Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
L7997

dreaded initial breakout after a year of using tazorac?

what a paaaain.

-fluxuating comedones still here . above lip(ugh bloody hell i thought my upper lip was going to stay clear, or somewhat normal), inner cheeks (left cheek is really getting more of em. right is not imporving much),but chin is fine (just 1 -2. squeezed on out).

-4 inflamed zits.

2 of them are old , had formed white middles but i never extracted them. can u guess what happened? i was forced to pop them bc the first one began to reinflam and swell higher. i'm such an idiot i should have drained it myself, earlier, and it would hav healed WEEKS ago.

the other 2 were comedone -> inflamed zit after some swelling. i am expecting ANOTHER on. :(

-texture of nose is better. i still squeez the nose. not good.

-inner cheeks have several solid comedones. some which have finally surfuced a bit with no swelling red inflamation. i took one out and now a hole is left in its place. i hope this doesnt get worse. one of my fears.

causes?

-period/ my irregular skin cycle

-neglect of routine

-use of daily (but light) BHA exfoliation

Also,

-i bought EVOO. testing it on leg it. may have gotten on my face. i will be more careful, do it after i finish my face routine.

-i may be over doing it on moisturizing. i am getting oilier faster when i put too much moisturizer on. i think. maybe this too is screwing me over. i will use less.

conclude

-3 weeks ago i began usng the scrub on my nose + inner cheeks and chin 1x a day.

it is clearly not helping the comedonal problem. i dont think it really caused any of them to -> inflamed. bc it is good for superficial problems, then i will use it at most 2x a week for peeling and nose appearence. i squeezed my nose a little bit this week, but it really does look better. tho the solid formation of sebum is still going strong.

wow, i have such...confidence. fine fuck it. i will do it. will use EVOO tonite on my nose. see what happens...

or i will use BHA in the AM and treat the comedones on the outside of my cheeks and maybe they will go away. =__=

i feel like i'm in jr high again. gosh. wow. highschool i had much better skin and it just seems ridiculous that i go all the way back to jr high skin.

i know that most of the acne has inflamed and most are just hyper pigment. but the fact that my comedones are inflaming is really stressing me out. he always says Tazorac will stop it. tazorac will care for it.

Edited by L7997

http://tazorac.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default?orderby=updated

tazorac blog. i like the medical terms.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/76794-salicylic-acid-unclog-pores/

i am convincing myself that EVOO will do nothing for the plugs that form. :(

1 AM . have a paper due soon. omg.

two months ago i had a terrible chin breakout. the hyperpigmentation mark is still here. i can't belief it has taken 2 freakin months just to fade to ... -_-

w/e it is visible. that is all that matters.

i need to ensure that my skins ability to heal itself is high. sleep. is probably a good start.

Edited by L7997

i am pleased to say that the oral pill is working. i have been neglecting my routine for the past few days. slept at 2AM. endured periods. and the result was minimal breakouts. i am so pleased to have met the derm that allowed me to go on to this. people who can take spironolactone don't get the negative side effects of anti biotics.

comedones are still a problem. it scared me a few times, or many times.

i tested evoo all over my face to get off makeup that i was toying around with. i used clanser afterward. i am not sure if the wierd things i felt were sebum and/or skin or neither. it was only once that i did this.

i have stopped using the light scrub daily. only when i really want to scrub my nose i will do it. which is about 2x a week. more or less.

i have no method to treat a zit. i only know what to do when i need to pop one and drain it: wash hands thoroughly, clean the area, sterilize tools, prick the top layer, use tool to pressure out, light pressure of tissue on open wound, neosproin/polysporin on top to treat.

i know some can be encouraged to come to a head with queen helene. but i want to do something that enters it and clears it from inside. tazorac is strong and quite scary to rely on for something like this, bc it may get worse. BP never seemed to work for me. or maybe i have not used the right form of BP? i've never used AHA as a spot treat. i doubt there is a BHA good enough to spot treat. maybe i'm wrong.

Edited by L7997

To correct oily shine:

moisturizer cetaphil cream--> jojoba oil

To maintain pores, keep clear of solid yellow substances:

OCM 1-2x week (EVOO massage until ready, then w/ warm towl cover the face, fin massage, wash off with cleanser)

To treat closed comedones:

+BHA (paulas choice)

OR

+AHA/Glycolic acid 12% (Jan Marini - Bioglycolic Facial Cleanser)

If i am concerned w/ skin sensitivity:

tazorac gel 0.1% --> 0.05%

i'm sure these changes will/may happen in due time from top to bottom. i'm testing the evoo OCM on my nose today. i tried in the shower it didnt seem to help. guess i should do it again. just to see if anything will happen.

my comedones this past week has been acting up, and the inflamed acne is minimal but still unsightly. i'm worried even more today. a result from neglect, perhaps.. most likely. lol.

i can't believe this.

my comedones on my LEFT cheek are spreading and inflaming!!

my nose is terribly congested. due to low maintenence, and even neglect, it broke out this week. i noted this before , and before; it physically looked worse; but right now, with the added comedones+inflamation on my USUALLY NON INFLAMED LEFT CHEEK, is pushing me over the edge.

i am Terrified.

i have used the scrub, but i barely touched it. and it was after the breakouts that i used it. once!!!

i was steaming often during the week of neglect. as i showered I placed a warm wet cloth over my face and then used the cleanser.

my god. this can't be it; can it? i did steam be4 and i think it did aggravate my comedones, which is odd as steaming is encouraged by professionals to patients with whiteheads/closed comedones..

it isn't cetaphil cream; is it? that's ridiculous. yes it is getting warmer and i need a summer moisturizer (going to go for cera ve cream) but there is no way i am breaking out bc of it.

is it simply bc of my week of neglect? i need one more week to figure this out... but my comedonal problem is here, has always been here and is the main source of my horrors, and is inflaming. what do i do?

i feel like i haven't moved. maybe tazorac is not the product for me, but do i stop after a long 2 years hoping to get better? and i did get better after the first year and half. until i started steaming + using a useless scrub that most like irritated me causing more comedones. then i aggravated my skin more with ACIDS (acv in particular.. terrible). stopped and got on taz gel 1% and inflammation worsoned. every day, every week a comedones has turned inflamed. it was horrible. and i'm still recovering.

but if i'm going backwards. -_-

"...just last week i was steaming my face in a hot HOT shower. i kept this up for an entire week.

