Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
accutaneMe

Weight and Dosage?

hi guys/girls,

I weigh 55-56Kg and currently in my 69 days of Accutane (40mg/day).

so far i haven't noticed any improvement at all (is it normal? :( ) and i feel pretty depressed.

So i was wondering if 40mg/day too low for my weight?..should i ask my dermatologist to increase my dose to 60mg/day(is it too much?).

thanks..

40 mg is a good number for you, but 60mg would definitely not hurt.

I weigh around 58 kg, and I have been on 60mg/day for 60 days.

I have seen some improvement but 3 cysts just popped up. I'm not worried though because most people don't start seeing major improvement until the end of month 3 or 4.

You being on a lower dose could result in it taking longer to achieve results, but you eventually will.

If you ask your derm for a dosage increase, please don't go above 60 mg. A lot of derms try to give people higher dosages than suggested because they think its ok.

yea when you finish your 3rd month, go on 60mg just to make it more effective and kick the acne in to remission hopefully.

I have seen some improvement but 3 cysts just popped up. I'm not worried though because most people don't start seeing major improvement until the end of month 3 or 4.

You being on a lower dose could result in it taking longer to achieve results, but you eventually will.

If you ask your derm for a dosage increase, please don't go above 60 mg. A lot of derms try to give people higher dosages than suggested because they think its ok.

Fred, how long have you been on accutane?..actually i don't mind the small pimples here and there BUT i really hate those big cysts :(

anyway, does your face flush? cause a few of my friends told me that my face looks like a tomato when i laugh or whenever i feel nervous..LOL...i hope this is not a bad sign.

Fred, how long have you been on accutane?..actually i don't mind the small pimples here and there BUT i really hate those big cysts :(

anyway, does your face flush? cause a few of my friends told me that my face looks like a tomato when i laugh or whenever i feel nervous..LOL...i hope this is not a bad sign.

I've been on accutane for exactly 2 months. And yes, my face started flushing about 6 weeks in. Its normal, but for some it doesn't go away even after treatment. Hopefully it does!

When I first started Roac 11 months ago I weighed 61kg and I was put on 40mg/day for about 9 months. The first 6 months I was taking 40mg/day and I knew this was too low because although my acne had slightly cleared, the acne that was coming back weren't big pus-filled ones, they were big massive cysts.

Don't do this lol, but I upped my own dose to 60mg/day for 2 months. One month before I saw my derm I'd go down to 40mg/day. He said that one of the reasons he didn't want to up my dose was because whilst on Roac I had been losing weight (due to avoidance of certain foods because of IBS). I started weighing at 61kg but by the 6th month I weighed 57kg.

Then on my 9th month, my derm wasn't noticing any difference (which is what I've been telling previously but he refused to listen), he finally upped my dose to 60mg/day.

It was only when I started taking 60mg/day that my acne did really clear up. But I wish my derm did that at the beginning because it would have taken my 6 months on Roac rather than 11.

Yes unfortunately for me, I have been put through hell by my ignorant derm for 11 months. I'v searched this whole site for anyone that went longer than 6 months on Roac and I must be the only one.

My advice is (what I should have done earlier) is to try and get your GP to recommend you a different dermatologist. Because they really are all different. Some are too scared to put you on a higher dose straight away due to a myriad of reasons. It is assessed individually obviously but if your dermatologist is good, he will listen to your own observations (noone knows your skin better than you do of course!) and will help you achieve better skin at a shorter amount of time.

Goodluck with your course!

Edited by MissPiggy

When I first started Roac 11 months ago I weighed 61kg and I was put on 40mg/day for about 9 months. The first 6 months I was taking 40mg/day and I knew this was too low because although my acne had slightly cleared, the acne that was coming back weren't big pus-filled ones, they were big massive cysts.

Don't do this lol, but I upped my own dose to 60mg/day for 2 months. One month before I saw my derm I'd go down to 40mg/day. He said that one of the reasons he didn't want to up my dose was because whilst on Roac I had been losing weight (due to avoidance of certain foods because of IBS). I started weighing at 61kg but by the 6th month I weighed 57kg.

Then on my 9th month, my derm wasn't noticing any difference (which is what I've been telling previously but he refused to listen), he finally upped my dose to 60mg/day.

It was only when I started taking 60mg/day that my acne did really clear up. But I wish my derm did that at the beginning because it would have taken my 6 months on Roac rather than 11.

Yes unfortunately for me, I have been put through hell by my ignorant derm for 11 months. I'v searched this whole site for anyone that went longer than 6 months on Roac and I must be the only one.

My advice is (what I should have done earlier) is to try and get your GP to recommend you a different dermatologist. Because they really are all different. Some are too scared to put you on a higher dose straight away due to a myriad of reasons. It is assessed individually obviously but if your dermatologist is good, he will listen to your own observations (noone knows your skin better than you do of course!) and will help you achieve better skin at a shorter amount of time.

Goodluck with your course!

i saw my dermatologist today and guess what?..he upped my dose to 60mg/day (40mg/morning & 20mg/evening) and he said it's safe for me even though i only weigh 55Kg...He also said that if there's an improvement in a month's time he'll lower the dose back to 40mg/day

hopefully i'll see the result soon..wish me luck :)

How are things going for you?

Im guessing you should be finished ?! (:

Edited by ysj123

There's a simple answer to the dosing question so often posed on here. You want to shoot for a dose amount that gets you up to a total dose of 150mg per kilogram of body weight. If you aren't on a high enough dose, your chances of getting acne again are higher. 150mg/kg seems to be the golden amount, according to my dermatologist.

In a nutshell, he told me that your chances of recurrence are statistically diminished the more tane you get in your body, up to an amount of 150mg/kg. Personally, I received 150mg/kg over 5 months of treatment. I finished in October, and I have been completely clear since then. Literally, I have not even had one tiny red mark on my face.

Edit: On this site it says you want to shoot for 100 to 120 mg/kg of body weight. On other sites that are also reputable, 120mg/kg is the minimum recommended. If I can find the study my derm used that stated relapse rates decrease up to a dose of 150mg/kg, I will post it here.

It's easy to calculate your projected dose. Multiply your daily dose in mg by 30, and then by the number of months you plan to be on the accutane (taking into account increases of dose, of course). Then convert your weight to kg if you don't know it, and divide the total mg's of tane by how many kilos you weigh. If you are not anywhere close to the previously stated ballpark numbers, then you are not being treated properly and should talk to your derm about it.

I think everyone on here should do this simple but very important calculation. Accutane is a medicine that only works in a cumulative manner. Words straight from my dermatologist.

Another quick edit: If you find the side effects of that recommended overall dose to be too much, then your should definitely lower your dose. Your derm would agree. However, do know that on a lower dose your chances of getting acne again are much higher. Try to take the amount of tane that helps you reach this threshold. Remember, you can always go back down to a lower dose if you find the normal dose intolerable.

Edited by PolishKid