Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
recoverme

So F'in Frustrated and Pissed Off

I know what my biggest addiction is... JUNK FOOD!

I have attempted diets for the past 2 years.. I even fasted like 6 times but I always give in to my old lifestyle..

My face looks disgusting today and I am in a bad mood..

I know that my skin is due to my dietary conditions, but I feel like since I have eaten bad my whole entire life (I am 23 now). It will take forever to see any changes and there's no point..

Sigh, I don't know what to do. I want to give in today.. I went 5 days straight raw juices last week and caved in on the weekend..

then I started over and now I'm 4 days again straight on this diet.. I am dying!

Please give me some tips

I have attempted diets for the past 2 years.. I even fasted like 6 times but I always give in to my old lifestyle..

I know that my skin is due to my dietary conditions, but I feel like since I have eaten bad my whole entire life (I am 23 now). It will take forever to see any changes and there's no point..

Sigh, I don't know what to do. I want to give in today.. I went 5 days straight raw juices last week and caved in on the weekend..

then I started over and now I'm 4 days again straight on this diet.. I am dying!

Please give me some tips

Don't do all of those fasts. If they work at all, it will probably only be for the short term. Just gradually make your diet healthier. No one's expecting you to just drop all of the foods you love overnight, so just cut out the bad foods that you're eating one by one (like give up cake this week, then chocolate next week, etc.).

Please give me some tips

Count yourself lucky, I'm 32 and only now have the full realisation that all along it was my diet. I've had several 'give in' days on the paleo diet, over the last 6 months, but battled through them, and today, you wouldn't think I'm an acne sufferer of 17 years. By raw juices, what do you mean? Veg or Fruit? Cause I have a major problem with fruit, broke me out badly, haven't eaten any for 5 months. My favourite juice is Celery and cucumber, guaranteed skin aid.

With all this junk food, you're basically putting petrol into a diesel engine. Paleo foods are safe foods in my opinion, so you don't need to starve yourself, go get yourself a big bowl of steamed broccoli and add kippers, my daily fav snack after work...

You are starving yourself! No wonder you cave in after a few days. Start out by just cutting out processed food and go from there.

Well, you are doing it wrong. Don't fast. And certainly don't drink nothing but juice. That is not good for you or acne.

Also, it's not all or nothing. Don't decide since you ate some crap so your diet is blown and you might as well keep eating crap. And whatever other extreme things people do. I can't say because I just don't have this kind of mentality.

You can just start eating more better meals than bad. Just make the good ones really good and keep the bad to a minimum. Start now. Have some salmon and sauteed spinach tonight. Keep finding more good things to eat that you like.

Good, btw, means real, whole nutrient dense colorful vegetables, fruits, fish, eggs, etc that you don't have an intolerance for and are not consumed in blood sugar spiking meals, drinks or snacks. Juice would be an example of what not to do. Not by itself without a meal of fats, protein and fiber to lower the glycemic impact.

More info on the many ways diet and lifestyle affect acne and what to do about them:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-Acne...es-t230714.html Notice how the same diet helps so many factors in acne and health.

The posters above are correct, I might like to add and speculate another major reason you keeping failing is your mental approach to healthy eating thus, you keep returning to eating junk food (comfort food). Your poor eating habits have dominated your world for so long that when you decide to change, you feel uncomfortable and since your approach is extreme it is no wonder you feel emotionally and mentally overwhelmed and you go back to what you are familiar with.

You learned this behavior from family, friends, school, television, etc. In other words, you’ve been brainwashed and now it’s time to open your eyes and see the light. :)

Going on a fast and jumping on the health food bandwagon without in depth knowledge of what you are doing will not get you anywhere. Obviously as you can see you are not achieving the desired results. When you fail, you must analyze where you failed and try another strategy. You must learn to question the reason(s) you failed and try again and not just quit all together.

Educate yourself and understand that with you this may take some time. Once you understand that, the train you guide will roll in the direction you want it to go.

Look at your change as a long term solution. Slowly change your diet, drop certain foods in pieces and sure enough before you know it you will be eating real food. Get to know your food (like a friend) and not look at it as a chore to get your acne under control.

Like many who start a new exercise routine and fail simply due to the fact the goals were too excessive and unrealistic. It’s all a process and the process takes time and practice.

Once you get rid of the junk food out of your life and begin eating healthy, real food you will never go back to junk food. Frankly, there wouldn’t be a reason to anyway. Your mind and body will crave the foods your body really needs to function efficiently. You will feel good and because you feel good your mind will think you look good too.

Good Luck!

Fasting is fine - as long as you're prepared for it. It's not exactly the easiest thing to do - whether it's a water fast or a juice fast. And it's definitely not likely you'll stick to a good diet when you start it off with a heavy week long juice fast. That's insane.

If you choose to fast, try a simple 18 hour or 24 hour fast. All at once can be detrimental to progress because when you're instantly deprived, it's more difficult to stay away.

How many times do you have to run face first into a brick wall before you realize it hurts?

Ultimately, I took about a month to plan the changes in my diet and overall health. Planning also really helped. Set goals and don't hate yourself if you don't always meet them. And if it's so difficult for you, don't go cold turkey. Be progressive about cutting things out.

There's also a simple yet very difficult trick to sticking to a healthier lifestyle. It's called willpower. Even if it takes you two years to get it right, so what? Strength comes from continually trying and you will eventually succeed if you allow yourself to.

"You'll find all you need in your mind"

Are you still having trouble? As everyone else in this thread said...don't fast. Each meal you skip, your appetite hormones build up and will cause you to probably binge later on. Don't think of it as "I can't change because I've been this way my whole life". It's not hard at all to change if you change your mindset. You are saying that you are dying on your diet. Is this because you feel hungry/lethargic all the time or because you simply crave sweets? A good way to keep yourself from craving anything sweet is to avoid insulin spikes. Don't eat more than 8 grams of carbs per hour (probably all should be from veggies). The only other reason you would crave food would be because of what you are seeing in your house. You have to remember all of those horrible days that acne screwed something up in your life. Begin to associate the junk foods with those horrible memories. Not saying that is guaranteed to work but it's definitely worth a shot. I believe avoiding insulin spikes is the key, though and keeping yourself full and satisfied on the foods you can eat (lots of oil, some protein, and fiber from veggies). Trust me on this one, I've been going through hell with food cravings lately and have tried to pinpoint it on a variety of things. You may think this is a big step to take but if you're seriously having this much trouble, it has to be done. It's your best shot and don't think you won't crave junk food if you cheat. You can gradually change your diet later on but avoiding carbs really kills cravings.

Edited by CheyCheyenne