Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kitty121

DESPERATE FOR YASMIN HELP! PLEASE!

I've just finished my first month on yasmin, and my skin is getting worse not better! I used to be on Dianette but my doc won't give me it anymore so am on yasmin.

Has anyone else been on yasmin? how long does it take to work?

Oh yes. Yasim & Yaz will make you break out horrifically for a good month. IT's the IB. Don't worry it will gradually go away... just keep up with a regimen and you should be okay. AND DON'T STRESS about your skin. It only makes it worse!

I've never used Yasmin, but I've been on Yaz (and currently went back on it) and they are similar pills I know they aren't exactly the same and since everyone is different everyone will have a different reaction....

But...I know with Yaz I either didn't get an IB or my skin was just bad at the time and I didn't notice....but most side-effects of the pill go away after the first month sometimes first two months....it takes 3-6 months usually for your body to adjust to the hormones in bcp. So try to give it at least another month and remember to continue using face washes....and it should start to get better if it doesn't start to clear or if you start to feel sick then switch bcp.

If you do decide to switch birth control before 3 months try Yaz I looked up what the difference between the two pills are and this is what I found and it might be why Yasmin isn't working well for you....

Yaz® (drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol) and Yasmin® (drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol) are both combined oral contraceptives that contain both an estrogen and a progestin. They work to prevent pregnancy by stopping ovulation (the maturation and release of eggs from the ovaries) and altering the cervical mucus and the lining of the uterus.

Yasmin and Yaz are both different from traditional birth control pills in an important way. The progesterone that they use (drospirenone) is closely related to spironolactone, a medication used as a diuretic ("water pill"). Drospirenone has anti-androgenic activity, which means that it works against testosterone and other "male" hormones. All women have a small amount of these hormones, which can cause acne and other problems.

The primary difference between Yaz and Yasmin is that Yaz contains 24 active pills and 4 inactive pills, which have no active ingredients. Most birth control pills (including Yasmin) have 21 active pills and 7 inactive pills. Having fewer inactive pills seems to decrease some of the bothersome symptoms that occur just before and during your period.

# The main difference between the two is that Yaz contains less of estradiol compared to Yasmin. Yasmin contains about 30mcg ethinyl estradiol while Yaz contains about 20mcg.Estradiol is a hormone that is mainly produced in the ovaries of a female, though it is also found in lesser amounts in males. Estradiol affects the reproductive organs and sexual functioning, as well as other organs and bones.

# A second difference between them is that Yaz contains only 24 active pills, together with 4 placebo pills. A placebo is an inactive pill. It is meant to reduce troublesome symptoms that might bother you during or just before your cycles.

# The dosage instructions for Yaz and Yasmin also vary between each other. While Yasmin is supposed to be taken for three weeks or 21 days, Yaz is to be taken in for 24 days. They are followed by inactive pills-7 for Yasmin and 4 for Yaz.

# The two medications are also supposed to be administered under different indications. Yasmin is predominantly prescribed in order to prevent pregnancies in women. However, Yaz also provides an additional benefit. It is supposed to alleviate symptoms of premenstrual dysphoric disorder in some women. Yaz is sometimes used to tackle moderate acne in women who are at least 14 years of age and have started their cycles.

# Unfortunately, there has been a lot of discussion on the side effects produced by both the medications. While Yasmin has been found to produce side effects like gall bladder disease, blood clots in the legs etc, the side effects from Yaz have been reported to be more severe in nature. In fact, there are a number of litigations doing the rounds against both these medications.

# Finally, you may also face a number of issues if you are seeking insurance coverage while you are on Yaz. Since it is a relatively new drug, you may not receive covers for it. In such a case, your doctor might put you on Yasmin

Summary:

1. Yaz contains less estradiol compared to Yasmin.

2. Yaz is to be taken for 24 days and is followed by placebo pills. Yasmin is suppose to be taken for 21 days and is followed by 7 inactive pills.

3. Yasmin is used as a birth control pill, while Yaz is also used to tackle acne and pre menstrual symptoms.

4. There has been lot of discussion over the side effect, and they are said to be more pronounced in the case of Yaz.

I was on Yaz for 2.5 months. It helped with my breakout, but after 1 month on yaz my hair started falling out like crazy. It started coming out in clumps. I was very devastated. In fact I took one and a half months to find out that yaz was doing that to me. So i quit the pill.