=( now i think i know why i broke out with comedones a few days after (many of them), and now inflammation. i’m terrified, but i feel like i know better.

i’m prone to closed comedones and serious congestion in the nose and inner cheeks. the strongest tazorac does not prevent all of the comedones from forming; but has helped reduce the number, and barely helps with congestion. i steamed be4 (1x a week) with a scrub every day! the worst combo, and this happened that time too but the breakout ruined me.

i can’t believe i did the same mistake again."

http://www.vivawoman.net/2008/09/05/why-yo...#comment-349857

a minute ago i found a blog entry in viva women and it didn't suprise me. i steamed bec it was soothing. i didn't know it would backfire bc i hear so much good about it. ugh. i definitely recommend that people do not steam or use hot water too often. once a month or 2x is definitely the amount that it should be limited to; no more.

Edited by L7997

i think it's time to renew my routine, as a reminder to myself.

AM

Purpose cleanser (Lukewarm water only. considering DHC or adding Olive oil to remove sunscreen bc Elta spf 41 is tinted. has great ratings on SkinDeep)

cetaphil cream (considering cera ve cream for summer)

Topical Clindamycin Gel 1%

Need Sunscreen (considering ELTAMD UV PHYSICAL SPF 41)

Spironalactone

PM

Spironalactone

Purpose cleanser (in shower, lukewarm water only!)

(I am adding Acne.orgs AHA 10% for days i do not use Tazorac. i will begin 2x a week and

move to every other day which is 3x-4x/week. will seriously test me. i hope i fare well. i am currently waiting for its arrival.)

Topical Clindamycin Gel 1%

moisturize w/ cetaphil/cerave cream

(every other day, which is 3x-4x /week do Taz Routine)

Wait 20 Mins

Tazorac Gel 0.1%

Wait 20 mins

Spot Treat w/ AHA10% or Mint Julep if necessary

[removed Emu Oil durin late Oct due to small wave of comedones on chin. edited on 10/11/2010; removed mintJulep. edited on 10/17/2010; removed Poly + Aquaphor]

OTHER

change pillow sheets every night

Polysporin Or Neosporin on Open facial wounds

Manuka Honey active 16+ Mask every other day

EggWhite mask & Eggyolk mask; every Wed Or Sat[sTOPPED on late Feb 2011]

Aztec clay mask Sun-Tue/Wed-Fri, 10 mins [sTOPPED on 12/2?-3?/2010]

Spot 'treating' consistently w/ emu oil. [sTOPPED on 10/20/2010]

persa gel (BP) [sTOPPED on 9/18/2010; continued 9/21/2010; STOPPED 10/2/2010]

aspirin honey mask WED/FRI/SUN [sTOPPED on 10/2/2010]

Consuming Lemon Juice (bottled) 3tbp AM + PM [sTOPPED on 9/30/2010]

pure ACV+ HONEY+ SUGAR MASK 3x per week [sTOPPED on 9/20/2010]

Future Changes?

i think too much about this shit and i end up not doing it. i will test AHA. we will see if it takes care of my closed comedones and i will be careful. sunscreen comes first though.

next time i'll use a tool to extract solid sebum on my nose =S i'm such an idiot. damaging my skin like that.

oddly, my extractions look worse. thicker, rounder. more solid.

my left cheek looks terrible. it is getting worse. i don't know if i should keep going with tazorac. i do plan on cutting back like i said, and using AHA in its' place, introducing AHA slowly, and increasing it until i can use it every other day. of course i'll lowering taz gel to 0.05% if needed. that's my plan actually. i don't see the point in such a strong tazorac. especially since my skin was supple and soft at .05%. maybe i should lower it now for the sake of using AHA or something else to treat the closed comedones?

=( aw man. i wish i knew my skin better. another cheek outbreak i do not want. please let this be minimal. please please please!

i'm using manuka honey every day. i scrubbed lightly today to get the thick dead skin off. really. i'm peeling alot. i have these patches, when i look at the light at a certain agle it gives off a different shine. it happened when i increased taz. can't believe it's still going on. it makes me think that .1% daily isn't for me.

well like i said, it is getting worse. i broke out with more inflamed acne. my right cheek too! only one zit on the right side tho; a reoccuring one i think. i dont want to count the left side but there's more than be4. so much more.

my face looks sickly and sallow. =__= under eyes look terrible. this week and the next is the worst. deadlines closing in. i'm on edge. today i had to choose classes for Fall 2011 and my GOD why was i scheduled so late! all the classes i wanted. TAKEN.

i planned and searched for those classes! i spent so muuuch tiiiime. it feels like i wasted Hours of my life.

when i make a schedule it's like me and my skin. i don't know where to start. and when i am processing it i seem to go no where.

plans i make don't work out.

alright, i should stop ranting right here.

