Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AcneMom219

Sanding Away My Scars with Dr. Fulton

Join me in my journey to healthy clear skin. My stomach is in knots. I’m nervous but I’m so excited because I know my life is about to change.

Today I’m going to have a Dermabrasion treatment. Let’s not confuse microdermabrasion to Dermabrasion. Dermabrasion is a technique that uses a wire brush (like a "BBQ cleaning the rack" brush) or a diamond wheel with rough edges (like a Dremel rotary tool you buy at The Home Depot) to remove the upper layers of the skin. This procedure injures or wounds the skin and causes it to bleed. As the wound heals, new skin grows to replace the damaged skin that was removed during dermabrasion.

Keep yourself tuned in as I am going to post pictures of the process and the day by day recovery. The pictures will be hard to look at but if you have had a similar or worse acne experience you will totally relate to my decision to get rid of the acne scars once and for all.

Go to “Hello Fellow Acneologists!†in the introduction section of Acne.org and learn about my personal Acne Story.

AcneMom219

Join me in my journey to healthy clear skin. My stomach is in knots. I’m nervous but I’m so excited because I know my life is about to change.

Today I’m going to have a Dermabrasion treatment. Let’s not confuse microdermabrasion to Dermabrasion. Dermabrasion is a technique that uses a wire brush (like a "BBQ cleaning the rack" brush) or a diamond wheel with rough edges (like a Dremel rotary tool you buy at The Home Depot) to remove the upper layers of the skin. This procedure injures or wounds the skin and causes it to bleed. As the wound heals, new skin grows to replace the damaged skin that was removed during dermabrasion.

Keep yourself tuned in as I am going to post pictures of the process and the day by day recovery. The pictures will be hard to look at but if you have had a similar or worse acne experience you will totally relate to my decision to get rid of the acne scars once and for all.

Go to “Hello Fellow Acneologists!” in the introduction section of Acne.org and learn about my personal Acne Story.

AcneMom219

I've had two dermabrasions. While the skin looks very smooth initially, the scar tissue does not grow at the same rate as normal tissue, and the scars (for me, anyway) re-appeared, although the edges were smoother. Also, I'm a pale-skinned blond, but I have some pigment loss from the dermabrasion. You might want to discuss with your doctor ways of stimulating the growth of collagen in the scar areas before or after your treatment.

AcneMom, there are many postings about dermabrasion on this site. Use the search function at the top of this page to find more comrades. Good luck! I know full well the aprehension you are feeling. Make sure you follow post dermbrasion care.

post-135594-1281726256_thumb.jpg

Little did I know just how intense the procedure was going to be… talk about WOW! I wish I took a picture of my husbands’ face after I came out because it was priceless. I thought he was going to faint! (Laughing)

I have to say that Dr. Fulton is one of the most down to earth, sweetest, informative doctors I have ever met. I felt as if I was being taken care of by a family member and not a doctor. His bed side manner is funny, comforting and he took me step by step through the entire procedure. If you are like me you’d love to see all the graphic details, so I was given a mirror…. Double WOW!

The treatment lasted about 3 hours as he was determined to sand away my scars. He did a special series of treatments back to back, so let me tell you what he did:

He performed a Vivant Extra-Strength Chemical Peel. The coats are layered using gauze and apparently this stuff is what is called “not buffered†so it’s a pure product. The first bottle is a modified jesner and he applied 4 coats starting under the chin all the way into the hair line. Then he applied the second bottle which was a 10% TCA in the same manner as the first bottle and he did 4 coats of that. He said my skin is tough so I could tolerate it. The third bottle was a 20% TCA and my skin began to turn white, meaning the layers of skin are actually detaching. This is called blanching which is what you want when you get a peel. The blanching was minimal and not full face just in certain areas so he was clear to proceed with the dermabrasion.

Dr. Fulton used both the “brush†and “Dremel toolâ€. This particular procedure he wanted to concentrate on my cheeks as that is where the most scarring had occurred. He basically went to town with my cheeks. I felt the drip drip of what I thought was water until he told me it was blood. Triple WOW! Laying on that bed, a wave of emotions went through me like a tornado. Happiness, relief, anxiousness, and just a release of a conglomeration of 30 something years of acne anguish. I never felt better, blood or no blood.

After the first round of the dermabrasion I was transferred to the fraxel room. There he meticulously fraxeled the site. Now I can tell you I felt the fraxel in the outer rims, but I held on tight and took it like a trooper. Dr. Fulton explained how the machine worked and I was excited to know this machine was going to tighten my skin and help generate elastin and collagen. After several passes of fraxel I was transferred back to dermabrasion room and got another “helping†of dermabrasion. Do not worry about the pain as Dr. Fulton used local anesthesia and I was fine.

