Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ziko

Carbs and acne

So.. the last couple of weeks I've been trying a low carb diet, I tried this because of my workout program. Since starting the diet, I've noticed that my skin looks alot better. So I went on the internet looking for a connection and I found this link; http://www.natural-acne-solution.com/acne-...bohydrates.html .

My question is... is there anyone who experienced the same?

I've always eaten alot of fat (healthy fats, alot of proteins), could this combined with the carbs, be causing, or atleast attributing to my acne?

So.. the last couple of weeks I've been trying a low carb diet, I tried this because of my workout program. Since starting the diet, I've noticed that my skin looks alot better. So I went on the internet looking for a connection and I found this link; http://www.natural-acne-solution.com/acne-...bohydrates.html .

I've always eaten alot of fat (healthy fats, alot of proteins), could this combined with the carbs, be causing, or atleast attributing to my acne?

I would stick with a low-carb, high-fat diet.

Low carb diets are similar to paleo style diets because they don't spike the blood sugar. In general, following a diet low in sugars, grains, and most other carbs can offer many people relief. Sometimes people with acne also experience gluten/dairy sensitivities so you could possibly be sensitive to gluten if you haven't been eating it and your acne has improved. I'm guessing you still eat dairy?

In general a low carb diet also allows your body to get more nutrients from your food and doesn't feed infections such as candida or parasites which contribute to conditions such as leaky gut which cause acne. Sugar and other processed foods cause your body to accumulate toxins and release them through sweating, acne, etc.

It could be anything really but basically most low carb diets allow the body to heal itself and are really just optimal for human health in my opinion.

What should i do if i working out in gym 4 timse a week? Carbs are verry important for physical activty... I am taking them like 250-600g/day. Is thats wrong?

I workout alot too and substitue processed carbs with vegetables and fruits alot. However, in the process I've lost few kilos.. not good so I too need advice on some acne friendly carbs..

Of course. The role of excessively elevated insulin/blood sugar on hormones, stress/mood, inflammation and more on acne and health is well studied and documented. There's a thread full of links to studies pinned at the top of this forum.

Keeping blood sugar stable is the number one step to controlling acne as well as retarding aging and preventing all the lifestyle caused conditions that make Americans such sickly decrepit people.

More info on the many ways diet affects acne: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-Acne...es-t230714.html

Also, to answer some of the other comments/questions, it's not about the amount of carbs. It's their impact on your blood sugar. So it's the source of the carbs and the GL of the meals that matter.

Edited by alternativista

Do you care to explain this a little bit further? Sounds interestering and I really want to figure this out but I'm no doctor. Like what carbs are worse or better?

Sugary drinks and sugary or refined carb (flour) foods not eaten as part of a meal of fats, protein and fiber are the worst.

It's the glycemic impact. If you are avoiding carbs, then you ought to have done at least a minimal amount of research and this should not be new info. And you can click on the link I provided above for more information.

Edited by alternativista

This website helped me alot when I was looking for carbs to eat that wouldn't spike my insulin causing my blood sugar to skyrocket. glycemicindex.com

For an acne-prone gym junkie I would suggest "clean bulking", which is pretty much gaining muscle and trying to minimise fat gain.

And also for interests sake, I ate low GI carbs and managed to gain over 6 kilos of lean muscle and basically double my lifts on everything in a few months, which is exceptionally good for me seeing as I'm naturally very skinny.

Also take note that some foods that are low GI may still produce a high insulin response (e.g. yoghurt, ice cream); see link. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insulin_index

Note: In my personal opinion, the best times you should have carbs (rice, oats .etc..) for an acne-prone gym junkie is pre-workout (60-75 mins before first lift) and post-workout (30-45 minutes after exercise). This has worked for me exceptionally well and has kept fat gain to a bare minimum.

Also Note: If you're cutting for summer (reducing body fat while trying to retain muscle), only eat carbs post-workout and just ditch the pre-workout completely - this will let your body burn fat as an energy source during workouts instead of the carbs.

Hope this helps somebody, and best of luck to you all.

I am a Paleo eater and I must say it is better for healthy living. There has been a lot of research on the topic and it all seems positive and promising.

For those who workout Google caveman forum and you'll find a website that helps you bulk up. there are people there who have bulked up on eggs, meat, fruit and nuts with no reduction in strength or overall progress.

