Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
talliacbrooks

Getting ance medication

Hi, my name is Tallia. I am fifteen years old with hyper-pigmentation. I would like to get internal medication to help my journey to a clear face, but every time I go to my doctor he is reluctant to actual prescribe me anything. I think it might be because I'm young. I am just wondering if i can just go to my normal doctor to be prescribed acne medication or do I HAVE to go to a dermatologist?

It would be great if someone could help with my question, Thankkks.

Your regular doctor can prescribe acne medications. I've never been to a dermatologist, but at various points in the past, my GP prescribed me Clindamycin and BenzaClin.

Your regular doctor can prescribe acne medications. I've never been to a dermatologist, but at various points in the past, my GP prescribed me Clindamycin and BenzaClin.

Thanks

Do you have scarring/long lasting hyperpigmentation? That's a clear reason for a doctor to step up the treatment. It seems like you already have, but try explicitly telling the doctor that you want to try a more aggressive treatment, because you don't want to have long term scarring and dark marks. The doctor's job is to help you, so don't be scared to tell him what you need.

That said, he/she will probably suggest that you try prescription topicals like retinoids and topical antibiotics before moving on to "internal" medication. Take the advice. Systemic antibiotics are often effective, but they can also have unpleasant side effects - and they can't be taken forever. Sticking with a retinoid for a long period (3-6 months) and being consistent with application can create results even better than an antibiotic, especially for non-inflammatory acne. More importantly, you can use a retinoid indefinitely without any real risk of side effects.

Gluck!