Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
I've been noticing hair loss ever since I got off accutane and bit during it. Do you think this is a side effect and is it permananent?

It is most likely caused by accutane, yeah. However whether or not it is permanent you will have to wait and see over time.

As the quote goes.. Only time will tell.

In the mean-time go to your doctor/derm and get your blood tested for iron levels etc to see if you can pinpoint the cause.

Edited by Jxr

I've been noticing hair loss ever since I got off accutane and bit during it. Do you think this is a side effect and is it permananent?

It is most likely caused by accutane, yeah. However whether or not it is permanent you will have to wait and see over time.

In the mean-time go to your doctor/derm and get your blood tested for iron levels etc to see if you can pinpoint the cause.

'it better fucking not be permananent because I'm only 16.. and accutune would've been not worth it all

'it better fucking not be permananent because I'm only 16.. and accutune would've been not worth it all

You should be all good man.. In most cases people hair-growth etc returns to normal. The only thing that sucks is it can take months and even years in some cases.

Just don't forget to go to that Doctor and get that blood checked for your hair-loss cause. (Iron levels etc).

You should be all good man.. In most cases people hair-growth etc returns to normal. The only thing that sucks is it can take months and even years in some cases.

Just don't forget to go to that Doctor and get that blood checked for your hair-loss cause. (Iron levels etc).

What do I need to get my iron checked for? Sorry not to knowledgable about this.

What do I need to get my iron checked for? Sorry not to knowledgable about this.

An Iron Deficiency (Low blood iron levels) can be a very common cause of Hair Loss. Just one of those precautions etc to try and find a cause.

Edited by Jxr

An Iron Deficiency (Low blood iron levels) can be a very common cause of Hair Loss. Just one of those precautions etc to try and find a cause.

Well I take a mutli vitamin everyday if that helps

Yeah that will certainly help.

The main idea with the blood tests is to test the obvious hair-loss causes like Iron Levels to try and find it right away.

If the blood test is still inconclusive then what you are most likely looking at is a condition called Telogen Effluvium - to give you a basic answer its when your hair can almost go Dormant, and can take time to start back up. This can be caused by cancer-type drugs & accutane etc.

There is a hair-loss thread I can link you in a sec to have a look at.

Edit: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/answers-d...ir-t152239.html

There you are if you haven't already gotten to read it. There are lots of other forum users in your position.

Edited by Jxr

The main idea with the blood tests is to test the obvious hair-loss causes like Iron Levels to try and find it right away.

If the blood test is still inconclusive then what you are most likely looking at is a condition called Telogen Effluvium - to give you a basic answer its when your hair can almost go Dormant, and can take time to start back up. This can be caused by cancer-type drugs & accutane etc.

Edit:

There you are.

Ok well , I gotta go to bed but if you pm me it that would be great.

Edit:

There you are.

Ok well , I gotta go to bed but if you pm me it that would be great.

Yep, no problem.

Did you even bother to read the side effects at all? it says hair loss, temporary and can be perminent, along many other things, not common at all, but doesn't mean you cant get it.

You would be best welcoming the thought of permanent hair loss, it's being realistic. I can't give you a definite answer it's like the other poster said, it's a wait and see approach.

you sure your not just experiencing normal hair shedding?

you lose 100 hairs a day anyway-

at the start of my course and throughougt it I was very tempted to quit as I saw hairs shedding whenever i ran my hands through my hair,

but after 4 months when texture remained the same I realised it was all normal

You would be best welcoming the thought of permanent hair loss, it's being realistic. I can't give you a definite answer it's like the other poster said, it's a wait and see approach.

I never would have gone on accutane if I thought I could get PERMANENT HAIR LOSS, I thought it was only temporary while you are on it..

I never would have gone on accutane if I thought I could get PERMANENT HAIR LOSS, I thought it was only temporary while you are on it..

Most people do not get permanent hair loss. Most hair loss experienced on Accutane is temporary, a result of the stress that Accutane puts on your body.

Basically, there are three different hair loss scenarios with accutane.

1). Acute TE-This occurs when your body is "shocked" with something traumatic- in this case accutane. Hair loss occurs rapidly, but so does regrowth. This only happens if your body gets used to the accutane right away.

2). Chronic TE- This occurs when a stress, rather than a shock is placed on your body-in this case accutane. Hair loss occurs slowy, and so does regrowth. Chronic TE can last up to 2 years even if you stop the medicine at the first signs of hair loss.