In regards to acne, there is a book by Dr Cordain who uses the Paleo diet to curb acne. I guess by being Paleo you drink a lot of water and eat a lot of healthy foods, including healthy fats but it hasn't impacted my acne much. However I went to France for a week and basically lived off Pain au Chocolates and when I came back I broke out BAD so maybe it does impact?

Who knows but I definitely recommend going Paleo for healthy living. You don't eliminate carbs, you just eliminate all the crap foods in standard diets!

Iain

I have heard that sugar breaks down collagen so it sounds like carbs (sugars ect ) do affect the skin

Sugar/elevated insulin affects acne and skin in many ways such as hormones and inflammation. But yes it ages all of your cells including skin cells.

Fixing your diet to eat real whole, nutrient dense anti-inflammatory foods in meals/drinks/snacks that do not spike blood sugar/insulin will do a lot more for you than clear your acne.

I have heard that sugar breaks down collagen so it sounds like carbs (sugars ect ) do affect the skin

Sugar/elevated insulin affects acne and skin in many ways such as hormones and inflammation. But yes it ages all of your cells including skin cells.

Fixing your diet to eat real whole, nutrient dense anti-inflammatory foods in meals/drinks/snacks that do not spike blood sugar/insulin will do a lot more for you than clear your acne.

I've read that glucomannan helps to stablize blood sugar levels prior to insulin spikes and that many people on this forum have used them prior to eating high carb/GI/processed foods. I'm thinking of trying it out.

I've read that glucomannan helps to stablize blood sugar levels prior to insulin spikes and that many people on this forum have used them prior to eating high carb/GI/processed foods. I'm thinking of trying it out.

Drink a lot of water with each dose if you do. It can be dangerous. And I would instead eat right most of the time and use a fiber supplement only for the occasional cheat such as having someone's birthday cake.

More info on the many things that help with stable blood sugar and a link to the glucomannan you should read before considering using it.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...t&p=2574113

Edited by alternativista

Drink a lot of water with each dose if you do. It can be dangerous. And I would instead eat right most of the time and use a fiber supplement only for the occasional cheat such as having someone's birthday cake.

More info on the many things that help with stable blood sugar and a link to the glucomannan you should read before considering using it.

Good idea, thanks for the info. Do you know if the capsule form or the powder form is more effective by any chance?

Good idea, thanks for the info. Do you know if the capsule form or the powder form is more effective by any chance?

Equal amounts would be equally effective, there's just the issue of when the capsule dissolves.

Equal amounts would be equally effective, there's just the issue of when the capsule dissolves.

That's true. Also, do you know if it will interfre with my Candida supplements Candida Clear and Candex?

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2008...-kitava_17.html

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2008...ic-islands.html

"They get an estimated 69% of their calories from carbohydrate, 21% from fat, 17% from saturated fat and 10% from protein."

"Average caloric intake is 2,200 calories per day (9,200 kJ)."

"Kitavans are not particularly active. They have an activity level comparable to a moderately active Swede, the population to which Dr. Lindeberg draws frequent comparisons."

Looking at those numbers it's quite clear that Kitavan diet is not low GL and probably not even moderate GL. But they are still free of acne.

I have started to be become more sceptic about how much role GI/GL actually plays. For healthy people it doesn't actually seem to make much difference.

It's different story for many metabolically wrecked western people who have eaten crap diets for decades though. Some just don't tolerate much carbs regardless of the glycemic load.

arent you eating raw paleo?

why if you dont think it matters?

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2008...-kitava_17.html

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2008...ic-islands.html

"They get an estimated 69% of their calories from carbohydrate, 21% from fat, 17% from saturated fat and 10% from protein."

"Average caloric intake is 2,200 calories per day (9,200 kJ)."

"Kitavans are not particularly active. They have an activity level comparable to a moderately active Swede, the population to which Dr. Lindeberg draws frequent comparisons."

Looking at those numbers it's quite clear that Kitavan diet is not low GL and probably not even moderate GL. But they are still free of acne.

I have started to be become more sceptic about how much role GI/GL actually plays. For healthy people it doesn't actually seem to make much difference.

It's different story for many metabolically wrecked western people who have eaten crap diets for decades though. Some just don't tolerate much carbs regardless of the glycemic load.

They eat resistant starchy veggies and other carbs that don't spike insulin. That the issue.

Also, there are many lifestyle issues and other nutrients involved in how well your body deals with sugar. They are the right amount of active. They get the right amount of sleep and light exposure, etc.