Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
X3Kell3X

how do you apply revlon colorstay foundation?

hey guys i just got my first liquid foundation (revlon colorstay for combo/oily skin) and ive tried applying it with a sponge and a brush and it just looks.. bad. can someone help me out?? how do you apply this properly?

I use a sponge and rosewater (tap water works fine).

Put a little foundation on the sponge and use 1-3 spritzes of water. You'll learn how much water is enough for you - the more you use, the more you can move around but it'll take a little longer to dry and the coverage might not be as heavy.

This foundation can quickly start to look heavy and cakey so always start with less. If you need more coverage in certain spots, just go back (after the foundation has had a bit of time to dry, 30 seconds or so) and dab the sponge on those areas.

I find that in some areas, wiping/brushing the foundation on works better and in other areas dabbing it on works better. For me, a wiping motion works fine for my chin, the edges of my face and forehead. Dabbing covers better on my cheeks, nose and eye area and I also dab where I have red marks after I apply it everywhere else.

I've been using this foundation for quite some time now and I think it takes some getting used to. If you need more tips or want my exact process I can post that, too, but it'll sound complicated lol

thank u so much!!! i tried the sponge and i ran it under water first so it was damp. then put the foundation on my hand and dabbed the sponge in it. the tricky part was the foundation didn't really absorb into my skin and on my cheeks it got all patchy when i applied it...

so what do u put on ur face before hand? i moisutized and i put a primer on... so im really confused. cuz with the primer my powder usually glides on easily. but this was different... ive never used liquid. does it apply differently?

I think it didn't stick to your face cause the sponge was most likely too moist, that's why I always spray the water onto the foundation and sponge. After this, I wipe the foundation on, one area at a time, and then once I smooth it out all over, I go back and dab the sponge on my skin. I feel like the dabbing helps it to stick better to the skin. In fact, it wouldn't hurt to just use a dabbing motion the whole time

If after you apply a layer and decide to go back and dab the sponge on your skin and it removes the foundation that you already placed, this means that the foundation hasn't had enough time to dry. Wait a few seconds, about 30-60 seconds, and go back and dab over it. Don't use the sponge in a wiping motion over foundation that is already placed on the skin - it just removes it or moves it around.

And I really disagree with the finger method :ermm:. I guess it would be easier but in my experience, my face tends to get oilier faster when I use my fingers. If nothing else works, though....

okay that makes sense about the water. so should i just moisturize first then go ahead and apply the foundation? and this time, only put a few drops of water on the sponge with the foundation on it? so basically in the foundation? and i should just do one section at a time?

I used to apply a primer before my liquid foundation but recently I've been using this vitamin C serum called Spin Trap from Vivant Skin Care. I love it my skin glows all day but doesnt get oily. I use that before make liquid make up and I dab a dot of liquid make up on the highest points of my face like nose, forehead cheeks...and then blend outward with a foundation brush. I like the brush better than sponges because they absorb alot of product and harbor baceteria that causes acne...make sure to clean your brush after every few uses with baby shampoo and lay it flat to dry. Hope this helps =)

thanks for the reply! i tried using a foundation brush from eco tools but the foundation went on streaky.. maybe i did it wrongg

okay that makes sense about the water. so should i just moisturize first then go ahead and apply the foundation? and this time, only put a few drops of water on the sponge with the foundation on it? so basically in the foundation? and i should just do one section at a time?

Yeah, go ahead and moisturize and the apply the foundation.

Personally, I don't put my foundation on until a few minutes after my moisturizer but I don't think it'll make a huge difference.

I would really recommend buying a little spray bottle. My rose water came in a spray bottle already but when I travel I use this little one that I bought at Target from the section that sells travel-sized products and cases and it sprays a really fine mist which works GREAT. You really don't need that much water at all so you can try a drop per each area of your face (which yes, I would do one section at a time). If you've tried it without water, you'll notice it's kind of hard to move it around before it starts to dry and might look splotchy. Adding a bit water makes it a lot more manageable and gives a more natural look.

