Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kittykat137

Does birth control type change effectiveness of spiro??

Hey everyone! So I've been on spironolactone for a while now and i loooooooove it. I just got raised to 50mg a day instead of 25mg and its working wonders. Anyway, I know that spiro is about 20% (if not more) more effective if taken with a birth control pill and I've been on trinessa (which is an ortho tri cyclen generic), so I know that works, but I've been wanting to switch my bc for some time now. I just want something more effective for birth control. I'm considering depo provera, nuvaring and implanon. I'm just not sure if the hormones in these types of birth control methods will be as effective as the pill in terms of treating acne. Does anyone know if it matters what kind of birth control you use with spiro? Or can it only be the pill? I talked to my nurse practitioner and she said that it shouldn't matter since I will still be getting the hormones, but I'm just not sure. I guess I could set up an appointment with my dermatologist about it, but I just figured I'd ask on here to see what any of you thought.

Thanks!!

Edited by kittykat137