Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I started getting acne around 9 years old and it got worse into my teenage years. Not thinking of the damage it would do later in life, I always picked at my pimples or popped them and I am now 34 years old and left with acne scars that literally make me cry when I remove my makeup. I don't have ice pick scars or anything, just lots of hyperpigmentation. I've tried for years to be patient hoping something would make them go away. I've tried almost every acne remedy I can think of because I do still get breakouts. Salicylic acid, benzoyl, vitamin e, shea butter, cocoa butter, lemon juice, aloe vera....you name it I've tried it. Nothing helps and at the end of the day I look in the mirror and still see ugly. I've recently switched to more natural/organic skincare instead of putting all of that harsh, store bought crap that doesn't work on my face and I can say my acne has lessened a bit, but it's still there, just like the scars that will probably never go away. After 25 years of dealing with pimples and scars, my self esteem gets lower and lower with each new pimple and each new scar. Pimples eventually go away, but I was wondering if anyone has a home remedy for acne scars? Lemon juice, aloe vera, baking soda...none of them worked for me. Help.

I'm a little older than you (40) and I totally hear you. I've been dealing with the acne, scarring, and hyperpigmentation for a while. I JUST started a new treatment, elos, which is a light therapy. Since I've only done one treatment, I don't know how it's going to ultimately turn out, but at this point, I can see that the hyperpigmentation is beginning to fade.

I will admit that it gets worse before it gets better. The light seems to "burn" the hyperpigmented areas so that they appear darker at first and then those cells slough off to expose normally pigmented skin. And it is a painful procedure. You can use numbing cream, but you need to get that as a prescription that's extra. (I didn't have it for my first treatment, so I assume it won't be quite so bad the second session.) But I'm happy with it thus far. It's also pretty expensive and isn't covered by insurance, unless there's a dermatologist in your area who does this procedure and knows how to code it so that the insurance company will cover it. I'm getting mine done at a medical spa.

I plan to post updates on the treatment ratings board as I go along.

I'm a little older than you (40) and I totally hear you. I've been dealing with the acne, scarring, and hyperpigmentation for a while. I JUST started a new treatment, elos, which is a light therapy. Since I've only done one treatment, I don't know how it's going to ultimately turn out, but at this point, I can see that the hyperpigmentation is beginning to fade.

I will admit that it gets worse before it gets better. The light seems to "burn" the hyperpigmented areas so that they appear darker at first and then those cells slough off to expose normally pigmented skin. And it is a painful procedure. You can use numbing cream, but you need to get that as a prescription that's extra. (I didn't have it for my first treatment, so I assume it won't be quite so bad the second session.) But I'm happy with it thus far. It's also pretty expensive and isn't covered by insurance, unless there's a dermatologist in your area who does this procedure and knows how to code it so that the insurance company will cover it. I'm getting mine done at a medical spa.

I plan to post updates on the treatment ratings board as I go along.

I wish that I had money to get treatments done on my scars, but I don't. That's why I was looking for home remedies. I hope your course of treatment works for you. You'd think we would've been rid of these problems years ago, huh?

Hey there,

Well, I can't exactly relate because I don't have adult acne, but I have dealt with hyperpigmentation and am still dealing with it, though my PIH is pretty near faded at this point.

I understand how much of a total mindfuck they are because you get used to seeing them day after day and can't really gauge their progress.

As for treating PIH: I would avoid home remedies all together because there IS no magic cure, and mentally, you're setting yourself up for disaster every time you rub some weird thing on your face. Certain items available in grocery stores like lemons ARE helpful, but you need to use them in the right way. Greentiger87 has some good posts on this.

However, I think your best bet would be TCA peels or alpha hydroxy lotions (AHA). I use the latter and have found that time, plus nightly use, has nearly faded my marks. Mine have only been around for a few months and will be gone soon, so we have a different situation.

Since yours have been around for a while, though, I'd say look into TCA peels. As far as I know they are reasonably affordable and you can do them at home.

I hope any of that helped. Good luck on your path to clear skin!