Skin Status:

peeling skin

inflamming acne. i broke out with 2 yesterday, 1 the day before. there is 3 total, average size.

the comedones that inflamed on my left cheek are a bit smaller than average, but still red nonetheless.

comedones have not died down. they are appearing above and around my brows. active around both cheeks.

i hope i can clear from this cycle of comedones soon. i am using AHA (since last week?) 2x a week now i'm trying every other day. the three red zits are so ugly to look at. i wonder if it was a comedone that inflamed

experience with AHA and Sunscreen:

first PM application the AHA stung a bit; i presume that it is bc i applied unevenly. the next morning my skin felt amazing. i really thought it was treating my comedones faster than tazorac and i decided to try the sunscreen too. when night came, just to ensure i was okay, i took a break from using either of the meds.

the next day i continued with the Sunscreen. i did use AHA as spot treat but it stung so now i wont use it as spot treatment under sunscreen. only when i stay inside. this day i was so tired i fell asleep neglecting my PM routine (Note that my SunScreen, tinted, was still on my face) and i woke up with shitty skin; peeling, uneven, dull. i'm sure that this day was the day the comedones spread upwards to my brows. i stopped Sunscreen entirely, but when my cleanser runs out and i start on DHC i will also start the sunscreen again.

i went back on track obviously, and now i am applying the AHA or tazorac every other night. i will use manuka any time i can; just cause i am paranoid, tho i dont believe manuka will do much =p

i still i can't help but scratch at my comedones or squeeze my congested nose.

@[email protected] so scared, so scared. i did mention that my right cheek had comedones too right? well maybe not, but they are certaily obvious now...

has it been a week and 1/2 since i'be been on AHA and tazorac? comedones are still not budging.

i've also been using a tool to extract some comedones. it's interesting, how the ones that can come out look like the ones that appear on my nose: yellow tint + follicle of hair, but there are many others that cannot be extracted. anymore of this extraction will certainly aggravate the closed comedones. maybe i should not be doing this but i think getting the ones capable of coming out is better than doing nothing (ahh but i am doing something. i am using AHA or tazorac every day, but they seemed to spread further rather than being held back...

tazorac does not stop comedones when i cause it, and niether can the AHA. i also didn't have it when i was "abusing" my skin with steam so i don't know if AHA acts better to prevent comedones that i may cause. so all AHA or Taz can do now is treat the comedones i made. so the closed comedones didn't spread; they were already developing, too late to be stopped, and decided to make itself apparant now? .

i still can't go on my sunscreen, not yet.

this is really saddening. my left cheek is breakouting out; as some comedones do inflame, and my right cheek too.

i wonder whether or not it is ok to spot treat with AHA if i use it before clyndamycin in the AM and i also use taz or aha at night. sometimes i can't consider what i do with AHA in AM as spot treating bc i dont just put it on my inflamed zits. i put it on my nose. my comedones. i have to stop this or maybe avoid any use of spot treatment. So far i see AHA as an ineffective spot treatment.

i did squeez my nose, but less than i did before. i wonder if AHA has anything to do with this? i haven't been paying attention to my nose. guess the comedones are just that distracting.

i wonder if BHA was a better choice. <_<; ...i'll have to wait it out, till mid/late june; how lame.

last note:

i have gone over the function of tazorac, aha, +bha.

"Exfoliants such as AHAs and BHA primarily affect the surface of the skin (epidermis) or the lining of the pore by actually ungluing or dissolving layers of skin cells. In contrast, retinoids affects the lower layers of skin (dermis), where new skin cells are produced. Retinoids actually communicate with a skin cell as it is being formed, telling it to develop normally instead of developing as a sun-damaged or genetically malformed skin cell."

since i've been on tazorac i continued to get closed comedones. taz does not really exfoliate, and only only aided in "normalizing" my skins ability to exfoliate. if it worked out the way i hoped it would have normalized my skin entirely and the comedones would have stopped developing; but i guess that is why i am adding the BHA or AHA now.

so tazorac once did regulate my skin, even when my hormones were unstable. back then, not too long ago, red acne was average - minimal and skin was supple, had comedones but this was regulated + controlled. here is when i made a mistake, skin abuse thru steams and scrubs. maybe upping taz daily was bad on my derms part.

going back to that regime and making it better is what i'm doing now, i guess.

so back to using taz every other day + continuing clyndamycin: to normalize the formation of skin + treat red acne.

AHA(BHA if aha fails) the days i don't use taz: to exfoliate the skin that taz could not "correct" and treating the comedones that tazorac can't fix.

spironolactone: preventing red acne by regulating inflammation / instability within.

Edited by L7997

it seems that, over the past three-two days i've broken out all over my forehead. four medium-big lesions, entirely new and two of them are pretty deep; and several comedones -> inflamed.

so far about 8-9 red spots on my forehead ranging from different sizes. bleh. this was unexpected.

i think its' the AHA. i don't breakout in these areas and the zits are taking on a whole new lvl than be4. i have been using AHA as spot treatment, and about 3x-4x PM during the week. this isn't a problem for many, but i guess AHA is causing acne for me.

should i stop AHA and cont taz only? wait it out until my skin heals up? this will do for now.

i dont know if diet means anything but i was eating alot of junk (excess sugar) these few days cause my sister brought it home. <_< guess i wont be doing that either..

http://focusacne.com/acne-redness

i really want a natural cleansing routine. i think an oil cleanser is best bc it can lift makeup, but will warm water get the dirtied oil off? Hmm

--> OCM, i think, should only be done 1x every two weeks (or 2x a month) because it draws deeply and uses steam which is harmful when done too often. 2x a month would give benefits w/o irritiatation and is less likely to lead towards the development of clogged pores. i would like to try this on a week that i have seriously congested skin.

---> Oil as a precleanser. just an oil to lift impurities on the skin and a cleanser to lift the oil on the skin. i want to begin with grapeseed. i did want to try jojoba / evoo, but Eh; grapseed is cheaper. i wonder if this is thin enough for summer but moisturizing enough for winter. =) either way, i already have cetaphil cream for winter. will see how this goes.

summary: stopped AHA (as spot treat and PM treatment), adding grapeseed oil as precleanse and maybe as a moisturizer.

edit* this is on hold. the precleans is to help remove Sunscreen. but for now, on hold.

