Notifications
Clear all

Has double wear broken anyone out?

MemberMember
(@tilly87)

Posted : 08/09/2010 8:09 pm

I bought this last week after reading the good reviews here, was really excited (I couldn't get a sample in my shades in ANY of the stores I went to in London, and I went to a lot of them).

Anyways paid money, came home, put it on in the evening, went out for dinner and drinks with friends, came home and tadah new spots.

This could have happened anyway.. I mean I do have acne.

BUT there was also this slightly strange bumpy thing around my nose, were my pores are largest.. I don't know if THAT could have happened anyway.

I did not wear primer (stoopid) and I usually try to wear cover fx acne primer on top of cliniques anti blemish moisturiser before makeup - so maybe this could be it?

Or am I the one person in the world who can't use this??

PS: I don't generally break out solely due to make up. I can give recs and have always used pretty good, clean and oil free brands. Hence being shocked yet hesitant to pass judgement..

Ps: Revlon colourstay was a cheaper alternative but shades like cuppacino and caramel have been impossible to find in London.

MemberMember
(@samanthajones)

Posted : 08/10/2010 4:18 am

You mean the Estee Lauder one? No, I have been using it for a long time, it's my favourite foundation ever, never broke me out. I guess it just depends on a person, but it's supposed to be non-comedogenic

MemberMember
(@tilly87)

Posted : 08/10/2010 10:59 pm

You mean the Estee Lauder one? No, I have been using it for a long time, it's my favourite foundation ever, never broke me out. I guess it just depends on a person, but it's supposed to be non-comedogenic

Yes the estee lauder one.

I also believe it is non-comedogenic and based on reviews I did not expect this, especially as makeup itself has never been to blame, sometimes creams, not makeup.. After all I break out when I'm makeup free too.

Will try again over weekend when i can stay in and reverse effects.

MemberMember
(@laurahhh)

Posted : 08/11/2010 4:52 am

I've worn it for a year and it never has, though you do need to make sure you remove it all at night. I don't wear a primer under it either anymore as the primer was breaking me out.

MemberMember
(@leighbrack2)

Posted : 08/11/2010 10:53 am

Yes! It can cause breakouts! I am an advocate against mainstream cosmetics as I blame them for my acne growing up, my acne cleared by switching from mainstream products to natural/organic ones. It is all about finding the purest products with the least amount of ingredients possible. Check out the ingredient listing from Estee Lauder double wear. It is a chemical mix. If you had a allergy causing acne to one of the ingredients in this formula that was breaking you out which ingredient would it be? There is no way for you to tell when it has countless chemicals and synthetic ingredients. Here is the ingredients...........

ACTIVE INGREDIENT: TITANIUM DIOXIDE 5.00% INGREDIENTS: WATER\AQUA\EAU, CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, TRIMETHYLSILOXYSILICATE, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, TRIMETHYL PENTAPHENYL TRISILOXANE, PHENYL TRIMETHICONE, MAGNESIUM SULFATE, POLYGLYCERYL-3 DIISOSTEARATE, SILICA, TRIBEHENIN, PEG-10 DIMETHICONE, BIS-PEG PPG-14 14 DIMETHICONE, ETHYLHEXYLGLYCERIN, PHENYL METHICONE, SODIUM HYALURONATE, DIMETHICONE, POLYGLYCERYL-4 ISOSTEARATE, LAURETH-7, GLYCERIN, POLYMETHYLSILSESQUIOXANE, HEXYL LAURATE, CETYL PEG PPG-10 1 DIMETHICONE, CHAMOMILLA RECUTITA (MATRICARIA), DISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITE, METHICONE, PROPYLENE CARBONATE, TETRAMETHYL HEXAPHENYL TETRASILOXANE, CELLULOSE GUM, XANTHAN GUM, DIMETHICONE SILYLATE, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, ALUMINA, SORBIC ACID, CHLORPHENESIN, PHENOXYETHANOL, [+ - IRON OXIDES (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), TITANIUM DIOXIDE (CI 77891), MICA, BISMUTH OXYCHLORIDE (CI 77163), FERRIC AMMONIUM FERROCYANIDE (CI 77510)]

