Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AutonomousOne1980

stress and disease relationships

I've noticed that when I am busy - and that often means, to a certain extent, stressed - my skin is pretty clear. But during times when I have a lot of time on my hands, I break out. So when I came to this idea in the article, it struck me as very relevant:

"The moral is that the most dangerous kinds of stress don’t feel that stressful. It’s not the late night at the office that’s going to kill us; it’s the feeling that nothing can be done. The person most at risk for heart disease isn’t the high-powered executive anxious about their endless to-do list — it’s the frustrated janitor stuck with existential despair."

I've noticed that when I am busy - and that often means, to a certain extent, stressed - my skin is pretty clear. But during times when I have a lot of time on my hands, I break out. So when I came to this idea in the article, it struck me as very relevant:

"The moral is that the most dangerous kinds of stress don’t feel that stressful. It’s not the late night at the office that’s going to kill us; it’s the feeling that nothing can be done. The person most at risk for heart disease isn’t the high-powered executive anxious about their endless to-do list — it’s the frustrated janitor stuck with existential despair."

busy may not mean stressed. you may break out more because you have more time to worry about things and events about your future or even the past.

lets not confuse what we mean by stress, its a hard term to communicate, its an intangible idea that cannot simply be pointed to, its possible thats why people can also be stressed and not know it, they may not have a very good awareness of different subjective states and how to label them. stress is generally, any unwanted physical/emotional state of being, that persists.usually some sort of demand, that is hard to meet, mentally, physically,emotionally whatever. In the case of what the social heriarchy may mean is that the monkeys on the low end, know that things in life are more threatening, which would be evident in any objectivly measureable stress hormones intensity and duration, i do believe that core concept here is threats to survival, and generally safety needs being met, the monkeys that are higher up, get fed first, and food is shared with them more often by other monkeys. The lower monkeys are anticipating greater threats to their well being. in the end, in monkeys lives and humans, eventually the very concept of friendship and social acceptance can be strongly associated with safety, the people we have to help us out, real friends, not fake ones, this is good for stress buffering.

Edited by AutonomousOne1980

What an interesting article. I've definitely noticed that even if my diet has cleared my skin, a bit of sleep deprivation and some stress will get me a pimple or two.