Edited by L7997

alright so it is a definite fact that since i started AHA i began breaking out in deeper acne. acne that last longer than 2 weeks... now that i stopped AHA acne looks better. i must have overdone it. i thought that AHA spot treating and AHA every other night would be fine. i did over do spot treatment. my orginal intent was to use it at PM every oher night. i should have followed it to be sure. now i am confused. so do i try it again? AHA at PM every other night?

BLEH. i really want to treat and prevent comedones!

so starting tonight, one more time, if AHA does not work well every other night / causes acne then i wont cont it.

Edited by L7997

Hello! I'm sorry for all your acne troubles!

After reading through 90% of your blog/log here can I make a few suggestions?

I feel like you are using way too many products at once! It's best to start out with very few products. Cleanser (one that you use both morning and night), your RX acne med (Tazorac in your case), and a lotion (once again, one you use both morning and night). This method is know as the elimination method. It helps you determine if any of those 3 things you are using are causing you to breakout or if it's just the acne medicine working (or not working). By adding in so many factors you are basically eliminating your chances of having clearer skin because it's harder to figure out what product isn't working for you.

I highly suggest trying this method for at least one month (it can take 3 months for the Tazorac to work, and you could be hindering it by using excessive products) to really see if it's the medicine that's not working, or if it's one of the other two products. Usually for a product you don't need more than 2-3 weeks to decide if it's working, and like I said, with so many products in play you can't know which is working and which isn't.

I know it's very frustrating to feel like you skin isn't getting any better, so please be patient! Although I know from reading your blog that you have been trying to be very patient for a long time now :)

I have had acne for 16 years now (I got very serious outbreaks starting from age 9 when I hit puberty) and I know it's frustrating to try and find the right solution.

If you are having hormonal acne (closed comedones, breakouts around chin/mouth/cheeks, cysts) have you ever tried taking a birthcontrol for your acne? Also please google PCOS and see if you have those symptoms as that can greatly contribute to your acne. If you do have the symptoms of PCOS your condition can be greatly helped by a birthcontrol. One without male hormones, as if you have PCOS your body is likely making too much androgen (male hormone) and this is causing the breakouts. If it isn't PCOS but you're having hormonal breakout ask your Dr about Spironalactone. It's a pill you take everyday in the AM (sometimes in the PM too) to help block excess androgens your body is making. It was originally a low blood pressure medication, but if your blood pressure us normal it will have no affect on it. Spironalactone also helps decrease oil production which helps to keep skin clear. *Edit* Forgot to add the BCs on the market that don't have male hormone are Yasmine, Yaz, BeYaz. I think they're all the same maker, if not they all have the same idea/one ingredient in common. They are also low dose BCs.

Please note that I am not a Dr, or a nurse, I cannot legally give medical advice, only make suggestions on some things that have worked for me, and may not work for you.

I hope this information has been helpful! If you are not having any luck with your acne at all, can you ask your Dr about going on Accutane? I know that greatly helped me in my teen years, and even now reduced the affects of acne on my life even if I still have mild acne (my mild back acne and chest acne have stayed gone!)

I am an esthetician so I try to educate myself on skin and it's problems, but like I said, have no medical background :)

If you have any questions please feel free to ask me and if I know the answer I will tell you. Please keep the faith that someday you too will have beautiful, clear skin! I know it's very hard but you're going to look great really soon!!!

Edited by KariRocksOut

so i used the AHA as spot treatment two days ago. the next day ( or yesterday) i cant recall whether or not the zits changed. regardless, i used AHA again that day. today the comedones around one of the spot treated zits raised up. today i also broke out with chin acne. it seems hormonal, as my period hasnt arrived last month, er, i think @[email protected]

i thought it would, but it never arrived. not yet.

anyways, rather than using AHA to spot treat today i used tazorac in the afternoon. god the zits hurt. i wonder if this is hormonal.

either way AHA isn't a spot treatment for me nor can i use it regularly. i can try again, but this is my observation now. oh! i DID NOT over do it! i did NOT. and the zits seems a bit worse now. O_O or maybe AHA just isn't good at treating and my zits, rather than treated, inflamed "regularly" which i doubt.

my comedones are terrible. i dont know what to do to rid my skin of them, and with that also encourage my skin to not create more and to reduce congestion.. so tomorrow i'm going to see dermatologist and im going to request an extraction. of course, i hope they can do this.

maybe one day i'll figure out how to get the congestion and comedones to stop forming.

Edited by L7997

Hello! I'm sorry for all your acne troubles!

After reading through 90% of your blog/log here can I make a few suggestions?

I feel like you are using way too many products at once! It's best to start out with very few products. Cleanser (one that you use both morning and night), your RX acne med (Tazorac in your case), and a lotion (once again, one you use both morning and night). This method is know as the elimination method. It helps you determine if any of those 3 things you are using are causing you to breakout or if it's just the acne medicine working (or not working). By adding in so many factors you are basically eliminating your chances of having clearer skin because it's harder to figure out what product isn't working for you.

I highly suggest trying this method for at least one month (it can take 3 months for the Tazorac to work, and you could be hindering it by using excessive products) to really see if it's the medicine that's not working, or if it's one of the other two products. Usually for a product you don't need more than 2-3 weeks to decide if it's working, and like I said, with so many products in play you can't know which is working and which isn't.

I know it's very frustrating to feel like you skin isn't getting any better, so please be patient! Although I know from reading your blog that you have been trying to be very patient for a long time now :)

I have had acne for 16 years now (I got very serious outbreaks starting from age 9 when I hit puberty) and I know it's frustrating to try and find the right solution.