Regardless what some people may say, SILICONES (dimethicone, methicone, CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, etc) all can cause major breakouts. Silicones work as a humectant by putting a seal over the skin that can be likened to saran wrap, the skin cannot breathe and breakouts can occur. Sometimes it can take a while for you to break out so you assume it is something else or you always are broken out and just assume you "have acne" and that is the way it is. PEGS are not good at all, Bismuth oxychloride has a high allergy rating and is known to cause itching, rash and acne. Silica can also cause breakouts in some people. TRUST ME- NEVER GO BY IF IT SAYS NON COMODEOGENIC OR NON ACNEOGENIC this is a mainstream phrase and means NOTHING. ANyone can say this on any product, there are no guidelines or agencies to keep these phrases monitored. You can make your own skincare at home and see better results than most mainstream skincare. I am trying to help out with years of uneccessary breakouts. Good luck!~

MemberMember
(@rubyw)

Posted : 02/19/2011 9:02 am

I bought this last week after reading the good reviews here, was really excited (I couldn't get a sample in my shades in ANY of the stores I went to in London, and I went to a lot of them).

Anyways paid money, came home, put it on in the evening, went out for dinner and drinks with friends, came home and tadah new spots.

This could have happened anyway.. I mean I do have acne.

BUT there was also this slightly strange bumpy thing around my nose, were my pores are largest.. I don't know if THAT could have happened anyway.

I did not wear primer (stoopid) and I usually try to wear cover fx acne primer on top of cliniques anti blemish moisturiser before makeup - so maybe this could be it?

Or am I the one person in the world who can't use this??

PS: I don't generally break out solely due to make up. I can give recs and have always used pretty good, clean and oil free brands. Hence being shocked yet hesitant to pass judgement..

Ps: Revlon colourstay was a cheaper alternative but shades like cuppacino and caramel have been impossible to find in London.

Hi from a fellow black woman in London! Have you tried Bellapierre or Lily Lolo? They don't seem to cause breakouts at all and are made with natural ingredients.

MemberMember
(@hiyaiam)

Posted : 03/02/2011 8:35 pm

Yes! It can cause breakouts! I am an advocate against mainstream cosmetics as I blame them for my acne growing up, my acne cleared by switching from mainstream products to natural/organic ones. It is all about finding the purest products with the least amount of ingredients possible. Check out the ingredient listing from Estee Lauder double wear. It is a chemical mix. If you had a allergy causing acne to one of the ingredients in this formula that was breaking you out which ingredient would it be? There is no way for you to tell when it has countless chemicals and synthetic ingredients. Here is the ingredients...........

ACTIVE INGREDIENT: TITANIUM DIOXIDE 5.00% INGREDIENTS: WATER\AQUA\EAU, CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, TRIMETHYLSILOXYSILICATE, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, TRIMETHYL PENTAPHENYL TRISILOXANE, PHENYL TRIMETHICONE, MAGNESIUM SULFATE, POLYGLYCERYL-3 DIISOSTEARATE, SILICA, TRIBEHENIN, PEG-10 DIMETHICONE, BIS-PEG PPG-14 14 DIMETHICONE, ETHYLHEXYLGLYCERIN, PHENYL METHICONE, SODIUM HYALURONATE, DIMETHICONE, POLYGLYCERYL-4 ISOSTEARATE, LAURETH-7, GLYCERIN, POLYMETHYLSILSESQUIOXANE, HEXYL LAURATE, CETYL PEG PPG-10 1 DIMETHICONE, CHAMOMILLA RECUTITA (MATRICARIA), DISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITE, METHICONE, PROPYLENE CARBONATE, TETRAMETHYL HEXAPHENYL TETRASILOXANE, CELLULOSE GUM, XANTHAN GUM, DIMETHICONE SILYLATE, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, ALUMINA, SORBIC ACID, CHLORPHENESIN, PHENOXYETHANOL, [+ - IRON OXIDES (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), TITANIUM DIOXIDE (CI 77891), MICA, BISMUTH OXYCHLORIDE (CI 77163), FERRIC AMMONIUM FERROCYANIDE (CI 77510)]

Regardless what some people may say, SILICONES (dimethicone, methicone, CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, etc) all can cause major breakouts. Silicones work as a humectant by putting a seal over the skin that can be likened to saran wrap, the skin cannot breathe and breakouts can occur. Sometimes it can take a while for you to break out so you assume it is something else or you always are broken out and just assume you "have acne" and that is the way it is. PEGS are not good at all, Bismuth oxychloride has a high allergy rating and is known to cause itching, rash and acne. Silica can also cause breakouts in some people. TRUST ME- NEVER GO BY IF IT SAYS NON COMODEOGENIC OR NON ACNEOGENIC this is a mainstream phrase and means NOTHING. ANyone can say this on any product, there are no guidelines or agencies to keep these phrases monitored. You can make your own skincare at home and see better results than most mainstream skincare. I am trying to help out with years of uneccessary breakouts. Good luck!~