So he went to town again on my cheeks and it did not stop there. In his sanding adventure he found calcified cysts which he cut out and stitched up. For the deeper scars he used a special tool called a biopsy punch to treat and stitch those too.

Below you can see the rawness. I assure you the pain I did feel during this procedure was worth it. The next picture is after the Sorbsan dressing (a breathable “second skinâ€) was applied and gauze was placed over that to absorb any drainage. The “Lucha Libre†(as my husband calls it) net is to keep everything in place.

Keep tuned in as I will be posting everyday a picture of my recovery. I am excited to share my journey.

post-135594-1281726302_thumb.jpg

post-135594-1281726256_thumb.jpg

post-135594-1281726302_thumb.jpg

Edited by AcneMom219

Congratulations! You are one brave person! Keep us posted with pictures! Where is Dr. Fulton located? I love his Vivant Skincare line...Sounds like he is one awsome derm...

Best of luck and speedy healing for you! Thank you so much for allowing us to travel on your journey with you. God Bless!

best of luck. Sounds like your doctor knows what he is doing and hopefully you will get better results than me. I got a spot dermabrasion on my right cheek in one area and my results are...well...bad.

wow COOL. That's a long procedure. CHEMICAL PEEL, DERMABRASION , FRAXEL , BIOPSY PUNCH , etc..

Keep updated !

Edited by eddy_if

i was using there vivant dtl spf 15 but they changed formula and added alot of octly palmaite and broke me and cant use. hope they change it. totaloe is great as is

Day 2

Drip drip drip, and leak leak leak is what I’m going through right now. Tylenol PM has kept any discomfort at bay. So far I have slept well and my children have been super supportive… “taking care of meâ€. Mind you they are 4 and 5 years old and they’ve done a great job. It hurts to eat, smile, laugh, talk and to some extent drink. I think my husband thought he was on vacation from the day to day “wifely speechesâ€, but he quickly learned sign language. (LMAO… oh it hurts)

I have super awesome pictures of the actual procedure I would like to share with you so brace yourself. I can’t thank Dr. Fulton enough for everything that he has done. His office even called me today to see how I was. From the receptionist to his aesthetic team, his staff was phenomenal. I am excited to see the results as they come and hope that my experience sheds a big bright light of hope for all my fellow acneologists.

Please share your stories with me as I am like you and here to help. However no one compares to Dr. Fulton as he is very receptive to his patients, and case studies. If you want to know more about Dr. Fulton, you should pick up a copy of Acne Rx. His book not only tells the story about his own personal battle with acne; it also explains Acne to the tee. It’s a very simple read and you’ll breeze through it in less than a week; I promise.

I am sorry if I haven’t been very receptive to answering your replies, but a girl can only take so much typing while on pain killers. I give you my word that I will reply to all of you, just stay tuned and thank you for your well wishes.

Here are my before picutres right before the procedure. I promise you that it looks like I have a big nose but I don't. At least I don't think it's realy that big. (laughing... ouch)

post-135594-1281726382_thumb.jpg

post-135594-1281726398_thumb.jpg

post-135594-1281726382_thumb.jpg

post-135594-1281726398_thumb.jpg

Edited by AcneMom219

Here is the Play by Play!

In this picture they are applying the Vivant ProPeel… now that I see the picture it’s Extra-Strength!

post-135594-1281726450_thumb.jpg

After the Peel, Dr. Fulton used local anesthesia in the cheek area. Look at that needle go.

post-135594-1281726456_thumb.jpg

Let the sanding begin....

post-135594-1281726462_thumb.jpg

post-135594-1281726450_thumb.jpg

post-135594-1281726456_thumb.jpg

post-135594-1281726462_thumb.jpg

Edited by AcneMom219

AcneMom219! We've had dermabrasion at about the same time. On opposite sides of the world. With ya in mind and spirit!

:)

But wait it gets more graphic....

Fraxel here I come....

post-135594-1281726620_thumb.jpg

Calcified Cysts begone....

post-135594-1281726662_thumb.jpg

Sand some more...

post-135594-1281726786_thumb.jpg

Scars are punctured and stitched up....

post-135594-1281726854_thumb.jpg

The "cave" in my nose will be no more....

post-135594-1281727012_thumb.jpg

post-135594-1281727063_thumb.jpg

Keep tuned as I'm going to take pictures everyday and thank you for reading my story.

Warm wishes and all the best from me to you. I need more Tylenol PM right now... until tomorrow.

post-135594-1281726620_thumb.jpg

post-135594-1281726662_thumb.jpg

post-135594-1281726786_thumb.jpg

post-135594-1281726854_thumb.jpg

post-135594-1281727012_thumb.jpg

post-135594-1281727063_thumb.jpg

Edited by AcneMom219

God Bless You!