If you are having hormonal acne (closed comedones, breakouts around chin/mouth/cheeks, cysts) have you ever tried taking a birthcontrol for your acne? Also please google PCOS and see if you have those symptoms as that can greatly contribute to your acne. If you do have the symptoms of PCOS your condition can be greatly helped by a birthcontrol. One without male hormones, as if you have PCOS your body is likely making too much androgen (male hormone) and this is causing the breakouts. If it isn't PCOS but you're having hormonal breakout ask your Dr about Spironalactone. It's a pill you take everyday in the AM (sometimes in the PM too) to help block excess androgens your body is making. It was originally a low blood pressure medication, but if your blood pressure us normal it will have no affect on it. Spironalactone also helps decrease oil production which helps to keep skin clear. *Edit* Forgot to add the BCs on the market that don't have male hormone are Yasmine, Yaz, BeYaz. I think they're all the same maker, if not they all have the same idea/one ingredient in common. They are also low dose BCs.

Please note that I am not a Dr, or a nurse, I cannot legally give medical advice, only make suggestions on some things that have worked for me, and may not work for you.

I hope this information has been helpful! If you are not having any luck with your acne at all, can you ask your Dr about going on Accutane? I know that greatly helped me in my teen years, and even now reduced the affects of acne on my life even if I still have mild acne (my mild back acne and chest acne have stayed gone!)

I am an esthetician so I try to educate myself on skin and it's problems, but like I said, have no medical background :)

If you have any questions please feel free to ask me and if I know the answer I will tell you. Please keep the faith that someday you too will have beautiful, clear skin! I know it's very hard but you're going to look great really soon!!!

my questions are this:

do you have experience with tazorac? has tazorac taken care of all the comedones? do ppl get congested skin as i have continued to get after a year of tazorac? i "healed" from my outbreaks before with tazorac, but the result was not good enough so ive made bad changes that aggravated my skin by steaming and scrubbing. and tho my basic products were not all great, i had months of little to no red acne and few comedones compared to what i have now, which is after overdoing steaming + scrubbing + bad treating habits.

so i think ive finally found the culprit, and it's not in my cleanser or moisturizer, or the treatments my derms have given me.

right now i can wait it out like i did before, and see if tazorac + another year will get me out of the congested skin and comedone cycle. but say my comedones are mostly treated, yet my skin continues to get terribly congested just like before (which is why this cycle started) is there anything that youve discovered that actually helps? some ppl say that adding a bit of BHA/AHA into the routine would help so i've attempted AHA and so far, incorporated with reduced amounts of Taz, has not lead to good results and actually caused inflamed acne (but note that i also have bad habits.)

thanks, it's nice to get feedback. i feel more convinced to just wait it out and allow taz to work like before.

this is the routine currently, ive been doing this for weeks besides the recent side track of AHA. the parenthesis are changes i wish to take on in the future. oil is a big gamble to me but i've wanted to try it bc it can remove sunscreen and is a multi functional product.

AM:

1. Spironolactone

2. Purpose Cleanser (2> Grape seed oil add into cleansing)

3. Clindamycin

4. Cetaphil Cream (1>Org. Grape-seed oil)

5. (3>Sunscreen)

PM:

1. Spironolactone

2. Purpose Cleanser (2> Grape seed oil add into cleansing)

3. Clindamycin

4. Cetaphil Cream (1>Org. Grape-seed oil)

5. Wait at least 20mins

6. Tazorac 0.1%

* honey masks

i had many ideas on what to do to further better my skin. i tried the grapeseed oil for a while but my skin didn't seem too great cause i couldnt tell if i was getting more whiteheads. scared i jumped bak to my regular routine.

i couldnt get a comedone extraction done from the PA as she was not taught this procedure. the derm should be able to do this, i will see him soon.

my routine has been pretty stable. cleanse, clyndamycin, moisturize, pill. same routine at night but w/ added tazorac. no changes have been made.

i am breaking out with: various sized, but deeper red swellings. which is a huge suprise bc isn't the pill supposed to be treating this? they are borderline cystic but few in numbers. otherwise i am breaking out with inflamed comedones some small and avg sized. hm, they (the borderline cystic looking ones) may have been comedones that became inflammed bc they are deep. they swell up and become huge if these types inflame. takes forever to heal.

other issues: closed comedones still here. yellow tinted hard substance still in nose pores and inner cheek pores.

i've decided that, rather than going crazy finding something to treat the congestion (with chemical or a product), i will use a "comedone extractor" to encourage hardened pills of wierdshit to get out of my pores once every two weeks. gently. and then i'll tone, treat, and moisturize.

the redness from my inflammations seems to swell down a bit with honey. or is it just me? anyways i still spot treat with queen helene every now and then. especially now bc of my inflmmatory acne suddenly acting up.

this is great so far. my comedones, tho still here and inflamming, reduced a bit in number and the inflammation is not at all overwhelming. to a degree i feel as if i am healing faster. mybe its bc it is finally summer? oh i wish i could start my sunscreen. but i need a makeup removing cleanser for this. most preferably an oil type that wont kill me. ah, i wish i could start vitamin c. i heard that it is actually irritating, which i find hard to believe. i wonder if this is true.

Edited by L7997

i don't understand the recent breakouts i've been getting.

i think it is my hormones, and otherwise inflammation within (caused by various factors i'm sure) that then inflames my comedones (i really need to work on this. spiro does bring a lot of relief to preventing actual cystic zits. i think if i start a birth control pill inflammatory acne can be avoided. this combo isn't bad, actually it seems great. i'm curious. but being on another persciption sounds like a pain. i will try this if i get desperate again); but these are pretty bad. this month i broke out with these deeper swelling zits on my forehead, which is seriously rare. i wonder why.

i bought zinc to add into my routine for the inflammation and currently doing more research before i start.

-- it does not interfere with any of the prescriptions so i think i'm ready to start w/ just 50mg daily. if this doesn't work out i have to drop everything and just attempt birth control pill.

