Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
beama

My Clearlight treatment

Ok so I am starting the new Clearlight treatment next week, I am going to keep a diary here to inform everyone on how it works for me. I am booked in for 10 treatments spread over 5 weeks, once I have finished the treatment I will then get IPL to help reduce the redness and hyperpigmentation.

My Derm couldn't really say if the Clear light would cure me of acne but said it will help, its a new treatment so he wasn't sure how it would work for different people.

I am sick and tired of acne so am prepared to give it a go.

Currently I am generally 90% clear while on the regimen, the Derm said my skin wasn't too bad but I told him if I stop using the BP my skin will get bad again. The 10% of spots I do get are generally large red spots that seems to hang around for a week or two. My first treatment is next Tuesday, the Derm has told me I cannot use the BP while doing the treatment so I am stopping the BP from Sunday night, thats a scary thought.

Anyway, I will post again on Tuesday if not sooner, anyone with questions please do ask.

PS:

http://www.aesthetic.lumenis.com/wt/content/clearlight

This is the website about how Clearlight works and also the IPL treatment for red marks and hyperpigmentation, some quite impressive results I think.

Beama

Ok so I had my first Clearlight treatment today, it went fine, not much to report really.

You just lay on a bed and they put the bright lights about 20 cm from your face and you just lay their for 18 minutes and your done. The light is pretty warm and you walk away feeling quite flushed and hot in the face, it has been about an hour since my treatment and I still feel warm but that is normal for me after being in a warm room etc. I suspect in another hour I will feel normal.

So my next treatment is in two days, the nurse said that I may expereience a breakout between treatment 2 and 5, but this is normal.

I asked if many people were trying this treatment and the nurse said, "heaps". They only have patients up to treatment number 4 right now which is in that breakout stage so she couldn't say there were any success stories yet. This treatment is brand new in New Zealand but the nurse said the results from overseas were very impressive. It is hard to imagine that in 5 weeks I might possibly be free of acne lol.gif

So any questions please do ask, otherwise I will update on Thursday.

Beama

The cost is $600nz which is about $300-400 us I think.

I have pretty mild/moderate acne, not sure what type you would call it, I usually have maybe 4-6 active spots on my face at a time ranging from very small to big huge red spots on my cheeks etc.

I have lots of red marks and hyperpigmentation and generally my face is quite red all over from years of accutane and now the BP.

Anyway, I will keep you posted on how things go.

Beama

Ok so I had my 2nd Clearlight treatment today, nothin real exciting to report, I lay underneath the lights for 18 minutes and that was it.

I have noticed nothing really different with my skin yet apart from it feeling better due to not using the BP anymore, I have only used it sparingly.

I have only had a couple of small spots appear since the treatment began and they are normal spots that I generally always get. If I am going to have a breakout it will happen in the next week between treatments 2 and 5. Fingers crossed I don't get a breakout.

The other good news is my insurance company has agreed to pay for the treatments in full which is great, saves me $600.

Ok so till next Tuesday and my 3rd treatment its good bye.

Beama

Ok so I went for my 3rd Clearlight treatment today, it went fine. I once again lay under the lights for 18 minutes and that was it. Its as easy as that.

There are zero side effects from the Clearlight, I am experiencing a slight breakout at the moment but this is expected between treatment 2 and 5, it is about treatment 5 when results are usually seen. By a breakout I mean I maybe have half a dozen red spots scattered around my face, its not too bad and should only last a week. The spots I have had a slightly irregular as they are in different places to where I would normally get spots, this makes me think the Clearlight is actually doing something.

I have been off the regimen for just over a week now, although I did use the BP a couple of times on the weekend. I think it is fine to use the BP in between Clearlight treatments but just not on the day of treatment.

The nurse told me today the Clearlight kills the bacteria under the skin and it is permanent, I thought it was more of a temporary fix but she insisted that once the bacteria is killed it is dead, this does not mean new bacteria won't form though.

So in summary, 3 treatments done 7 to go and only noticeable difference so far is a slight increase in acne activity. Hopefully this time next week I will be starting to clear.

Any questions please do ask.

Beama

Here's a thread I posted on this subject:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=28200

With regard to my daughter, there was not really any noticeable improvement after three sessions, and I recall she actually seemed to get more acne for a week. This is because the clearlight is killing p acnes inside the follicles and as a result, there is a more rapid surfacing of the killed off acne in follicles. The most improvement seemed to occur between the 5th and 8th treatments with full clearing about two weeks later. She continued the acne.org regimen of benzoil peroxide during the whole time of the treatments as well.

Hang in there. My daughter's treatments were twice a week for four weeks. She is also on Minocycline which the doctor told her to continue even after treatment.

Hazizo, if its not permanent then what would stop you from going back to the Derm every couple of months for a treatment to keep the acne at bay?

Thanks for your post blacksheildog, how long has it been since your daughter finished the Clearlight treatment, is she still clear? Has she had to go back for an extra treatment?

The results sound really promising, I would love to ask you some more questions if you have the time?

Did she use the BP on the days of the Clearlight treatment? Is it safe to use at the same time?

