Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ClemensA

Moral Implications of Having Children

Seeing as most of the causes are genetic - approx. 90% acne, 10% everything else -

Seeing as most of us with moderate to severe acne suffer so much psychological trauma. Some, like me, for more than a decade.

Is it morally right for us to have children? If we know that they, too, will suffer?

Good point. However, just because you have acne doesn't mean your children will. I believe that acne is caused largely by poor diet. So this means that even if you have the genetic disposition to have acne when you grow up, you can still make a difference by changing your diet.

We humans are meant to die. We are not immortals. Just be glad that you have acne, a non-detrimental disease, rather than a disease like cancer. Perhaps, that's how you're meant to grow. We suffer because we learn from our suffering.

I'm just glad personally that I have acne rather than luekemia. My friend died from leukemia in high school. He never had acne. His face never had scars from acne unlike me. However, before we graduated, he died from leukemia, which we never really found out he had until he came back from chemo.

So just be thankful it's just acne. And don't ever worry about your children having acne. You may be responsible for their lives, but they are responsible for what kind of lifestyle they will have.

I will have children someday. But I don't worry about them having acne because I know they can have a better lifestyle than me. It's my responsibility to show them how to live a healthy lifestyle. But they're have to live their own lives, not me.

So don't feel bad my friend.

Good point. However, just because you have acne doesn't mean your children will. I believe that acne is caused largely by poor diet. So this means that even if you have the genetic disposition to have acne when you grow up, you can still make a difference by changing your diet.

We humans are meant to die. We are not immortals. Just be glad that you have acne, a non-detrimental disease, rather than a disease like cancer. Perhaps, that's how you're meant to grow. We suffer because we learn from our suffering.

I'm just glad personally that I have acne rather than luekemia. My friend died from leukemia in high school. He never had acne. His face never had scars from acne unlike me. However, before we graduated, he died from leukemia, which we never really found out he had until he came back from chemo.

So just be thankful it's just acne. And don't ever worry about your children having acne. You may be responsible for their lives, but they are responsible for what kind of lifestyle they will have.

I will have children someday. But I don't worry about them having acne because I know they can have a better lifestyle than me. It's my responsibility to show them how to live a healthy lifestyle. But they're have to live their own lives, not me.

So don't feel bad my friend.

Suffering can lead to growth, but I think it's a bit naive to have a romanticised, Nietzschean, or existentialist view of our struggle with acne - most days you wake up and it's just frickin' annoying and depressing. I agree with you that cancer and other terminal conditions are worse, but I think that acne is still bad - I'm getting a bit fed up with people downplaying the effects. It's not helpful to any of us.

For the record, I am pretty sure that it has nothing to do with diet. For the past seven years, I have been eating an extremely healthy, balanced diet. I eat a lot of fruit. I drink a lot of bottled water. Always have done. I drink hardly any coffee. One or two glasses of wine. That's it. SO I'm pretty sure that it has nothing to do with diet. I've noticed that my acne goes from bad to non-existent to dreadful to ok in the spaces of days or weeks, without any change in diet. I exercise half an hour every day, outdoors. I take multivitamins. Seriously, it has nothing to do with diet or lifestyle. I know people that have cocaine problems that have skin like a baby, alcoholics too.

I think it would ultimately be more moral if people suffering from acne adopted children, rather than having their own. Because the psychological impact of acne, though it's not a terminal condition, is permanent. You can't do that to a person.

i'm sorry but that's just pessimistic thinking. i think you my friend are so worried about how you look that you can't accept what you have. i know that acne is terrible. i feel that too. in fact i always worry about my scars and acne everyday. however, i think you are going a little overboard with the thought that you won't have children because you have acne. in a way that's kind of selfishness.

try to change your diet more. don't eat red meat for a while. don't eat any meat at all. try it for a weak and tell me if you still break out.

you will see a great difference. but i cannot help you think more optimistically about your life. so i cannot really help you with that. however, you can.

don't worry. it will end soon. all our suffering will be gone in a matter of time. i find it that once i accept my acne and scarring, i feel more confident about life.

so if you can accept your condition, then that's what you should do.

and also, we don't always inherit what our parents have. remember, we have a father and a mother and they give us two sets of genes. it's all about luck in that process. but please don't think that way.