* = important

italics = uncertainty

A:

spiro

tazorac

clyndamycin --> 4) replace with BHA ???

purpose cleanser --> * 2) Acne.org cleanser tested to remove SunS.

cetaphil moisturizer

Honey mask

sulfur to treat ONLY upper red lesions (not deep) or lesions w/ pus

Poly/Neo spot treat ONLY on open lesions

B:

(+)oral zinc 50mg-100mg; --> * 1) test for 1month

(+)tinted sunscreen --> * 2) test AFTER 2A is reviewed. try for 2 wks.

(+)tumeric mask --> 3) test at least 7 times.

Edited by L7997

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* = important

italics = uncertainty

Possible Future routine.

AM

spiro

Purpose cleanser acne.org cleanser

topical vitamin C serum

Clyndamycin/BHA

Cetaphil moisturizer

tinted sunscreen

PM

spiro

Grape seed Oil Precleanse

& Purpose cleanser acne.org cleanser

Cetaphil moisturizer

tazorac

zinc 50mg-100mg

OCCASIONAL

Honey mask

sulfur spot treatmentsulfur to treat ONLY upper red lesions (not deep) or lesions w/ pus

Poly/Neo ONLY on open lesions

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CURRENTLY EXECUTING:

1, 2,

OBSERVATIONS:

STEP1)

7/2, third day, AM: still inflaming. the swelling+redness of my acne seems terrible. nose congestion is bad. i'm doing some extractions today on the nose and easy to remove comedones (i think they can be removed by me now as they are high and pin like). i was taking the pills at PM; no side-effects so far. i'm going to take it AM today and onward for just in case purposes. i think the pill goes down better and does not interfere with sleep this way? i'm also sleeping really late, 3AM in the morning. not sure why i push myself like that. need to stop pronto.

7/3, fourth day, PM: Im taking the pill PM. i find this much easier to do because i take it right after i eat a meal w/ the spiro pill. In the morning i can't do that as there is little time.

OFF TOPIC: Today i've been experiencing a lot of irritation + sensitivity leading to flareups and itchiness. it may be bc i spot treated w/ taz this morning on the new deep lesions. still, I'm stopping purpose cleanser soon bc i really want to get off of it (it's too stripping sometimes, and other times there is a mild stinging sensation. most likely to tazorac. my skin sensitivity varies; i can use less of tazorac or lower it's potency but in the end i still wont enjoy purpose as it is not gentle enough.

On the comedones i extracted: though i extracted only a few easily (came out fast with some force) the area still reddened and is ugly looking today. I'm such an idiot. Anyways, i still have the tendency to scratch (maybe scrape) off pin like comedones. Overall it seems i'm really prone to inflammation this week. Some self induced by physical urges like scratching mindlessly and maybe by staying up late. Others consciously, like the comedone extraction (they really were ready to come up. but closed comedones are not papules... -_-shit). But is there any other hormonal issues going on internally that is causing the acne? i don't know. what about other external factors? zinc i started AFTER the inflammation began, to control it. Grapeseed oil would only have caused closed comedones.

clyndamycin, i am not sure if i should ween off of it. It was never obviously effective, so i don't know what will happen. i don't know if i should use something else. i was considering a BHA but they do not share the same properties and BHA exfoliates (which i may actually want for my nose and ongoing closed comedones). for now i will keep clyndamycin. BHA can treat and prevent comedones in areas Taz cannot. it is also great for acne. in general this product sounds like My savior. Clyndamycin is a preventative measure, i don't see it as anything else. What if BHA replacing clyndamycin is a good choice?

7/7, AM: My skin is getting better. Of course i'm still trying to correct my sleeping patterns so that may be hindering my skin (most likely). I got a coritsone shot two days ago and the zit went down. It is healing gracefully; haha. I am worried that zinc is hurting me. lately i've been feeling a little off. i do eat zinc right after dinner. i do not experience nausea (only the first few tries) but i cont. to feel light headed and my sinus congestion is terrible, which is new to me. it may be due to summer. I wonder if zinc can worsen these things. m room in particular is stuffy even with the air con.

On BHA, i think that it would be a long while before i even consider attempting it. if my skin gets better within the end of this year i will be pleased enough to not start. i may just use a scrub once in a while before i attempt to extract the solid debris from my nose after a warm shower. But the ones on my inner cheeks? i don't know what to do about them. sometimes they come out. sometimes they do not and inflame if i make a mistake. will i always suffer from clogged pores and closed comedones? -_-

7/9, PM I'm stopping Zinc. i tested a day without it and my head cleared up, my nose is not as stuffy. basically all the symptoms left.

it seems that my skin is still flaring up. my right cheek is taking the worst hits. one of the deep ones that did not get shot is still here. it's odd, i thought it would've healed and left by now. it will definitely leave a red mark. i broke out a bit on my chin, very tiny. sleeping patters aren't fixed yet.

STEP2)

7/3: Second time using grapeseed oil and this time it did little to aid the skin as a precleanser (the first time i felt fine). Oddly today i flared up, immediately after cleansing. i don't believe it is the oil, but purpose and tazorac. however, this oil did little to stop the stripping feeling. i may have not left it on long enough. this is also a hassle to use; it is not easy to store and i don't have the patience for a second cleansing step. as a moiturizer it didn't feel as good as cetaphil cream and tho It did remove my tinted suns i am still not continuing it. I will try acne.orgs cleanser in a week or so as Purpose & Grapeseed oils replacement

7/9, PM

I began the acne.org cleanser. it seems okay, but it actually stings my lip area a bit. i don't know what to think. I'm certain, now, that my preferred cleanser are milky-ish; a typical asian cleanser. i don't understand why cleansers like Purpose are used by the american population. the creamy milky ones are soothing and don't strip as much. i need to find one that takes off sunscreen + foundation well.

