Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
abigailwheeler

Help me PLEASE! Persistant cystic acne, tried everything

Hi Everyone,

I'm getting really deperssed about my skin, would like some advice. Quick outline:

Symptoms

-Clustered, large red angry acne around my mouth and jaw.

-Smaller pimples on my top lip

-Random larger pimples on my cheeks sometimes

-x2 large lumps under skin on forehead.

Diet

-Average day

-Breakfast: Porridge with apples and sultanas

-Snack: Blueberries

-Lunch: Lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, tuna, kidney beans and chickpea salad

-Snack: x2 Clementines

-Dinner: Omlette or Salad

-Desert: Weight Watchers Yoghurt.

Drink: 6-8 pints of water a day. Nothing Else.

Supplements Taking

-Vitamin C

-Sea Kelp

-Zinc

-Cod Liver Oil with Evening Primrose Oil

-Vitamin E

-Panothenic Acid (Vitamin B5)

Life Style

-Weight: 9stone 11ounce

-Height: 5'9" (put on 2 stone whilst travelling, lost his by exercising and not drinking alcohol in 2 months)

-Sleep: 6-8 hours/night

-Exercise: 1 hour at the gym 3/4 times a week.

-Work: Office Work

-Stress Causes: Skin and Work

Current Treatments

Oxytetracycline

Dianette (not using this as contraception)

Duac Gel (Benozyl Peroxide)

Tea Tree Cream

Once Fortnight Sunbed

Microdermabration

None of the above seem to be working. It's making me feel so depressed. My skin is now very dry from the oxytetracycline, I think the Dianette is making me even more depressed. Microdermabration makes my skin look very awesome everywhere apart from my acne which it seems to just irritate.

This all started when I was in Autralia. I was blessed with clear skin up until I was 20. Then when I was in Australia I decided to start taking Microgynon to control my periods. Biggest mistake of my life! Broke out horrendously. Came off it and my skin calmed down. Started using Duac and was pretty much fine bar the odd pimple and blemish on my chin.

Came back from Aus to the UK. Skin was perfect again. Then went on holiday to Lanzarote and just suddenly broke. Came back and started using teatree cream on it (which usually works), it just steadily got worse and worse. From a couple of ugly pimples to full blown cyctic acne. It covers my chin, looks like a red beard. It's totally knocked my confidence.

I've been to the doctor and he seems very dismissive and doesn't seem to know more than what I've found out myself.

Also, the treatments I've been using have caused premature ageing. I'm only 21 and now have quite defined lines around my mouth. So once this is all done I'll have to get fillers.

I'm totally open to any suggestions. Chinese medicine, chemical peels, laser treatment. Anything that you can tell me I'll appreciate it. I'm just at the end of my patience with this now... I've had constant angry acne since April.

Thanks in advance!!

I am so sorry you have to go thru all this. I feel terribly for you. Have you been to a dermatologist? Dermatologists have a lot more treatments in their arsenal than regular doctors. Accutane might be best for you? I know exactly how you feel right now. Keep your chin up their is hope out there :comfort:

Tea tree oil caused acne for me. I've dealt with acne since 15 and am now 28. Started using DKR a little over 2 months ago and I am finally loving my results! You may want to try it. BP works for ALL types of acne. Please check out our gallery of pictures for dkr, there are some AMAZING transformations! I'm also sorry you are going through this it is so so hard. Hope you find what you're looking for. :)

Over the last two weeks, my skin has slowly been clearing up. Now I only have one spot in the corner of my mouth (I suspect this is from my pint glass at work as I drink out of it all day every day and rarely wash it, so I washed it in boiling water today) and one on my chin. I have some pretty horrendous looking red acne scarring and the lines in the corner of my mouth from aggressive topical treatments aren't going to go away ever, but I'm feeling so much happier.

This is what I did:

I quit doing all different remedies at once and stuck to taking x2 250mg tablets of Oxytetracycilne in the morning and x2 at night. I also used Duac topical gel every night and every morning. I stopped moisturising in affected acne areas.