I am sorry to tell you this as I can see that natural products work greatly for you. Just want to throw this out to everyone here. I have used many natural skincare and makeup; many of them broke me out. It is not until I used the Clarins Everlasting Foundation and the Estee Lauder Double-Wear foundation that it stopped. Yes, some people do get breakouts from what you call "chemical" products, but sometimes it is the other way around. All matter are composed of elements. Chemicals are just compounds of elements. Of course, if it is not the right mix it can be VERY dangerous for people. However, if you have the right mix, it can be very beneficial. A lot of effective medicines for acne are also chemical mixes. I wish you guys all the best on your journeys to find the right things for you.

MemberMember
(@minty-peas)

Posted : 03/08/2011 7:47 pm

Yep. I purchased Double Wear for the first time a few weeks ago. After about a week or so of daily use I started breaking out, including a potential monster pimple on the side of my nose which I managed to nip in the bud with AHA and BP.

So yeah, it did cause breakouts for me. I do like it, though, and it matches my skin perfectly (something I was never able to get with drugstore brands). I used Almay foundation before this and it never broke me out, but it didn't match my skin color.

MemberMember
(@iceez)

Posted : 03/17/2011 10:50 am

I am using Double Wear Light and it has not broken me out. MAC broke me out and started my horrible acne. Now i am using accutane for it. GRRR. Double wear light is amazing, oil free, non acegenic. MY friend had really bad acne (she didnt take anything for it, It was all estee lauder that helped her) and she used three products that helped her so much 1. Double wear light 2. Idealist serum and 3. nutrious 2 in 1 cleanser (only at nordstrom). Amazing stuff I am using all three right now to prevent acne and aging. That cleanser is amazing!

MemberMember
(@redvengeance)

Posted : 07/18/2011 2:19 pm

Havent worn the Estee Lauder Double Wear in a LOOOONG time, but just got some again (because after my baby my skin is too blotchy and red again). I have been treated for some time by a derm doc and it doesnt seem like anything helps!

Anyhoo, what I have is a bunch of tiny, itchyish little bumps on my face and jawline EXACTLY where I just tested out the shade of the Double Wear! What the heck? I am amazed. I used to use the stuff all the time, and now that I think about it, I did break out more often when I did use it. I thought it was because it coated my skin or something....BUT GET THIS...

A while ago, I bought a product called Silk Elements MegaSilk Heat Protecting Spray. Wonderful stuff for the hair, but it gave me the same freaky little bumps on my face and neck! Itchy freaky and horrible! Anyway, so looking at the ingredients, a very short list for this product, I figured it out...I believe that am allergic to CYCLOPENTASILOXANE! And that makes sense! Double Wear and Silk Elements are chock full of the garbage! In addition to this, I just learned that CYCLOPENTASILOXANE was removed from Pantene conditioners. I couldnt use that stuff for years because I was sure it was behind a lot of my breaking out! Just tried it again the other day after BF brought some home and NO PROBLEM. Hmmm...

So give it some thought and if you noticed any other products that made your skin worse, compare labels. Maybe you can figure out a common ingredient that you could be sensitive to! Right now, I am going to check out anything I have with the crud in it and eliminate it from my regimen. I will post again to let everyone know if I have luck!

MemberMember
(@uklady)

Posted : 07/22/2011 11:18 am

I've been using double wear for years and I don't believe it contributed to my acne. During all those years, I've had clear spells and breaking out spells and the worst acne I ever got was on my neck, where I don't wear any makeup.

MemberMember
(@esteedwuser)

Posted : 09/02/2011 10:31 am

I've been using double wear for years and I don't believe it contributed to my acne. During all those years, I've had clear spells and breaking out spells and the worst acne I ever got was on my neck, where I don't wear any makeup.

Me too! And it is really beginning to get me down. I have been wearing Double Wear for about 3 years. I love it, I recommend it to everyone because it looks so lovely on and it's easy (no powder / concealer) But, even though I've never suffered from acne in my life, after a couple of months using this foundation my lower neck started to get big bumps which were itchy and then would eventually turn in to big deep white heads. Then they spread to my jaw line and near and on my earlobes - they are very painful there. Now my neck/jawline is very bumpy and I know that they will all eventually become these big spots =( I'm beginning to notice scarring from me picking them... =/

I cleanse my face and neck very thoroughly every evening but it makes no difference so unfortunately I think I will be changing products soon.