7/18, PM

So far the cleanser is pretty good. no issues. i tested the sunscreen. i used grape seed oil to remove it tho, and then the cleanser on top. i said i wouldn't do this, but i did anyway. figures. i will test the suns again, tho this time it will be on my hand, with no oil to remove it.

my right cheek has calmed down, but this zit that i thought healed remained and actually swelled over(covering more area). previously i pricked the upper layer w/ white pus and extracted the core, yet it worsened. i don't think i did this badly, but i guess i did. maybe i applied pressure at bad areas?

my left cheek is horrible. so much inflammation. comedones so close to eachother infecting the other and causing more redness. the swelling is bad. i am still breaking out more. it doesn't help that i have such terrible habits!!!! Gosh i have to stop!

my forehead, right brow, is finally calming down after 6 breakouts (like mine bombs detonating one another). all were tender and sore and all left hyper pigmentation. there is still one more painful zit.

my forehead, above left brow, healed well. however, i broke out with another deep zit. I am on my period so i will allow this to slide.

*A note on comedones: i do feel that i should test my skincare products again, to check for any signs of pore clogging properties. i also think that cetaphil cream should change bc it may be too thick/moisturizing for my skin, but i love applying it. plus i don't get milia. maybe one odd one, but nothing else.

Edited by L7997

Rate of healing: (extreme approximation)

acne from 10 months ago

-are now scars (as in healed skin but of course no skin ever heals perfectly). no visible redness.

-major breakouts: comedonal breakout, right cheek inflammation, left cheek inflammation (less major than right side).

-Possible causes: hot steaming, daily scrub, (which led to...) ACV toner.

acne from 5-4 months ago

-are now scars or minimized red spots.

-major breakouts: more chin acne and more inflammation generally after getting off of pill (before starting spiro)

-possible causes: no way to stop closed comedone inflammation after bad testings. little relief. bad sleep.

acne from 3-1month ago

-are obviously red.

-major breakouts: comedonal breakout, left cheek inflammation.

-Possible causes: hot steaming, neglect, hormonal spiked by lack of sleep.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i am happy that, at least, i can see progress. i wish healing was faster.

on current skin:

i should have seen a profession to get these comedones extracted. now i have no choice but to see that the inflammation heals up before i do anything else. i want to relieve the swelling but, in this search, i may just cause more. i should not try anything else.

Edited by L7997

arg this site really confuses me to no end. where is my blog post? i thought it was a personal blog and then i see a whole bunch of community blogs like. 0_o?? and, i thought this post was totally gone.

Since it is here, i may as well. Let's continue, shall we?

My skin is a bit better. However, this week i broke out like five times in a row? jeez, what is up.

some of the things i did/changed/and other fluxes observed:

a) wearing glasses more often.

b) taking spirionolactone twice at PM rather than one AM one PM. started this month and i've been breaking out ever since. may be just a coincidence.

c) Using Purpose cleanser (to finish it off. did this last month i think- i have it noted on my acne calender. lol).

d) Spirionolactone BRAND changed last month and now i switched back to the one i used when i first started.

e) Spotty before, but now a lot better. may be due to the switching brand of Spiro which is odd.

f) again, my horrible sleeping patterns are worse now. i have so little discipline... anyways, I wake up at 6AM and sleep at 12PM+.

I bolded the ones i suspect most.

my "treatment" will be:

a) cleaning glasses with alcohol

b) switch Spiro back to one AM & one PM

f) sleep well.

Edited by L7997

Ah, yes. the breakout in September was most likely caused by the switch in Spironolactone brand (this is misleading. i am referring to the company that makes and sends in the drug to the pharmacy, i think). this may seem odd, because this shouldn't be an issue. Spiro is Spiro wherever you go, right? well, my experience obviously denies that. My sibling has also experienced this as well.

December has been a great month for my skin; Minor breakouts, more during my period.

this November i am peeling a lot more and getting lazy with tazorac, but i exp'd fewer breakouts now than i did in December. i hope this continues.

if i do breakout the inflammation is small, and will generally heal well. Most of the breakouts are in closed comedones which tend to come and go every few weeks, so they aren't serious closed comedones which later develop into clusters of red, swollen, zits. these small minor comedones are around my nostrils, and chin; Typical areas. It feels just like senior year of high school, when i was clear before the horrible closed comedonal breakout caused by the steaming and scrubbing.

I still have the hard sebum in my pores; the ones which, if i do not squeeze them out or extract them, will develop into something more serious.

i switched my moisturizer so many times, nothing changed. I switched my cleanser a variety of times too. Maybe it really is my skin, or the meds. who knows. I don't have an intricate record of history to find out what it is.

all i know for sure now is that i wont ever steam my face like before, or use anything like ACV, especially when i have such a potent regime that could easily backfire.

My routine is still the same since September. No sunscreen, which makes me sad, but i won't use it unless i have a cleanser which can remove makeup. @[email protected] that's how anal i am about sunscreen. but i purchased a sunscreen with tinted foundation, (a couple months ago. may have mentioned it) and it seems great! lovely reviews. i really want to use it. ahh what do i do? hope Acne.orgs cleanser is good enough to take it off.

Edited by L7997

Acne Activity:

-at times i would breakout for a week, which would stop and allow my skin to heal with typical pigment marks leftover. i'm tracking the healing rate of one of these zits. I broke out in 12/17/2011. the red swell reduced fully in a span of 2weeks(more or less), but the pigment is still here, on 1/17/2012.

-skin overall is sort of under control. not much i can do i think besides get a better more calming cleanser and have things to soothe the skin while i do get breakouts

Other Activity:

-My sleeping habits are much worse now; so much for correcting my sleeping pattern. now i wake up at 9:30Am and sleep at 1AM. this may be encouraged by weather but it really is my fault. my new bedding is also not allowing me to sleep..