Thanks

Beama

Hi Beama

Glad to help here. My daughter ended the treatments about two months ago. She is still clear. She is on minocycline, but we don't know whether this was necessary. She was on before the treatments and the doctor said to continue, but before clearlight, the min had little effect. We just dont' want to tempt fate here.

She has not had any booster treatment yet. She still gets one or two whiteheads now each week, but they disappear using the regimen, usually overnight or in one day. This now resembles what typcial acne should be, a manageable annoyance.

Yes, she did the morning and night regimen the whole time she was on the clearlight treatment and the doctor said it was fine since the light is not damaging the skin, he thought it was a good idea to keep new breakouts under control.

Unfortuantely, she has some residual redness on her cheeks and scars on her forehead (not caused by the clearlight but there before we started). The doctor said the redness might take six months to clear but will clear more quickly with a treatment of a special laser, I think was called IPL. We did one treatment for the redness and a few specific spot treatments for pockbark scars. But it's only been a few weeks and I can't say if the redness is clearing faster. A few scars look much better now (the laser stimulates collagen from below to come up and fill the scar). This one redness and scar treatment was 400, and maybe two more are needed. Haven't decided yet whether to do more.

Did you have any other questions.

Whats cooking today? This treatment sounds like a breakthrough, and hopefully will give more people hope in the future. Technology, creams, pills and lasers can do alot, but it requires a little bit of courage and hope from the patients side. Don't ever lose sight of who you are, and the acne will never take you. Win the battle, win the war, keep on chugging guys!

Cheers!

MiKeY

Hi

Ok so just returned from my 4th Clearlight. Nothing real exciting this time again. I lay under the light for 18 minutes and that was it, 6 more treatments to go over the next 3 weeks. Zero side effects still.

I am experiencing the flare up, its nothing major infact the spots I am getting are very small and hardly noticeable and they are in irregular places to what I usually get. I have been getting 3-4 spots each day during the flare up. It is a bit of a pain but at least I know the Clearlight is doing something. Chances are the flare up will continue for another 4-7 days and from what I have read I should see some real results (no new acne) by this time next week when I have my 6th treatment.

I am kinda continuing the regimen but only lightly, by that I mean I am not using the BP on the morning of the Clearlight treatment and I am only using it mildly on my problem areas on the night of the day I have the treatment. On other days I am trying to limit the use of BP to my problem areas only at night and maybe on any nasty spots I might have. I am doing it this way because I want to give the Clearlight a chance on its own to see if it works.

I will let you know how I get on with the IPL, it is expensive here to, about $400 nz a treatment, thats about $250 us. Not sure if it will be covered by insurance, it might be as the Clearlight is covered for me. I think I will need 2-3 IPL treatments as my skin is quite red and blotchy (mainly cheeks, chin and nose) after years of acne, acne creams, accutane etc. The Derm has said to wait till after the Clearlight before doing the IPL. I do not have any pit marks, just flat red marks for my scars.

I do have other questions,

Is there anyone else out there who has had Clearlight treatment?

Is your daughter easily sunburnt after the Clearlight or even was she very sensitive to sun burn before the treatments? I burn very easily.

Do you know of other people in your area that have used the Clearight? What are the results like?

Hey, thanks for your help, I will keep posting here regularly.

Beama

Sounds like you are doing OK. No, there were no side effects like sensitivity to light or sunburn. When she was on the retin A, she did have a tendency to burn. No issues with Clearlight. In fact, our doctor encouraged her to get some sun. The only thing that's important is that there is nothing on the skin during treatment that would reflect or limit the exposure to the light. However, if on RetinA, you have to wait a few days since that medication makes skin more sensitive.

The Clearlight treatment was in fact discovered by accident. It was known that those who were in the sun a lot had less acne than those who were not. Also, most people who have acne have less on the left side of their face than the right, because they get more sun on the left when driving! So they assumed something in sunlight was the key. They experimented with various wavelengths until it was determined that the 420nm blue was the most effective wavelength. This is present in normal sunlight, but the downside is that most people would burn to take in enough blue to help.

Sunscreens filter the UV and cut down on the blue as well since it is close to the UV wavelength. UV is closer to 300 nm. Knowing that the blue in natural sunlight helps, it would seem counterproductive to wear sunscreen too much, but that is what most derms tell patients to do! On the otherhand, you don't want to get skin cancer either! Sunscreens are usually a cause of some breakouts too.

So, I am no doctor, but ours said it was OK to get sun in between treatments and to do the regimen. As an aside, I used to notice my daughter got better when we went to the beach and swimming. I initially suspected it was the salt (afterall, salt kills bacteria). So I tried putting on salty washcloths on her face at night (just tablesalt and water). This dried out the acne, but did not eliminate the deep problem sores. It was actually the sun (and I guess the salt water didn't hurt either).

I do not know any other of her friends who had this treatment. Several had accutane with some side effects. The doctor had before and after pictures he showed for 6 clearlight patients and the results were impressive. He said he has treated about 50 people and his practice is growing every day. Clearlight advertises about 70% clearing on average, but this doctor had better results, approaching 90% But like everything in life, there are bound to be exceptions.