Here's how I do it, brace yourself! haha

1) For my cheeks, I use the most foundation, maybe a dime-sized amount, or even less, for each cheek. I start at the bottom of the inner corner of my eye (don't get right in there cause you don't want foundation in your eye......) and smooth it out going downward diagonally. Make sure to get it to your jawline and hairline so you don't have that ring of foundation on your face. If by the time you move it out to the edge of your face there is excess foundation, you've used too much. For me, by the time I get to my jawline/hairline, there's not really any liquid left. I go back to the apple of my cheeks and dab with whatever is left on the sponge because this area doesn't absorb the makeup too well. Repeat with other cheek.

2) For the chin, a smaller area, you obviously want to use less. I put on enough to cover my chin, all the way to my neck, and the rest of my jaw where I didn't cover it from the cheek section above^.

3) By the time I'm done with my chin, the foundation on my cheeks is dry enough for me to go back and dab more foundation on. I only do this where I need more coverage. I don't add any more foundation. The sponge, being a sponge....absorbs foundation so there is enough still there if I press firmly enough (don't wipe!) to cover red marks and such.

4) Last, forehead and nose. I leave these for last because they are not among of my problem areas. I use a TINY amount for my entire forehead and for some reason, I can wipe it on there and it actually adheres. See what works for you! For my nose, I never add more foundation, again I just use what is already on the sponge and dab it on my nose. Whenever I try to wipe foundation onto my nose, it looks really streaky. Dabbing works a lot better.

So, after all that, you may find some spots that need even more coverage. Just go back with the sponge again and dab. I can cover the majority of my marks this way - for those that still show, I use a mineral powder concealer.

I know you didn't mention powder, but I use mineral foundation (which is powder) on top of colorstay and it works well for me! Hope this helps - don't be intimidated! If it doesn't look right, just try it in your free time until you get the hang of it.

Oh, another thing I do sometimes...I mix the foundation with my moisturizer and just put it on that way. This doesn't cover as well but it is easier to apply and I do this with my fingers (after I come out of the shower, so they're clean)

do u put anything on ur face before hand? and u use the revlon colorstay?

I moisturize. And no, sorry

And I really disagree with the finger method :ermm:. I guess it would be easier but in my experience, my face tends to get oilier faster when I use my fingers. If nothing else works, though....

It's what works best for me - I've tried both brushes and sponges and I don't get the same coverage/blending as I do with my fingers.

Not that I even wear foundation anymore, but whatever~

thanks for the help Nessa! im going to try the spray water or the moisturizer. i think the moisturizer might help alot! and ill do the method u told me tomorrow and let u know how it goes.

so u just use the powder to set the foundation? once i feel comfortable with the colorstay i think ill pick up a translucent powder to set it.

oh and u just mix the moisturizer in the foundation and put it on the sponge as normal?

yeah the powder helps to set the foundation and it can make it look more natural, depending on what you use.

As for mixing it with your moisturizer, I just use my fingers. I've never tried it with a sponge but it might be worth a shot

oh okay gotcha. ya ill try the water drops. what would u say a drop of water per section? and if that doesn't work ill try the moisturizer

okay so... im going to try and post pics cuz i have a bad feeling the color i chose was too dark.. but i can't tell. i might not be used to it cuz my old makeup was wayy too pale. but it worked alot better.. but i still have to get used to it. i just did the drop of water. but there are still parts where the makeup didn't really absorb all the wayy and they stand out so i might try using my primer tomorrow to see if that works. but its defiantly an improvement!!

i talked to my mom and she swears theres no line and its not too dark. i might be paranoid.... but im going to try it with a primer tomorrow.

Yeah, it looks fine in the pictures but the pictures are too small to tell. Best way to tell is in natural sunlight and even if you have to look closely to see a difference, I wouldn't be concerned about it.

Looks good as far as I can see! Not too heavy or lifeless or anything

hello Kell

yeah ive used revlon colorstay i really like it! it really does stay!! but the thing is that if i put too much i end up looking like i have a mask on so try to not put too much!!! but i cant wear it anymore im currently on accutane and i dont think it would be a good idea to put loads of makeup on my skin :naughty:

best of luck your skin looks radiant!