Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
memyselfand1

Is my regmen overkill? Any suggestions/ comments appreciated!

Hi! I'm 24 yrs old and I've never had to deal with acne as a teenager. It started to flare up just a few years ago. I think my main problem is clogged pores--I've had blackheads on my nose for as long as I can remember. The only other area I get clogged pores/ and mild acne is on my cheeks. I'm on a mission to get my skin clear (as we all are!) so I've been trying some new products. I know that you are supposed to wait at least a month to see any changes, but what do you guys think? I might be overdoing it, but like I said I'm on a mission and I'm taking no prisoners! :) Any changes/recommendations that I can use as far as products are concerned (adding or taking things out of my regimen?) Thanks so much!

AM:

SkinMedica Purifying face wash

SkinMedica purifying toner

SkinMedica acne lotion

PM:

Pond's Cold Cream~ as a make up remover if I wore foundation during the day

SkinMedica Purifying face wash with my Clarisonic

SkinMedica purifying toner

Olay firming night cream (my skin has been a little dry, so I use this instead of the acne lotion at night)

To exfoliate, I use Beyond Belief Pore Refining Facial Scrub

Oh, I've also been reading great things about tea tree oil, do you guys think that I can incorporate it anywhere, maybe add it to my toner?

The supplements that I've been taking are women's one a day, 50 mg of zinc, and fish oil capsules.

Edited by amski09

All of those harsh chemicals in those acne cleansers/medications only make your acne worse. Have you ever thought of switching to natural/organic skincare?

I actually have thought about it. I already bought the SkinMedica system and it was kind of expensive so I figured once I'm done with that and if I see no results I definitely want to try something more natural. I've read a lot about tea tree oil, jojoba oil, and which hazel. Something I'm very interested in trying!

One thing I have learned is that using more products does not mean you are going to be getting rid of your acne problem any issue. Have you tried Dan's regimen or thought about it at all?

I did try it a few weeks ago and I was doing it for a little while but it dried out my skin so bad! I even put moisturizer on top of the BP after it dried and everything. It also made my foundation go on kind of weird. I read that the SnimMedica system is supposed to be gentle, but I'm not sure if it's working yet. It's only been a week so it's too soon to tell. Does Dan's regimen get rid of clogged pores (blackheads/whiteheads)?

Edited by amski09

I find that adding four to five drops of jojoba oil to my face wash works as a really good makeup remover, probably the best makeup remover I have ever used. Tea tree oil is best used alone, but diluted with water if it is 100%. After I have spritz toner on my face and after it has dried, I put diluted tea tree oil on my face and wait for that to dry and soak in as well (about 5 minutes). I have heard that egg white masks really help with extracting whiteheads and blackheads. (My friend uses an egg white mask once a week and has experienced less breakouts.) Egg white mask tutorial:

If you do not want to use an egg white mask, there are also deep cleansing masks that you can get at stores that help to unclog congested pores to help to prevent blackheads. I use Nude Deep Cleansing Mask once a week, but it is rather costly. Boots Botanics Conditioning Mask, which runs about $9, I use on my nose once a week, and it helps to unclog pores as well. Stay away from Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque, though.

Edited by youyesyou

I find that adding four to five drops of jojoba oil to my face wash works as a really good makeup remover, probably the best makeup remover I have ever used. Tea tree oil is best used alone, but diluted with water if it is 100%. After I have spritz toner on my face and after it has dried, I put diluted tea tree oil on my face and wait for that to dry and soak in as well (about 5 minutes). I have heard that egg white masks really help with extracting whiteheads and blackheads. (My friend uses an egg white mask once a week and has experienced less breakouts.) Egg white mask tutorial:

If you do not want to use an egg white mask, there are also deep cleansing masks that you can get at stores that help to unclog congested pores to help to prevent blackheads. I use Nude Deep Cleansing Mask once a week, but it is rather costly. Boots Botanics Conditioning Mask, which runs about $9, I use on my nose once a week, and it helps to unclog pores as well. Stay away from Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque, though.

What's wrong with Queen Helene?I happen to think it's one of the best masks ever for people with acne. Just curious.

I actually have thought about it. I already bought the SkinMedica system and it was kind of expensive so I figured once I'm done with that and if I see no results I definitely want to try something more natural. I've read a lot about tea tree oil, jojoba oil, and which hazel. Something I'm very interested in trying!

Witch Hazel can be good, but it isn't always all natural. There is alcohol in witch hazel which will only make acne worse. Tea tree oil works well too, but always remember to dillute it with water or it could end up doing more damage than good. I broke out horribly from it even though I dilluted it, but it may work for other people. Never tried jojoba oil. I'll have to look into it.

I just bought some tea tree oil today and I added 2 drops to my toner. I loved the way my skin felt after, but man, does that stuff stink!!!!!

Uh oh I just used that mask today! I was cleaning out my cabinet and I found it in there. Did you get a bad reaction to it? I was thinking about eventually trying some type of acid peels to do at home. I'm having the hardest time trying to get rid of these blackheads. It's like they are permanently glued to my skin! Had them for as long as I can remember...