-Sometimes i spot or get a regular period that lasts a week. acne's is usually active in the days before the period occurs.

Skin Treatment/Routine:

-I'm switching to tazorac cream 0.1% because it is less irritating. taz gel caused me to peel AND itch AND sting when i cleansed. terrible weather. my switch is pretty permanent unless i also find cream 0.1% too irritating. i'm moving to Binghamton and the weather there is worse; colder and windier.

-during the mid of December (12/??/2011) I started to use clyndamycin 1x a day, mostly bc i was running low and didn't want to see the derm for a new prescription. i can't tell if my breakouts are worse or better. i think it's okay. I'll cont with 1x a day and then 2x a day for a few weeks to compare the experience.

AM

spironolactone

Acne.org Cleanser

Clyndamycin

cetaphil cream

PM

spironolactone

Acne.org cleanser

cetaphil cream

20mins

tazorac cream 0.1%

OTHER

manuka honey mask (only when i feel dry/irritated/acne active)

queen helene spot treatment (only for red zits that have swelled)

i want to test acne.orgs AHA but eh.

Edited by L7997

Hello there,

I just started using Tazorac too with Duac. I kept hearing all the great things about people using Cerave so I picked up a bottle when I started the meds. I saw that you mentioned that your skin is irritated and it burns, well the same thing happened to me. I'm on Tazorac .1% gel and my face was sooo red and it was burning and peeling like crazy. I finally realized it's because of the Cerave!! It has some alcohol ingredient in it. So, I stopped. I found some Asian cream that my mom uses that doesn't have any alcohol in it and used it for a couple of nights. Guess what? No burning or irritation at all!!!!!! My zits even started to heal or maybe they just look better because my face is not inflamed. I think Cetaphil might have some alcohol content in it too. Check your cleanser also. I was using Nivea to remove makeup and my skin was burning. I've switched to Philosophy Purity made Simple and the burning stopped.

I also stopped using the Aztec Clay just to rule out one more thing. This is my routine now and my face has calmed down soooo much.

Night

Remove makeup using Philosophy (I use it with the silicone scrubbers that come with the L'oreal face wash, I don't use the face wash, I just bought two bottles for the little scrubbers, very gentle but helps me exfoliate)

Cleanse one more time with Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash (another one that doesn't make my skin burn)

Some Toner my mom uses - Naruko rose and snow something toner

Some serum my mom uses - Naruko Magnolia Serum (no chemicals or alcohol)

Some cream my mom uses - Naruko Magnolia night repair cream

Wait 30 mins and then put on Tazorac

Morning

Purpose to cleanse

Same toner

Wait 5 mins

Duac

Wait 15 mins

Same serum

Same cream

Wait 5 mins

Makeup

G

That's interesting. I didn't struggle to figure out what in the world my skin was sensitive to, but i will keep watch for alcohol and see how it goes.

I like the cetaphil cream, tho it is thick and takes long to settle in, and my hair sticks to it if i don't keep it away.

I'm planning to switch the acne.org cleanser to albolene, or something makeup removing and creamy, that also does not cause any reaction. acne.org does not cause any serious reactions but something, maybe it's the water, that i get an occasional temporary red area.

Since my skin has been pretty active today i decided to update this. Maybe my period is coming; i'm probably right. if anything, it will arrive by nxt a week.

acne Activity:

okay so i was switched between brands of spironolactone, but now i switched back to the one i initially took, And i'm breaking out. Well its not like these sort of breakouts ever fully stopped so. eh.

Other activity/observations:

-stuffed pores on my nose and inner cheeks, like always.

-scratched skin (cuts on forehead/nose) i get more of these when my hair is down and i'm sleeping.. not good.

-hyperpigmentation is still apparent. unfortunately i see no big changes since January. I hope by the end of the semester they do become very minimal. the scarring however, is going to stay. I feel like i should have tried the Roaccutane. hm.

Changes

-Currently using Purpose cleanser again, but will try albolene soon

-adding a sunscreen after albolene is proven successful. wont cont the elta one so i need to do research.

-adding foundation after sunscreen is proven successful. one that can be easily applied with fingers. just looking to even out skin, not cover the acne entirely. i do want one that does make me look like i have perfect skin for events so i might as well get one that can do both.

-looking for something to maintain my nose pores, to keep any hardened plugs from forming. i hate squeezing my pores but how else do i clear it and keep it down? Jeezus. These are solid pills! my queen helene mask is not possible to test on my nose atm and its prob not effective at keeping the things from building and becoming solid.

the day i never return to this site is when you know, by then, my acne has cleared and is under control.

But it's going to be some more years before i am satisfied.

i kinda hate the internet right now. It's never done much good. if only i wasn't so impulsive. but when you want more and then your confused but you just follow along. No one really shakes you to stop; i mean, why would they? its not their skin, it's not their issue.

anyway, just wanted to say that I am going to attempt accutane...after i see the derm and get his consent.

I will speak to the doctor in a few weeks. I want to start weak/moderate and work my way up a bit and then work it down until the treatment is over. My skin routine should be pretty good by then, and after a few months without accutane and my skin has regulated, i can attempt a scar treatment...if that's even possible for asians. if i'm lucky i wont need to continue my current routine right, or at least i wont need like a crazy routine to keep acne under STRICT control? it would be another year or two for accutane and scar treatment to fall in place. Damn. i wish i started a few months ago, when my derm actually suggested it.

why am i so sure now? lol im pretty late. i probably could have done this when my acne was inflaming like crazy. But now i'm sure. i feel this route will be okay. I want the acne to stop. I wont allow myself to attempt a scarring treatment until the acne stops. any new zit seems to leave a permanent slap mark on my face. And worse, when it's indented.

Honestly, if my skin healed as fast as a caucasions or my acne was never so red and puffy and large, this wouldnt be an issue.

Edited by L7997