Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dear Accutane: Pleeease fix my face.

Okay so ever since i heard about accutane i've been visiting this site frequently to learn everything i can about this crazy drug.

I'm 20 years old and i've had acne for probably 7/8? years and it might just be the most frustrating thing ever. I've tried literally everything under the sun and finally decided to make an appointment with a dermatologist (I had gone before but it was a few years ago and nothing she gave me worked). She looked at my face and basically said I should try accutane. I'm so glad I live in Canada and don't have to deal with that whole ipledge fiasco, it sounds like hell. She gave me a Rx the same day and told me to go get a blood/pregnancy test and that was that! I was pretty pumped but nervous at the same time. It's going to be a weird change having dry skin, ever since I can remember I've have ridiculously oily skin. Anyways, I just wanted to make a log because I know reading other people's was really helpful to me when I was trying to figure out what I should expect when I start taking this stuff.

I am currently on Day 4: As of now I haven't really noticed any huge changes, my skin is definitely not as oily but other than that I haven't experienced any side effects. I'm soooo dreading the whole dry lips deal but I guess that's pretty much unavoidable, I've been putting carmex on like crazy so hopefully that will help a bit. Also hoping I get to be one of the lucky people who don't breakout at the beginning, fingers crossed!

Oh I forgot to add.. I am on 40mg/day Clarus

Edited by 44444

Good luck with your course! There are a few of us who have all started around the same time so there is plenty of advice and support to be had!

Good luck to you on your course. Once you start seeing some progress, the time will cruise by. I think the dry lips are inevitable despite you being proactive about it. My own experience has been that they got drier and drier throughout the day. Put a thick layer of aquaphor or whatever you are using on overnight. In the morning when you shower, you'll be able to rub off all the dead chapped skin and they'll be smooth as silk. But then the process will repeat itself.

Thanks guys! Good to know i'm not alone in this. Yeah I'm definitely going to go pick up some aquaphor at some point, does anyone know where to get it in Canada? Would any drugstore have it?

Day 5: Haven't really noticed any difference in the appearance of my face but at work today it was SO itchy, i wanted to scratch so bad but I thought that would probably not do me any good... and my makeup would have rubbed off which would have been bad. My scalp has been pretty itchy too but i'm going to take this as a sign that it's working! yay! I got a little bit of a headache today but who knows if that had anything to do with accutane? could have just been coincidence.

Ah perfect thank you! I went to a a grocery store today to get some stuff and thought i'd check to see if they had any but they didn't. Once it starts getting bad i'll go get some, hopefully that wont be for a while.

Good luck on your course! I'm about a month into mine, so our courses aren't too far from one another. I feel ya on the Also, if for some reason you can't find Aquaphor, I've found Vaseline and Blistex Intensive Care both work really well! And I've noticed I get headaches if I don't drink enough water, so I've been chugging it like there is no tomorrow!

Keep us posted, I'll be checking in on ya!

Best of luck on your course!!

I couldnt find Aquaphor on the shelves at Shoppers, so I asked the pharmacist about it..he was able to order it for me :)

Uhhg yeah, I definitely don't drink as much water as I should but now I really need to start getting in the habit of having water with me all the time.

Day 6: So my face still looks the same... I know it's only day 6 but I thought it would at least be breaking out or getting flaky by now? It's still pretty itchy but other than that I haven't had any side effects. Today is my friends birthday and she is having a party, I hate being the only sober one at a party and when I drink I seem to forget about my acne and I can actually be myself. Do you think it would be okay to have a few drinks? Obviously not get completely trashed or anything but just drink casually? I know that it's really hard on your liver and I don't want it to effect my progress on accutane. Let me know what you guys think.

I don't think a drink or two will hurt. SOme people have got drunk whilst taking it with no ill efects, others have had one drink and felt really hungover. Just dont go stressing your poor live out too much! also you don't want to risk affecting your cholesterol levels so be careful.

The itchy face thing lasted a while for me but seems to have eased. My scalp is still itching but I have been putting jojoba oil on it which helps with the dryness!

Best of luck!

