Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
girlsjustwannahavefun_415

Need help on asking for Accutane :/

Hello everyone :cool:

I have a question for people that has acne like me and thier trying to get on accutane. If you have any stories on how you begged your dermatologist to put you on it, or trick, tips anything.. I would gladly appriciate it!

How far did you go to get on it?

Or anything accutane realated would be awesome :razz:

I've asked about 4 derms before and they all turned me down...

Edited by girlsjustwannahavefun_415

If your derm is hesitant, tell him how much acne is affecting your life. Tell him you've tried everything else and you just want to be acne free.

Edited by zdub2009

Really? I told my whole story and before I could as what she recommends she said, "You're the picture perfect candidate for Accutane..."

I don't think there's a "trick". Just tell them the truth and how your acne affects you.

Hi there

Sorry to hear about your acne struggle. However, if 4 different Derms have turned you down, it is likely they do not view you as having 'severe acne' - of which isotretinoin (Accutane etc) is only supposed to be prescribed for. It is not approved for anything but severe, scarring type acne because of the high health risks associated with this drug. Unfortunetly long term side effects are actually not that unusual, e.g. hair loss, joint pain, muscle pain, Rosacea, Irritable Bowel. Hence, the medical professionals have weighed up the the pros against the risks for you, and decided against prescribing it because your acne is not severe enough to justify the treatment.

Looking at the pics- it looks like you would probably be better suited to antibiotic treatment such as long-term Doxycycline. A Derm or GP could also prescribe a topical treatment, and this way you'll tackle the acne from both external and internal avenues. I'm sure a Derm would discuss options like these with you.

Best, Shantelle

Edited by Shantelle

serendipitylust - Hello :) Thanks for the reply! The problem is with the derm I'm seeing now, he doesnt listen.. the whole appointment is about 5mins and everytime I would ask him a question, he doesnt answer me back. I know, its time for a new derm :/ It's hard to find ones that listen.

Are you currently on Accutane? Or finished? :P

Shantelle - Hey, thanks for replying. Yeah I know my acne isnt the worse case, but I've tried many thing. I've tried antibioctics before for about 3-4 months and It did absolutely nothing. I've also tried many topical like, Retin A (Which I hate with all my heart), other generic brands for Retin A, Benzaclin, Epiduo, good ol Benzoyl Peroxide, SA.. there's more but im kinda brain dead right now :/ Oh yeah, birth control which made my hormones crazy, natural mask, diet, vitamins and I tried the "caveman regimen". Im sure there are tons more that I've tried... I dont even want to go into the OTC products! lol I kinda feel like im out of options....Anyways, Thanks for the suggestions :)

Judging by the pics, it looks like you should be on accutane. Keep trying more derms. One of them should put you on. It does not look like you have cystic acne, but you have prob more than average of normal kind. You did not say you tried Dan's regime. Try it - its not just 'good ol BP'. There is more to it. It works.

nitemare - Hellooo :) Thanks for the reply. I forgot to put that, but i've tried it before for about 2 months... and yet no difference. I think im immune to BP, and ever since Tretinoin, my skin had thinned out and using BP on it stings like a bee sting :/ It stucks. I do have cystic acne but I only get a few a month, thier usually on my cheeks and I've just recovered from some which took 3 months to come to the surface :doubt: Im going to try out more derms, I've got a list for about 15 of them in my city, so I'll start calling tommorrow. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

serendipitylust - Hello :) Thanks for the reply! The problem is with the derm I'm seeing now, he doesnt listen.. the whole appointment is about 5mins and everytime I would ask him a question, he doesnt answer me back. I know, its time for a new derm :/ It's hard to find ones that listen.

Are you currently on Accutane? Or finished? :P

I just had my first pregnancy test a few weeks ago, so I have another two-ish weeks before I get my blood work done. Once I have a second negative pregnancy test and get my blood checked, then they'll put me on it. So I haven't started it just yet. I'm really nervous though with all these warnings going around... I just hope I get the better end of the deal with NO long-lasting side-effects...

=\

All you have to do is just be honest with your derm, explain your story/situation and say that you'd really like to go on accutane.

