Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Got2BStrong14

27 f, took accutane 4 years ago and now relapsing. want to take it again

I left my new physician's office in tears today.. at least hoping after i explained how i have struggled with acne for most of my life that accutane was the only thing that worked for me four years ago, and in the last 10 months i have been getting more and more painful, unsightly, scarring cysts.

she actually didnt give me a referral to a dermatologist at all, instead prescribed me doxycyclin, clindamycin, and retinol. I have taken these things so many times when I was younger and it is just a temporary fix and my acne always comes back with a force because it never goes away.

She told me accutane is going off the market, and i told her the generics weren't (she didn't even know that) I asked if this doesn't work that she can refer me to a dermatologist, although she told me most of the doctors in her group aren't prescribing it anymore except for maybe one.

I'm so pissed off, I don't even want to be doing this regimen (I started taking the antibiotics just to prevent new cysts from forming but i know that I can't take them for longer than two months and then they will come back eventually) Honestly, the whole summer my skin has been getting worse and worse, not as bad as it was before accutane, although some of the cysts I have gotten though not as frequent, have been the biggest of my life. The only thing that kept me from going crazy about it was that once my insurance kicked in, I would do a second round of accutane and get rid of this.

Do i seriously have to endure this stupid regimen to prove to her that its not going to clear my skin of getting cysts? I want to go back in like 4 weeks and explain more because I feel like she didn't even listen to my story. I mean, she was explaining to me what retin-a was like I had never heard of it before when I told her that I've been on like every topical and every antibiotic and every bcp, vitamin, herbal thing whatever.

although she did ask about whether I was in ipledge, and what my accutane dosage was, so I have to feel like there is hope. And also being on the antibiotics with a little retin a right now but keep me from getting a huge IB if i go on accutane in 2 months.

sooooooo frustrated.

Maybe since you have been on Accutane before, this less intense treatment will work this time?? I know how you feel though! But you should definitely give it a shot. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Thanks... Its only been a week but I feel like I can already tell that, though the antibiotics are working from keeping anything get infected into a larger postule or cyst, the oil level and the comodones I have are the same..... Even if I can purge everything while the antibiotics are working in the next weeks I feel like I'm just going to get more comodones.

I was looking at pictures of myself post accutane in the last years and how clear skinned and happy I looked. I know that is a projection but I'm not going to give up! I've decided that in my follow up I'll tell her how much accutane is the only thing that has ever worked for me and that I want to do another course.

It refuse to spend the next years of my life battling acne!

you should be able to see a dermatologist

everyone has the right to see a dermatologist to get the most expert skin care opinion

if your insurance doesn't let you see one until you get a referral first, then DEMAND that you get a referral

my insurance lets me see almost any dermatologist I want and without referral

Basically what Karam said, i already decided i wanted accutane before i went to my GP, and i knew GPs cant prescribe it. So I didnt even talk to my GP about acne, i just straight away ask for a referral to a derm, i dont think i even mentioned accutane to him.

I know... I was so surprised that she didn't give me the referral like I asked for, after I told her my patient history. I am going to write down a list of everything I've done (including a round of accutane 3.5 years ago which I want to do again) and definitely get the referral this time.

The antibiotics she prescribed arent even doing anything on top of being a temporary solution that doesn't work for someone with long term chronic acne.

I'll say that I really respect her opinion as a doctor and I think this is a great regimen for someone who's going through a spurt of acne but I want to discuss further options with a dermatologist as a 27 year old with a long history of persistent unresponsive acne.

..I"ll keep you posted.

Be careful on those antibiotics. Before I started taking Accutane, my doctor put me on different antibiotics to try to clear up my skin, and I was on them for quite a few months. I started getting bacterial infections in my vagina, from the antibiotics killing all of the good bacteria and it growing too much to make up for it. So please do not be surprised if you get one, their harmless, just annoying. Secondly, I know how you feel. I'm 22, and on Accutane right now, but nothing else I've tried has worked my for acne either. Not creams, washes, birth control pills, nothing before Accutane. Accutane has worked for me for most of the pimples, but I am STILL getting the big cysts and it's not helping those at all. So I am literally at wits end with acne as well, we are in the same boat. I would just LOVE to not have acne anymore, I've had it for about 10 years and I would think I would have outgrown it by now. But unfortunately, I think mine is genetic. But good luck to you!

