Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This kind of thing goes back to the days of our great-grandparents, and I want to know your experiences with toothpaste.

I've used toothpaste as a spot treatment before, because it's cheap and easy, and lots of toothpastes contain something called Benyzol Peroxide, which is SUPPOSED to be a major acne fighter. However, I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about this potential treatment, some people saying that instead of helping their acne it just made their skin redder.

I used toothpaste on my acne before, and it seemed to work rather well. I have combination skin that can get really complicated. Certain spots in my T-zone can get very dry, such as the spot between my bottom lip and chin, the crooks of my nose, and the space on my forehead between my eyebrows, while the rest can get very oily. I found that the toothpaste would often work very well. I would put it on a little before bed, let it dry, and then wash it off with lukewarm to cool water. After a while, however, my skin ended up getting worse.

So here's my question: Have you ever tried the toothpaste legend? If you have, did it work?

I have never seen a toothpaste with Benzoyl Peroxide in it.

Yet I have seen it with hydrogen peroxide on the box...are you referring to this?

Other toothpastes have baking soda in it,and even though it's an alkaline it seems to still be popular with some acne sufferers.

If something works for you,use it. All of us seem to respond to different things.

I think some are hesitant to use a lot of toothpastes because of the fluoride in it. I haven't seen any conclusive research as to whether it truly is harmful,but people get scared nonetheless.

That might possibly be what I'm thinking of, I read somewhere that toothpaste contains benzoyl peroxide, but since my mother is usually the supplier of my toothpaste I've never checked any other brands.

I've used it before and I found it to be okay only.

There's also these other additives in toothpaste as OmegaisJaded mentioned such as flouride, so I wouldn't use it.

Toothpaste has hydrogen peroxide, not benzoyl peroxide.

I tried it, and it left a horrible, dark chemical-like burn/bruise on my skin. Seriously, the spot on my chin was purple, almost black for 3 weeks. I will never do that again, and would not recommend anyone try it!