Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kodi

Everyday Cooking Oil

I've been told that coconut oil is great for high-heat food preparation, such as deep-frying, because it does not become trans fat easily. I did some googling, but was confused by the information I found; some say that the smoke point is as low as 290 F, while some are over 400. Can someone enlighten me on how to use coconut oil?

edit: I skimmed http://www.mnwelldir.org/docs/nutrition/coconut.htm, and it seems that all extra-virgin/virgin oils are bad for cooking. All the oils I have at home (olive, coconut) are extra-virgin, so I should switch to a refined coconut oil source, right? I'm confused. T_T

I use EVCO for cooking. I dont deep fry or anything, I just mean a little bit to coat the pan for stir frys and stuff. Ive always read this was the best or only oil suitible for cooking with.

Ive always read this was the best or only oil suitible for cooking with.

Since coconut oil is saturated fat, you can easily cook with it. The other oils, I would just avoid using them for cooking. A spray is good though since it provides enough to avoid sticking and provides barely any significant dietary fat.

I would stick with the coconut oil though...or something like butter or lard. Something that has a saturated fat content in it.

Agreed on all counts. Use refined coconut oil or lard or butter or something. A cheap alternative is to use canola oil. Very high smoking point and I like the way it flavours the foods. I can't stand sauteing somethign in EVOO.

Coconut oil mainly due to the fact at high temps its more stable so the chance of free radicals would be lower then other 'cheaper' oils. Think how hot coconuts get while thyre growing, gives abit of an idea why thyre better to cook with.

There are many oils that are better at high temps than all the above answers.

Google: smoking point of oils to get your list.

That's true about coconut oil, but keep in mind that it's a saturated fat. Many debate on it's health benefits. I like cooking in veggie broths instead of oil. Steaming is great too.

When cooking, use coconut oil or butter/ghee; it's high in saturated fat (which isn't necessarily bad for you by the way; the FDA is brain-washing us all. Like everything, just don't over-consume it) so it doesn't become trans fat easily in high heat. They are also easy to store, and do not become rancid easily, unlike olive oil, which you should use within a month or two after opening.

That's true about coconut oil, but keep in mind that it's a saturated fat. Many debate on it's health benefits. I like cooking in veggie broths instead of oil. Steaming is great too.

Olive Oil is very good. There have been many studies to show that cooking with olive oil reduces cholesterol and improves your heart. I use olive oil all of the time.

another vote for veggie/chicken broth, as long as the sodium content isn't too high

great when combined with stirfry

That's a fad I've read about in several books written mostly in the 90's by people promoting a vegan diet. That's fine if you like it, but I wouldn't do it just to avoid saturated fat. You should at least add some kind of fat to your dish, to help absorb nutrients, and since you do need fat.

Olive Oil is very good. There have been many studies to show that cooking with olive oil reduces cholesterol and improves your heart. I use olive oil all of the time.

My vote is for olive oil as well - cold pressed, extra virgin. It is a good, healthy oil. I hardly know how to cook without it anymore! Store it in the refrigerator and it will keep for months. The cold will make it really thick so place the bottle in some warm water before you want to use it.