The thing I think made all the difference was that I deliberately gained weight.

I'm 5ft9 and I weighed 133 pounds, which was probably a little too skinny.

I stopped going to the gym (I was going 4-5 days a week, I think being sweaty so often might have been a cause).

I ate all the pizza and take aways I wanted.

I snacked on chocolate and crisps.

I put on 10 pounds in a month and my skin looks so so much healthier. Before I wasn't really eating carbs (I find them stodgey), but recently I've added bread and pizza to my diet.

I'm continuing with the oxytetracyline until the course is finished and will also keep stock of Duac just in case.

Can anyone recommend a good way to reduce red acne scarring? I have bought some vitamin E oil but I am afraid to use it yet incase it causes a break out.

I'll also do microdermabration once everything is clear to help with the fine lines.

Wish I'd taken before and after photos, sorry!

I quit doing all different remedies at once and stuck to taking x2 250mg tablets of Oxytetracycilne in the morning and x2 at night. I also used Duac topical gel every night and every morning. I stopped moisturising in affected acne areas.

Dont tell me you drink 1000mg of antibiotics every day :S

When i was on antibiotics (azitromicin, 2 times) I was taking one pill (500mg) per week, except first week when I took one per day for three days. I took 12 tablets then I stoped taking them for five months. Second time i took only 9.

Are you taking antibiotics on your own? I dont think thats a good idea if you do.

Edited by Poet

Like you I had clear skin until 21...I'm now 28 and finally over it:) the only thing that worked for me were IPL intense pluse light treatments around 6/7 I and cysts that lasted months nothing worked on them. I did research I found a place actually right by my house like a quarter mile. They are extememly painful u have to numb ur face for an hour before and they use ice. I still get small ones but nothing like I did.!! It's like it burnt all the bacteria and cysts out! I do have some scarring from it but I'm now going thru laser genesis treatments they are not painful and they warm the upper dermis and stimulate collegon production as well as healing redness and tightening pores to reduce oiliness! I've had 3 of those so far out of 6 and the results are already amazing! The scarring is healing the Oilliness is gone I get them every 2 weeks have one this coming Tuesday.'ob I also have derma planning right after the LG which is a procedure that uses a surgical blade to scrape of dead skin not pain both procurers are very relaxing for the 2 it's 160 every 2 weeks. The IPLs were around 375 sometimes they has specials that took off 100/125 dollars expensive but was well worth it for me! I had my whole right side covered. Good luck!

I will give me an hour or so about to have dinner and it need to get the pics pulled up. Kay :) I have from way before I started the IPLs a few after and I've been documenting the LGs

I wil get those pics up maybe I will message them to u! I need to look true my computer for them not tagged or in folder since it took a few months to have done(treatments)

Actually my best friend had the same problem with acne. Her mum paid for her to have the light treatment and it cured her. I unfortunately do not have that kind of money :(

I had one particularly large cyst on my forhead a few months ago. It was so big that at first I thought I had bumped my head. I left it for a month and it INCREASED in size! It was too big to squeeze and was bright red, so I decided to sterilize a needle, insert it right into the centre of the cyst and then squeeze with my fingers. So much yellow watery puss came out I nearly yakked. As soon as it began seeping blood I stopped and applied tea tree cream. Next day, it was back. I basically repeated the process on and off for a week. Eventually it went, but two months on and it is a dent in my forehead which is slightly purple. Any advice for healing this?!

Also, has anyone noticed that the particular detergent they use causes acne and if so, which brands do you recommend (I am from the UK) I currently use Fairy non-bio, but I change according to which brands are on offer so I can't trace which have caused bad skin.

try cutting out all dairy and wheat products, its really working for me :)

also try having 2-3 cups of green tea per day but make sure its decaf

do you have candida? sorry if its personal. Depending on the length of time you have had this accutane may indeed by the answer

do you have candida? sorry if its personal. Depending on the length of time you have had this accutane may indeed by the answer

What is candida...?

