Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lllvlll

Salicylic acid

So, I've noticed how my skin has been peeling ALOT, and the cheeks are really red, not the facial redness kind, but it looks raw. I don't really use anything to treat my acne, as it is now under control, but this raw redness on my cheeks are just as bad.

Besides the Neutrogena oil free acne cleanser, I currently do not use any other product to treat my face, it has 2% salicylic acid, could this be the cause of the redness? I've been using this cleanser for over a year, and never really thought IT might be the cause of the raw red look on my cheeks...

I'd like to know if anyone else had the same effect due to salicylic acid? And how do you go about eliminating the raw red look, how long would it take to heal if I stopped using this acne cleanser, and how can I speed up the process if indeed the cleanser is the cause?

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by lllvlll

I strongly doubt its the salicylic acid in the cleanser persay. Medicated cleansers in general are silly, because the medication goes down the drain rather than absorbing into your skin. In addition, the pH of a foaming cleanser is almost invariably far too high for SA to have any exfoliating effect. If anything, it's acting as an anti-inflammatory (like aspirin).

Despite lots of great botanical ingredients and anti-inflammatories, the neutrogena oil free acne cleansers are contain harsh detergents, and really aren't ideal for acne prone skin. Use a gentle cleanser like those made by CeraVe or Cetaphil.

As for healing the damage, hydrate your face generously with a non-comedogenic moisturizer.

Well the cleanser, moisturiser and treatment gel I use all have Salicylic acid in, and I havn't had any problems with redness. Maybe your skin just reacted badly to it. As said above, a gentle cleanser such as Cetaphil would be more appropriate for you.

I wouldn't think that it would cause so much redness/rawness being a 2% cleanser but you never know. When I used to use face wash and lotion with 2% sal acid in it my face was pretty sensitive. Now I use 1% and it's fine.

You could try eliminating the cleanser for a few weeks and see how you do. In the meantime, jojoba oil is a great moisturizer and sea salt water is really soothing.