Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lightning Folly

Need advice on living without make-up

So here's the deal. I am never, ever without make-up on when I am around friends/acquaintances. Seriously. I will wash it off my face and dab a little on before slumber parties when it's bedtime. I'm that insecure. Around my family I really don't care.

My acne is moderate. It is healing but I am left with a lot of red marks and still some active pimples. I'm starting college soon, and I'm not going to sleep in make-up every night for the next four years.

I really need advice on what to do, any hints/tricks/confidence boosters for covering acne without make-up? Even if it's not a physical thing and just a mantra or uplifting story I'll take it. And I'm also concerned about doing my regimen in a public bathroom every morning and night. :confused: The astringent I use smells pretty foul to some people (ughh tea tree oil!) I never let my friends see my extensive regimen either. :redface:

Maybe you could wear tinted moisturizer? It's not obvious, and it's not heavy, but at least it gives you a more even-toned look and you can just wash it off in the shower/when you cleanse your face.

I hated showing my bare skin to people during camp but I got over it because I had to. I washed it off at night (no one's gonna see ya anyways) and re-applied it in the morning in my dorm. It wasn't so bad.

Good luck =) Just pretend you look like who you wish you did on the inside. Most days I pretend I'm Kim Kardashian. I pretend I'm looking right out of her eyes.It's fun AND a confidence booster, LOL.

Yeah you could use Tinted Moisturizer but that could also be counter-productive and just prolong your acne by clogging up your pores. Also, no need to be shy about your regimen.. Go out and sport that.

As for pretending to be Kim Kardashian...

Hmmm.....

Edited by Jxr

So here's the deal. I am never, ever without make-up on when I am around friends/acquaintances. Seriously. I will wash it off my face and dab a little on before slumber parties when it's bedtime. I'm that insecure. Around my family I really don't care.

My acne is moderate. It is healing but I am left with a lot of red marks and still some active pimples. I'm starting college soon, and I'm not going to sleep in make-up every night for the next four years.

I really need advice on what to do, any hints/tricks/confidence boosters for covering acne without make-up? Even if it's not a physical thing and just a mantra or uplifting story I'll take it. And I'm also concerned about doing my regimen in a public bathroom every morning and night. :confused: The astringent I use smells pretty foul to some people (ughh tea tree oil!) I never let my friends see my extensive regimen either. :redface:

Just be yourself. That is all anyone can do :)

As for pretending to be Kim Kardashian...

Hmmm.....

don't be hatin :hand:

Oh no you didn't just give me the hand....

:[

Edited by Jxr

Well I would ask you this; if someone told you that going without any makeup for a whole week would completely clear your skin, would you do it? The answer is probably yes. Well, it won't make it better in a week, but going without makeup will improve your skin tremendously! Have you ever seen anyone besides yourself with makeup on and they have acne? What do you notice? Acne. Makeup doesn't hide a damn thing. Everyone can still see it. They just know that you're trying to use makeup to cover it. :| Might as well not wear it and give your skin a lot more time to breathe. I stopped wearing makeup everyday about a year ago and it has improved my skin by at least 70% I only wear it when I'm going to a party or dinner with my husband. I use Bare Minerals basically as just a boost to my complexion and it does cover hyperpigmentation pretty well. I will never use any liquid makeup. They say that it won't clog your pores or irritate your skin, but it does. Anything you're putting on your face is going to get in your pores, especially if you already have irritated skin. You have to remember the makeup companies are not thinking about you and your acne when they make their products, they make it for "normal" skin types.

Confidence is always sexy. I work with a girl who has small pimples all over her face. And she's a little on the chunky side, maybe a size 12 or 14. And all the guys I work with DROOL over her. Because she is ALWAYS smiling, she's super nice and friendly to everyone, she's always dressed nice, she just works it! Her confidence is amazing and men fall all over it

So just try to remember that you're about to have the best time of your life and you don't want to ruin that time by stressing about your skin. Everybody has something they don't like about themselves, yours just happens to be more noticeable then some others.

Oh and the regimen thing...girl please. You're going to be shocked when you see all the crazy sh*t these girls are going to be doing themselves. My roommate use to rinse her hair with vinegar every night. Trust me nobodys going to notice your astringent.