3). Alopecia- This is the most rare form of hair loss due to accutane (~1% of users develop this). If this happens, your body's immune system starts attacking your hair. Your hair follicle is not damaged, but regrowth is difficult because your immune system keeps attacking the hair every time it tries to grow. Therefore, this form of hair loss is generally thought of as permanent because rarely does the body ever stop attacking the hair-even if you stop taking accutane. There is treatment for this to slow it down.

1 and 2 generally go away with little or no treatment. 3 is more permanent.

And by the way, derms will say that hair loss occurs only during treatment because that's what their prescribing information from the drug company reads.

Also, alopecia is a lot more rapid. 9 times out of 10 you will start losing hundreds of hairs within the days of noticing hair loss.

Most people do not get permanent hair loss. Most hair loss experienced on Accutane is temporary, a result of the stress that Accutane puts on your body.

When will it start to regrow? I'm defiently really worried and I graduate at the end of this school year. Sure the acne is gone but I'd rather have acne and hair , than no acne and no hair. Btw there is a noticeable change in text when I wet it or try and gel it , I cant spike my hair anymore because it looks horrible. BTW I didnt really notice much until after accutane . How long until after accutane will they start to regrow????

Edited by dirtymanjames

When will it start to regrow? I'm defiently really worried and I graduate at the end of this school year. Sure the acne is gone but I'd rather have acne and hair , than no acne and no hair. Btw there is a noticeable change in text when I wet it or try and gel it , I cant spike my hair anymore because it looks horrible.

When a hair falls out completely from its follicle, it takes two years to see another grow out of that same follicle. And that is assuming regrowth took place immediately after the prior hair fell out. When did you start noticing hair loss and how did it progress?

When will it start to regrow? I'm defiently really worried and I graduate at the end of this school year. Sure the acne is gone but I'd rather have acne and hair , than no acne and no hair. Btw there is a noticeable change in text when I wet it or try and gel it , I cant spike my hair anymore because it looks horrible.

When a hair falls out completely from its follicle, it takes two years to see another grow out of that same follicle. And that is assuming regrowth took place immediately after the prior hair fell out. When did you start noticing hair loss and how did it progress?

I didnt really notice it until after I was off accutane , and like I only notice them fall out if I like put my hand through my hair , and like 2-4 will fall out , but like ever since I started I always noticed these white things flying out of my hair whenever anyone touched my hair or I moved my hand through it. I didnt think it was dandruff because there was ALOT of it and I never had it before accutane. Also another wierd thing is I started getting pimples on my head AFTER accutane , but I never had them during..

Edited by dirtymanjames

I didnt really notice it until after I was off accutane , and like I only notice them fall out if I like put my hand through my hair , and like 2-4 will fall out , but like ever since I started I always noticed these white things flying out of my hair whenever anyone touched my hair or I moved my hand through it. I didnt think it was dandruff because there was ALOT of it and I never had it before accutane. Also another wierd thing is I started getting pimples on my head AFTER accutane , but I never had them during..

2-4 hairs is nothing man. And that white stuff is not hair. It's most likely dandruff.

Around how many hairs a day are you losing?

Then I did it 3 times and and 2 hairs came out

2-4 hairs is nothing man. And that white stuff is not hair. It's most likely dandruff.

Around how many hairs a day are you losing?

I'm not sure , but I put my hand through my hair and only 1 hair fell out..

Edited by dirtymanjames

Are you sure you're not just imagining it? Its completely normal to brush your hair and have a few fall out. You can lose up 100 hairs a day and that's considered normal. Try to get a count over the next couple days.

Are you sure you're not just imagining it? Its completely normal to brush your hair and have a few fall out. You can lose up 100 hairs a day and that's considered normal. Try to get a count over the next couple days.

My hair texture has changed though.. like I spike up my hair and there is , like my hair isnt close and there are some gaps. IT seems like my hair isnt thick. But I never notice my hair falling out if I dont touch it.

While they say losing up to 100 hairs a day is normal I find that most people rarely see close to that many. When hair loss becomes a concern in the case with Accutane, it's almost more than often a legitimate concern.

dirtyman- I've been off of accutane for 8 months and I have gaps in my hair too, and a general thinning all over. It's scary to see the larger gaps. I also think that now that I am obsessed with my hair I tend to touch it and play with it more than before, which is not helping at all.

It just really seems like we will need to wait it out in hopes of recovery. Best of luck my friend.