Just get your kids on a good regimen when they hit puberty.

I was on a fairly good regimen at the age of 13, when my acne broke out. I've been on medication, regimens etc. ever since. Nothing has worked. And my acne doesn't qualify as being "bad enough" for accutane.

I don't eat much red meat at all.

don't eat meat at all. try a vegetarian diet. eat beans more to replace the proteins the meat have. eat more fish. sardines, tilapia...

colder showers.

you will feel much better.

I've actually thought about this many, many times throughout my life. Now, I guess I have been enlightened and decided I will for sure have kids if I am giving the option and can afford to give them a very decent life. I am not willing to have a bunch of kids if I am not able to provide for them. I've been put through this all my life and this has for sure worsened my acne, stress, etc.

Aside from that...I know I have genes for bad acne but I think I can prevent them from being passed on to my children. Genes for your children are mainly depicted by what you EAT and DO during your pregnancy. I believe that I could possibly eat healthy and well enough to have my child be healthy and not born with chemicals or anything else going into his/her body.

If this fails I think teaching my kids to eat healthy while they are young will also be included in the package. I'm not going to allow my children to eat sugar with everything. Nothing needs sugar to taste good and if you teach them when they are young, you can shelter them from a world of junk. Plus, when they do taste something really sweet like a candy bar...I'm hoping it will be almost too sweet to tolerate. People might think that's deprivation but I think living a lifestyle with minimal junk is optimal. I'm not going to make any of the mistakes that my parents made.

i saluet you chey. i wish you were my parents right now. currently i'm on a pescatarian diet and my parents think i'm crazy. but you however for sure will have healthy children.

i salute you.

don't eat meat at all. try a vegetarian diet. eat beans more to replace the proteins the meat have. eat more fish. sardines, tilapia...

colder showers.

you will feel much better.

Colder showers?

My derm. told me that it is better to have hot showers, because then you can shave in the shower, and you can open up clogged pores...

You could say that about anything else. You can say 'should a person with depression/anxiety/family history of cancer/OCD, etc. have children?' There's so many things that can be passed down to children and if people didn't have kids for that reason, then a lot of people wouldn't have kids. Some people can have none of these problems and have kids and end up being bad parents anyway and raise messed up kids. It's complicated.

I've actually thought about this many, many times throughout my life. Now, I guess I have been enlightened and decided I will for sure have kids if I am giving the option and can afford to give them a very decent life. I am not willing to have a bunch of kids if I am not able to provide for them. I've been put through this all my life and this has for sure worsened my acne, stress, etc.

Aside from that...I know I have genes for bad acne but I think I can prevent them from being passed on to my children. Genes for your children are mainly depicted by what you EAT and DO during your pregnancy. I believe that I could possibly eat healthy and well enough to have my child be healthy and not born with chemicals or anything else going into his/her body.

If this fails I think teaching my kids to eat healthy while they are young will also be included in the package. I'm not going to allow my children to eat sugar with everything. Nothing needs sugar to taste good and if you teach them when they are young, you can shelter them from a world of junk. Plus, when they do taste something really sweet like a candy bar...I'm hoping it will be almost too sweet to tolerate. People might think that's deprivation but I think living a lifestyle with minimal junk is optimal. I'm not going to make any of the mistakes that my parents made.

If you feel that you can stop the acne, then by all means go ahead. But I live very healthily. My mother had terrible acne when she was pregnant with me, she was vegetarian, and did not drink. I'm highly sceptical of this diet thing, simply because I eat a Mediterranean diet with lots of veg, fruit, fish, olive oil etc.

You could say that about anything else. You can say 'should a person with depression/anxiety/family history of cancer/OCD, etc. have children?'

Agreed. Should they?