My daughter got better than average clearing, and he thinks it might have been the regimen combined with minocycline. He also put her on a special shampoo which seemed to help. Dan's regimen was the most effective thing my daughter did before the clearlight treatment.

The bottom line is that we don't have a controlled experiement, so I cant say what contributed, but I have NO doubt the clearlight worked. We had spent thousands of dollars on every antibiotic and tried every topical without much success.

Glad to hear your insurance covers this. In the US, most insurance does not cover acne treatment, according to my doctor, unless it is a prescription.

Went for my 5th Clearlight treatment today, it was good.

I am starting to notice some improvement in the texture of my skin, kind of a more even skin tone. I am still breaking out, only very slightly but it is still annoying me, I have mayb half a dozen active spots right now, mainly on my cheeks and some little ones on my forehead. The ones on my cheeks are just mainly flat red marks, kinda weird looking.

The nurse said today that some people are showing real good improvement so far and they are at their 5 or 6th treatments and said my skin has definitely improved also. I have 5 more treatments to go, I expect to see more continued improvement by the end of this week, if i don't i will be disappointed.

Overall though I think the Clearlight is working and I am very hopeful that by the time I finish my 10th treatment in 2 and a half weeks I wil be well on my way to being clear.

Beama

Hi -

I had my last clearlight treatment today (although am booked in for a maintenance treatment in six weeks and another six weeks after that). Overall I think the treatment was effective in controlling much of my active acne, although this week I had a few unexpected attacks on my cheeks (but that could be hormonal, that time of the month).

I am not sure long term how it will help control the acne, I am hoping I can report fairly clear skin in a few weeks. In the meantime I am back on the regime and using retin a on those active spots. I am also booked in for a micro dermabrasion in a few days to help even out my skin tone and hopefully reduce some faint red and brown marks.

And I'm very much looking forward to the warmer weather in a few months because despite all the warnings, the sun is the only thing that EVER effectively cleared up my acne and evened out my tone. I will of course ensure I don't over do it, but I think a little time in the sun does the world of good!

good to hear. I recommend you continue the regimen, as that has effectively controlled my daughters once or twice a week whiteheads that still occur, but they dissappear overnight. I would like to hear how your dermabrasion works out.

Treatment number 6 done today. tongue.gif

I am starting to see some small results however they are not as good as I had hoped for this point. The smaller spots are starting to get under control now which is great however the larger red spots I get on my cheeks are still causing me my problems. I have a nasty spot on my left cheek that is a 2 spots in 1 and also a big spot on my right side that I foulishly had a pick at last night. I also have a scattering of other minor spots and a couple on my neck which I think are from shaving. The new breakouts have not really subsided yet and each day I awake to a couple of new spots.

The clearlight is definitely doing something but so far it has really only done bad things to my skin, I am hoping and praying that now I am over half way through I should start seeing some results and some clearing.

Blacksheildog, at what point did your daughter stop having constant new breakouts?

Beama

sorry about the delay in answering. I was out of town. She continued to get breakouts during the treatment and it seems like it was only after the last few treatments that more consistent clearing began. The doctor said that as the clearlight killed the deep down bacteria, it would appear she would get more breakouts.

Let me ask you, are you doing the regimen? Are you taking any antibiotics? She is (and was, before the treatment) on minocin and she did the regimen twice a day (morning and night). It may be you need an antibiotic as a booster. I can't say what might have happened if she did not take the min or do the regimen, so talk to your doctor about the other things to back up the clearlight treatment. Also, we had her get lots of sun during the treatments which also helped.

The benzoil peroxide 2.5% she is using for the is neutrogena brand. She did not have good luck with other brands.

Hi

Treatment number 7 today.

Heres where I am at with my skin. The clearlight has been making me breakout alot worse than normal so I began the regimen again twice a day about 5 days ago now and my skin has improved alot. I have only a couple of smaller active spots now but do have alot of harsh red marks from the past few weeks of breaking out. It will most likely take a couple of weeks for these marks to fade somewhat.

So in summary for the clearlight, it has really only made me breakout, but since I started doing the regimen again this has subsided. Is the clearlight doing anything for me? I dunno, right now I would say its not doing much but once I finish the treatments next week that will be the test to see if I get some clearing in the weeks following the last treatment.

blacksheiladog, I was not doing the regimen until 5 days ago, now I am doing it twice a day and it has improved my skin alot. The drynes sucks but I can cope with it for clear skin.

No I am not taking antiboitoics, I was taking B5 for over a year with good results but stopped a couple of months ago as I thought it wasn't really doing much for me. I will most likely start taking the B5 again once i finish the clearlight as I think the B5 did help, especially with my problem areas.

Beama

Treatment number 8 today.

I don't think the clearlight is doing much for my skin, maybe just creating new spots if anything. i am doing the regimen still and my skin has improved alot since I started it again last week.

I am getting a couple of spots still but this should subside once the get a few weeks into the regimen and also once I finish the clearlight which will be this time next week. I do expect to see some improvement after the clearlight as i have heard of people getting improvement in the weeks after the clearlight finishes.

So two treatments to go, will see what happens in the next week.

Beama