my lecturer in methodology for social sciences (which includes psychology), Ray Lee wouldn't be too impressed. I think theres a lot of ambiguity in the questions, so not sure how valid some of your reply are going to be, anyway i hope the rest of your phd goes well and i'd be fascinated to discuss them with you, and any of the theory as i may have a more sociological outlook it might be appropriate, especially given the psycho-social impact of acne.

No offence but I thought the questions were quite vague and probably won't illicit the kind of information that would be conductive to a realistic assesment of the acne patient's psycho-sociological state.

No offence but I thought the questions were quite vague and probably won't illicit the kind of information that would be conductive to a realistic assesment of the acne patient's psycho-sociological state.

tried to do the study, but please shrink those pictures, 1.7megs is rather excessive for such small pictures, and on my slow internet it takes forever to load any part of it.

like the idea though.

Hello Maria,

I just finished your questionaire, and I think it is wonderful that people are noticing that acne is an emotional disease as well as physical. I hope that the researchers will find some kind of cure for us someday bc of your efforts and determination. I am grateful for your concern and wish you all the luck with your project.

Sincerely,

red

Just finished your survey and would like to say that I don't have acne anymore, but I have moderate scarring (rolling, ice pick, boxcar, depression). So that might have messed up the survey a bit.

i filled it out. lol i know how hard it is to get sufficitent volunteer response for a survey.

acne sucks..

why did god make acne, lol

anyways~ i finished the survey.. some were trick questions! tongue.gif

Grogula, for someone who acts so smart, you think you would be able to find the little "edit" button.

I took the quiz. I do agree, though, that it was a little hard to answer the questions. Some of them I left blank 'cause I wasn't smart enough. tongue.gif J/k. But I did leave some blank.

cool.gif mushy

Just finished you're survey. My results were probably a little conflicting, because I just got off a medication a week ago (Accutane) that really helped my acne thus resulting in a slight confidence boost. Maybe I shouldn't have filled it out right away, but waited month or so....

acne sucks..

why did god make acne, lol

anyways~ i finished the survey.. some were trick questions! :P

to cause pain, suffering, and humilation upon the ones he doesnt favor. im not christian or religious though, but thats my thoughts.