Obviously it is complicated - nature vs. nurture. Neuroscience, with new discoveries of plasticity and neurogenesis, further complicating the debate. But I feel that it would be more moral to adopt if there was a high probability that your child was going to end up with any debilitating condition, whether that be acne, depression, anxiety etc.

don't even trust dermatologists. they don't know anything at all. they will give you drugs that will only get rid of the sysptoms, but not the internal problem.

cold showers dry up the acne you have, however it doesn't prevent acne. it's the food you eat that will prevent acne.

cold showers will only shrink your acne. if you continue taking it, it will get rid of it like a medication. however it doesn't prevent it.

the prevention method is the most difficult to find. so i believe it's the food you eat.

my friend has flawless skin. she eats sugary food. however, she barely eats red meat. and her skin is freakin flawless.

I believe everyone is different in the cause of their acne. As we know some people can eat/do whatever they want and not get acne but you might not realize that their problems from this lifestyle will most likely show up later in life probably with worse consequences. Acne is more of a warning sign.

If you feel that you can stop the acne, then by all means go ahead. But I live very healthily. My mother had terrible acne when she was pregnant with me, she was vegetarian, and did not drink. I'm highly sceptical of this diet thing, simply because I eat a Mediterranean diet with lots of veg, fruit, fish, olive oil etc.

The way I see it as acne isn't caused by diet alone...not everyone can cure it by eating a healthy, balanced diet. I believe acne is just an outward symptom of some problem deeper inside of your body. The reason healthy diets might not work is because you might need extra supplementation of certain vitamins/minerals, you might have a food sensitivity to a food that may be perfectly healthy to other people but detrimental to your body. Mainly a lot of gut problems can cause acne..specifically candida for myself. There could be other reasons I'm sure, but I don't know for sure. Obviously acne wasn't a problem a long time ago. Basically all the pollutions we are exposed to now have given us acne. I think everyone can control/end their battle with acne but it takes time and effort. Some people even resort to accutane and if you can't find anything else that works...maybe it's worth a try. I'm hoping diet changes and healthy lifestyle would be enough to at least keep acne under decent control, though.

1. I take supplements and multivitamins. Have been for a number of years.

2. I have checked for allergies, experimented. There are no causal links to be found. My skin just breaks out, then it calms down, then maybe a more severe break out etc. It's just an interminable cycle, without reason or rhyme.

3. I cannot get accutane. In my country, you need to go to serious lengths in order to get it. You have to have very severe acne. This is because the side effects of accutane are horrible, and the stuff can be really dangerous.

I mean not to offend you, but I have had acne for 12 years. I have taken the time, made the effort. But it is a battle than I cannot win.

See, this is one of the things that I'd feel selfish for - having a child even though there's a chance it could inherit my acne. But one of my dreams is being a mother (the issues delve deeper than just that, but I won't get into reasons why) and I don't think I could give up my dream just because acne stands in my way. No way.

Is it morally right to want to have a child even though you have acne? I'd say yes. It's not like we're crackheads giving birth to a drug addicted baby. This is something you can't help, and I don't think something like acne should define whether or not we can have children.

=)

See, this is one of the things that I'd feel selfish for - having a child even though there's a chance it could inherit my acne. But one of my dreams is being a mother (the issues delve deeper than just that, but I won't get into reasons why) and I don't think I could give up my dream just because acne stands in my way. No way.

Is it morally right to want to have a child even though you have acne? I'd say yes. It's not like we're crackheads giving birth to a drug addicted baby. This is something you can't help, and I don't think something like acne should define whether or not we can have children.

=)

If you are concerned to be a mother, why not adopt? And I do think that all debilitating orders can impact on the well-being of a child. In the case of acne, its emergence coincides with so many formative experiences. Of course, we should be more concerned to adopt children people overpopulation is an issue. But that's another matter entirely!

1. I take supplements and multivitamins. Have been for a number of years.

2. I have checked for allergies, experimented. There are no causal links to be found. My skin just breaks out, then it calms down, then maybe a more severe break out etc. It's just an interminable cycle, without reason or rhyme.

3. I cannot get accutane. In my country, you need to go to serious lengths in order to get it. You have to have very severe acne. This is because the side effects of accutane are horrible, and the stuff can be really dangerous.

I mean not to offend you, but I have had acne for 12 years. I have taken the time, made the effort. But it is a battle than I cannot win.