My two cents. I feel your pain. And let me tell you it amazes me how many doctors have such differing opinions on Accutane. I have read many posts on here. I have returned to this site as I too went on Accutane a few years ago and now it is coming back. I have suffered with acne since I was 13. When I went on it my dermatologist was about to retire and she told me she had no problem putting me on accutane she was about to retire, but luckily I was able to go on. She told me all the other dermatologists in her office would not prescribe accutane. I actually appreciated her she really sympathized for me being 28 and still suffering from acne. This was in southern california. I now live in northern california and I recently saw a dermatologist. I would say my acne is mild, but I recently started getting terrible bacne and my face is just congested with pimples that never come fully up and alot of white heads around my chin that never come up. At 31 I have extremely oily skin. Literally an hour after washing it im super greasy all day every day. I too feared not being prescribed accutane. My derm here in nor cal put me on minocycline and it did help some what, but I know once I go off of it it will return. I went back to see her and she agreed with me going back on accutane and actually said she was an advocate for it along with all the dermatolgists in her office. I am starting back on next month. I just want to say I understand your frustration and it is very confusing to that some doctors are pro accutane and others are not. Hang in there maybe going back will help. Good luck.

Thanks for the replies!

I'm calling tomorrow to go back, and try to explain my position again, with a list of everything I've done in the last decade..

I'll keep you guys posted. I'm so anxious and depressed about the possibility about not being able to have access to the one medication that I know can help me (both cystic acne and the neurosis / slight dysmorphia I have developed) even as an adult making an informed decision

On the one hand, I feel lucky that having been on accutane before, I know what the risks and side effects are and I also know that it works for me so I know how to fix the problem. There is hope!

I'll keep you guys posted... Other than that I'm working a lot, and have kind of put parts of my social and romantic life on hold :/

correct me if im wrong, but why cant you see other doctors/dermatologists until one who gives you want you want?

if this is important to you, you need to be persistant. always remember, no doctor is going to be as interested in your body as you are.

Edited by mr_sunshine

Hey, first let me say I understand your pain. I just recently went on Accutane myself in a similar situation.

I had a major reaction to it though and went off and am still suffering with the results from it.

Let me suggest that before you go crazy thinking you need Accutane, you consider why it has come back, even 4 years later! You might have a latent hidden issue you need to deal with.

Look into leaky gut syndrome: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/ACNE-DIET...LE-t101692.html

Accutane suppresses your bodies natural way dealing with an underlying inflammatory issue; its why you still get acne all these years later.

Your long term health probably depends on solving that latent issue, rather than suppressing your body's way of dealing with it. You don't want a chronic disease like crohn's or irritable bowl syndrome because you weren't listening to what your body was saying.

I know you might think this sounds silly, but it's not a wonder that people developing these diseases from Accutane if their underlaying cause was an inflammatory condition stemming from a dysfunctional gut.

The same inflammatory disease that directly can cause acne.

Look into it before you do accutane, please.

Edited by Joshu

Thanks for the advice... I know that there are many factors involved and that most likely accutane courses are doing harm on the body. Nonetheless, I have weighed the decision about the risk of long term side effects versus the strong effect that having acne has on my quality of life and want to do another course.

UPDATE: went back to the gp, exactly 3 weeks after first visit, and this time was a little more firm about wanted a referral to a dermatologist so I could go on another round of accutane. I came ready with a list of everything I have tried since age 14.

She was very empathetic and wrote up the referral immediately -- she also made sure that I had enough topicals, antibiotics, and wrote me a 1 yr prescription to bcp (yasmin) to save me a visit since I would need it on accutane.

The only negative thing is, that I have to wait until October 15 to see the dermatologist now. 1 month waiting list!

In the mean time, since I am on 100mg doxycycline every day, I have slightly changed the regimin to retin A at night, and salicylic acid in the morning with a light salicylic acid peel once a week.

Normally, I have been maintaining since accutane with Dan's regimin. My skin doesn't tolerate salicylic --- the purging causes it to become very inflamed and I break out. However, since I'm on antibiotics the inflammation is somewhat repressed and I'm trying to purge as much as I can before accutane to lessen the IB. It doesn't make it look any better, and my skin is bumpy as hell :/