Try it :]

serendipitylust - Wow, just try to keep optimistic! :) I know some good things will def turn up. I wish you the best! lol ..but what kinda warnings are you nervous about? Did your derm prescribe you your dosage yet? Or do you have any clue what your dosage is? I'm scared of the long-lasting side-effects also... especially flushing... :/ I guess you will always have to sacrafice something for something you want.. bleh. Are you going to start a log? :)

Jxr - Okie dokie, I'll give that a shot! He better listen to me haha :surprised: . Thanks for the help :P

honestly...just sincerely ask!

let him/her know how it is seriously effecting your overall quality of life

today i got prescribed accutane...and at first he started saying ok maybe we can try differen, or tazorac...i let him finish what he was saying...and then simply said "dr i really respect your opinion and appreciate your help, but ive thought about it and the only thing i want to try at this point is accutane. i understand the side effects and i want to it"

if theyre good hearted they'll put you on it.

my doctor understood where i was coming from, and really knew how much it meant to me.

make sure you tell them how you feel! and dont back down!

noto214, your reply puts me as ease :) I feel so much better, I really do! Thank you! :D

Are you going to start a Accutane log? Hehe

no problem. trust me if theres anyone that knows about being upset about my skin its me. god i look awful right now, but i just keep trying to think...in a few months hopefully this will all be behind me.

and yes, im gonna be one of the accutane bloggers. i figure hey, its gonna be a little bit of a journey which is gonna hopefully change my attitude on life, so i may as well document it to look back on. and of course help others.

but feel free to add me as a friend or message me, if not ill try and remember to let you know when im starting. most likely tuesday of this coming week.

That sounds so frustrating! I would just keep trying different derms until you can find one who understands your situation. Maybe ask the one you have now if he could refer you to someone else if he's not willing to give you accutane. Yes accutane is for severe acne but it is also used as a last resort for moderate acne that hasn't responded to any other treatments so if you've tried everything I dont see why they would say no? I was really lucky with mine she just looked at me and was like "you should try accutane!" I've heard that in the US a lot of derms avoid prescribing accutane because they don't want to deal with all the paperwork that goes a long with it but I'm not sure how true that is. Good luck though!

I would call and ask the receptionist before your appt if the Dr prescribes a lot of accutane. My new derm told me that even some derms are not prescribing accutane anymore because in the US they have to be certified with Ipledge and it is very time consuming for them. I was also charged an extra $50 accutane fee to start me on it because of the extra time they have to spend registering me in Ipledge. This is my 4th time on Accutane and I can't believe how crazy it is to get it now!

Anyway, I would first find a Dr that is used to prescribing it. Then make a list to take with you to your appt. Write down EVERYTHING you have tried and for how long you used it. I agree also about being honest about how it's affecting you emotionally. I know it helps me to write things down. I always get nervous and forget things.

I finally started mine yesterday! I hate having to wait a month to start now.

Good luck!

noto214 - Hello :P I'll be tracking your blog then, I'm so excited for you! I bet your starting to dry up.. and sure I'll add you! :D

44444 - Hey! :) Yeah I'm working on looking for derms that takes my insurance but I always have to wait 1 month before I can see them and by that time usually mu acne dies down... It's werid. Everytime I go see a derm, my skin behaves! but after it starts to break out lol. What luck! :/ Hmmmmmm, maybe my derm is lazy with the paperwork, hell if doesnt wanna do it, I'll do it for him! :D

Have you been through a accutane treatment before? :P

mamato3inca - Hello there :) Wow so much money just for accutane :/ I hope I can get it on time because my insurance ends in about 3 months, ahhh. WOW, 4th time? You must kow everything about accutane then :P Theres one side effect that im concern about while taking accutane and after taking it. Did you develop any flushing? I've heard alot of people developed it.. that sucks because I acutally started to flush 2 months ago because of the retinoid I previously used.. It sucks! :/

Omg yes! I get really nervous too because I know I only have a small amount of time before he boots me out and prescribe me other useless junk. This time I'll find a new derm and write down everything I tried, If that derm wont let me, Im just going to get up and leave and move on to the next! I'm sure I will get a yes. :) Thank you for the help!