Day 7: Oh hey there back pain, whattup? Yeah so my lower back is killing me... does not feel good. Also i'm pretty sure my liver hates me, I wasn't very nice to it last night. My face is starting to peel a bit around my nose but my skin isn't super dry yet. Other than the peeling I haven't noticed any new breakouts but it's still early I guess. Edited by 44444

Day 8: I can't believe I'm already on day 8! So today I woke up with a few new whiteheads on my chin which was a lovely surprise but my skin hasn't really dried out yet. My lips are.. I wouldn't say dry but they feel kind of tight so I think they are on their way. I have to go to a family thing later today and I'm dreading it because it's outside and natural light makes my skin look 10x worse. I wish there was a way to fast forward the next few months... time machine anyone? Umm what else, oh! my back holy shit. Yesterday my back was killing me, it would be fine when I was moving around but whenever I would stop and sit/lay down it felt like someone was ripping my muscles apart. It hasn't bothered me yet today though so that's good. Question: what kind of sunscreen have you guys been using on your face?

Day 9: I got my first nose bleed last night laying in bed, i'm just glad it happened at home and not at work. So my face is starting to get flakey making it really hard to wear makeup, it looks horrible but I refuse to leave the house without makeup. I want to exfoliate so bad but I heard that's a no-no? Also weird thing happened, I was eating popcorn about an hour ago and now the left half of my bottom lip is swollen. Pretty sure it has nothing to do with accutane but still odd.

You might want to ask your derm about some nasal ointment. If you get a nose bleed while your asleep it's not very pleasant (believe me XD). Good luck!

You might want to ask your derm about some nasal ointment. If you get a nose bleed while your asleep it's not very pleasant (believe me XD). Good luck!

Oh good idea, I've been using vasaline and it seems to have helped but I will definitely ask about that at my next appointment!

Day 10: Yaaay I finished my first pack! I finally bought some aquaphor and now I get why everyone raves about this stuff so much, it's unreal. I'm sure I will be going through several tubes over the next few months. So I'm still waiting on my skin to completely dry out, right now it's peeling a bit but not super dry. I found that using a face cloth while washing my face helps exfoliate a little bit and it's not too harsh on my skin. Back pain has still been pretty bad, anyone have any tips on how to help that?

Day 11 Lips are DRY. I have been putting aquaphor on them like mad and it's making such a difference. I can't really tell if my face is getting better yet or not. It's definitely not getting worse though which is a good thing! My derm took pictures of my skin before I started but I should have took some myself to compare... oh well. I've been really tired lately as well, like all i want to do is sleep but then when I try to go to bed at night I will just lay there for the longest time not able to fall asleep which is kind of frustrating.

Yikes! All these side effects you mentioned sound scary! Along with all the crazy stuff going on now, with the court cases, saying accutane causes ulcerative colitis, liver problems, kidney problems, Esophageal cancer, depression, birth defects, etc. It causes back pain and nose bleeds too?! Thats crazy I think I'd take acne over any of that but thats just me. I hope you have none of these problems and that it works for you! Good luck!

Yikes! All these side effects you mentioned sound scary! Along with all the crazy stuff going on now, with the court cases, saying accutane causes ulcerative colitis, liver problems, kidney problems, Esophageal cancer, depression, birth defects, etc. It causes back pain and nose bleeds too?! Thats crazy I think I'd take acne over any of that but thats just me. I hope you have none of these problems and that it works for you! Good luck!

:rolleyes: wow, not me I'd rather be on my deathbed then deal with this severe acne.... and thats not the accutane depression kicking in, its the truth... I guess thats the difference of people with mild acne and severe acne.

Well i think all these side effects are associated with everything drying out, it's not like they are all individual problems? if that makes sense at all haha but yeah I don't really mind I think clear skin will make it all worth while.

:rolleyes: wow, not me I'd rather be on my deathbed then deal with this severe acne.... and thats not the accutane depression kicking in, its the truth... I guess thats the difference of people with mild acne and severe acne.

Agreed, I'm done with acne.

done.

Day 13 Woke up this morning to find my chin breaking out. Maybe this is the start of an IB? I reeeaaally hope not. The back pain has been really bad, none of my other joints hurt luckily but the back is killer. I'm assuming this is from accutane but I guess there's no way to know for sure.

I'm so glad you got ahold of the Aquaphor. I'm on day 19 and other chapsticks just don't seem to be cutting it. Haven't had any nosebleeds or pain or anything (yet? Knock on wood), and I guess in comparison this is minor, but my scalp is so damn ITCHY. I can't stop scratching my head. My hair used to get oily so quickly, and now I can wash it every other day instead of daily, but I guess this is the price of eventual good skin.

Oh, and my pores look huge too. Makes me sad :( I usually wear just concealer and no foundation, but the other day I went out and bought some Neutrogena Healthy Skin liquid makeup just to even everything out. It has a nice finish and is moisturizing without being greasy. It also hides the fact that now I always look sunburned - my face has gone perpetually pink. Yay 'Tane burn...

Good luck on your course!