Also when I posted this my acne was MUCH worse. It's slowly on the mend now and I'm feeling a lot better emotionally :)

I've tried cutting both out and find it really hard to eat filling meals. What are you eating for your three daily meals? What kind of snacks do you find dairy and wheat free?

I've tried cutting both out and find it really hard to eat filling meals. What are you eating for your three daily meals? What kind of snacks do you find dairy and wheat free?

Hi Snezza

I found the same thing... My new skin diet is:

Breakfast

Porridge with fruit and water

Lunch

Oily fish with Spinnach, tomatoes, avacado, bell pepper with lemon dressing

Supper

Quorn chicken or fish with lentils and vegetables

The porridge keeps me full for about 4/5 hours, I drink lots of water with lunch to make sure that I realise that I am full earlier and I try to eat supper at 7 so that I dont get tempted to snack before bed. Lentils are SO good for filling you up!

If you need snacks, almonds are great for your skin. Drink LOTS of green tea because hot water makes you feel full.

Hope this helps :)

Hi Everyone,

I'm getting really deperssed about my skin, would like some advice. Quick outline:

Symptoms

-Clustered, large red angry acne around my mouth and jaw.

-Smaller pimples on my top lip

-Random larger pimples on my cheeks sometimes

-x2 large lumps under skin on forehead.

Diet

-Average day

-Breakfast: Porridge with apples and sultanas

-Snack: Blueberries

-Lunch: Lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, tuna, kidney beans and chickpea salad

-Snack: x2 Clementines

-Dinner: Omlette or Salad

-Desert: Weight Watchers Yoghurt.

Drink: 6-8 pints of water a day. Nothing Else.

Supplements Taking

-Vitamin C

-Sea Kelp

-Zinc

-Cod Liver Oil with Evening Primrose Oil

-Vitamin E

-Panothenic Acid (Vitamin B5)

Life Style

-Weight: 9stone 11ounce

-Height: 5'9" (put on 2 stone whilst travelling, lost his by exercising and not drinking alcohol in 2 months)

-Sleep: 6-8 hours/night

-Exercise: 1 hour at the gym 3/4 times a week.

-Work: Office Work

-Stress Causes: Skin and Work

Current Treatments

Oxytetracycline

Dianette (not using this as contraception)

Duac Gel (Benozyl Peroxide)

Tea Tree Cream

Once Fortnight Sunbed

Microdermabration

None of the above seem to be working. It's making me feel so depressed. My skin is now very dry from the oxytetracycline, I think the Dianette is making me even more depressed. Microdermabration makes my skin look very awesome everywhere apart from my acne which it seems to just irritate.

This all started when I was in Autralia. I was blessed with clear skin up until I was 20. Then when I was in Australia I decided to start taking Microgynon to control my periods. Biggest mistake of my life! Broke out horrendously. Came off it and my skin calmed down. Started using Duac and was pretty much fine bar the odd pimple and blemish on my chin.

Came back from Aus to the UK. Skin was perfect again. Then went on holiday to Lanzarote and just suddenly broke. Came back and started using teatree cream on it (which usually works), it just steadily got worse and worse. From a couple of ugly pimples to full blown cyctic acne. It covers my chin, looks like a red beard. It's totally knocked my confidence.

I've been to the doctor and he seems very dismissive and doesn't seem to know more than what I've found out myself.

Also, the treatments I've been using have caused premature ageing. I'm only 21 and now have quite defined lines around my mouth. So once this is all done I'll have to get fillers.

I'm totally open to any suggestions. Chinese medicine, chemical peels, laser treatment. Anything that you can tell me I'll appreciate it. I'm just at the end of my patience with this now... I've had constant angry acne since April.

Thanks in advance!!

Why dont you try a tropical retinoid such as adapalene or tazorac ?

I normally use La Roche-Posay effaclar products for cleansing.

Edited by msankanet