Edited by KristieRS

I stopped wearing make up in november. I only wear it on weekends or when I'm going out out. Honestly. It's drastically changed my acne "break outs" I rarely break out. I don't think people really care. Sometimes acne actually looks better when there isn't make up caked on it. It feels so good to walk out of the house and not have to stress about powder and foundation. And if you like to work out... it's even easier to just go and not have to wash anything off... don't stress ;) Everybody has problems with their skin, even models and actresses

One year in college my face exploded with acne after stopping my birth control. I was so upset. I figured everyone would expect me to look down in shame, because here I was walking down the halls with big ugly bumps protruding from my face. So, I did the opposite. I made eye contact with everyone I passed, and when I conversed with others I did my best to appear confident, even though I was so embarrassed. When people sense you can get past your acne, they'll get past it too. If you are fixated on it, they'll sense that too.

Maybe you could wear tinted moisturizer? It's not obvious, and it's not heavy, but at least it gives you a more even-toned look and you can just wash it off in the shower/when you cleanse your face.

I hated showing my bare skin to people during camp but I got over it because I had to. I washed it off at night (no one's gonna see ya anyways) and re-applied it in the morning in my dorm. It wasn't so bad.

Good luck =) Just pretend you look like who you wish you did on the inside. Most days I pretend I'm Kim Kardashian. I pretend I'm looking right out of her eyes.It's fun AND a confidence booster, LOL.

Hmm I never thought of that but great idea. :D I just gotta be careful like Jxr said and not make my face worse... mehhh. I hate that risk.

Haha I could pretend to be Megan Fox. Gotta be fierce, right? I usually show confidence or I can at least fake it. ;) So I guess being myself could work Nicky D or I could be Megan Fox.

Well I would ask you this; if someone told you that going without any makeup for a whole week would completely clear your skin, would you do it? The answer is probably yes. Well, it won't make it better in a week, but going without makeup will improve your skin tremendously! Have you ever seen anyone besides yourself with makeup on and they have acne? What do you notice? Acne. Makeup doesn't hide a damn thing. Everyone can still see it. They just know that you're trying to use makeup to cover it. :| Might as well not wear it and give your skin a lot more time to breathe. I stopped wearing makeup everyday about a year ago and it has improved my skin by at least 70% I only wear it when I'm going to a party or dinner with my husband. I use Bare Minerals basically as just a boost to my complexion and it does cover hyperpigmentation pretty well. I will never use any liquid makeup. They say that it won't clog your pores or irritate your skin, but it does. Anything you're putting on your face is going to get in your pores, especially if you already have irritated skin. You have to remember the makeup companies are not thinking about you and your acne when they make their products, they make it for "normal" skin types.

Confidence is always sexy. I work with a girl who has small pimples all over her face. And she's a little on the chunky side, maybe a size 12 or 14. And all the guys I work with DROOL over her. Because she is ALWAYS smiling, she's super nice and friendly to everyone, she's always dressed nice, she just works it! Her confidence is amazing and men fall all over it

So just try to remember that you're about to have the best time of your life and you don't want to ruin that time by stressing about your skin. Everybody has something they don't like about themselves, yours just happens to be more noticeable then some others.

I use liquid make-up (Maybelline NY Anti-Aging/Firming foundation) that I have no problems with but using it all the time can't be good. And sometimes it looks really obvious and I get that annoying "line" along my jaw. I might switch back to a powder and use less.

You're totally right about confidence. Hmm I can't say that I don't get attention from the opposite sex. I've been told I'm quite pretty, but then I see myself without make-up and I just cringe. My boyfriend brushes it off and says "so what, you break out. Everyone our age does. You're still a ten to me." It's sweet, but my confidence when it comes to my skin is a minimum.

Vinegar?? Really?? Haha! I can't imagine that smell every night. TTO smells like menthol.

I stopped wearing make up in november. I only wear it on weekends or when I'm going out out. Honestly. It's drastically changed my acne "break outs" I rarely break out. I don't think people really care. Sometimes acne actually looks better when there isn't make up caked on it. It feels so good to walk out of the house and not have to stress about powder and foundation. And if you like to work out... it's even easier to just go and not have to wash anything off... don't stress ;) Everybody has problems with their skin, even models and actresses

Thanks. :) I'm glad it worked for you. I need to do that, but taking the first step sounds intimidating.

One year in college my face exploded with acne after stopping my birth control. I was so upset. I figured everyone would expect me to look down in shame, because here I was walking down the halls with big ugly bumps protruding from my face. So, I did the opposite. I made eye contact with everyone I passed, and when I conversed with others I did my best to appear confident, even though I was so embarrassed. When people sense you can get past your acne, they'll get past it too. If you are fixated on it, they'll sense that too.

Wow I really admire your balls on that, to be honest. I'd cake it on my face. I try not to ever, ever talk about acne in any shape or form, so no one mentions it. I don't know if people think about my acne or are just too nice to comment on it.

Edited by Lightning Folly