Not only do I appreciate your thoroughness, I adore your humor in your descriptions. :) I sure hope you're not in too much pain and your healing is right on track.

Best of luck and blessings to you!

Congrats. That took alot of bravery to undergo that treatment. I wish you the best of luck. I dont think your skin looked bad before but I bet its going to look even better after this!

I, also, wanted to wish you well during your healing process. You have much support here. Keep us posted.

This is technically Day 4, but I promise to get the pictures from Dr. Fulton's visit. All is healing well; still dripping all over the place but the new skin is unbelievable.

sportsguy23 - Tell exactly what happened and were you preconditioned? Preconditioning as Dr. Fulton says is a key factor to getting optimal results. Oh and by the way... Go Dolphins! (laughing)

eddy_if - thank for the pep talk... I honestly was read the procedure but never expected the actual procedure... if you know what I mean.

jack3100 - I have had very good results using Vivant Skin Care and I enjoy the Day Treatment Lotion a lot. For a girl, I use it with my loose mineral makeup and it instantly becomes a tinted moisterizer/sunscreen protection. It does not leave a heavy oily feel on my face and its non-comedogenic... meaning no break outs. Totaloe is also a favorite for me and I keep that one in the frig because I like the way it feels cold on my skin.

holeydood - We have become Dermabrasion siblings! How is your healing coming along? Tell me about all the gory details! (I would love that)

Sassy74 - I have heard from others (except my husband) that I should be a standup comic, but if I do indeed pursue that dream... who will wash the dishes? (Certainly, NOT my husband. LMAO) Oh I do hope he does not read this.... actually I do.

Jackiey - The before pictures actually look better that the actual scars, but again everyone has "their own improvements" to make and this one is mine. I don't know if brave is the word that best fits what I went through, more like Oh My God!

*Ariana* - Thank you for the support and may the healing keep on coming!

Its 7:52 pm in my area and it's time to plce the kids to bed. I promise more to come tomorrow.

Sweet dreams everyone - May Recovery Ointment and Tylenol PM give me sweet and pleasant dreams!

All I can say is WOW!! :hifive: I have had 5 procedures, but you will be a legend around here. I can't wait to see your results. Dermabrasion was by far my toughest recuperation.

Edited by DudleyDoRight

Yeah AcneMom

I love to read every dermabrasion's thread. Because I think dermabrasion is an old technique of acne scar treatment that can give a big improvement for anyone who did by a good doctor.

I did my dermabrasion 3 years ago with a good improvement. Maybe later your screen id will not be ACNEMOM219 again but FLAWLESSMOM hehe...

Edited by eddy_if

Day 3

As promised, here is the picture from Dr. Fulton's office. This was a follow up appointment... but of course at what time was my appointment.... at 2:00 pm in the blazing Miami Sun. Let's just say Lucha Libre was covered up like a burrito! (Laughing... This is Too much) My husband drove me over and I thanked the architect for the covered parking.

post-135594-1282066963_thumb.jpg

Dr. Fulton saw how well I was doing. Re-gauzed me and sent me back to the cave of my house. I can tell you my home has become a professional movie theater because it's super dark. I enjoyed my outside time which is around 7:30 in the evening but at that time the mosquitoes come out, so go figure.

I sneaked out tonight and went to a Payless Shoe Store to buy my little ones shoes for back to school and with the exception of a little girl asking her mother in front of me why I had a "mask" it went super well. I laughed but my cheeks were not ready for that much entertainment.

The public did stare but they were all very nice. I'm also announcing that sipping juices from a straw can only take you so far, I better lose some weight over this. (laughing)

More pictures to come.

post-135594-1282066963_thumb.jpg

Day 4 & 5

Just call me Crusty AcenMom219. Talk about itch, itch & itch. Although it looks very seepy, and crusty... once the crust comes off I am in skin heaven. The swelling goes down substantially everyday and I have been able to sleep more and more on my side. I'm a side and stomach sleeper so Tylenol PM still does the trick for me and if my best friend.

I am allowed to cut away at the "second skin" when it loosens up by it self. So here is a picture of the first snipping.

post-135594-1282069109_thumb.jpg

I love the journey pictures and my poor husband gets the duty of cleaning the skin with Vivant's Green Tea and then slather Recovery Ointment with none other than q-tips. So I end up looking like a crusty grease ball... that sounds contradictory doesn't it? But it's true.

I'm feeling a lot better and I still have Day 6 and Day 7 before I'm current with my pictures.

So Stay tuned!

post-135594-1282069109_thumb.jpg

hi does dr. fulton office have email contact?. i cant locate office online thanks looks like your on your way;)