Wow, are you excited? Are you going to keep a log, I would love to read it! :D

serendipitylust - Wow, just try to keep optimistic! :) I know some good things will def turn up. I wish you the best! lol ..but what kinda warnings are you nervous about? Did your derm prescribe you your dosage yet? Or do you have any clue what your dosage is? I'm scared of the long-lasting side-effects also... especially flushing... :/ I guess you will always have to sacrafice something for something you want.. bleh. Are you going to start a log? :)

Yeah, I'll definitely start a log on here! And I think she's giving me a 40mg dosage to start? It all just kinda flew by me before I realized I was signing my life over to the iPledge Program.

Basically the stomach problems that have been related to the drug. Crohn's Disease. Joint pain. All those less common side-effects that could become life-long problems. I'm just hoping the risk is worth this drug. Also, hair loss. I'm terrified... even though I do have a head full of thick hair. Dry lips, dry skin... I can easily handle. I just don't want to take a drug that might possibly affect my body for the rest of my life... and on top of everything, not even work.

I understand a lot of people say that Accutane is a "cure", but that was not true in my case. If the derms believe that something else is better for you, try it. It isn't a walk in the park-there are a lot of side effects, and even still, it may not work, so be open to other treatments, and hope they work for you. Good luck!

44444 - Hey! :) Yeah I'm working on looking for derms that takes my insurance but I always have to wait 1 month before I can see them and by that time usually mu acne dies down... It's werid. Everytime I go see a derm, my skin behaves! but after it starts to break out lol. What luck! :/ Hmmmmmm, maybe my derm is lazy with the paperwork, hell if doesnt wanna do it, I'll do it for him! :D

Have you been through a accutane treatment before? :P

Uhhg yeah I hate how booked up they always are, it's so hard waiting a month before you can even get an appointment.. you just want to get it over with! Maybe you could take pictures of your skin when it's really bad and show them how it fluctuates. I've never been on accutane before, i'm a newbie! Yeah it's seems ridiculous to me that they would deny someone treatment because they wanted to avoid paperwork. Have you ever asked why they wont give you accutane?

hey girlsjustwannahavefun,

i havent quite started my accutane but thanks for the excitement for me! lol

pretty much right now, i'm waiting for this whole Ipledge crap. my doctors out this week, so next week we go through the registering me with Ipledge process. once im registered, and sign the consent form. my prescription of 40mg Amnesteem will be good to go.

so i take it i'll be starting in anywhere from 1-2 weeks ish? i'd say during the first week of september i should deffinately be on it.

i'll keep you updated though...hope all is well!

Crispix - Hey there :) Yeah, i totally get what your saying. I am currently trying out new things the dermatologist prescribed. My acne is getting better right now, way better than the picture i posted. Now im just hopping it will stop break out for good because i've always had a problem with it leaving and comming back, like a roller coaster. It's crazy.. you know desperate times call for desperate measures, haha. Thank you for you reply :)

44444 - I hate how wating a month and then within that month your acne improves and you can really ask for anything serious, because you acne is "not serious" :/ Yeah I've asked them why and they just simply said im not a candidate. Oooh, i see.. are you currently taking it or finished?

noto214 - Hello! :) How's everything going so far? Ahh, right now my acne is getting better. I hate it when it gets better and it gets you all excited but then later you feel "UGH" because you know your clear time wont stay for long :/ Besides that im on a new regimen and prescription from my derm. How's the waiting going? Bet you just wanna get it over with haha. :) I hope everything is going well for you as well hehe. I will be looking forward for your update. :P

44444 - I hate how wating a month and then within that month your acne improves and you can really ask for anything serious, because you acne is "not serious" :/ Yeah I've asked them why and they just simply said im not a candidate. Oooh, i see.. are you currently taking it or finished?

Very frustrating. I'm on my 2nd week of taking it but I haven't really noticed much change in my skin yet. I can't wait until it starts clearing up! I can't even remember the last time I had clear skin.