I'm sorry you haven't found any way to cure your acne :(

I don't know what to tell you. I wish I knew more about acne. I wish there was some kind of school to educate people about acne so that we'd have doctors who actually know how to fix this. Do you stress a lot? I know acne is often caused by a combination of things. I hope you won't give up just yet. There's always something else that you haven't tried. I know you might feel like there's nothing but people find relief in other products/herbs also. There are so many trials and success stories and failures on this site that it makes you frustrated. I do agree the side effects of accutane are horrible and a lot of people who go on it shouldn't be on it but it does work for some people and sometimes that means more than anything to them. There's always something though...I know it's a pain in the ass to keep trying new things though. I know how you feel however I didn't suffer as long but I instead am now dealing with health problems from acne treatments when I'd rather be dealing with acne...

If you are concerned to be a mother, why not adopt? And I do think that all debilitating orders can impact on the well-being of a child. In the case of acne, its emergence coincides with so many formative experiences. Of course, we should be more concerned to adopt children people overpopulation is an issue. But that's another matter entirely!

I thought adoption lists were very long and it takes years to be able to adopt?

Edited by CheyCheyenne

I'm not concerned to be a mother... adoption just wouldn't be for me, I think. I just hope that if the child does end up having acne, it will learn to look past it like I have.

I'm sorry you haven't found any way to cure your acne :(

I don't know what to tell you. I wish I knew more about acne. I wish there was some kind of school to educate people about acne so that we'd have doctors who actually know how to fix this. Do you stress a lot? I know acne is often caused by a combination of things. I hope you won't give up just yet. There's always something else that you haven't tried. I know you might feel like there's nothing but people find relief in other products/herbs also. There are so many trials and success stories and failures on this site that it makes you frustrated. I do agree the side effects of accutane are horrible and a lot of people who go on it shouldn't be on it but it does work for some people and sometimes that means more than anything to them. There's always something though...I know it's a pain in the ass to keep trying new things though. I know how you feel however I didn't suffer as long but I instead am now dealing with health problems from acne treatments when I'd rather be dealing with acne...

I do not stress. I live a peaceful, solitary existence. I realise that millions worldwide are ensnared in wars, floods, famine, and anarchy. Many others are terminally or critically ill. So I ought not to be too concerned. But, on reflection, it is difficult - it's written all over one's face. The annoying thing about mine is that it moves very rapidly from mild, to moderate, sometimes to severe, in a strange cycle. I do not exaggerate, but I can move from mild to moderate/severe in the space of three days. Without prodding and touching.

I thought adoption lists were very long and it takes years to be able to adopt?

It depends. Some states are stricter than others. I know that it is not too difficult in parts of Europe, Asia, and Africa.

I'm not concerned to be a mother... adoption just wouldn't be for me, I think. I just hope that if the child does end up having acne, it will learn to look past it like I have.

My mistake. I thought that one of your dreams was to be a mother. Adoption is not for everyone. Outcomes differ with regards acne; it affects different people in different ways. Severe and moderate acne can be very difficult to deal with, and I do know of at least two individuals that committed suicide in their teens as a consequence of severe acne. Not the right course of action, by any means - but the psychological damage involved is genuine.

My mistake. I thought that one of your dreams was to be a mother. Adoption is not for everyone. Outcomes differ with regards acne; it affects different people in different ways. Severe and moderate acne can be very difficult to deal with, and I do know of at least two individuals that committed suicide in their teens as a consequence of severe acne. Not the right course of action, by any means - but the psychological damage involved is genuine.

It is, but I do see where that implicates being concerned to be one..?

And yes, I agree about the psychological damage it can do to people - otherwise why would any of us even be here today? But with the knowledge gained from being at this site for the two years I have been, I think I could help ease the process being a mother.

But of course that's assuming. But I still don't think I'll let the acne win. :)

It is, but I do see where that implicates being concerned to be one..?

And yes, I agree about the psychological damage it can do to people - otherwise why would any of us even be here today? But with the knowledge gained from being at this site for the two years I have been, I think I could help ease the process being a mother.

But of course that's assuming. But I still don't think I'll let the acne win. :)

Semantics. "Concerned to be []" or "concerned with being []" implies intentionality with respect to the end in mind. Conversely, negation of above implies intentionality with respect to not having an end in mind.