Last year I got a Bare Minerals starter kit for a christmas present and my neck cleared up but I found using it so much effort that I just went back to Estee when I'd used it all up... and back came the spots.

It is definately the makeup that is causing this. I'm just going to have to suffer and spend longer doing my makeup to avoid these spots!

MemberMember
(@sofiesofie)

Posted : 06/12/2013 9:11 am

Well i warn everybody from ESTEE LAUDER DOUBLE WEAR Foundation who have sensitiv skin or tendency to acne.

I`ve use it about 5 months and during this time i bacame more and more acne on my chin-jawline.the sale women didn`t told me anything.

i didn`t suggest that the cause was this foundation, so i was going to hospital and let make all the tests and check ups, that can cause acne ( like hormon test, different bloodtests, and many more) the doctors sad it was all alright with my body and my system, so in the end after 2 months ,the Result was COSMETIC CAUSE ACNE!

The only one reason was this foundation,i didn`t use any other product during this time,

now i am going to accouse this company because of this harm on my skin and my mental health.

Picture is taken after 4 moths of using double wear.

check out!

post-210804-0-32202300-1371046700_thumb.

post-210804-0-39608500-1371046710_thumb.

post-210804-0-32202300-1371046700_thumb.

post-210804-0-39608500-1371046710_thumb.

MemberMember
(@sorbet)

Posted : 06/14/2013 8:00 pm

Estee Lauder Double Wear Light definitely broke me out, I got these red bumps/rash on my chin. When I stopped using it they went away.

I searched for ages for something that wouldn't break me out, and I use Lancome Teint Idole Ultra 24hr now, which is non-comedogenic etc. It's the first long-wear foundation I've found that doesn't break me out, so it's my HG foundation. I wear it for dates and going out, but I just use Alima Pure mineral makeup for uni, and seeing friends and whatever. The coverage is so good, especially with the concealer.

MemberMember
(@avada-kedavra-acne)

Posted : 06/15/2013 12:05 am

..... Any product can break people out. What works for one, may not work for another because everyone skin is created different. And as for noncomedogenic labels on products- i dont understand why companies are even allowed to place this on a label. I did a paper on the food, drug, and cosmetic act and its unlawful for any company to place something on a label that is misleading to a customer. And a product labeled "non-comedogenic" is completely bogus and misleading because it can still cause irritation. Its so difficult to recommend a product to someone because each skin is their own and not like the other. I just stick to products without fragrance, and very little ingredients. good luck! Its best to research something like foundation before purchasing and going to macy's or somewhere or sephora and getting a sample of it.

MemberMember
(@featherbriefcase)

Posted : 08/16/2013 5:29 pm

I am a guy and I wear makeup. I worked at MAC in college.

I do not think this foundation will break you out. It is advertised as being non-comedogenic. I don't think that EL would advertise it as such just as a marketing ploy to get people to buy their products. If it has a reputation of breaking people out, people won't buy it. EL has chemists who test these products for their irritancy and propensity to cause break outs.

I think this is a great product. There is an excellent shade range - from the very palest to the darkest, with warm, cool and neutral undertones. Its also so opaque that you don't need to use a separate concealer. A little will go a long way.

I do have some suggestions:

1) Never apply to a pimple that has just popped or is oozing. You risk spreading acne causing bacteria to other parts of your face. I think its best to not use any foundation and wait until your skin has cleared enough so that this is not an issue.

2) ALWAYS remove your makeup using a makeup remover before you cleanse. Your cleanser WILL NOT take this off and this is what probably causes people to break out.

3) Pour the product onto the back of your hand. NEVER shake it using your fingers or you will contaminate the whole bottle. EL hasn't put a pump on this foundation because its a clogs the pumps (this is what happens to the foundations that are used at the counter which do have pumps)

4) Make sure you are exfoliated and moisturized or else this foundation will settle in dry skin and look horrible.

Hope this helps.

MemberMember
(@madeleine24)

Posted : 08/19/2013 9:07 pm

You have to remove it really well.

Makeup wipes and cleanser. Or double cleanse.

MemberMember
(@carissaf26)

Posted : 03/23/2014 11:49 am

This is so weird that I found this on here. I have been going to the dermatologist for a year and I have tried Veltin, Climidamycin, Differin and Oracea. Nothing is working. Then I thought about my makeup and it has all gotten WAY Worse since I started to use Doube Wear Stay in Place Flawless Concealor and the Light Double Wear Foundation. I think this stuff may have made it worse. I don't understand because it says non-comogenic (Spell?) UGH