Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BeadyB

Ortho Cyclen vs. Ortho TriCyclen

Ok. SO my doctor perscribed my OrthoTriCyclen 4 months ago, BUT!!!

They gave me OrthoCyclen instead. I've been faithfully taking it for 4ish months and my skin is actually getting worse. Should I stick with it for a bit longer (I think it did help for a little bit) or should I ask to switch tot he Ortho TriCyclen???

I'm just at a loss. In my mind, Monophasic pills are more stable, but Triphasic pills more closely mimic our natural cycles. So I don't know which would be better.

And the worst part? I'm scared. :( I don't want to stick with a pill that wont help, or switch to one that will make it worse. Why can't doctors just somehow magically determine which will work better with our bodies from blood tests or something?!!?!?

UGH. Anyone ever take both bcs?

Maybe you should switch. There is no harm in switching, except for the fact that your body has to get used to new hormones. But technically on OrthoCyclen your body will only have to get used to stable hormones, because OTC and OC are the same hormones. If you found triphasic isn't working for you then switch to mono. Is this your first BCP?

Hey Beady

I cant speak for Ortho Cyclen, but I am on Ortho Tri Cyclen and it has really helped me with regularity, pms and has not rid but has made my acne more mild. I think the 3 month mark is when you are able to tell if a BCP is working for you. If your on month 4 and your getting noticeably worse I would talk to your doctor about switching it up.

This is my first birth control, so I dont know what to expect. I'm scared I will get worse. My acne is not that bad, just sudden.

It's possible the acne is due to stress, but everyone I've asked has told me Ortho TriCyclen IS FDA APPROVED and Ortho Cyclen, is not.

This is so frustrating. My doc said she would switch me no problem, without an appointment, (gosh i like her) so the prescription is ready to be picked up. I'm hoping the switch wont be too hard on my body, after all, almost same ingredients, just at different doses.

another fact.... I'm WAY more depressed now, could be acne or OrthoCyclen or both. :( I'm hoping switchin helps!!!!

Thanks Ladies :)

Just to be clear (I dont think I made the distinction)

Ortho Cyclen = monophasic, the one I'm currently on, and not working

want to take...

Ortho TriCyclen= Triphasic, hear it has better results

Aaaaahhh! Gotcha, must have read it wrong. Same thing, lol, just switch. I know that when I take monophasic my life becomes hell, lol, I get moody and always lose my libido. But it's different for everyone. I have very low estrogen, that's why Ortho Tri Cyclen is good for me, and that's why lower dose hormones always did more bad than good. But yes, triphasic pills are more like the body's natural hormones.

I've been on Tri Sprintec (generic Ortho Tricyclen) for years and done okay with it as far as my skin. I made a brief switch to monophasic Sprintec (generic Ortho Cyclen) just this past January through March. It was just too much for me. My skin turned into an oil slick and I started getting whiteheads for the first time in like 15 years. Switched back to Tri Sprintec in April and my skin cleared up within the first 2 weeks. I just can't handle the slightly higher dose of norgestimate in the monophasic pill.

Gosh, thanks for all the replies. I'm definatley going to switch, just gotta wait for this pack to end. I've also noticed my skin is much more oily on these pills. Hmmm I hope the Ortho TriCyclen is a better bet for me.

I will be taking the generic though. I'm cheap. :)

Haha, I'm always wary of generic, only because when I took the generic of Yasmin I broke out the worst in that four months than I have ever broken out in my life.

Edited by Maria V

I've been on the generic of OrthoCyclen, and it was going fine until I broke out bad 4 months down the line. Might have been a new face lotion with AHA but my doc said I should try the generic of Ortho TriCyclen instead.

So here I go next month....